PFQ Banner

This is PokéFarm Q, a free online Pokémon collectables game.

Already a user? New to PFQ?

Proposal to Rename Albino and Melanistic Pokemon

Forum Index > Core > Announcements > News Archive >

Pages: 123··· 56789··· 313233

So, I really like the suggestion of Stygian for melans, and I wanted to find a corresponding word for albinos too. Which lead me to checking the other Underworld rivers. I think Lethian or Lemosyne (both being other versions/variants of Lethe) would work well. The river Lethe is the one that wipes a soul's memories, so it's got a 'wiping clean'/'clean slate' sort of feel. Kinda washed out, which fits albinos.
✩ [ Me
Lex | They/Them pronouns
]
Hunt Chain! 1191
✩ [ avatar
Alastor; Hazbin Hotel ep1
]
TR Score: 3299
stand up be strong know right from wrong forever hence
-♫- believe yourself
selocon's Avatarselocon
elite.pngc.png
Pearl and Obsidian. Pearls are typically lightly colored stones (only the ones used in jewelry are white, and those are often fakes. Real pearls are pale pinks and blues) and Obsidian is the gem that typically is found in old volcanic rock and it's typically a darker color (rarest ever supposedly found was a deep red)
Avatar by the best lizard ever, Bananalizard #standwithEMS #ELM
Score: 0
OBESYX's Avatarhypermode-12.pngOBESYX
hypermode.pngcomplete.pngs.png

QUOTE originally posted by Remster

It's probably just me, but I don't think "chroma" is a good idea. In french, a shiny pokémon is a "pokémon chromatique". I can easily just say "chroma" instead of the entire word to talk about a shiny, so having "chroma" for melanistic/albino Pokémon (I don't know for which you proposed chroma tbh) will be very confusing for me, because that word is for shiny in my case '-' If someone say they have a chroma pokémon, I'll assume they have a shiny, not a melan/albino.
This is an excellent point that should be considered! Of course, this is an English-centric website, but how these words translate to commonly-spoken languages is something to keep in mind.
Asphodel | 24 | they/he | cheriberry.png
Adamant nature collector
|
Local Ghost delta fiend.
summon_gim.png 50 until next Gholdengo summon_gim.png
Always buying summon_gim.png for 15 per! flying.png 6118 | 316 Delta Collector List | Journal | Joint Trade Shop
Avatar is a screencap from Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse.
Sneaky Shadow's AvatarSneaky Shadow
arceus.pngc.png
Not sure why a change is really needed since it's not hurting anyone and that people will complain about the names not being changed vs the names being changed, but all I can do is shrug. My thoughts: Imagine having to title Pokemon: "Iridescent / Opalescent / (random other words that no one knows unless a person is equipped with dictionary smarts) Arcanine [Mega Forme Q] " for living dex fields. The names are already long enough that full, descriptive name titles are chopped off and can't be seen unless clicking on the Pokemon themselves. Maybe we could stick to smaller, simpler titles? Something that's easy to type and easy to spell? Words that people easily know? Opalescent would be okay because it can be shortened to Opal, just like Pearlescent can be reduced to Pearly, and Pastel is short. I really don't want to go through the effort to copy-paste words that I don't readily know, and I don't want to be stuck with some title that might end up being twenty characters long with no way to shorten the title. Call me basic, but why not just "Light" and "Dark?" or "Light" and "Shadow?" While "Light" and "Dark" could imply good and bad, like the Pokemon cards (Light Pikachu, Dark Persian,) it could also mean lighter colors or darker colors. While opal and pearl and onyx and obsidian sound nice and they're nice in size, they sound more like rocks and minerals. Also, onyx...Onix... really similar, might cause some confusion for those who don't know what onyx is and might think that's what Onix is.
[Avatar art by me.] Quote me if you're talking to me, please. ♪~ @u@
Sedona's Avatarhypermode-12.pngSedona
booster.pnghypermode.pngarceus.pngd.png
Depending on how "fantasy" we want to go with these - "sun-blessed" or "sun-kissed" for Albino and "moon-blessed", "moon-kissed", "shade-blessed" or "shade-kissed" for Melan? For players with farm lore, these could lead to some really interesting lore. Downside, if "sun/moon" were used (rather than "sun/shade") it could lead to misconceptions about the pokemon somehow being linked to the Alola 'mons/games. I do *really* love "Stygian" for Melans, though.

