PFQ Banner

This is PokéFarm Q, a free online Pokémon collectables game.

Already a user? New to PFQ?

General Feedback thread

Forum Index > PokéFarm > Discussion >

Pages: 12345··· 206207208

Holmes's AvatarHolmes
Well after seeing the site as a member instead of just a lurker (and getting rid of the "PF Green" color XD), I have to say I like it more than I thought I would. The whole design of the site seems more complicated and I'm having trouble finding my way around... It'll take some getting used to obviously, I'm enjoying it for the most part so far. Sorry in advance if I sound a bit critical. This is all so new. I'm triyng not to compare to the old PF too much.
Er, I guess I'll start with things I don't really care for:

xx

Personally, I don't like the party page or user pages. It requires too much scrolling to click and I imagine that, once there are more users to click, clicking quickly would be a lot more difficult and take time to get used to. Maybe making the parties smaller, on your own party page or on user pages, could be an Ult. upgrade? If it's not already planned to make it smaller. Kind of like how you can have a smaller banner on regular PF with an Ult. account to reduce scrolling. Also I'm still not a big fan of how... "thin" the page is. Is there a way to change that in the skin settings? Or the background at least? It doesn't looks bad but the background is kind of distracting to me. I tried to get rid of it but I don't know how... Maybe I'm missing something? I mean the picture of the mountain or whatever it is. Maybe it isn't finished but I don't like how you can't see a preview of what you're typing on the "Full Editor" thing when making a post. ^^; It makes it harder for me. No more Mature subforum? ;^; I don't like how you can't sort users on the online list by whether you've clicked them or not, unless I've missed it. Farm page is too complicated for my liking. >w< The last thing I can think of for now is, honestly, it feels too much like GPX+ here. I don't know if that was what you were going for or not, but the design reminds me of it a lot even as a member and I still don't care for it much. I like the simplicity of PF over all of the hover-thingies, side-ways scrolling (farm page, etc), and super rounded corners/shadows... Again, it'll take some getting used to. Just giving my opinion on it. The design is very nicely done, though. It's just my personal preference.

And the good...

