PFQ Banner

This is PokéFarm Q, a free online Pokémon collectables game.

Already a user? New to PFQ?

Implementing A 'Block' Feature

Forum Index > Core > Suggestions > Under Consideration >

Pages: 123··· 6061626364··· 858687

QUOTE originally posted by Whit

My two cents: Don’t affect the forums at all. It is a shared space and people have the right to be heard. Be the bigger person and say a polite ‘no thanks’ if someone you dislike posts in a trade shop or something.
See the issue I personally have with this is if I block someone, it’s for a reason (like I’m not gonna block you (Whit) just bc our opinions may differ kind of thing) but I will block someone (not you) if they’ve harassed me or worse, but that’s just how I’d personally prefer to deal with it. Like if I block someone because they’ve been nothing but horrible to me and caused me a great deal of stress, I don’t wanna see that person ever posting in my threads. The only compromise I’d have would be that if I hosted a Type Race Thread (which in all honesty I ain’t gonna) they’ll still be able to post in it since it’s part of a community event, and they’d also be able to post in a joint shop if I’m not the owner** of the thread since the owner might not have any issues with them, I just don’t want them talking to me. Ideally I’d love to just hard block someone from commenting on any of my forum stuff but am willing to compromise to allow them to comment on Type Race Threads, Joint Shops (that I didn’t initially make) and other stuff that is community related. Another example; if they left the Contests Forums open and they wanted to enter a Contest I was hosting, I’d decline them. If I dislike someone for a big enough reason such as harassment then I don’t want you (a general ‘you’, not you yourself) around me, you know? I wouldn’t like, stop you (as in, yourself) from entering a contest I make just because we may have different opinions kind of thing. **This may still cause issues because even if I was the owner of the joint shop, my friends I’m co-owning with may not have any issues with someone I have blocked, so there may need to be a compromise on the joint shop end as well, though I’d greatly prefer a blocked person not being able to comment on any of my singular use trade threads or non joint shops (trades, art, etc) if the joint shop thing just isn’t feasible or ‘fair’ on that end.

Avatar is my sona, drawn by Saapricots!
×7/1000

Vixony An's AvatarVixony An

QUOTE originally posted by Doduo

The only compromise I’d have would be that if I hosted a Type Race Thread (which in all honesty I ain’t gonna) they’ll still be able to post in it since it’s part of a community event, and they’d also be able to post in a joint shop if I’m not the owner** of the thread since the owner might not have any issues with them, I just don’t want them talking to me. **This may still cause issues because even if I was the owner of the joint shop, my friends I’m co-owning with may not have any issues with someone I have blocked, so there may need to be a compromise on the joint shop end as well, though I’d greatly prefer a blocked person not being able to comment on any of my singular use trade threads or non joint shops (trades, art, etc) if the joint shop thing just isn’t feasible or ‘fair’ on that end.
If the thread owners block list decides who can and can't post in a joined shop, that could cause issues. @Staff is it possible to add an "advanced" settings menu either to user profiles or the threads themselves? The purpose of the advanced menu would be customizing who is blocked from the creators threads and which threads they're blocked from. A. Profile The ability to go to the advanced block settings and block the user in specific threads created by you. You can both block and unblock users from joined shops in this menu. B. Thread Advanced thread settings, you can enter usernames to block from each individual thread. Downside? If it tracks the username rather than the user ID, a username change could get past this. Furthermore if a new user chooses a username on the block list they'd be blocked from the thread. The joined shop owners can discuss which users to block/unblock from their block list in the thread. Additionally if a user is blocked from a thread and tries to post, does the post get hidden or are they unable to post? That wouldn't be an issue if the blocked user can't see the threads they're blocked from at all. The blocked user wouldn't even know they're blocked unless another user sends them a link to a thread they can't access. Scenario/example regarding permissions. User A and B have a joined shop and have agreed not to block user C from posting in the shop. User C is on user B's block list. User C posts in the shop. Ideally user B would see user C's post a hidden post they can open. Individual users block permissions shouldn't be overridden by the thread whether you're the owner of the thread or not. User B should see all user C's posts as hidden posts no matter what forum or thread they are in.
funeraljorts's Avatarfuneraljorts
Niet - That is a great feature to add to it! I am excited to see where this goes and what else is added to it :) I think this is a great first step, and it's really good to know for a fact that this is not the end of it. I look forward to seeing what else you do :)
avatar made on picrew with this creator
Terabbit's AvatarTerabbit
Glad to see you touching up the code Niet. I think pms not being blocked was a huge issue. Good to see it resolved.

