PFQ Banner

This is PokéFarm Q, a free online Pokémon collectables game.

Already a user? New to PFQ?

Implementing A 'Block' Feature

Forum Index > Core > Suggestions > Under Consideration >

Pages: 123··· 858687

POLL: Quck way of getting thoughts on this;

•  56%
  •  11%
  •  19%
  •  14%

Total votes: 148

This poll is now closed.

POLL: NEW POLL; Do you want the Ver 2.0 block implemented?

•  79%
  •   4%
  •   9%
  •   8%

Total votes: 118

This poll is now closed.

POLL: NEW POLL: Do you want a block feature of any kind?

•  91%
  •   9%

Total votes: 151

This poll is now closed.

POLL: NEW POLL 2: How do you want this feature implemented?

•  12%
  •  80%
  •   8%

Total votes: 92

This poll is now closed.

Neonyan's AvatarNeonyan

Implementing A 'Block' Feature

• Trigger Warnings
  • Announcements
  • Important Mod Posts
  • Discussion Points
  • Actual Suggestion

Trigger Warnings

TWs for abuse, harassment, and stalking. These are discussed in detail throughout the thread, but none are in the OP post you're reading right now.

Announcements

Feature Un-Confirmation

The "Approved" sub-forum within "Suggestions" was changed to "Under Consideration." This does not mean the feature has been rejected, just that it is no longer a guarantied featue we will get.

Feature Confirmation

This feature has been 100% confirmed! It is not fully implemented yet, but there is a temporary solution in place. You can read more about it here. Due to the feature being confirmed, the focus of this thread is no longer to convince staff that we want a block feature, but to talk about what we want this block feature to look like. The current block feature is a template, kind of, right now! Please keep this in mind when posting.

Tentative Feature Confirmation

This feature has been tentatively confirmed! You can see the posts where they were confirmed in the "Mod Posts" tab. Please check them out!

Attitude PSA & Keeping Up to Date

Before responding to this thread with your detailed thoughts and opinions on this topic, please at least skim through the thread, and read the mod posts quoted. Many things are being repeated, making it difficult to filter through the thread, and the focus of the thread rapidly derails at times. If you have a problem with an individual user, please contact them directly or send them a Do Not Contact. Thanks for the interest, and please do your best to remain calm and respectful to both sides of the argument. If you find yourself getting frustrated and angry, take a step away from it for the time being. Cheers!

Main Talking Points (OUTDATED)

Edit; This is not needed quite as much anymore, and the questions and discussons are more open ended now! I'll be leaving this template up just in case you want to post your answers and never have before, though! I know it takes a long time to look at all of the main points and type them all up to respond to them (or even copy paste them!), so I've set up a little template that consists of Niet's main questions + longer questions. You can change this / edit it as much as you want!

How it looks

Question #1

Question;

If a user has interacted with you before you blocked them, and then you block them, how should this affect the Clickback list of both the blocking user and the blocked user? Originally posted by Niet

Personal Answer;

---

Question #2

Question;

If a user has blocked another user, but then finds an Egg from the Shelter bred by the blocked user, should they be able to see it? Adopt it? What about its timeline? Originally posted by Niet

Personal Answer;

---

Question #3

Question;

If a user blocks another user, it is fairly trivial to prevent most interactions just by blocking access to the Profile and Summary pages. However, it would not be feasible to block forum posts (as doing so can lead to crucial loss of context in a thread). This means the [pkmnpanel] cannot be blocked, and so interactions would be possible through there. How would you resolve this, bearing in mind that Interactions are already the most server-stressful feature of the site and adding more checks onto them is a Bad Idea™? Originally posted by Niet NOTE; This question was asked BEFORE version 2.0 was put in place. This question can be skipped, unless you have further insight.

Personal Answer;

---

Question #4

Question;

Should a blocked user be able to buy items from the Marketboard put up for sale by the user who blocked them? Or vice versa? Originally posted by Niet

Personal Answer;

---

Question #5

Question;

Should Wonder Trades be able to randomly pair you up with a user you have blocked? If not, additional checks will need to be added that could potentially result in Wonder Trades remaining unmatched, or worse it keeps trying to match you with the blocked user and never resolves. Since Wonder Trades can't be cancelled either, there's no way out of such a loop. Originally posted by Niet

Personal Answer;

---

Question #6

Question;

Some users may want blocking to result in the blocked user effectively "disappearing" from their gameplay experience. How would you reconcile this with the fact that Tournaments have a leaderboard with a limited number of places? Originally posted by Niet

Personal Answer;

---

Question #7

Question;

Same question for Pokérus. How would you handle someone wanting to hunt for Pokérus, only to find that a person they blocked currently has it? Remember they can't interact with them if they've blocked them. Originally posted by Niet NOTE; This question was asked BEFORE version 2.0 was put in place. I recommend ignoring the last sentence.

