PFQ Banner

This is PokéFarm Q, a free online Pokémon collectables game.

Already a user? New to PFQ?

Proposal to Rename Albino and Melanistic Pokemon

Forum Index > Core > Announcements > News Archive >

Pages: 123··· 282930313233

wolfcore's Avatarwolfcore
I like the idea of "lunar" for albinos and "solar" for melans! To me, this implies that lighter-colored pokemon are named "lunar" because of of a lack of melanin in their coats, maybe making them more sensitive to the sun and thusly being "active" at night more often? Also, the moon is grey, so that color connection would make sense! And for darker-colored pokemon, the name "solar" would imply that they have lots of melanin in their skin, meaning that they can withstand sunlight better than their lighter-colored counterparts. And when i think of the Sun i think of fire, and fire burns things, making them "charred" or black in appearance :0 Edit: I also love the chiffon/velvet idea a ton!!! the fabric comparison of "dark" and "light" is super expressive in my eyes, and i love the names!
delta rescuer and box hoarder
Dimness's AvatarDimness
In my opinion, changing the name of Albino and Melans aren't neccessary. In both cases, the name matches and tell exactly what those coloration means: Albino - lack of pigment in skin. Melanistic - increased development of dark pigment in skin. I see no reason to change them. Mostly because they relate to scientific terms (albinism and melanism) which makes them sound straight forward and easy to understand. Changing the terms might be confusing. Or the new nickname might be something less understandable for future new players. If players have problems understanding the meaning behind terms "albino" and "melanistic" the best way is to include an explanation in visible place. So I vote for keeping the names as they are.
Team current points: 0, goal: 1000 points.
King's Shield

King's Shield

Forme-Change Item

(: 0)

A mysterious shield that enervates attackers. Aegislash could make good use of this.

Sells for 500

Lv. 83 — 15,534 / 20,917
Aspear BerryAspear Berry
Aspear Berry (SOUR)
Cheri BerryCheri Berry
Cheri Berry (SPICY)
Chesto BerryChesto Berry
Chesto Berry (DRY)
Pecha BerryPecha Berry
Pecha Berry (SWEET)
Rawst BerryRawst Berry
Rawst Berry (BITTER)
SteelGhost
Happiness 27%
Bold nature
Deviation's AvatarDeviation
I say that the names should be kept as it is,because they aren't a misnomer. Pokemon follow significantly different biological laws than IRL, so what is albino and melan to us is also considered albino and melan to the pokemon world. i.e,albino's don't have actual animal colouration but still have a lighter skin tone as compared to their regular counterpart, which would be considered albinism in the pokemon world
🌈Zoinks!🌈
beemo's Avatarbeemo

QUOTE originally posted by PeacefulTyrant

Here's my 2 cents on the matter. When it comes down to it, I think Iridescent is a perfect replacement for Albino, when you look up the meaning on google this comes up "showing luminous colours that seem to change when seen from different angles." 'Luminous colours' makes me think of the pale colours found on Albino Pokemon. As for the Melanistic, I feel Obsidian is the way to go. I immediately think of Minecraft, and how difficult it is to find/create/mine the stuff, thereby representing the sheer rarity. AND they both fit with Shiny, when thinking of Iridescent, you imaging it to be sparkly, Obsidian is 'glasslike' therefore sparkly. What do Shiny Pokemon do when you encounter them in the main series? Sparkle.
this is actually perfect.
I don’t have a signature.
Albino:Leggera (Light in italian) Melanistic: Pouri (Dark in maori)
Daemonhart's AvatarDaemonhart
How about astral for albino and umbral/twilight/sidereal for melanistic?
starxstruck's Avatarstarxstruck
i don't think we should change the names, but if we do, i think "ivory", "lumine", or "pearlescent" are good replacements for albino pokemon. ivory is a cream-white color, which reminds me of albino pokemon's color scheme (since albino pokemon aren't white, they're just lighter than their original forms). lumine is short for luminescent, which means emitting light not caused by heat. like wolfcore's idea, albino pokemon should be more sensitive to the sun because of the lack of melanin in albino pokemon's coats, so i think this name suits them. pearlescent means glossy white, and shiny pokemon shine in official games, so why not convey that same effect with names? as for melans, i think "ombre" (shadow in french), "umbra" (shadow in latin) or "yin" would be good fits.
hello!! please feed :]
Lv. 51 — 3,999 / 9,947
Aspear BerryAspear Berry
Aspear Berry (SOUR)
Cheri BerryCheri Berry
Cheri Berry (SPICY)
Chesto BerryChesto Berry
Chesto Berry (DRY)
Pecha BerryPecha Berry
Pecha Berry (SWEET)
Rawst BerryRawst Berry
Rawst Berry (BITTER)
SteelPsychic
Happiness 27%
Mild nature
*pfp credits to official mdzs audio drama
1slowpoke's Avatar1slowpoke
Prema for melanistic?
Riiloseah's AvatarRiiloseah

QUOTE originally posted by beemo

QUOTE originally posted by PeacefulTyrant

Here's my 2 cents on the matter. When it comes down to it, I think Iridescent is a perfect replacement for Albino, when you look up the meaning on google this comes up "showing luminous colours that seem to change when seen from different angles." 'Luminous colours' makes me think of the pale colours found on Albino Pokemon. As for the Melanistic, I feel Obsidian is the way to go. I immediately think of Minecraft, and how difficult it is to find/create/mine the stuff, thereby representing the sheer rarity. AND they both fit with Shiny, when thinking of Iridescent, you imaging it to be sparkly, Obsidian is 'glasslike' therefore sparkly. What do Shiny Pokemon do when you encounter them in the main series? Sparkle.
this is actually perfect.
I second this, I adore everything about these titles
Cele's AvatarCele
Hullo hullo! I just wanted to drop a lil notice for the sake of transparency and whatnot. I'm home from my holiday and have been for a hot minute, but irl on my end is being a bit nonsense currently
house renovation, lost an evening to an anxiety attack from being yelled at (over something that was a giant assumption on their part... lol. I'm ok now and they've since apologized for being ridiculous), more house renovation, my desk violently protesting its own continued existence by inflicting itself with a gaping hole (no I do not know how this occurred and it is currently a mystery lol) and requiring a fix, and even more house reno
so my delays here will be a bit longer. I've not forgotten, I promise! I'll be with y'all again on here as soon as I'm able. 😄 Thank you for your continued understanding! Bottom text... ...to make the tip display fully beep beep i'm a sheep lol
sig code and sig bg image made by me

Pages: 123··· 282930313233

Cannot post: Please log in to post

© PokéFarm 2009-2024 (Full details)Contact | Rules | Privacy | Reviews 4.6★Get shortlink for this page