PFQ Banner

This is PokéFarm Q, a free online Pokémon collectables game.

Already a user? New to PFQ?

Sprite Discovery Discussion

Forum Index > PokéFarm > Discussion >

Pages: 123··· 670671672673674··· 748749750

Emma Aruna's AvatarEmma Aruna
you didnt come across that way, no worries. and i understand they announce they are 'going to change those colors' as stated i look out for that. i just dont post here often, if at all before now. its just, What else am i supposed to do ya know? what else are any of us supposed to do? post here i guess. in my honest opinion, updating the sprites is fine. i just dont see the reason for overhauling the colors, even if they are announcing it. i Never Have. its great they tell us now... i just dont see the reason for it. the reason of 'bringing them more in line with other sprites' is... eh? scetchy at best. thats more of a reason for changing the Melan. sure. but... dont need to change the melan if you dont change the others... soooo OR. you can change the albino, and just NOT change the melan. i dont think people would really honestly mind if they strayed from 'color theory' or whatever. that was my reason for the Rowlet example. no changes were made to the Shiny except for the shape. so why change the colors, unless they just Wanted to? None! but yeah. no worries abingy. you've caused no offense.
Type Race Points:0 Check out my shop Here! Shinies/Albinos/and random stuff!~ Summons Collecting! 6,31,14,13,8,11,10,11 Clan Banner! Type Race , Dec 2020, score of: 4920 (formerly e/v and canon swap) Type Race , June 2022, score of: 5060
Zerxus's AvatarZerxus

QUOTE originally posted by Niet

You should be able to really tell just how flat the original sprites are - the reason they're so flat is because in Gen V, the sprites were actually animated and so having the sprites be shaded wouldn't look good at all. Flat colours worked well with the animation, but we don't have animated sprites here so they just look... flat.
This is something I wanted to say, staff says they are updating the Unova sprites to 'better match site style'. But why? Site pixel style has a problem with being too 'skinny-looking' with its hard shading, excessive dithering, and overall too much detail for such a tiny sprite...

QUOTE originally posted by Corviknight

As an aside, I feel the need to point out how silly it is that the fire is shaded on Hisuian Typhlosion. The rest of the sprite is fine but it's so stylistically strange when compared to Typhlosion or other Pokemon with fire.
This ^^^ I also wanted to bring up Shinorin as an example of too much dithering on fire. For the visually impaired like me, the flames come off as 'messy' from far away due to how much sheer shading and linework is going on ^^ Just because you can add detial doesn't mean its always appropriate! Look at how much clean contrast there is between the flames on rapidash through the generations and what we have on PFQ. Don't you think Rapidash is overall a much more readable sprite? If Typlosion and Shinorin is the staff's idea of the shading and direction that the sprites should be 'improved' in... well... I can't say I like the idea...
Shop: SLE, egg passes, summons, & legendary seals - cheaper than site!
Blue Soul Dew

Blue Soul Dew

Summon Item

(: 0)

A small orb with a blue coloration that manages to emanate seriousness. There is talk that inside it is the key to discovering the Legendary Pokémon, Latios.

View/use Summon Items

Unsellable

Lv. 100 — +2,213,529
Aspear BerryAspear Berry
Aspear Berry (SOUR)
Cheri BerryCheri Berry
Cheri Berry (SPICY)
Chesto BerryChesto Berry
Chesto Berry (DRY)
Pecha BerryPecha Berry
Pecha Berry (SWEET)
Rawst BerryRawst Berry
Rawst Berry (BITTER)
NormalDark
Happiness MAX
Calm nature
Vespasian's AvatarVespasian

QUOTE originally posted by Corviknight

If I were to post every single Albino/Melan sprite with a green and purple coloration, it would be so, so many. I actually might do this later but I already know this will take a couple hours and I have obligations. (And I personally have a strong distaste for almost every single one of them.) As an aside, I feel the need to point out how silly it is that the fire is shaded on Hisuian Typhlosion. The rest of the sprite is fine but it's so stylistically strange when compared to Typhlosion or other Pokemon with fire.
I agree with the fire thing - it looks so different compared to official sprites. I have some free time and decided to post green and purple sprites (I probably missed some), note that some aren't 100% green or purple but they give the same energy so I included them. Compared to total number of pokemon this may not look as much but notice that most of them come from recent updates. These are also green and purple combined, while browsing a wiki I saw a lot of green melans that also look unappealing. I'm not saying to stop using these colours - but there's so many different ones that will look beter on a pokemon. Personally I find green really disgusting when it's on a pokemon that has fur, it's very displeasing and looks sick or like a dog that rolled over in freshly cut grass.

image heavy

Eggy's AvatarEggy
While I have not made the Hisuian Typhlosion sprite, I can confirm that the way the flames are shaded is intentional. In fact, the fire is canonically like that (they are ghost flames to be exact) and here's the official artwork and a gameplay screenshot to show it: That being said, the concerns of the fire looking silly are valid - I'll be honest, I also think that it looks kind of odd, though that's mostly because I'm used to seeing normal flames, red with a fiery orange/yellow center and all. But this is what Game Freak chose to do, and we have no control over their design choices. I hope this clears up the confusion!
Signature is to be refactored Avatar: Made by Res0nare
Vespasian's AvatarVespasian

