PFQ Banner

This is PokéFarm Q, a free online Pokémon collectables game.

Already a user? New to PFQ?

Proposal to Rename Albino and Melanistic Pokemon

Forum Index > Core > Announcements > News Archive >

Pages: 123··· 2930313233

Badgerpaw's AvatarBadgerpaw
Another for the "no need for change" crowd, but I've two sets for consideration anyway. First is Effulgent (Albino) and Umbrageous (Melanistic), for scientific sounding names that researchers would have come up with. Alternatively, Sunny and Shaded/Inky. Simple names that not only easy to understand, but also fit in with Shiny. Young trainers aren't going to go around using big fancy words, they'll use simple things like that.
Avatar by Rick Griffin https://twitter.com/rgriffincomics
DeltaSystem's AvatarDeltaSystem

QUOTE originally posted by Solo789

QUOTE originally posted by shadowofzeref

How about "Nyxian" (nix ee an) for Melans? I get the idea from the Goddess of the Night, Nyx. Night time is filled with all sorts of the beautiful dark colors (mainly blues, blacks and purples, like Melans contain). You have that "darkness-without-evil idea with a name like that.
That's too similar to "Nyxia" the book series and movie. Not to mention the Nyxian metal present in the books and movie. That might get Niet and Garthic sued due to copyright issues, which is the last thing any of us want.
Really don't want to bother you Cele, but I saw that this went by unnoticed. ;w;' I hope life gets a bit less chaotic for you soon.
~Delta 🪐
Made by HorrorGal13
  • Main
  • Credits
Your chaotic mess. Type Race Points: 0
Tabs by Esme Avatar made with this awsome picrew!
EldritchEbi's AvatarEldritchEbi
pastel and goth or holy and unholy or blessed and cursed
KleinFye's AvatarKleinFye
I would say Cursed get's a negative touch and therefore isn't ideal as name x/
angelatos's Avatarangelatos
we've also had concerns about blessed having religious connotations and making some people uncomfortable, and I feel like holy/unholy would be... much worse for those people;;

after all, decay is a form of love

moth | they/them
I feel like pastel works for albinos but i cant seem to wrap my head around a name for melans...
Avatar made by me, for my use only.
nerdofnerds's Avatarnerdofnerds
Hello! I'm glad this proposal is up, personally- I think confusion over colorations could be helped if the Pokemon variants are no longer named after real-world animal traits! I'm a bit of a rock fan, and I'd like to suggest a couple of mineralogy words for alternatives ^^ First up, Luster/Lustre is the term used for the way light interacts with a rock, gem, or mineral! A Lustrous Pokemon is also fun to say imo. I think this could work for either, considering that it's mainly just a word for something that gleams, but probably more so for Albinos? I'm also fond of the word "Schiller" for things that gleam- it's a German word that relates to "play of color" and is used to describe various sorts of iridescence in rocks! The "Schiller effect" is the general term for when light hits surfaces or inclusions within a rock and causes a burst of color :> Similarly, I think it could work for either but the connotation of "hidden color" applies well to the Melans in my opinion. Next, my personal favorite terms but also the mouthfuls- Adularescence and Labradorescence! Adularescence is the term for a milky, soft glow inside a stone, that might move or change visibility depending on how the light hits it. Tiger's eye, rainbow moonstone, and common opals are rocks that exhibit this! It's associated with gentle, soft colors, and a haziness to the glow is common. I think it fits Albino Pokemon perfectly! The word could be shorted to Adul or Adula easily for nicknaming, and it's similar enough to Albino to type that I don't think it would take much adjustment. Labradorescence, meanwhile, is the term for the specific luster labradorite exhibits! Light enters the rock and bounces off a surface inside the rock, like with many sorts of luster, but with Labradorescence you get an incredibly vibrant 'flash' of color that covers a lot of the stone! There's frequently multiple colors within one stone, in a gradient effect. The stone itself tends to be dark, somewhere around gray or black, and the flashes are commonly a shade of blue, but rarer colors are green, orange, red, or purple! Admittedly, this would have fit the "neon rave" Melans a bit better, but I still think the little tastes of bright color in revamped/recent Melans would mesh with this word very well! It could be shortened to Lab or Labra for nicknaming, though the name being what it is, I can foresee some confusion about the Pokemon Lab if the first is commonly used ^^; Finally, words that I feel might work but couldn't write an essay about! There's Chatoyancy, which is generally used for rocks that exhibit a stripe of color like cat's eye does. I think it could be fun for a new Albino term, and could be shorted to Cha. or Chat! Then, there's Metamerism/Metamer, which is a phenomenon across several fields (including mineralogy) where things appear to match in color despite being completely different base colors. I think it might work for Melans, since their dark colors blend well and look cohesive even if they're technically completely different shades. Aura is not a gem-specific word, but I feel it could work for Albinos, and Spectrolite is the term for a rare, high-quality labradorite, so tossing that in the ring for Melans as well! I'd also like to say that I'm a fan of Pastel, Opalescent, and Pearlescent for the Albinos; Obsidian, Umbra, and Tenebros for the Melans; and the Sun/Moon themed pair names (sun/moonkissed, Starlit/Moonlit, Solaria/Lunestra specifically) as a set! I hope my accidental essay on rocks was an okay read as well, lol ^^
Icon from the official 07 Ghost manga!
ZeroXC's AvatarZeroXC
I think Sol has been suggested already for the current Albinistic pokemon so I think Lua would be a good alternative for melanistic pokemon.
Avatar is official art from Witch Hunter Robin
JadeJester22's AvatarJadeJester22
Alreafy suggested but pastel/albino and darkened/melan
Buying Tanzakus for 15 ZC
× 26 / 300
Sir Dessert,my little buddy :) Profile Picture is from PFQ Advent 2021
Pokekids2's AvatarPokekids2
Albino could be White Colored Melanistic should be....Shinite

Pages: 123··· 2930313233

Cannot post: Please log in to post

© PokéFarm 2009-2024 (Full details)Contact | Rules | Privacy | Reviews 4.6★Get shortlink for this page