Sedona | They/Them | Adult

keeper of the spreadsheets
Sprite Shop Trade shopcredits

credits

Code @RAINB0W Forum Icon @Bonipops on Twitter Signature Pagedoll @Myself Type Race Code @Kieri
Trebor's Avatarhypermode-12.pngTrebor
hypermode.pngcomplete.pngshiny.png

QUOTE originally posted by HobbitKin

... Also relaxed is a nature Xd
Fine, call it/them "The Relaxed" then, which IS a Master Rank (Top Level) THEME in Visual Competitions in several verions of the Actual Game - and in Contests here on PFQ. Calling melanistic Pokemon "The Relaxed" i.e. Dark is Exactly what is being asked for here. If someone doesn't know, it can be directly backed up with in game verification (or any one of the Sanctioned Pokemon sites - i.e. bulbapedia), not something some user on here made up because They liked it. (as such a choice will Always face some sort of opposition).
Special dragon.png delta collector Team v-fire.png
Inferno Overdrive (Fire)
: 6572 pts Current Shiny Hunt 1/206 animated sprite courtesy of blitzydragon (formerly Bryianna88)
dragon360's Avatardragon360
ace.pnge.png
I did propose some suggestions for names but people have said it won't fix anything and I agree with the points they've given. People who don't know can always be explained to about what melans/albinos actually are.
Avatar made by FrigidMellohi My first self-hatched shiny, named after Hermione from Harry Potter! Please click her! "It's time to roll the dice." -Mat Cauthon, from the Wheel of Time series (by Robert Jordan)
craftylilcrow's Avatarcraftylilcrow
grandmaster.pnge.png
I personally am happy with keeping albinos and melans, I can understand why there'd be initial misconceptions but from an artistic standpoint I feel like the sprites would lose their charm/appeal if all of them were just white/black. But, if we do vote for change, I kinda agree with the below for Melans!

QUOTE originally posted by Lamniforma

melans -> enigmas Enigma means both dark and mysterious, and they're dark + rare, so I that's why I think it'd work.
Enigma is SUCH a cool term and is perfect for the rarest type! Given a melan is a shiny + albino mutation I feel like it fits really well. It could possibly be shortened to 'Eni' if needed but its pretty short already. As for Albinos I'm kind of torn, all the suggestions have been REALLY good. I like the idea of Opalescent, it feels like a good, clear in between from 'shiny'(rare) 'opal'(rarer) 'enigma'(rarest), but its long compared to all the other names. Maybe just having it as Opal works fine! (I think this one was suggested by Naomistyc?) Update before posting because I spotted it in recent posts: BlackBlood1872's suggestion of Lethian to match Stygian is really cool, I like the explination behind it :)

✦ Crow ✦ Mx | They | Them ✦ 29 ✦

My Fieldscredits

credits

Code @RAINB0W Forum Icon @craftylilcrow on Toyhou.se Signature Pagedoll official art(?) on serebii.net
ghost.png Type Race Points : 485 ghost.png
Blade's Avatarhypermode-12.pngBlade
hypermode.pngcomplete.pngs.png
For Melans, I like the word Dox. Dox is old English for Dark. It's quick, easy and doesn't particularly relate to black. Keeping the same idea, Lux could be for the Albinos. Another quick easy word for light from Latin. Plus, then it keeps a theme between the two distinctions. Idk, but something as easy as Dox, Lux, and Shiny would be fun to have.
Remster's AvatarRemster
arceus.pngb+.png

QUOTE originally posted by Obesyx

This is an excellent point that should be considered! Of course, this is an English-centric website, but how these words translate to commonly-spoken languages is something to keep in mind.
This is because Pokefarm is an english website with the very big majority of its users not being french that I wanted to point that out :'D Would probably not be a big deal here, but there's still the risk of creating confusion with the official name for shinies in french, even for non-french speaker, if they ever check the french side of Pokémon. While "chromatique" isn't the translation of the word "shiny" (you can easily check with a translator), it's the name used for the french translation of Pokémon, so I just wanted to let everyone know :)
  • Infos
  • Collecting
Avatar by me He is one of my most precious OC, you are NOT ALLOWED to use it ! ~~ I'm French and not bilingual, but I try my best, so don't be too mad at me if my english is not very good, please :3
Priority summon_thu.png
Raijin's_Lamp
33 | summon_hup.png
Hyperspace_Ring
36 | summon_tko.png
Ku_Idol
26 ----- summon_zap.png summon_sui.png summon_hoo.png summon_kyo.png summon_ray.png summon_deo.png summon_gir.png summon_dar.png summon_zek.png summon_kyu.png summon_yve.png summon_bag.png summon_zer.png summon_zac.png summon_zam.png summon_ete.png summon_gza.png summon_gmo.png summon_zar.png summon_cal.png summon_w-c.png summon_c-p.png summon_t-l.png summon_c-y.png summon_oki.png summon_mun.png summon_fez.png summon_tpg.png summon_ogr.png

Pages: 123··· 56789··· 313233

Cannot post: Please log in to post

© PokéFarm 2009-2024 (Full details)Contact | Rules | Privacy | Reviews 4.6★Get shortlink for this page