PFQ Banner

This is PokéFarm Q, a free online Pokémon collectables game.

Already a user? New to PFQ?

Proposal to Rename Albino and Melanistic Pokemon

Forum Index > Core > Announcements > News Archive >

Pages: 123··· 313233

Cele's AvatarCele
Hello there! Let's get right down to business, shall we? We're looking at the idea of renaming Albinos and Melans for both PFQ and PFNew because there's either misconceptions about what these words mean on PokéFarm for the sprites, or there's some sort of general disconnect. It's not our idea -- users have suggested renaming them a few times to get rid of this issue so we're considering it. Either way, it's possibly new name time... and we'd like your input! There's a few requirements that these names will need to stick by.
  • There should be an implied progression of rarity where Shiny is the lowest tier, Albino or "light" is the medium tier, and Melanistic or "dark" is the rarest tier.
  • For Albinos, words that imply light in colour without outright being "pure white" are wanted. Names should avoid the implication that Albino Pokemon are weak.
  • For Melans, words that imply dark in colour without outright being "pure black" are wanted, but references that imply Dark-type or "shadow" should be avoided in order to keep away from Shadow Pokemon, which are a canonical thing. We would also like to avoid words that imply that Melanistic Pokemon are evil.
  • Real words are generally preferred, but if a made-up word especially stands out (i.e. Temtem's "Luma") it may be considered.
  • Having a catchy or attractive nickname is a bonus (i.e. Melanistic being "Melans"), but not a requirement.
At the moment, we are currently looking at a few possibilities! These are given in no particular order. Not all issues with names are listed, because sometimes the reasoning is more complex than I'd like to note here -- I'm trying to keep it relatively succinct. Names for Albino Pokemon Names for Melanistic Pokemon We'd really like your suggestions, so please leave a comment. Thank you for your help!
sig code and sig bg image made by me
OBESYX's AvatarOBESYX
How does "Pastel" sound for a potential new Albino name? Most albinos aren't even white, anyway, it seems more accurate to what they generally tend to look like IMO. While Stygian for the new Melan name sounds *very* cool, it does have that "evil" theme to it (comes from the word Styx, a river in the Underworld of Greek mythos) that you stated you would prefer to stay away from.
Asphodel | 24 | they/he |
Adamant nature collector
|
Local Ghost delta fiend.
28 until next Gholdengo
Always buying for 15 per! 10008 | 316 Delta Collector List | Journal | Joint Trade Shop
Avatar is a screencap from Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse.
Gengirl's AvatarGengirl
Obsidian?
Credit to my bff CorvidsAiden for my avatar!
Iggyzilla tm's AvatarIggyzilla tm

QUOTE originally posted by Obesyx

How does "Pastel" sound for a potential new Albino name? Most albinos aren't even white, anyway, it seems more accurate to what they generally tend to look like IMO. While Stygian for the new Melan name sounds *very* cool, it does have that "evil" theme to it (comes from the word Styx, a river in the Underworld of Greek mythos) that you stated you would prefer to stay away from.
I really second the idea of something in Pastel like named terms too! It definitely still refers to lighter colors, but they leave more wiggle room than just the creams and whites, so honestly it does fit!
Type Race Dec. 2020!
(Trophy by GnarleyQuinn!)
(Avatar is a Braxien/Zoroark hybrid created by myself!)
Drendara's AvatarDrendara
Lunar - to replace Albino Vanta - to replace Melanistic (vantablack is the darkest material on earth as of 2014 capable of absorbing 99.96 percent of ultraviolet, visible, and infrared light)
Naomistyc's AvatarNaomistyc
Maybe for Albino's: 'Prismatic' with a nickname of 'Prisms' or 'Prisma'? Or 'Opalescent' with the nickname being something like 'Opals'?
My journal | My PWYW Art Shop Icon by Tyler! Signature sprite by me!
x 3/500
Cele's AvatarCele
Please note that we are trying to avoid terms that imply that the colour expected should be black. We want dark colours, not black. ^^
Buggs's AvatarBuggs
Crystal for the light?
REZNiKOV's AvatarREZNiKOV
Honestly I love everything you guys come up with for the site, so whatever you choose to do is always fine by me. Having said that, I do like lucent. I'm not following the logic behind "stygian" though, I don't understand what that means... ^^;
angelatos's Avatarangelatos
personally, I'd like to keep albino and melan, but if I had to pick new names, I like Obesyx and Naomistyc's suggestions for albino, and if we were to divorce "melan" from its original "melanistic" I'd (personally) like to see that!

after all, decay is a form of love

moth | they/them

Pages: 123··· 313233

Cannot post: Please log in to post

© PokéFarm 2009-2024 (Full details)Contact | Rules | Privacy | Reviews 4.6★Get shortlink for this page