Personal Answer;

---

Longer Question #1

Question;

1. Site performance. As you may have noticed, the site already suffers from occasional lag spikes that refuse any attempt to diagnose or fix. It's something that's been a real thorn in my side. Or Lego brick under my foot. There are about 5k users who visited the site in the last 24 hours. That's a total of about 12.5 million possible inter-person links. Of those, I would estimate that maybe a few hundred to a thousand blocks would be made. After all, most people either get along just fine, or are content to ignore each other. Even if I generously round up the number of blocks, you're still looking at less than 0.01% of potential inter-person links being blocked. For such a tiny fraction, it is absolutely not reasonable to add extra database lookups to the Shelter page, for example. The Shelter is highly optimised to work the way it currently does, and adding a "block check" to that would slow it down by several orders of magnitude. All of that, for a less than 0.01% incidence. Similar logic applies to other parts. On the other hand, blocking the Profile page is super easy, barely an inconvenience. This is what I mean when I say it's about compromise. Originally posted by Niet NOTE; This question was asked BEFORE version 2.0 was put in place. This question can be skipped, unless you have further insight.

Personal Answer;

---

Longer Question #2

Question;

2. Game mechanics. PFQ is a game where every user is massively inter-connected with every other user. Most features involve interaction with other players in some form. Every single one of them will need to be tweaked to account for possible blocks. Many of them can probably be "fixed" by just anonymising the blocked user's name. ***** can work quite well because that's what we already use for censoring inappropriate usernames, so technically you don't know if it's a blocked user on the Timeline, or just someone who named themselves something rude. That's a good idea. What I might be able to do is add a filter to the Clickback list, such that blocked users won't appear on it - but they can still interact with you. That way you can benefit from their interactions, without even being aware of it and without the need to reciprocate. However, this may need some kind of limitation on it to keep things reasonable performance-wise. There may need to be a cap on how many people you can block, just to ensure it doesn't become a performance issue again, but that cap should easily be higher than anything you'll actually need. Originally posted by Niet

Personal Answer;

---

Important Mod Posts

This thread evolves as time goes on -- It's topic has refocused a few times, and there's lots of general development has been done! It's important to keep up to date on what the general consensus the community has come too, alongside paying attention to when staff members chime in to guide us along the way. Please read these staff posts before commenting! Even out-dated posts are important to skim to understand how some conclusions were drawn! Note that this thread is essentially wrapped up. These posts are left up to help you understand the flow of how the thread went. Additionally, a few users who participated in this thread are now staff and were not at the time of participating in the thread. Their posts are not considered updates.
Niet Post, June 19th, 2020: Important questions & concerns about the block feature. Niet Post, June 19th, 2020: Important questions & concerns about the block feature. Cele Post, September 17th, 2020: Lag discussion. Cele Post, September 20th, 2020: Re-focusing thread. Amanome Post, September 23rd, 2020: Block feature confirmed(?) + PSA about attitude. Shazi Post, October 18th, 2020: Block feature confirmed + PSA about attitude. Niet Post, December 9th, 2020: Confirmed block feature & link to temporary solution. Garthic Post, December 9th, 2020: PSA about attitude. Niet Post, December 10th, 2020: Update on how coding is going. Niet Post, January 26th, 2021: Update to Dr Who's block users userscript. Niet Post, January 26th, 2021: PSA about attitude. Niet Post, Feburary 6th, 2021: Update to Dr Who's block users userscript. Niet Post, May 24th, 2021: Update on feature priority. (Low - "it is not being worked on at this time") Cele Post, June 4th, 2021, Cele Post, June 4th, 2021 and Cele Post, June 4th, 2021: Updates on Niet's coding focus pivoting to PFNew. Terrabbit Post, April 6th, 2023 (NOTE
This user was not staff for any of their previous posts in this thread. From this post onward, they are staff.
): Feature is no longer confirmed (CONTEXT
The subforum "Approved" was changed to "Under Consideration" around this time.
). Acknowledgment of the brief deletion of this thread.