QUOTE originally posted by Terabbit

If blocking pms can be added to the block feature id be happy. If there was a way to streamline DNC requests via sally that would be good too. I care about one thing here and that abuse victims not having to deal with their abusers in any capacity. *Except Whit apparently*
I’m really sorry, I completely appreciate your input and your right to an opinion here, but with all due respect please do not speak for all abuse victims here. I am a survivor of all three common types of abuse, and both online and IRL, and I still am against this feature because it has been used to aide in abuse against me on other websites. Survivors are not a monolith. You’re not speaking for all of us and certainly not for me.
I fixed my post Okay so pushing the passive aggressive and guilt trippy behavior to the side. You're upset/mad/annoyed at me for 'speaking for all abuse victims' because I don't want people to HAVE to interact with their abusers via a DNC request (which, as we discussed is basically a block anyways) but you want to specifically limit a block feature so users do have to interact with each other?? Im getting confused here because you're getting mad when "I speak for you as an abuse victim' but you're also actively fighting against to limit the capabilitys of what a lot of abuse victims in this thread has been asking for. But yeah okay, im sorry for talking for you even though i wasn't trying to speak for everyone. Just echoing the sentiment i saw in this thread that people don't want to talk to or interact with their abusers. also yes it sucks that you were/are abused. But you're kind of talking like you're the only one to ever be abused. It's rude to wave around your abuse in a thread like this like its some proof of validity to your opinions. It makes other's feel the need to share their abuse to be heard or validated and thats not a fair expectation for all users in this thread.
credit
Background drawn by DestinySquared on twitter OCs belong to myself and axelbby based off Mass Effect F2U code by Gumshoe Icon by me

QUOTE originally posted by Vixony An

QUOTE originally posted by Doduo

The only compromise I’d have would be that if I hosted a Type Race Thread (which in all honesty I ain’t gonna) they’ll still be able to post in it since it’s part of a community event, and they’d also be able to post in a joint shop if I’m not the owner** of the thread since the owner might not have any issues with them, I just don’t want them talking to me. **This may still cause issues because even if I was the owner of the joint shop, my friends I’m co-owning with may not have any issues with someone I have blocked, so there may need to be a compromise on the joint shop end as well, though I’d greatly prefer a blocked person not being able to comment on any of my singular use trade threads or non joint shops (trades, art, etc) if the joint shop thing just isn’t feasible or ‘fair’ on that end.
If the thread owners block list decides who can and can't post in a joined shop, that could cause issues.
This is why in my post, I mentioned having a compromise for it, since my friend may not have an issue with someone I've blocked. The thing I would like would be blocking someone from my threads that only I have made and run, like not a joint shop but just my own shop, like my temporary trade threads etc. I didn't quote the rest of your post but I think the points/ideas you brought up at staff would be a good compromise. The idea I had would have been if they've been blocked, they wouldn't be able to see the threads I've made at all, it would be like we didn't exist to each other which is what I think a lot of people in this thread have wanted, but idk if it's possible to implement. (I'm probably just repeating myself/your post at this point but I basically just wanted to say I do agree with your post lmao)
Szarkai's AvatarSzarkai

Glad to see you touching up the code Niet. I think pms not being blocked was a huge issue. Good to see it resolved.

