PFQ Banner

This is PokéFarm Q, a free online Pokémon collectables game.

Already a user? New to PFQ?

Proposal to Rename Albino and Melanistic Pokemon

Forum Index > Core > Announcements > News Archive >

Pages: 12345··· 313233

Iggyzilla tm's AvatarIggyzilla tm

QUOTE originally posted by Obesyx

Opalescent and Obsidian do sound very nice together!
I'd agree! It sounds real fancy too, and the gemstone/rock like theme is neat, as stones like those are considered of value in real life to collectors!
Type Race Dec. 2020!
(Trophy by GnarleyQuinn!)
(Avatar is a Braxien/Zoroark hybrid created by myself!)
Rialynn's AvatarRialynn
Albino/Light: Pastellium Melanistic/Dark: Onyxium
PurpleTiger's AvatarPurpleTiger
Pearlescent could be a replacement for albinos! But I also like the suggestions of pastel. Nacreous is another word that means pearly. You could also go with a similar naming to shiny, such as gleaming for albinos Tenebrous could be a replacement for melanistics, but it doesn't sound super rare. Honestly it's hard to find a 'valuable' sounding name for melanistics because typically adjectives for treasure are all bright and light-reflective.
Profile picture by me! Animation Commissions OPEN! (15+) My batty babies: Bat drawings by TheSoapyDolphin
Gallevoir's AvatarGallevoir

QUOTE originally posted by Gengirl

Perhaps for melan we could use a word that indicates rarity rather than dark colour?
That's a good possibility. The term "shiny" came about in part due to the sparkle animation, so... Shiny, Glossy, Nitid, in that order? Or Shiny, Dazzling, Refracted?
  • Shops
  • Best Melans
  • A Christmas Bee, for Melan Luck
They/them, for simplicity. Beathan sprite; egg sprites from Bulbapedia; avatar; Acacia sprite by me; Bee from Pokefarm Advent
Dragonessa's AvatarDragonessa
Indigo for melanistics? I really like the word lol
Clairefairy's AvatarClairefairy
I am honestly wishywashy on the idea of changing the names. People who want to complain, will always complain. People who are simply confused can be helped. I think an in-depth explanation of what albinos/melans are in a tutorial would clear up a lot of confusion. Every single Nintendo Pokémon game has specific cut scenes/tutorial that go into explaining new mechanics and new terminology used in the game. Pokefarm has relied on a lot of self guided reading into things or community guided through word of mouth. There are still mechanics I am learning about because it’s takes a lot more self exploration in my opinion. But all of that being said I could possibly suggest albinos being called “pastels” or something along the lines of that. But doing so may cause for some sprites to be redone if they do not fall into the category of being high value and low saturation. I’m not too big on art terms so I am unsure what the opposite or pastel would be. Possibly “chroma”? I hope some other users have some good ideas!
Currently buying: × 238 / 500 × 22 / 400 Avatar by Breepi Signature by AnkokuFlare
Angeliccandy's AvatarAngeliccandy
I love the pastel color name change, it's very pretty and elegant sounding.
ʚ♡ɞCandy ☆ 33 ☆ She/Herʚ♡ɞ
JoanOfArceus's AvatarJoanOfArceus
I have noticed that a lot of 'albino' Pokemon wouldn't qualify as albino but they'd be leucistic. Partial loss of pigmentation not including the eyes. Or you could just say 'pale.' I do like the suggestion of opalescent and obsidian though
WIP - Assets are from DDLC
RailaRoxie's AvatarRailaRoxie
I love the sound of Opalescent instead of Albino. I think a simple "Pastel" is quite nice too, although I do still prefer Opalescent. So far, my favorite alternative to melanistic is definitely Stygian, but I also like Obsidian, especially because as others have already stated, Opalescent and Obsidian sound very nice together!

Raila / Sorrel | Any Pronouns | Early 20s

Enjoyer of Team Star Eri and collector of timid Pokemon. I do charm swaps/rentals for 30 gp/equiv at my shop (or just send me a trade).
Trade ShopJournalcredits

credits

Code @Neonyan Divider @blog link PFP @PKMN TCG Pagedoll @LewTwo's archive TR Code @Kieri
Free EggDex + Breeding Pair Clan
Lamniforma's AvatarLamniforma
It's nice to see people's suggestions to rename the terms get heard out. Here's what I like: albinos -> pastels melans -> enigmas Pastel feels like an obvious choice to me. Our "albinos" have a big pastel colour vibe. Enigma means both dark and mysterious, and they're dark + rare, so I that's why I think it'd work.

Pages: 12345··· 313233

Cannot post: Please log in to post

© PokéFarm 2009-2024 (Full details)Contact | Rules | Privacy | Reviews 4.6★Get shortlink for this page