PFQ Banner

This is PokéFarm Q, a free online Pokémon collectables game.

Already a user? New to PFQ?

Implementing A 'Block' Feature

Forum Index > Core > Suggestions > Under Consideration >

Pages: 123··· 2223242526··· 858687

Alik's AvatarAlik
Hmmm sure I'll support! I mean, not my cup of coffee but alrighty.
Anniss's AvatarAnniss
This suggestion has my full support! ^^ I've decided to hide my reasoning for support in a hide box, because it turned out rather long, sorry!

I like the suggestion of being able to give a block function flexibility, tailoring the block and therefore your own experience accordingly to what you need to make the site more accessible to you. I haven't seen accessibility discussed as in-depth as other parts of this suggestion, but giving users a block function that allows them to tailor their own experience more than interfering with someone else's I'd argue makes the site usable by more people, rather than restrictive. I'll argue for this because people who use this function can now ensure a safe and comfortable experience on the site, allowing them to use the site more/at all, and in some cases give them access to features they couldn't before use due to not having any sort of filtering. Say someone has an irrational but debilitating phobia of windmills, being able to hide the about me's/icons/forum signatures with windmills in them will make forums and/or clickback/open 10 functions of the site accessible to them again now that they can filter their experience and ensure they never see the same windmill twice! If you think this example is irrational, I'd just like to remind you that someone does not owe you their trauma/medical records or the like for their needs to be taken seriously (or at least shouldn't). I fully understand the need to ensure a block function wouldn't interfere with gameplay and I am not here to suggest a block function which restricts the play options of the user being blocked, rather than a filtering tool for the blocker, even if I understand the discomfort with not having a hard block. Any blocking feature is better than none, imo. On that note, I like the suggestion that you can block an user from your threads, but only in parts of the forum that do not hinder gameplay/fair discussion (in these instances I like the Discord-esque option of having the post of the user blocked being hidden until you decide to open it yourself, but their post is still in the thread itself). Lastly I've seen -and disagree with- the sentiment of "Not hurting the person being blocked's feelings", which is flawed in a sense that: (a) If you implement a flexible block function, some versions of blocking would be functionally invisible to the person being blocked, ergo they have nothing to be hurt over, and the person who blocked them now has a more comfortable site experience. (b) A block that is flexible is not always a "punishment". If I find out I am blocked by someone, and I know this is a feature used in contexts besides the ones that could count as a "punishment" (disagreements, off-site bad blood, someone simply not liking me etc.), I could go on with my PFQ life knowing that all right, I have one less person to PM/interact with on forums, but I can reasonably assume that unless I am platforming content I know will rub people the wrong way it might just be a matter of said user's personal comfort, and therefore none of my business. If you find not knowing uncomfortable, see right below this section. (c) This comes down to a discussion of who's hurt is more valid, the blocked or blocker's, and a discussion of hurt/discomfort probably shouldn't be value-centred. How do you measure who was hurt "more" without posturing and revealing information that you really shouldn't have to disclose to be taken seriously (see my windmill example again). (d) This could also assume that it is always the person being blocked who's in the right. Why is that? If you want to answer this question with something