Discussion Points

Note; This was last updated December 10th, 2020. This is not being updated as there is nothing really left to discuss.
Currently, the thread is discussing how we want the block feature to look through the lens of what was implemented on December 9th, 2020. You can read more about that update here. Please remember that the best way to understand what we're discussing is to be reading the thread as it goes! Some of the points we're struggling the most over are as follows;

QUOTE originally posted by Agent8

just popping into rise my biggest concern that hasnt been named yet, i really dont want people who i have blocked to interact with my posts on top of not being able to pm me. the userscript isnt going to stop them instead forcing me to unhide their post so i can deal with it in threads :/

QUOTE originally posted by Whit

My two cents: Make PMs appear to go through, yet get filtered into a ‘spam’ inbox that doesn’t give notifications and can be optionally checked. Don’t affect the forums at all. It is a shared space and people have the right to be heard. Be the bigger person and say a polite ‘no thanks’ if someone you dislike posts in a trade shop or something. [snip]

sorry to jump in again i think editing it into my previous post would make it go under so: got a concern for the spam filter how are dncs supposed to work alongside it? lets say someone has me blocked they dont wish to see me but they unhide my trade posts or my auctions to partake occasionally because they dont mind interacting with me that way, i send a dnc, it gets filtered into the spam folder, they come into my trade shop/auction/etc. what now? they unknowingly broke the rules by doing so

what about bids placed in auctions? i cant exactly decline someones bid dueing an auction. scenario a) im asleep or otherwise afk, blocked user posts a bid, they get outbid, they bid again it goes on and the price gets higher, theyre still highest bid scenario b) blocked user outbids someone, that someone goes on to spend their money thinking they lost the auction anyways since they cant bid higher i can only see a blocking feature working for this otherwise not sure what to do

HEY YOU! Yeah, you. Did you read the other tabs? If you skipped them and came straight to this, you're going to be posting something totally unhelpful. Please read the other tabs first.

August 31st, 2020; Suggestion Revision (Ver. 2.0)

(The discussion for Ver. 2.0 starts on page 20)

Suggestion Title

Implementing the ability to block users, or "Implementing A 'Block' Feature"

Suggestion Summary

After listening to the feedback on this thread and growing more comfortable and familiar with the PFQ community, I’ve decided to revise my suggestion. There are many good additional suggestions to this feature made throughout this thread that I may not include here, but will try and find the time another day to link in this thread. This feature would be implemented under the options bar on "About [user]," below the "⚠ Report User" button. This would say "Block User." This would bring you to a new page
This could also be a pop-up window, similar to the pop up asking about breaking your egg chain.
that outlines what a "block" will do. After this explanation, there would a drop-down box asking about why you're blocking this user. After you've selected the 'Block User' button, there would then be a pop-up asking you if you would like to also report the user you've blocked. This would link you to the traditional report page. The drop-down box would have a few options. The one's I've thought of for now are "Personal Disagreement," "Rude / Bad Attitude," "Triggering Content (Please report if against site rules)," "Harassment (Please report once you've blocked this user)," and "Other." Personal disagreement & Other would not be stored anywhere or saved. Rude / Bad Attitude could possibly be saved, like an invisible strike to a user's profile, but this veers into a different kind of suggestion, so I'll leave it.
This would be suggesting staff punish for rudeness, which is a slippery slope and can be confusing. Not impossible, but also not the point of this thread. Maybe once this thread is approved it can be looked into further!
Triggering Content is one I haven't decided on yet -- I probably wouldn't have the system record it, and would instead hope that the user would report if it was against the rules. Harassment, however, I would urge to be saved in some way. I don't know if this would require staff to take action or not; if it's followed by a report, probably not. But if it's followed by nothing, maybe a staff member could reach out to said user and discuss with them. Again, this has less to do with what I want out of this suggestion, and more to do with what's realistic for staff. It would not be possible to block any staff members. Blocking users will not prevent them from interacting with you, or you from interacting with them. They will still show up in your "Open 10," "Users Online," "Clickback," and even "Pokérus." Blocking a user will cause their username to show up censored
This could be through the use of asterisks, or otherwise. It ultimately doesn't matter.
when you come across it in the future. They will be unable to send and receive trades and PMs from you. You will be unable to send and receive trades and PMs from them. (Start of 9/17/2020 edit) They will be unable to post in MOST forum threads that you have created, and you will be unable to post in MOST forum threads they have created.
Forum categories that will not be affected; Form threads that will be affected;
Announcements & all subcategories Journals & all subcategories
Suggestions & all subcategories Trades & all subcategories
Help & all subcategories Battles & all subcategories
Bugs & all subcategories Pokemon RP & all subcategories
Discussion & all subcategories Pokemon FF & all subcategories
Guides Pokemon Art & all subcategories
Contests & all subcategories Misc. Pokemon
Clans Other RP & all subcategories
Other Clans & all subcategories Other FF & all subcategories
Form Games Original Fiction & all subcategories
Mature Discussion Other Art & all subcategories
Mature Clans Miscellaneous
-- Mature RP & all subcategories
-- Mature Fiction & all subcategories
-- Mature Art & all subcategories
-- Mature Journals
If you believe I have missed or mis-categorized any of these categories, please let me know! (End of 9/17/2020 edit) Their forum threads will still appear in the recent forums pages to you, and your forum threads will still appear in the recent forums pages to them. If you come across a post made by them in one of the affected forum categories, it will be in a closed hidebox titled "Post by blocked user." for you to view if you choose. If they come across a post made by you, it will be in a hidebox titled "Post made by user you've been blocked by."
Can't think of an elegant way to word this one...! Suggestions welcome, of course.
More... Detailed, things; This will not affect wonder trade pairing. This will not affect Pokemon's timelines.
The username will appear censored, sure, but it'll ultimately still take you to their profile if you click on it for some reason.
This won't affect the shelter. I don't use the marketplace too often, I find it confusing and difficult to navigate, but I would imagine that this feature wouldn't affect who can buy from who in the marketplace.

