PFQ Banner

This is PokéFarm Q, a free online Pokémon collectables game.

Already a user? New to PFQ?

Proposal to Rename Albino and Melanistic Pokemon

Forum Index > Core > Announcements > News Archive >

Pages: 1234··· 313233

Gallevoir's AvatarGallevoir
Hm, hadn't considered renaming being a mitigator to the disconnect... hm. Perhaps Piebald would work for an Albino replacement? Per Wikipedia, though it's similar, "The vision problems associated with albinism are not usually present as eye pigmentation is normal." For Melans... I'm not sure there's a real word equivalent for 'not truly melanistic but still dark' like piebald is for 'not truly albinistic but still light'. Hyperpigmentation? Might have to get back to this one.
  • Shops
  • Best Melans
  • A Christmas Bee, for Melan Luck
They/them, for simplicity. Beathan sprite; egg sprites from Bulbapedia; avatar; Acacia sprite by me; Bee from Pokefarm Advent
Lyrina25's AvatarLyrina25
Well, you could always go with latin. Lux, or 'light' for albino and Picem or 'pitch' for melanistic. Cute nicknames include Luxies and Pics.
Stop reporting my template and signature for Arceus' sake..! Sprites in siggy made by me other than the liepard which is officially nintendo's~
Cele's AvatarCele
For clarification on definition, Stygian is "of or relating to the River Styx," but in day-to-day use means "very dark" and does not actually carry the implication of evil. It's just... very dark. ^^
sig code and sig bg image made by me
Werewoofwoof's AvatarWerewoofwoof
I kind of prefer the names as is, but I can see why changing them might be preferred. I don't have ANY input on a new term for melanistic, but if I HAD to choose a new albino term, i'd go with what Naomistyc suggested; Prismatic 'prisms' or opalescent 'opals'.
Iggyzilla tm's AvatarIggyzilla tm
Maybe something in terms of Obsidian for Melan? I only suggest that, as while it's a dark colored stone, it comes in a variety of colors/tints that can still show through it! So it isn't always black, rather it can also show through various other colors too, so just one thought! Not to mention it has a nice value back in the past/power!
Type Race Dec. 2020!
(Trophy by GnarleyQuinn!)
(Avatar is a Braxien/Zoroark hybrid created by myself!)
Sanae Kochiya's AvatarSanae Kochiya
i always liked the idea of a rename, and would love to come with an idea for it. "umber" is natural brown or reddish-brown earth pigment that contains iron oxide and manganese oxide. what makes it interesting in this case, is that it's name comes from terra d'ombra, or earth of Umbria, the Italian name of the pigment. Umbria is a mountainous region in central Italy where the pigment was originally extracted. The word also may be related to the Latin word ombra, meaning "shadow". to connect it to something a little more nicknameish, Umbra could be the new name for the melans. "i recently just hatched an Umbra Bulbasaur" for example. as for the albino, we could go into the idea of latin. the word albus, means "light" in latin. per latin definition, Albus, also alba , can be connected towards white, pale, fair, hoary, gray. especially the "pale" part piqued my interest a few years back. my idea of albinos new name would be, alba. "i was lucky to hatch two alba pachirisus in the same party" this is my suggestion for the albino and melan ^^
profile picture made by the lovely Terabbit~ Albino colors belong to pfq~
I really like the concept of Pastel being the new name for Albinos, and I also heavily vibe with Stygian for Melans out of a preconceived connection I have with Monster Hunter's Stygian Zinogre, which is just a black and red version of a normally blue and yellow monster, but of course as mentioned in a previous reply, there is still the origin of the word to consider as being opposite of wanting Melans to not be seen as evil(although that was admittedly something new I learned today!) I suppose an alternate suggestion I might have for Melanistic is Midnight? Only issue I could see arising there is with Midnight Lycanroc ending up being called Midnight Midnight Lycanroc(moonmoon vibes tempt me further tho)
OBESYX's AvatarOBESYX
Opalescent and Obsidian do sound very nice together!
Asphodel | 24 | they/he |
Adamant nature collector
|
Local Ghost delta fiend.
71 until next Gholdengo
Always buying for 15 per! 100 | 316 Delta Collector List | Journal | Joint Trade Shop
Avatar is a screencap from Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse.
Gengirl's AvatarGengirl
Perhaps for melan we could use a word that indicates rarity rather than dark colour?
Credit to my bff CorvidsAiden for my avatar!
SakuraWolf23's AvatarSakuraWolf23
Solaria (Albino/Light) and Lunestra (Melan/Dark)? Basically a play on words meaning Sun and Moon.
Aliit Ori'shya Tal'din || Tai'shar Manetheren! SamanthaNBishop on Archive of our Own and Wattpad! Gaming || Writing || Pokemon Fan Fic: Angel of the Shadows Avatar of Trainer, Alexandria "Angel" Flamel, by Me Banner for me by Furret on PokeHeroes. Do not use without permission.

Pages: 1234··· 313233

Cannot post: Please log in to post

© PokéFarm 2009-2024 (Full details)Contact | Rules | Privacy | Reviews 4.6★Get shortlink for this page