If blocking pms can be added to the block feature id be happy. If there was a way to streamline DNC requests via sally that would be good too. I care about one thing here and that abuse victims not having to deal with their abusers in any capacity. *Except Whit apparently*
I’m really sorry, I completely appreciate your input and your right to an opinion here, but with all due respect please do not speak for all abuse victims here. I am a survivor of all three common types of abuse, and both online and IRL, and I still am against this feature because it has been used to aide in abuse against me on other websites. Survivors are not a monolith. You’re not speaking for all of us and certainly not for me.
I fixed my post Okay so pushing the passive aggressive and guilt trippy behavior to the side. You're upset/mad/annoyed at me for 'speaking for all abuse victims' because I don't want people to HAVE to interact with their abusers via a DNC request (which, as we discussed is basically a block anyways) but you want to specifically limit a block feature so users do have to interact with each other?? Im getting confused here because you're getting mad when "I speak for you as an abuse victim' but you're also actively fighting against to limit the capabilitys of what a lot of abuse victims in this thread has been asking for. But yeah okay, im sorry for talking for you even though i wasn't trying to speak for everyone. Just echoing the sentiment i saw in this thread that people don't want to talk to or interact with their abusers. also yes it sucks that you were/are abused. But you're kind of talking like you're the only one to ever be abused. It's rude to wave around your abuse in a thread like this like its some proof of validity to your opinions. It makes other's feel the need to share their abuse to be heard or validated and thats not a fair expectation for all users in this thread.
Where was i being passive agressive and / or guilt tripping? I'm generally confused here, as that was not my intent. Please do not assume intent or insert accusations of malicious behavior where there was none. I don't take kindly to false accusations. No, i do not think abusers should have the ability to further harass their victims. However, i also do not like giving just anyone the ability to shut down anyone else. People can and do exxagerate just because they don't like someone. As much as I hate it, people can and do lie about things. Not saying anyone here is lying about their experiences, but people can, and in my experience people will. I would rather, personally, not speaking for or above anyone else: have my abuser able to contact me, than have my own abilities limited without warning or discussion when I did them no harm. That's my personal opinion and I'm entitled to it. I do not believe its rude to be comfortable sharing my experiences. If someone else isn't they dont have to and that doesnt make them any more or less valid. I don't expect anyone else to share. I just like to share because I believe it helps people understand me more.
scavengers's Avatarscavengers

I would rather, personally, not speaking for or above anyone else:
This part right here is what's bothering me. If this is your personal opinion, then don't use the block feature. If it's not right for you, then you don't have to engage with it and use it. But many other people NEED this feature in order to feel safe. If you personally don't agree with that feature then fine, you ARE entitled to your opinion after all. But it's starting to feel like you think your opinion is the only right one, as you're constantly in this thread talking about how you don't agree with the feature. And fine, that's okay, it's your opinion. But in MY opinion this is a good feature and I think it should expanded upon and MY opinion is just as valid as yours.
pfp is pixel art, done by me! its my little alien hyena fella so cutest tiepnsy
Szarkai's AvatarSzarkai

QUOTE originally posted by maeflora

This part right here is what's bothering me. If this is your personal opinion, then don't use the block feature. If it's not right for you, then you don't have to engage with it and use it. But many other people NEED this feature in order to feel safe. If you personally don't agree with that feature then fine, you ARE entitled to your opinion after all. But it's starting to feel like you think your opinion is the only right one, as you're constantly in this thread talking about how you don't agree with the feature. And fine, that's okay, it's your opinion. But in MY opinion this is a good feature and I think it should expanded upon and MY opinion is just as valid as yours.
But that doesn't stop someone else, who's opinion differs from mine, from using the feature ON ME without my permission or without any communication and thus triggering me and impacting my ability to participate in this community, should the forums be affected at all. We're each entitled to our opinions but we need to think about how our opinions impact other people. The way I see it, people can get by without this feature. We have for all the years PokeFarm has been a thing. If this feature is implemented I will not feel safe. Why the safety of likeminded individuals is more important than my own safety in the eyes of people who claim to be so caring, i will never understand. I've proposed many compromises over the course of this thread to try and balance the safety needs of both sides. I feel like my safety in this community is in jeapardy. And that's why im so vocal, because if no one else will speak in my defense I will have to speak for myself. THATS why I am here.
Neonyan's AvatarNeonyan
Personally, I don't think forums should be affected further then what they have been already, if it's a blanket situation. Having the person's post hideboxed is perfect for me. If they post on an art or trade thread of mine, I will have to (unfortunately) set up a DNC with them, in that instance. I think there's too many complications with how the forums are set up to really effectively implement what's being discussed right now. (Not being able to post in a person who's blocked you's thread). Having to factor in so many different things, like suggestion forums, typerace threads, contests, giveaways, joint trade shops, etc is just... quite a bit. If it's possible to look back on the "compromise" I made in version 2.0, then I'd be more willing to let forums be affected. If said compromise is possible and not a massive pain to figure out (or even impossible) then we would still have some fringe cases (like trade shops) to figure out, but it's more managable to think about then how many multiples of cases we were considering before.