Block Button Demo

None of this is official! I have simply edited the site visually through Google Chrome's "Inspect Element" to create what I imagine the block feature implemented to be like.

Positive points

Version 2.0 here of my suggestion takes many of the previously pointed out negatives into account and compensates for as many of them as possible. This would no longer impact gameplay and would be easier to stomach for many people who are on the fence about blocking. As per version 1.0 of this suggestion; a block feature will help users avoid people & other triggers that make them uncomfortable but aren't necessarily report worthy. This would help people to avoid their abusers & or stalkers. This could also prevent drama from escalating. In this version, it would be very difficult to abuse the block feature, from what I can tell. Similarly, while re-writing this version, I've put as much effort into making it easy to implement, and compensating for issues that staff members specifically came up with.

Negative points

Regardless of how much you tweak a suggestion, there will always be some bad. Being blocked can sting and could cause indignation and hurt. There will always be the chance for users to be upset from this. This could also be used to avoid reporting users. I've taken this into consideration and done my best to suggest ways to strongly encourage players to report users breaking rules &/or harassing others, alongside blocking said users.

Reason For Consideration

Now that the threads been around for a while, I think its important to see how many people do genuinely want this feature. It's been long debated, but over the majority seems to agree that a block feature in some way needs to be implemented. Again, even if it's not in ways I suggest, many people are for it. Take a look at the poll! Referring back to my little version 1.0; This is honestly a very widely implemented feature on many sites. It may be more confusing to implement on Pokefarm, but it's definitely not impossible. This will help many users feel more safe and comfortable on this site, and allow them to enjoy their experience here even more.

June 19th, 2020; Original Suggestion (Ver. 1.0)

Suggestion Title

Implementing the ability to block users, or "Implementing A 'Block' Feature"

Suggestion Summary

This feature / ability, in my mind, would be implemented as an option under options bar on "About [user]." This would just say "block user." This feature would prevent this user from clicking on your profile or interacting with your profile (sending dms, trades, etc.) and vise versa. (You could not interact with their profile through clicking, dms, trades, etc). This feature would also prevent said user from showing up from clicking 'users online > open all' or 'open 10.' I personally would prefer if you could both still view one another's profile, but not interact. Of course, if it ends up being that the general user base doesn't want that viewability, I wouldn't mind either way. Also; it would not be possible to block staff members / moderators / owners.

Positive points

This feature helps with avoiding things/people that make the user personally uncomfortable, but aren't necessarily report worthy. This feature would also help with people who have personal beef with one another, as opposed to them escalating the drama

Negative points

Blocking could cause confrontation to arise and could cause some hurt.