along the lines of "the person being blocked has no choice in the matter/this is something imposed on them" I want to refer back to a suggestion previously made on this thread: Providing a "reason" for the block. I've mostly seen this suggested as a passive undertaking. You write down your block reason (or don't, I think this should be optional) as you block someone, and whenever someone encounters the block you've placed on them (they find they can't send you a PM or post in your thread) the reasoning for such appears. An example message/pop-up could go somewhere along the lines of "User has blocked you from sending them PMs. Reason: [N/A]/My about me states no PMs, sorry!/Only accepting PMs from friends/etc." If this again is insufficient, I've got something actually new to add to the discussion: Implementing a feature to "contest/question" a block. If you find the reasoning lacking/confusing or you believe the block is the result of a misunderstanding, there could perhaps be a feature to send a note/message to the person who've blocked you where you're given space to apologize/question/ask for clarification. How is this different from just a regular PM? Well, I suggest the ability for the blocker to ignore the message without having to open it, and that's it. If it's ignored it's ignored and the blocker can go about their day. This feature would also either have a long cooldown, or be one time use (One time use could prove difficult if for example one sends a message pre-emptively/halfway finished, which is why I personally lean towards a cooldown). If this feature seems able to be abused, I would like to remind that abuse of the function is valid cause for reporting the user to staff, whether the abuse is malicious or not. The ability to contest a block is just a suggestion of my own, and I welcome any and all comments and criticism towards it. Better a suggestion tried and trashed, than never tried at all. ^^ I hope my reasoning is clear enough, and if it isn't don't hesitate to ask for clarification!
Avatar is an absolute unit drawn by me.
tiffyxfishy's Avatartiffyxfishy
In light of recent events, please implement a block feature. I am tired of seeing racist rhetoric from some users, and I'd prefer to not interact with them anymore, and vice versa. I don't even want to show you all a baffling "conversation" I recently had with another user. ❥"Just blacklist people you do not want to interact with." Blacklisting someone will still have them pop up in my "online users" clicklist. They also popup if they are pokerus. I'd rather just not see them when using these links. ❥"Blocking will hinder game play." I think this game, to an extent, can be played without relying solely on other users, let alone the few whose rhetoric I want to block. I am referring specifically to items like the EXP share, which will help hatch eggs / get EXP just by interacting/mass-clicking. In sum, blocking a few users here and there (or being blocked) should not significantly hinder gameplay for the blocked user. When implementing a one-way block, I would still keep all interactions a user made but their name is blurred out as "user" or some sorts. Other than receiving interactions, or perchance picking up their eggs at shelter, having access to their trainer page(even if they were a Pokerus host) should be completely muted. Regarding Forum Posts, like a Type Race Thread/Raffle When browsing the forums, we can perhaps still see their forum posts, but ideally, certain aspects should be blocked: who posted this (should appear as 'user'), and thus their forum signature as well. I know these are ideals, and I have no idea how to even code this stuff, but these are just my suggestions. I'm just bouncing off random points, but I wholeheartedly believe that the implementation of a block feature will be something all players will not mind.
0 pts
My shop! For S/A Pokemon, RTEs , Shiny Charm Rentals , super cheap Pairs, and more!
Avatar made via Kamui Customizer