xx

I had trouble figuring out what some of the color options were for when making new skins but maybe that's just me. I love how it's easier, which is good for those who don't know anything about coding, and I especially love that we can make our own banners now. I like how the eggs are half-way ready to hatch already. Or maybe it was just the starter egg, I forget. Either way, it made things easier since there aren't many people here to click you yet. I hope it stays that way for the starters. It might make new users more likely to stick around. I kind of wish I'd picked Skitty as my starter again. XD I like how there are more starter options and you actually *know* what you're getting (I think with PF it was just the description of the eggs that you had to go on? I forget). The forums looks really nice and well put together. Only complaint with it is that the main forum sections (Suggestions, Announcements, Bugs) don't stand out much from the subforums in them. The Pokedex looks nice as well, I like how it shows you statistics on the page. Makes things easier. The "random eggs/Pokemon" thing is cool too. Though like someone else said, will this just make people rage more about 1-clickers, or will it make people be more understanding? Who knows. I like it either way. The animation for egg hatching is really cute. Though I can imagine it would get annoying during a shiny hunt. An option to disable it would be nice (though I haven't explored the Tools section much, so). I like how we can change the capitalization of our usernames. I still think charging a small fee (real money) would be cool for username changes though. Another site I used to be on charged $20 per change and it seemed to be really profitable for them. Like I said in the previous hide box, I don't care for the design much. But it does look very nice. c: Oh and I just discovered how much better the "edit post" thing is. OH! And I like how we can now make skins available for other users. I am so going to do that, like, a lot, once I get the hang of making skins on here.
Leaving this here for now because I'm too hungry to keep typing. xD I haven't explored a whole lot yet so I'll probably post again/edit this at some point.
Nightmare's AvatarNightmare
I agree with StarDustx on how everything is completely different than on PF. I very much liked the simplicity of it because it was extremely easy to navigate and find everything you needed. With this new system it is extremely difficult to find anything at all... Everything is in a completely different location. Things I Dislike: -The sideways scrolling on the farm page, true it is quicker to get to your desired location, granted you know where everything is which seems near impossible, but it was much simpler when you had drop menus that you just clicked. -The field clicking system because it is slow and takes too much time just to click a single pokemon. I much preferred using the berry-band to quick-click berry and then pokemon, instead now we have to click a pokemon, wait for the page to load, figure out which berry it likes, click the berry, and then wait for the menu to disappear. Although there is the small upside of not double-clicking and being taken to a summary page, I find the bad outweighs the good for this. -I'm not too fond of how the user-pages are set up. it just seems cluttered and a mess. Status-type thing within the trainer card, information that used to be mini-log/Main log type thing under that, and an over-extended party menu beside it. It just seems like a jumbled up mess. -You no longer get a preview on the forums or anything. It's just a textbox, exactly the same as the quick reply box, just at the top of the page... what exactly is the point of that? O.o Just a little odd to me. However let's get to some good so I don't seem rude... Things I Like: -The eggs you receive are partially hatched, like the professor was actually taking care of it, as it should be, and you just pick up where they left off. I find it makes more logical sense although makes hatching eggs a little easier. -I enjoy the new pokedex setup as it seems a little more organized, where you can see right off the bat the percentage you have completed for each individual region. You can then also choose to search for a specific pokemon or see a full list. It's just a little more organized, so I like it. -I also like the fact that you can create your own little menus for the current page you are on. It makes accessing friend's pages or a specific page much quicker. I find that incredibly useful. -The skins and ability to change the color of preferred berries and disliked berries are pretty interesting and I think I would like it if I could ever figure out how to get it to work while on other users' pages, unless it only works on your own. But I'm still trying to figure it out as I go a little. -I partially like how the party page is set up now since it is much easier to move them around and get to their pages without having to scroll in a circle until you reach the pokemon/egg you are looking for. -I also enjoy the fact that you no longer need to go to a pokemon's summary in order to hatch/evolve it. I find that quite useful and quick. I think that's about all I can think of for now... Sorry if I sounded like an ass in the beginning, it was all just personal preferences and such. I personally just find it easier to navigate things that are made less complex and don't have you running in circles trying to find something >_<
Niet [Adam]'s AvatarNiet [Adam]
I'd just like to remind you that this site is in development, meaning things are may not be finished yet. While feedback (both positive and negative) is good, I feel like some of you are treating me like an idiot with just how harsh you're being. To answer a few... If you can find a better way to organise a 100x100 canvas, five 48x48 buttons, with enough room for the name, level/EXP and flavour preference, by all means, suggest it! I have tried, this is by far the most compact view I've been able to produce. In the case of user pages, it may seem like a bad layout, until you notice that the "About <username>" box can expand so that the bottom reaches the bottom of the party. Having the user's party arranged like it is on the Party page would result in a very large empty space that cannot be filled. Again, this design was decided on after trying several others and planning a dozen more on paper, this is the best I could find. The second-best alternative would be to have just the user's information on the User Page, and add a "Party" link next to the "Fields" one. Again, if you can come up with a better design, please share! The Field Clicking system is currently a placeholder. It works, but I'm well aware that it's not the best. I'm thinking something along the lines of "select a basket of berries and feed the Pokémon you click with that type of berry", kind of deal, so you choose a berry and it goes back to one-click interactions. The Live Preview is majorly flawed on PF1 and I was not satisfied with how horrendously laggy it gets, especially on mobile devices and low-power computers. It also has a tendancy to randomly scroll for an indeterminable reason. @Nightmare: A preview button IS available, right next to the "Post" button. Additionally the "Full Editor" textarea is resizable by dragging the coloured area underneath it. @StarDustx: For safety reasons, the Mature forums have the additional condition that your account must be at least a month old. This allows enough time to find, for example, the people who claim to be a hundred years old or born on such outrageous dates that the database can't even handle it. As for the users online list, how was I supposed to test a sort function when there was rarely more than one user online? Now that there's more, I can add it, but it is low priority compared to major features and bugfixes. @Nightmare: PF1's design is what I like to call "soooo last milennium". PFQ has been fitted with a completely up-to-date look, fitting for the world of HTML5 and CSS3. And finally, back to @StarDustx, may I ask how exactly this site "feels like GPX+"? GPX+ uses a modern, HTML5/CSS3 design. PFQ does too. So does Google, and a large number of other sites. Tooltips are commonplace, transitions rule the world and gradients, shadows and 3D effects are the pinnacle of an advanced site. In my case, having programmed everything using just plain Vanilla JavaScript, I take particular pride in that.
So like I said, feedback is good, but please try to take into consideration that a heck of a lot of work has gone into this, and even more with just pen and paper, and work is still ongoing. Please try to express your opinions without making me feel like Wheatley, 'kay? ;)
Clip from Pokémon anime, re-lined by me
-- OMNOMNOM!
Featured story: Injustice Feedback welcome!
Holmes's AvatarHolmes
Sorry, wasn't trying to make you feel like... Wheatley? aha. I kept in mind that things may be changed while I was writing it, I was just going by how it is in it's current version. c: The mature forums thing makes sense, I didn't think of that. I just thought maybe you got rid of it. It's not that active on the current PF anyways. And I didn't stop to think maybe people would need to be online to code it. But I figured you would add it later anyways. I think it's just the way boxes are shaped and all of the shading. I know tons of sites do that now, it was just the first that came to mind since it's a "competitive" site. I prefer it over their design though, which is way more busy and even harder to navigate. I just like simple things more (no shading/smooth corners, etc), but I can adapt. It's still PF. <3 My personal preferences aside, it looks great and it's obvious you put tons of work into it. Personally I like the way the userpage is set up, it reminds me of how PF1 used to look and I think it would look great once someone actually filled the "about" thing to the bottom. The huge party would definitely look less odd if it was filled to the bottom. Oh and that reminds me, the moving Trainer cards are awesome. I freaked out to one of my friends when I realized they can be flipped. :P I like how the field scrolls too, and I just checked how you click and I don't mind that much either. I think it's easier than it is on PF1. It would be a lot faster even, maybe, if someone arranged their fields in a grid position. The "I'm a teapot" image is adorable. xD Sorry if any/all of this is all over the place or makes no sense. I'm completely exhausted. x_x
Nightmare's AvatarNightmare
I don't mean to sound harsh or cruel in any way, it's just you're going from PF1 which is simplistic and basic to something of this caliber. It takes some serious adjusting to even begin to start understanding where everything is and how everything works. I just thought it was overly-done and complex. I, personally, prefer simpler things because they are easier to navigate and figure out how things work. Although a little extra doesn't always hurt, in this case, speaking in gaming terms, you're going from level 1 to level 20 in one shot, it's a very large difference. But as I said it is only a personal preference, I'll still try my best to fully understand this new site and try to get used to it as best I can. As for the forum replying, when I hit preview it didn't show what I was writing, so assumed it didn't work or something. But now I see that it shows what you've done after you've finished. That was my mistake, just going to take a little getting used to not seeing it on the side is all. :p I didn't mean any disrespect or to demean anything you've done, as I know it must've taken some serious time, work, and effort to put together. I do apologize if I made it seem that way. And I know you've only just begun working on it and things are very likely to still change here and there. Perhaps after some time when you've gotten most of your ideas within the game, I'll like it that much more. I only meant to give feedback, I am truly sorry if it sounded as though I was rejecting your work. I very much appreciate that you have taken time to put something like this together for everyone and try to give the best online gaming experience possible.
Methos's AvatarMethos
Quick question. Is the ad bar required to be that shape, size, and location? It's just that there's a lot of room off to the sides for vertical ads, and it would free up a bit of scrolling during clicking... mind you, I have no idea what the ad requirements are. Or if making sure the site is playable by mobiles would prevent it.
Official site avatar. Current site avatars were created by the lovely DuchessLunaire.
I apologise for snapping last night. It was 3 in the morning and I was getting quite irritable. You guys didn't deserve me attacking you like that, and it was unprofessional and wrong for me to do so. That said, I really appreciate that you seem to have understood my underlying feelings. I get the impression that PFQ's community will be just as fantastic as PF1's ^_^