Reason For Consideration

Most websites implement this feature with little to no issue, and it greatly enhances many peoples experiences. Personally, I use the block button on many sites very liberally to cultivate the kind of experience I want to have on a specific website. I looked for this feature before creating this thread because I discovered someone with something in their bio that made me uncomfortable, (though I do not believe it is report worthy, it's more opinionated then anything) and would really like if I could block them so I don't have to interact with them anymore.

★ Zachary ★ They/He ★ 22 ★

Quiet nature collector.
Free Eggdex Help + Free Pair Creation Help Free Forum TemplatesForum Code Commissionscredits

credits

Code & Divider @RAINB0W Signature Pagedoll @Vehemourn on Toyhou.se Forum Icon @Kotatsu on Toyhou.se
Obstagoon's AvatarObstagoon
Unfortunately, as much I personally support this. Staff are adamantly against implementing a block feature as all issues you have with a user that would lead to you blocking them should be able to be resolved by reporting it.
Avatar is of my Pokesona and Crazy's pokesona 🦡Ryu - Julian is thy name, 23 earth rotations🦡
LunarHibiscus's AvatarLunarHibiscus
This has been rejected so so many times before already. If you took the time to look at the rejected forums you would find this type of suggestion in there.
Credits go to heysoup for the cute Noibat icon they drew.
Neonyan's AvatarNeonyan

QUOTE originally posted by Sapphirevixen

This has been rejected so so many times before already. If you took the time to look at the rejected forums you would find this type of suggestion in there.
Sorry, I'm rather new here. I looked through the first page of the recently suggested things (which went back a month, already? long time). As well as the linked thread here discussing the most common rejected suggestions to make sure that I wasn't re-suggesting. Would like to say I don't really appreciate how hostile you came off though, I really didn't know.
scavengers's Avatarscavengers
something having been suggested and rejected before doesn't mean it shouldn't be considered at all. I think the recent events that have happened on site and in the aca* thread show that SOME sort of block or filter system should be implemented through the site at least. even if thats just the ability to be able to turn the css that hides abouts and trainer cards on and off. i know its possible to do by using custom css on the site skin page, but a toggle for it on the party screen or something similar through the site itself wouldnt hurt, at least imo.
pfp is pixel art, done by me! its my little alien hyena fella so cutest tiepnsy
LunarHibiscus's AvatarLunarHibiscus
I would like to point out i didn't come off as hostile. If i came off as hostile then i would have been more rude with what i said.
Neonyan's AvatarNeonyan

QUOTE originally posted by Sapphirevixen

I would like to point out i didn't come off as hostile. If i came off as hostile then i would have been more rude with what i said.
Sorry, I should have said that it reads as hostile, or I interpreted it as hostile. It's fine if you didn't mean to be! Tone is hard to tell over the internet. Thanks though ♡
No support. if something on this site makes you uncomfortable that isn't reportable, then the internet is probably not the best place for you. This is the most "child friendly" site I know of with the most logical and well enforced rules. If you aren't sure if something is against the rules or not, just report it. It won't result in punishment for you or the other user if you're wrong.
0 points Mouse's Midnight Market! S/A/M sales, boxboxes, gem swaps, summon sales & more Avatar art by me
Neonyan's AvatarNeonyan

QUOTE originally posted by Mouse 13

No support. if something on this site makes you uncomfortable that isn't reportable, then the internet is probably not the best place for you. This is the most "child friendly" site I know of with the most logical and well enforced rules. If you aren't sure if something is against the rules or not, just report it. It won't result in punishment for you or the other user if you're wrong.
Out of curiousity, how do you feel about Twitter having a block feature, then? Is that unnecessary as well? I suppose it could be argued that twitter is more of a social platform, however, with pokefarmq having forums that are for all kinds of things, it doesn't seem realistic to not call pokefarmq some kind of social platform as well.
Constantine's AvatarConstantine
Just saying this here; while this has been 'rejected' in the past. Times do change and thus for PFQ also does need to change. Things that were rejected along time ago won't be now. So, I'm not going to bump this into rejected. Please discuss and give input.
♔ Fae King Give me equality.

Pages: 123··· 858687

Cannot post: Please log in to post

© PokéFarm 2009-2024 (Full details)Contact | Rules | Privacy | Reviews 4.6★Get shortlink for this page