PFQ Banner

This is PokéFarm Q, a free online Pokémon collectables game.

Already a user? New to PFQ?

Type Race Announcements

Forum Index > Core > Announcements >

Pages: 1234··· 181920

Niet [Adam]'s AvatarNiet [Adam]
I'm going to be really, brutally blunt with you here, when I say "Oh, grow up." "Before, everyone had a chance," but only if you happened to be one of less than 10% of active players who are able to be online at midnight on the 1st day of the month. People are not going to just stop participating in Type Race just because there is now a possible leadership competition. You certainly aren't, because you've never been a Type Race leader so this change literally doesn't affect you. Yes, popular leaders will be likely to be re-elected because they ran a successful Type Race team. If someone runs a bad one, they won't be elected again. Democracy. That's the point. I'll also point out that some teams don't even get a thread some months due to nobody putting their name forward to lead. This new system handles that case in a way that was not possible before. Better to have an auto-generated thread than no thread at all. The only valid point you have is that it does cut down on preparation time. I will take this into consideration as I observe the next few Type Races and see how they go. Perhaps pushing it to the third Sunday instead of the second may help, but we shall see.
Clip from Pokémon anime, re-lined by me
-- OMNOMNOM!
Featured story: Injustice Feedback welcome!
LycanKai's AvatarLycanKai

QUOTE originally posted by Niet

I'm going to be really, brutally blunt with you here, when I say "Oh, grow up."
So instead of listening to user feedback, you be rude to them. Lovely.

People are not going to just stop participating in Type Race
I never claimed they were, so please do not put words in my mouth. What I did say was I can't imagine how this is meant to make people participate more, which is the claim you made. Along with that, people will be discouraged from attempting to host because it's now a high school-level popularity contest. This is true for both me and a lot of my friends on this website.

You certainly aren't, because you've never been a Type Race leader so this change literally doesn't affect you.
I never hosted before because I just graduated college. I was looking forward to hosting, but now I won't bother because I'm not a well-known user and therefore can't compete with the popular kids. So yes, the change does affect me.

Yes, popular leaders will be likely to be re-elected because they ran a successful Type Race team.
Can we stop pretending like it has anything to do with them "running a successful team"? Votes are either going to be based on "that's my friend" or "I've seen this person before but not this other person." No one's going to be doing research on hosts, asking around, and digging into their old TR threads -- especially since they'll be auto deleted. It's a game, not a political election.

If someone runs a bad one, they won't be elected again. Democracy. That's the point.
Considering only "a few occasions" did a bad host exist, this is mostly irrelevant.

some teams don't even get a thread some months due to nobody putting their name forward to lead. This new system handles that case in a way that was not possible before.
You could easily have one without the other. They aren't mutually inclusive, so as my feedback is based around the voting system, this is also irrelevant.
♥ In Need of Braves -- List in Journal ♥
Score: 0
Button and score badge made by me. Art/Code can be found in my journal!

QUOTE originally posted by LycanKai

I never hosted before because I just graduated college. I was looking forward to hosting, but now I won't bother because I'm not a well-known user and therefore can't compete with the popular kids. So yes, the change does affect me.
Fair enough. "Never try, never fail." It is entirely your choice to live by those words.

Can we stop pretending like it has anything to do with them "running a successful team"? Votes are either going to be based on "that's my friend" or "I've seen this person before but not this other person." No one's going to be doing research on hosts, asking around, and digging into their old TR threads -- especially since they'll be auto deleted. It's a game, not a political election.
Maybe you're right. Maybe I'm putting too much trust in the community. But we'll never know that unless we actually try things. I choose to trust the community; you disagree.

Considering only "a few occasions" did a bad host exist, this is mostly irrelevant.
Utterly destroying the morale of an entire team just because someone happened to post five seconds before a more suitable leader carries a lot of weight. Just like a few bad apples spoiling the bunch, all it takes is one really bad incident to warrant change.
My point is, after literal years of examining data and people, I have decided that this is worth trying. If it doesn't work, then you'll have successfully beaten the motivation from me once again. But if it does work, then we will have a better Type Race experience, and that is a gamble I am willing to take.

Fair enough. "Never try, never fail." It is entirely your choice to live by those words.
God forbid people don't want to feel awful for losing your popularity contests. In my opinion, the last thing kids need -- you know, kids who play on this website -- is to be essentially told they lost a competition because people didn't like them enough.

Maybe you're right. Maybe I'm putting too much trust in the community. But we'll never know that unless we actually try things. I choose to trust the community; you disagree.
Enough with the character assassination. This has nothing to do with trust, and everything to do with basic human psychology. No one is going to vet candidates like it's the US presidential election. They're going to look at who's hosting, and vote for the person they're more familiar with. I'm not sure why you think people are going to somehow access deleted TR threads to make their decision on who the best host is. That isn't even remotely realistic

Utterly destroying the morale of an entire team just because someone happened to post five seconds before a more suitable leader carries a lot of weight. Just like a few bad apples spoiling the bunch, all it takes is one really bad incident to warrant change.
So why weren't mods intervening on bad TR hosts? And if they were, then what's the issue?