QUOTE originally posted by Eggy

While I have not made the Hisuian Typhlosion sprite, I can confirm that the way the flames are shaded is intentional. In fact, the fire is canonically like that (they are ghost flames to be exact) and here's the official artwork and a gameplay screenshot to show it: That being said, the concerns of the fire looking silly are valid - I'll be honest, I also think that it looks kind of odd, though that's mostly because I'm used to seeing normal flames, red with a fiery orange/yellow center and all. But this is what Game Freak chose to do, and we have no control over their design choices. I hope this clears up the confusion!
Artwork is much bigger compared to the sprites and 3D models are a completely different thing than a small pixel sprite - they shouldn't follow the same set of rules.
PlasmaStorm's AvatarPlasmaStorm
Showing the gameplay screenshot doesn't really contribute to any points in the post. Just looks like a lot of emission. But I do agree that pixels/drawings/3d models fall under different set of rules. You don't see 3d models following the shading style of a drawing's pixel by pixel.
'You are too late, I'm afraid. This flower's already dead'
Pokesonas Karyuu Yurui Comic Avatar is drawn by Tsuzera and used with permission
c r e d i t
Reshiram sprite is official. Coding and template is by TheFabuTor for free use
Shazi's AvatarShazi
Typhlosion, and most pokemon who have fire on them have their fire designed to look like fire.. as you can see by the images here of Johtoan Typhlosion, it looks like fire and when it's translated to a sprite it still looks like fire.
on the flipside, hisui typhlosion's fire is designed specifically to look like that and not to look like fire, so when it is translated to a sprite it still looks like that. whether something is a model, a 2d image or a sprite is not the issue here, the issue is that nintendo designed the fire to look like that and so we made it look like that. We can't make it look like fire without changing what makes hisuian typhlosion what it is.
498 Ice Fangs
102 Gray Stones
Mass Click Association - My Shop - Guide to 90%+ Pairs
Signature by Cele, Avatar by Me
PlasmaStorm's AvatarPlasmaStorm

QUOTE originally posted by Shazi

Typhlosion, and most pokemon who have fire on them have their fire designed to look like fire.. as you can see by the images here of Johtoan Typhlosion, it looks like fire and when it's translated to a sprite it still looks like fire.
on the flipside, hisui typhlosion's fire is designed specifically to look like that and not to look like fire, so when it is translated to a sprite it still looks like that. whether something is a model, a 2d image or a sprite is not the issue here, the issue is that nintendo designed the fire to look like that and so we made it look like that. We can't make it look like fire without changing what makes hisuian typhlosion what it is.
From what I can see it seems like you are posting flat coloured models that are not influenced by any sort of/minimal lighting/texture which makes it look flat compared to the 2d image. Hisuin Typhlosion probably doesn't require any sort of complex colouring besides uping up the emission values to make the fire parts of them glow. But in 2d arts you can't do that so they have to use some way to illustrate fire. Also I'm pretty sure some of the users were talking about how janky the shading and highlights translate into a tiny small sprite. Strongly disagree with "because the art looks like that so we have to make it look like that on sprite" because this obviously didn't apply to the 3d models. So this doesn't have to strictly apply to the sprites either. Though to be fair this isn't the first time users have pointed out how busy and overdetailed some of PFQ's sprites are.
Shazi's AvatarShazi
we're looking into redoing the fire to see if we can make the shading less intense now, hopefully we can come up with something that better suits what the userbase is looking for from this sprite Edit: I meant to say "I see what you are saying about the shading looking janky" but I'm a dingus and forgot to put that up front of my post
Novan-chan's AvatarNovan-chan

saintcrows

QUOTE originally posted by saintcrowns

I'm sorry... can someone on the art team please explain to me what is going on with the left (our left) most wing on Dartrix? I would love to be wrong but looking at it my first impression is that the wing is either broken or way way lower than it should be...
Hiyo. Sorry for the delay to at least explain Dartrix. IRL stuff. I can try my best to explain. I worked on the revamped Alolan Rowlet sprite line. The underside feathers/arrows on Dartrix are snugged up right under its pits/joint, as I'm sure most of us know. It appears to be lower than it should be, because the 'shoulder' of the wing is covered by brown feathers from Dartrix's ches, which already is puffed out a bit. Its actually leveled, as shown in here:

as shown here

Spewpa

QUOTE originally posted by Spewpa

i really like the new hisuian sprites + sprite revamps! they now look a lot more dynamic if you know what i mean. while i am a bit sad about the changes in melan alolan decidueye's line, the colors on its melan hisuian form work really well in my opinion. however, i think dartrix's left wing looks off? it looks as if it's bent really weirdly while waving(?). its official art appears to be waving as well, but it appears more natural in that case. perhaps if the left wing was held straight like the official art it would look more natural?

something like this?

please let me know if drawing the sprite isn't allowed and violates the sprite permission rules. sprite created by pfq art staff, redrawn by me but the left wing is slightly different
i apologize if i'm being presumptuous towards the art staff!
Hiyo, nah you're good. As for Dartrix's wing itself. Thank you for the visual to explain what you meant, the artwork probably would've also helped explain what you meant as well. THOUGH, Isn't waving or having the wing stiffly outstretched like seen in the reference sheet or official artwork. The sprite itself is actually in action, flipping its green head feathers off out of its eye, as this is a characteristic OF the Pokemon. It preforms this very action in both the anime and games. It has a weird amount of flexibility in its wings that it moves like a Rito's wing from Legends of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, it (an Decidueye by extent) move their wings like arms and can hold things. Where it curves and has rounded points or bends when they move. Yet other examples just show it to have no bone structure at all.
credits
Novan-Chan and all forms of her belong to me Avatar of Novan is made by me for my use only!

Pages: 123··· 670671672673674··· 748749750

Cannot post: Please log in to post

© PokéFarm 2009-2024 (Full details)Contact | Rules | Privacy | Reviews 4.6★Get shortlink for this page