Table of my ideas of forum threads that would and would not be affected

Forum categories that will not be affected; Form threads that will be affected;
Announcements & all subcategories Journals & all subcategories
Suggestions & all subcategories Trades & all subcategories
Help & all subcategories Battles & all subcategories
Bugs & all subcategories Pokemon RP & all subcategories
Discussion & all subcategories Pokemon FF & all subcategories
Guides Pokemon Art & all subcategories
Contests & all subcategories Misc. Pokemon
Clans Other RP & all subcategories
Other Clans & all subcategories Other FF & all subcategories
Form Games Original Fiction & all subcategories
Mature Discussion Other Art & all subcategories
Mature Clans Miscellaneous
-- Mature RP & all subcategories
-- Mature Fiction & all subcategories
-- Mature Art & all subcategories
-- Mature Journals

★ Zachary ★ They/He ★ 22 ★

Quiet nature collector.
Free Eggdex Help + Free Pair Creation Help Free Forum Templatescredits

credits

Code & Divider @Neonyan Signature Pagedoll @Vehemourn on Toyhou.se Forum Icon @Kotatsu on Toyhou.se
G0ne's AvatarG0ne

Quote makes this long so using a hidebox

QUOTE originally posted by maeflora

But that doesn't stop someone else, who's opinion differs from mine, from using the feature ON ME without my permission or without any communication and thus triggering me and impacting my ability to participate in this community, should the forums be affected at all. We're each entitled to our opinions but we need to think about how our opinions impact other people. The way I see it, people can get by without this feature. We have for all the years PokeFarm has been a thing. If this feature is implemented I will not feel safe. Why the safety of likeminded individuals is more important than my own safety in the eyes of people who claim to be so caring, i will never understand. I've proposed many compromises over the course of this thread to try and balance the safety needs of both sides. I feel like my safety in this community is in jeapardy. And that's why im so vocal, because if no one else will speak in my defense I will have to speak for myself. THATS why I am here.
I don't mean to offend you by saying this but how is anything regarding you put in jeopardy because of other people not wishing to interact with you? As it stands, currently, this feature just hides names and threads/posts you may make for the person who has you blocked, if there even are any as there's really no way to know for sure. As you've mentioned yourself, people have gotten by without this, and the only difference is they'd have to see your name, or your posts, or your threads. This doesn't hinder anything on your side at all anymore than it may have before it was implemented, it's literally just a visual change. If you sent a PM to someone who did not wish to interact with you, they wouldn't answer. If you posted in someones thread who did not wish to interact with you, they wouldn't answer. Now they just don't need to see it along with not wanting to do it, you know? You mention people using the block feature on you without your "permission" but it's purely a visual change if I'm not wrong, and like I said people could already do everything they can now before it was added, which is basically just ignore you (hypothetically of course I'm not saying there's people who have you blocked and don't wish to interact with you), the only thing this brings is not needing to see your name as well. Please somebody feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but... is it not just a visual change? You could already ignore users before this was added. Or send them DNC requests which could be followed up with reports if they were not heeded. I'm genuinely struggling to see the arguments you're making I'm afraid. Your opinions and views are still valid but I'm just not personally seeing how they're negatively being affected by this at this moment in time.

Pages: 123··· 6061626364··· 858687

Cannot post: Please log in to post

© PokéFarm 2009-2024 (Full details)Contact | Rules | Privacy | Reviews 4.6★Get shortlink for this page