PFQ Banner

This is PokéFarm Q, a free online Pokémon collectables game.

Already a user? New to PFQ?

Update on the "Reboot"

Forum Index > Core > Announcements > News Archive >

Pages: 123··· 67891011

UnownVelouria's AvatarUnownVelouria

QUOTE originally posted by Belial

In terms of why it was cancelled... people said no. So they're listening to the players. :P
I really hope that's not the case, but it's happened before. The much-requested Trade Center update was cancelled because people complained about 1 thing, something we already have: Unlimited currency trades. Everything else was generally responded to positively. I hope the negative response to losing progress, which was confirmed to not be happening, wasn't the reason for this change. My only issue with this change originally was losing the chance for inactive accounts to be purged, but as many people put in their ideas, I can see it's much worse than that. If the site's as bad as Noot has said, being almost impossible to make updates to, it seems like a full rewrite would be neccessary whether we call it pfq (pfq2? pfq3.0?) or pfr. Which is easier? Noot knows best. It could just be Noot doing the same thing he was doing for the reboot, but just saying it's still pfq to alliviate the concern. Either way, I'm hoping the teased improvements, forgotten accepted suggestions, and highly requested updates will be implemented, whether we call it pfq or pfr.

QUOTE originally posted by Kiryu

add me to the list of ppl disappointed from this I was also really looking forward to finally getting my ideal username since the person who has it here hasnt logged in in over 5 years and never hatched their starter, and this would have been a perfect way for me to get the username i wanted while not ''''stealing'''' the name from them. but now.... ;_;
Same here. The username I want, while they have hatched their starter, still have their bulb after 4 years of inactivity. And with how old pfq is (Don't know when they moved from pf1, but the recode was 7 years ago), it's really needed. Hopefully something gets done about it with this new recode. I've been thinking a lot about the most optimal way to implement this (And I might write a suggestion for my current idea at some point), but if you've been gone for years, I probably could just be a "stinks to be you" situtation, especially if you still have a bulb. Obviously, you didn't care enough about the site to stay active, and in many cases, finish or even start the tutorial.
Buying Sapphire Orbs! PM me if you're selling. Profile picture by BananaLizard. Mimikyu/Sakura (FE) fusion.
Leonidas1754's AvatarLeonidas1754
Honestly, I'm not sure about this one way or the other. I feel like a lot of the problem comes into play with the way the site is set up. The core mechanics, the absolute bones of the site, is solid- Click to interact, feed berries, all that gives exp to hatch/level. But once you start expanding from that, everything gets a little shakier. While there's been an excellent effort to expand the site's activities, and these ultimately have ranged from definitely good to eh, okay (though some of that is definitely subject to personal tastes). Honestly, I think a lot of it would need to be rebuilt, if only to refine and build other good foundational things, like potentially story/quest or such. Granted, I'm not a game designer/coder, no matter how much I'd like to be. So maybe there will be a way that works. I dunno, I suppose we'll just have to see in the future.
Icon by Me
Yachiru's AvatarYachiru
Thank you for this update. ^^
Let us watch the sakura petals next year too.
G0ne's AvatarG0ne
"In terms of why it was cancelled... people said no. So they're listening to the players. :P" I'm sorry, this... upsets me to read, for a few reasons. The way I read this, it's being implied that it's the fault of the users, for whatever reasons they would have listed, that GOOD work for the idea of this site, that would have exponential positive outcomes, for likely years to come, was halted because users were prematurely and mediocrely informed. We were given information, but not all the information, and so reactions weren't what was hoped. However, nothing is ever going to get 100% positive feedback, and so being told that this was canceled because users weren't happy with it, seems unreasonable. It's to my understanding that when you run a game thousands of people play, opinions rarely ever boil down to the same thing, being approval or disapproval, but that doesn't mean you stop. It means you adjust to try and meet the needs of your players. The people that give the game purpose. Not only did this not happen, it was all just shelved. Garthic said this doesn't mean it was canceled work, but it does mean that 6 months of work was ineffectively used. The coding for the site, the core coding, is troublesome, and while the reboot is probably the only way to fix that, just giving up on it, even if for the time, means nothing is being solved. If the site is easier to update and code and expand, easier for ANY positive future installments to be made, then it shouldn't be shelved, or scrapped, or canceled, it should continue being worked on. That's my opinion. However that's not to say this site shouldn't be getting updates, and work done as well. Those 6 months, when everyone thought we weren't getting new changes and updates to the site because there was an entire new site being worked on, that was a reason for the lack of updates. But for it all to be shelved, that makes both the lack of updates and the reasoning people thought behind it useless. I find it aggravating, personally. I'd rather this announcement said it was being restarted, or there was a setback or some other reasonable announcement detailing it, preferably more in depth that what was given. It feels like it's just been given up though. The reboot was prematurely announced, and not enough was said. Instead of learning from it, as Garthic also said, I feel not enough was said in this either. I'd rather this been delayed a week for more details to be included, in that case. While, again, I'm of the opinion that a reboot is good, and I'm sad it's being shelved, there were a multitude of things that could've been done in those 6 months, or prior if I'm being honest, that weren't because instead, a project took priority that lost it's priority, and thus the site lost 6 months of work. I've noticed many discussions about the Type Race, or Tournaments, or Specials Value/Rates. People state their opinions on these things. The Type Race is dying. Tournaments make Arceus Rank feel like a chore, and a hassle, instead of a reward. Player activity is falling and the bonus bars aren't adequately representative of this. A HUGE topic is the consistency used on revamping sprites, and how many users are not fond of the colors being chosen. Not all of these are discussed onsite, but there are issues people have with them. People make suggestions for these things, and they take long to get rejected or approved, and longer to be implemented. I know that's being worked on, but it's still just... an issue. I'm aware staff have lives, and just because they are staff it does not mean they should revolve their life about PFQ. However. 