QUOTE originally posted by tiffyxfishy

In light of recent events, please implement a block feature. I am tired of seeing racist rhetoric from some users, and I'd prefer to not interact with them anymore, and vice versa. I don't even want to show you all a baffling "conversation" I recently had with another user.
Racism is against the rules and should be reported. In fact, not reporting it would be breaking the rules, aka, letting someone get away with rule breaking. Either the racist behaviour will stop, or their account will be locked if they continue breaking the rules. thus no need to block.
0 points Mouse's Midnight Market! S/A/M sales, boxboxes, gem swaps, summon sales & more Avatar art by me
Miraidøn's AvatarMiraidøn

Post they quoted

QUOTE originally posted by tiffyxfishy

In light of recent events, please implement a block feature. I am tired of seeing racist rhetoric from some users, and I'd prefer to not interact with them anymore, and vice versa. I don't even want to show you all a baffling "conversation" I recently had with another user.

QUOTE originally posted by Mouse 13

Racism is against the rules and should be reported. In fact, not reporting it would be breaking the rules, aka, letting someone get away with rule breaking. Either the racist behaviour will stop, or their account will be locked if they continue breaking the rules. thus no need to block.
Disagree. I've seen people word their rhetoric in a way that can skirt the rules. If you were to check the thread tiffy is referencing when they say "in light of recent events" you would see what they mean.
percy
or whiims
/ 26
jan 17th
/ they/them naughty collector / ingo enthusiast
i usually don't make trade threads for selling my specials till i get about 20 or so saved up but don't be afraid to shoot me a pm if you see anything in my uft field you want!
credit
Background from Pokemon Anime Icon by Me F2U code by Gumshoe
Kinshine's AvatarKinshine
I will jump in on this as well even if I don't block people. I do NOT support this for the many reasons. First of if you don't like someone you can DNC them which pfq has in the rules. If they even come to you or talk to you at all it is seen as harassment,the staff bans them nonetheless they are in serious trouble if they come in contact with you this goes for shops / pms / trades / ect minus clicking. This is PFQ's way of blocking people in a polity way and its direct and simple. However blocking someone out from clicking is wrong. Clicking should not trigger anyone at all in fact we have css codes to hide peoples pages and names so you don't have to see anyone at all. Heck I don't see anyone pages when I am clicking so I don't see anything besides fields / parties because I want just be on here for clicking. However can't always hide the names due the click-back area, but there probable a code for that too... If anyone is breaking the rules like @Mouse 13 stated above me for example because racism is against the site rules that is reportable and the staff handles that very well. That is there job after all. --- @tiffyxfishy I will state it will harm the site... the exp share doesn't do anything as I click 50k - 100k a day and doesn't do a dent especially for legendary hunts. Also harms users very badly if people pull the stunt they did years ago with the rus issues. As people stated before Rus can be abused if for example someone dislikes someone they can team up with there friends and block that person out and that would leave them out rus and better interaction points. This has happen before with the lock feature on the fields I doubt the staff wants this to happen again let alone users. However, a one way block is the same as DNC, but if I am correct Neit stated there is a lot of coding issues that cant be applied to this site so that also could be a reason why we don't get the one way block. But I do see understand that names can be triggering and there should be a way to block out people names but really no one sees the names especially if you have css codes and your speeding through clicks. Only time I can be up front about seeing names is when I am clicking a rus person but that about it. --- Another issue be shops which Rebecca Gold totally hit the nail on the head with her post about the co-op shops and how difficult it would be. -- @whiimsicøtt However, I do agree we need to strict'n out the rules because I seen and heard of horrible events recently about people getting around the rules and posting racist comments in profiles / pm / ect. This shouldn't be allowed and if a lot people report it I believe the staff should take up responsibility and change the rules because rules are always subject to change right? Or at least someone out there has a code to block out this horrible stuff :(
Avatar by: Nettle Bee | Pixel by: Bufuserk
Anniss's AvatarAnniss
cw; mentions of racism and white supremacy, on the issue of "just report cases of racism"