QUOTE originally posted by Methos

Quick question. Is the ad bar required to be that shape, size, and location? It's just that there's a lot of room off to the sides for vertical ads, and it would free up a bit of scrolling during clicking... mind you, I have no idea what the ad requirements are. Or if making sure the site is playable by mobiles would prevent it.
It's not required, but it's the best format available. Using Project Wonderful means that ad revenue is put directly back into advertising PF elsewhere. It give unparalleled (sp?) control over which ads appear (hence the "Report bad ad" button) but on the other hand it doesn't pay as much as "targeted" ads like Google. If I were using AdSense, then sure I wouldn't be against using a vertical ad instead of the horizontal one, but with PW I need to give the ad prime position for it to work.
Kimie's AvatarKimie

QUOTE originally posted by Niet

In the case of user pages, it may seem like a bad layout, until you notice that the "About <username>" box can expand so that the bottom reaches the bottom of the party. Having the user's party arranged like it is on the Party page would result in a very large empty space that cannot be filled. Again, this design was decided on after trying several others and planning a dozen more on paper, this is the best I could find. The second-best alternative would be to have just the user's information on the User Page, and add a "Party" link next to the "Fields" one. Again, if you can come up with a better design, please share!
I think the design is good as it is even if you have to scroll a little... the only other thing I could think of is to put the party at the top and the Trainer Card + About [username] at the bottom. And to have more space for the About [username] part you could display both Trainer Card sides at the same time without the flipping. Something like this: But I think I like the current layout better and it would take away the card flipping, but something like this would be easier for clicking on mobile devices and so.
I like the hatching animation. It's really cool. :) I have a quick question though: could the highlighted berry (for berry preference) be a little brighter? I'm not sure if it's only me, but I can hardly see it, I have to look closely.
Call me "Padfoot" please. They/them. Avatar done by panpixel Flarotis design by PFQ

QUOTE originally posted by PadfootTheWolf

I like the hatching animation. It's really cool. :) I have a quick question though: could the highlighted berry (for berry preference) be a little brighter? I'm not sure if it's only me, but I can hardly see it, I have to look closely.
You can edit the colours yourself. The Skin system is a lot easier to use here than on PF1, it'd only take a minute. It's on the Farm Page, under Options.

Pages: 12345··· 206207208

Cannot post: Please log in to post

© PokéFarm 2009-2024 (Full details)Contact | Rules | Privacy | Reviews 4.6★Get shortlink for this page