My point is, after literal years of examining data and people, I have decided that this is worth trying.
If you have truly spent "years" "examining people" then you would know the most basic psychology when it comes to voting for people.

If it doesn't work, then you'll have successfully beaten the motivation from me once again.
"Oh, grow up."

If it doesn't work, then you'll have successfully beaten the motivation from me once again.
"Oh, grow up."
Touché. You are averse to change. I get it. Just give it time, you'll see this is the better way. More choice is never a bad thing.
I'm not averse to change, I'm averse to bad change. Why do you feel the need to try and paint me in a bad light in order to discredit all of my feedback?
Mikkü's AvatarMikkü
@LycanKai - Just would like to chime in here and say, I really don't think it's fair to say it's going to be a popularity contest, because not everyone is going to vote that way, I would & will vote for the thread that I think looks the nicest and comes off in a way that looks like "Hey, they might run the race good." I'm someone who has had to deal with people who host threads and say in the threads "By the way, I'm going to be busy during typerace so I won't be very active" - I would love to avoid that happening again because it can be very demotivating to participate in a team. If people vote for someone, it's going to be because they think they'll do a good job. If their friend is hosting, and they vote for their friend - then their friend is going to do a good job in their opinion. If someone doesn't do a good job, then don't vote for them again it's literally that simple. The mindset of "I'm not a well known user" I know who you are lol I remember seeing you in trades/other places all the time. People can recognize usernames, people will know who you are even if you don't know them/think they don't know who you are. Just try hosting a thread, the worst that happens is you don't get picked oh well try again next month or the month after, eventually you'll get voted on and if not oh well enjoy type race with your team, it's a team effort that's what it's all about - so you didn't get to host? Do everything else to help the team and the person hosting ♥ I will agree we didn't get much prep-time this month due to the first being on a Saturday, however next month we would get a bit more prep time. It unfortunately can depend on how the days fall, I personally disagree with pushing it to the 3rd sunday as that can definitely overwhelm some users due to it being a bit close to Mass Click Weekend, however I'm not sure how else we could get more prep time.
------------------- -------------------
credit
F2U code by Gumshoe Edited by me with permission Further credits in "About Me"
Terabbit's AvatarTerabbit
To be frank, hosting a Type Race thread should have never been something so easily done. Much like contests, Type Race thread hosting is a genuinely large amount of responsibility. It is incredibly hard to pick up the pieces when the ball is dropped by a user hosting a Type Race thread, especially mid-race. Hosting a type race thread is more like a privilege of being trusted with the responsibility of knowing site rules and being able to navigate a group of players through an event mostly unsupervised by the moderator team, and negligence in performing this task can and has in the past, result in Type Race host privileges being revoked with prejudice. This new update will make sure reliable players or quality threads are being produced for the Type Race. If you are concerned with it being a popularity contest, it might help to start building a name as a trustworthy and knowledgeable community memeber. Simply increasing presence in a type race thread or taking on extra responsibility as a raffle host or by helping team members is a great way to build rapport with other users who participate in the events. These users you see as 'popular' don't just become popular over night. They built their reputation from the ground up and anyone can do the same thing just by being a member of the community
Icon by me!

QUOTE originally posted by Glacegoss

I would & will vote for the thread that I think looks the nicest and comes off in a way that looks like "Hey, they might run the race good."
Considering everyone uses the same two templates, and every thread will be basically identical, I'm not sure how you're going to choose which of the identical threads look the nicest.

I'm someone who has had to deal with people who host threads and say in the threads "By the way, I'm going to be busy during typerace so I won't be very active" - I would love to avoid that happening again because it can be very demotivating to participate in a team.
I hate that, too, but there's really nothing stopping people from doing that after they've been voted for. Sure, they might not be voted in again. If people even remember, since the proof of that will be auto-deleted, and unless people spend time reading other teams threads, won't know about it in the first place.

If someone doesn't do a good job, then don't vote for them again it's literally that simple.
And outside of the instances in which you're on the same team as that person again, how are people supposed to know who did and didn't do a good job?

I will agree we didn't get much prep-time this month due to the first being on a Saturday, however next month we would get a bit more prep time. It unfortunately can depend on how the days fall, I personally disagree with pushing it to the 3rd sunday as that can definitely overwhelm some users due to it being a bit close to Mass Click Weekend, however I'm not sure how else we could get more prep time.
Well, before, the thread could be made and commented on right away. Now, it gets approved pretty much last second. An obvious solution to that is to have the thread voted for and chosen sooner.
flürrawr's Avatarflürrawr
literally who cares who hosts a thread as long as they keep it updated who cares if it becomes a "popularity contest" it literally does not matter if the same people host them well then they get to host them...? that's the idea, yeah? properly hosted threads? why is hosting tr threads so important to you anyway, it happens for a week once a month then everyone moves on. all you do is post a template and update a clicklist, nobody even cares who's doing it as long as it gets done. i don't get why you're going after niet for literally the tiniest change, all it does is help prevent multiple threads and ensure an actual good host what is the problem

Pages: 1234··· 181920

Cannot post: Please log in to post

© PokéFarm 2009-2024 (Full details)Contact | Rules | Privacy | Reviews 4.6★Get shortlink for this page