The issue with "just report racism, and staff will deal with it" is the fact that not all cases are so black and white. A racist can code and rephrase their wording in a way that gives them plausible deniability. Say if it became racists "in-language" to place a cherry emoji on their trainer card. How are you going to judge such cases? If you go ahead and ask someone "Is this cherry emoji in your trainer card there because you're racist?" nobody's going to say yes! Yet, you cannot prove that they're lying, and can you outright ban putting cherry emojis in your trainer card at all? No! The next day the emoji could have been changed to f.ex. the lipstick emoji, and you'd have to start all over again, going in circles indefinitely. For a more realistic example say someone placed 88s all over their profile. White supremacists (who this user is signalling to that they stand with) and antifa (who's keeping an eye open for this due to prior education in the most common white supremacy dog whistles) can smell the "Heil Hitler" connotations coming from a mile away, but the user can say that that is not the intent and you'd have no way of absolutely telling if they're being truthful or not, and in terms of legality and site rules, your hands would then be bound. It'd be great to tell someone "maybe don't put white supremacy dog whistles all over your profile", but you cannot enforce them from doing so without a breach of freedom of speech.
And @D33RG0D5, you pose your absolute denial of a block function, but you do not mention the ability for a version of this suggestion to give users a tool of filtering and accessibility. Are you against that too? If the block function does not impede gameplay features in any way, but is rather a one way system which allows for the features I've mentioned in my previous post, is it still something you'd be fully against? If yes, because of the concern of co-op shops: Yes this would shift the dynamic of co-op shops who exist before this sort of implementation, but co-op shops are also usually an undertaking done by people who have the ability to communicate with each other. Otherwise it would probably be difficult to make these co-op shops at all. Then, if not being the thread creator creates the issue of discrepancy in block lists, you have the ability to either communicate with your shop co-host to come to some sort of agreement there, or if you cannot settle this discrepancy and having people you've blocked interacting with your shop is completely out of the question for you, then you can ask to be the thread creator or make your own stand-alone shop. I'd argue that this problem does have its solutions. If still yes, because there is CSS that can hide all about me's and trainer cards, then consider that this then becomes an all or nothing scenario. Useable maybe if having all of them hidden does not impede me more than it benefits me, but then again not if all I want to get rid of is f.ex. windmills, but I still want to see if any of my fellow users are selling an albino I'm looking for and do not have the time/ability to hunt for myself, f.ex. This also does not tackle the issues with forums, unless there is CSS accessible enough for everyone to use that can block specific aspects, like one user's forum icon and only that user's forum icon. If there is I'd love to see it, and I mean this fully genuinely. Again if anyone disagrees with me, I'd love to hear your take. Or if I'm unclear somewhere don't hesitate to ask for clarification. ^^
@Anniss - no I’m not against the new one I misread and only saw version one because my phone won’t load big pages half the time. Sorry for that. I know there was public post long ago about css that was given to everyone to block just about everything but I don’t even know where that is. But there a lot people make them still unless everyone I know quit and the threads are gone. (Been to long ;3;) But I didn’t see your post at all cause was hidden so I had to read through it. Appogizes for our confusion. I just read through and didn’t fully get it all. If there is a one way block and we can still click I’m for it. I do feel bad about co op shops especially when some people team up to sell summons and other special stuff but I am pretty solo minus my co op item shop. So this wouldn’t effect me much at all just know a few co op shops might but yeah. I know a lot people like cl op for many reasons thou but I mean everyone can have there own shops if it comes down to it. Only thing I can see right now is neit have to put this in the new site cause I think this site has to many coding issues from what he stated to me before in another thread as well as a few mods mentioning it to me as well. But I would support a one way block that be helpiful for people so they wouldn’t have see this kind of stuff and still be able to click. :3
inactive's Avatarinactive
Full support, please I am literally begging for this. I'm so sick of casual racism on pokefarm

QUOTE originally posted by KatieKomics

Full support, please I am literally begging for this. I'm so sick of casual racism on pokefarm
I agree with you! I been seeing some really bad stuff lately and it’s really disgusting and sad to be honest! Even If I don’t see trainer profiles / cards unless rus of course like yesterday was just ... I’m not going name people, but what I saw for the first time reading some profile pages and trainer cards was just ... so racist (casual or not) that I don’t care if the site says it’s ok and it’s freedom of speech. It was just wrong on so many levels. Not to mention I could tell with some players they were directing comments at other players and this is just sad because this is a clicking site not a site where we should be doing this and attacking people with horrible words and comments in profiles and trainer cards ;3; I wish it would all stop and people would grow up. In fact I wish the site could take down some of these horrible things, I just saw because they border-lined direct messages at people as well and it makes a simple clicking game just not enjoyable especially people like myself who come here to just click have a peaicful and fun time. I hope to arcreus they imply this or somthing ... if not I hope neit puts a feature in the new site to allow us to block because after fully seeing what you all have spoke about it really hurt me to see people like this it blew my mind and just disgusted me to be honest with everyone it even hurt to see it and to think people like this :( So please to the site mods and admins please imply this! Edit - I got more my friends to vote yes to this as well even if they don’t want to post publicly and Might be scared to speak up they support this 100% as well. Just wanted to add that and let people know more people are supporting this! <3

Pages: 123··· 2223242526··· 858687

Cannot post: Please log in to post

© PokéFarm 2009-2024 (Full details)Contact | Rules | Privacy | Reviews 4.6★Get shortlink for this page