PFQ Banner

This is PokéFarm Q, a free online Pokémon collectables game.

Already a user? New to PFQ?

Implementing A 'Block' Feature

Forum Index > Core > Suggestions > Under Consideration >

Pages: 12345··· 858687

Ardik's AvatarArdik
I support this. My abuser still uses this site and I still fear their name will show up when I scour threads or click others. Being able to block would give me the freedom to interact without worrying about their profile popping up. About reporting: I cannot report my abusers for things they did to me off this site. I simply just don't want to see them!! I feel that as victim of abuse, others like me would benefit from a block feature if their abusers also use the site. In conclusion, I 100% would love to see this feature implemented.
My avatar was made by Dorgoat!
Terabbit's AvatarTerabbit
Can i discuss this here like this?? People who would actively want to block a user, i have a question, Would you prefer to not see or interact with users you block at all?? Or just not see their trainercards pokemon, username and not get messages or trades. Because Im thinking. Maybe a way to make blocking more i guess "game friendly" maybe blocked users names are like ***** for eachother, like users with inappropriate usernames. their trainer cards, trainers and about mes are blank, and their pokemon are all the ? Symbol and are called 'pokemon' so users coukd still click people that blocked them. They just cant see who it is. To protect anonymity i guess??
credit
Background drawn by AdimivA on twitter Gif created by JUSTICEBEETLE F2U & Icon code by Gumshoe
stocko's Avatarstocko
No support for the feature as it's presented in the OP. Clicking is the core premise of Pokéfarm; that should not be compromised for the sake of people's feelings. Something along the lines of what Terabbit suggested I could possibly support.
Mirzam's AvatarMirzam
My opinion on this is going to depend a lot on the specifics of the implementation... in a highly interactive game like this I think awkwardness around blocking is going to be inevitable, but perhaps it would be less awkward/upsetting than doing nothing. These are just a couple thoughts I had on specifics. Re: interacting While my immediate thought about interacting is that preventing clicks between users is kind of unfair, I think there's enough users here that unless people have massive block lists it shouldn't really change the average amount of clicks people get? I kind of like the **** name idea, but if you only have one person on your list it's going to be pretty obvious who that is. Re: forums I uh, hope that I don't end up blocked frequently, but in the suggestions forum in particular it would seem unfair for someone to be shut out of the public feature discussion due to being blocked? This forum has... drama... sometimes; tbh I think it's at least somewhat inevitable in public suggestion spaces. But I worry that some people may misinterpret bluntness for rudeness and block users who had important things to say about the suggestions. I can't really think of other forums where this would be as much of a problem. (ETA: I'm assuming that users OP blocks would not be able to post at all; if they can post but are just hidden by default then this doesn't matter)
pixelkitty's Avatarpixelkitty

QUOTE originally posted by Terabbit

I would like it if it was a choice to either see them as ***** or not see them at all. Possibly, the difference is a block button vs a hide button. Neither user can PM you. Hide: Hides user's posts in a hidebox Marks the user as ***** Marks Pokemon as "pokemon" or "egg" Block Hides user's post with a "this user is blocked" message and no way to view it User does not show up to be clicked
⚢ Sylveon PFP from Pokemon Shuffle
iOlrickx's AvatariOlrickx

QUOTE originally posted by Terabbit

Okay. But why would someones own, personal decision not to interact with another user affect you? If you wouldn't use it what does it matter to you yourself? You'd rather people HAVE to interact with users thag make them uncomfortable or actively disagree with their existence or rights as a human because "interactions". Thats not really a fair stance because there so many reasons to block others. And if it doesn't affect you what does it matter?
What are you going on about? Did you read the first post? It mentions the person(s) you block are also unable to interact with you which would affect me so I disagree with it? Why would I not want someone clicking my party when I benefit from it? That's why I feel like if you don't want to click someone then you can avoid them manually. If a block feature existed I would gladly use it, that's why I said I see nothing wrong with a block feature that's purely social interactions. This suggestion however is also about blocking people from interacting with your eggs/Pokémon so I simply don't support it lol.
Corviknight's AvatarCorviknight
I adamantly support a block feature. Have for years, and I do on any platform. There are a ton of reasons to want to block a user without it being reportable. There are a lot of homophobic and transphobic "opinions" onsite that may not be blatant enough to report as outright discrimination. I do not debate my existence to strangers and in all circumstances would rather block them. Furthermore, victims of trauma or people with obscure PTSD triggers may be uncomfortable with users based on offsite abuse or based on content they associate with. Telling people to "grow up" or "just ignore it" is blatantly ignorant to these things and incredibly immature and insensitive. On the subject of clicking, I would prefer not to have blocked users show up to click, because I don't want to support bigoted, abusive, or rude people.
official project sekai art; icon is official TCG art
he/him + 22 + cst

QUOTE originally posted by Colorful

QUOTE originally posted by Mouse 13

No support. if something on this site makes you uncomfortable that isn't reportable, then the internet is probably not the best place for you. This is the most "child friendly" site I know of with the most logical and well enforced rules. If you aren't sure if something is against the rules or not, just report it. It won't result in punishment for you or the other user if you're wrong.
Out of curiousity, how do you feel about Twitter having a block feature, then? Is that unnecessary as well? I suppose it could be argued that twitter is more of a social platform, however, with pokefarmq having forums that are for all kinds of things, it doesn't seem realistic to not call pokefarmq some kind of social platform as well.
I don't have twitter. or pretty much any social platform aside from Facebook, and that only so I can use the messenger to contact family. The majority of social platforms are toxic, poorly moderated and will sell your private info to pretty much anyone who'll pay. It's not even slightly comparable to pokefarm. That being said, I absolutely disagree with the block feature on Twitter, etc. Those sites should be better moderated to stop people from harassing others. Say someone sends you a threatening message on twitter, you block them. cool, you never have to see that account again. But they also can just go on to message hundreds more people with threatening messages. So blocking really doesn't do anything helpful, it just shoves the problem off onto other people. and there's millions of people on those sites. If there was a block feature on pokefarm, we'd most definitely start to see the same sort of thing happening, with people just blocking harassing messages, and letting the offender go on to harass others. Without a block feature, users are "forced" to report, which gets the harasser banned/dealt with before they can hurt other people. While you specifically would use the feature to block things that make you "uncomfortable", other people would use the block feature to get out of the hassle of reporting... which makes it more likely that you will get rude, mean or harassing messages, because there will be a lot more harassers that simply slip under the mod's radar due to lack of reports. TL,DR: A block feature would turn pokefarm from a safe place to a toxic social media site.
0 points Mouse's Midnight Market! S/A/M sales, boxboxes, gem swaps, summon sales & more Avatar art by me
iOlrickx, literally hundreds of people click me every single day, and i'm afk a LOT. if you block like 2 people, i really don't think it's going to make a lot of a difference if they can't interact with you.
  • Misc.
  • Important Mons
i'm mike. it/its. credits | journal | art showcase (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ︵ ┻━┻ will buy these
Mirzam's AvatarMirzam
Mouse 13, that seems like a bit of a slippery slope argument to me. This site is significantly different than Twitter in number of users and level of moderation. I don't see all that going down the drain just because some people block other people. It might take longer for certain users to get reported, which is unfortunate, but I hope that most users would still report blatant violations instead of just blocking. Everything has pros/cons, I'm not convinced that's a strong enough con to strike this idea out fully.

Pages: 12345··· 858687

Cannot post: Please log in to post

© PokéFarm 2009-2024 (Full details)Contact | Rules | Privacy | Reviews 4.6★Get shortlink for this page