10 months ago new Mods were chosen, trained, and given their roles showing they are fit to handle the job. We have one new MiT currently. Why not open more apps up? If there are more things to do than can be handled at the moment, both applicable for mod and art team, why not just... hire more users? Hundreds of users would love the chance to help the site. People, users, players, spend time and money on this site, and say tons of things about it. What they like. What they don't like. What they want to see change. What they want to see added. Users say plenty that can be listened to. Users said plenty about the reboot. Not all of it was bad. Even if it were, the reboot was less a random idea and more a necessary. Furthermore, it was stated numerous times that nobody would lose anything, and this site would be kept up for as long as possible. I feel the most common thing to have been said from the revamp, was misconstrued beliefs due to the, again, poor execution of the premature news about it. Even more than this, however, straying from my topic slightly. We had 6 months, with nothing. We all assumed the reboot was having progress made, and this site suffered slightly, but it was OK because the future would have a better site with more stability. But now that it's clear this won't be happening anytime soon, those 6 months have nothing to show but what we lost. We didn't get a Halloween event. We didn't get a Christmas event. Are we going to get a Valentine's day event? Last year, this event, assuming it's the same, was announced on the 10th. Furthermore, we missed out on a Halloween event. It's stated in the thread Niet was on holiday for this, but I wonder if something could've been planned prior to this, had work on the reboot not been priority, as it was assumed to be. We missed out on quite a few events and opportunities for expansion on this site, because this was happening. Happening regardless of what people "said" as far as we knew, until announced otherwise. I just wanted to give my two cents, I didn't like the wording and the implications that I, for one, drew from them. Hope nothing I said is deemed harsh or rude, just giving my thoughts, I am not trying to hurt feelings.
VyrusVoyd's AvatarVyrusVoyd
I'm still impartial to a reboot- mind you I was afraid of my progress being lost at first but then I was told PFQ would stay for those that wanted to remain. Which I was fine with. Now that it has been said that a reboot isn't coming, I guess its fine, but sad at the same time. This site has had a handfull of problems, many of which I probably have no idea off- a reboot could've fixed it all. So I guess I am 2 sided. /shrug (My parents always said: "You can't please everyone." I guess it applies here, imo)
I'm not bothered by the reboot being shelved, I wasn't really keen on it nor was I against it. What does bug me is that this was only shelved now after a fair number of users became inactive on hearing about the reboot. Losing a bunch of users over that and then later shelving that is pretty unfortunate. And indeed, this effort towards the reboot could have been used for improving current parts of the site. Many a complaint has arose about specials tanking in value, about Type Race being pretty much borked, and more. It's just sad that a big chunk was taken out of the userbase as a result of the reboot and other parts of the site becoming stale, and then 6 months later no progress has actually been made on the reboot or on other site features. I appreciate it may not have been easy to shelve it nor was it easy to begin working on it in the first place, but this isn't great :/
Avatar: Official (Project Sekai)
darthz42's Avatardarthz42
Always appreciate the updates, hope there will be some positive changes to the site upcoming!
Foiry's AvatarFoiry
This means I can come back and be active without worrying about my progress and hunts. :) excited!!
Zen's AvatarZen
I really don't get why it had to be shelved. Was it really just because people didn't want it? That... is kinda dumb? I was looking forward to the reboot. Being able to start over, the quests it was supposed to have, the fresh start to specials and currency. Heck, just three months ago the suggestion for Kinaster to have a better breeding rate was rejected because the Reboot would fix the issue. Now it feels like that issue isn't going to be addressed. And like others said, we assumed the lack of updates here was so Niet could work on the reboot. And now it just feels like wasted time as that could've been used for updates we've been waiting for. We were fine without a few events because we were aware the reboot was being worked on. That the reboot would fix a bunch of issues, as well as allow Niet to be able to update quicker without needing to hack his own site for it to work. Not to mention the Reboot would allow for slightly larger sprites, which would've allowed the spriters to fix the ones that are too small or are basically smushed due to the small space they had to use. Instead in that time we get radio silence only to be told it's cancelled. I get one should listen to their player base when it comes to changes, but I've seen quite a few things added that got a lot of backlash, yet they weren't removed/changed, so why is this something that does?
Avatar by cloudtail. My shop I do gem hunts, box hunts, dexing, have items and even breeding pairs. PFQ B-day thread.
Poké-Hatcher's AvatarPoké-Hatcher
The only concern I had about the reboot was the idea of having to "re-earn" my Pokemon in order to transfer them - I spent a ton (of both in-game currency and real-life money!) on Shiny Legendaries, so having them taken away for an indeterminate amount of time left a bad taste in my mouth, and the thought of having to unlock them again, especially my Shiny Arceus, filled me with dread. Sure, I just just ask someone for the dex entry, but they could easily ask for a payment I couldn't afford, and unlocking Legendaries is a really tedious and time-consuming task, and I was on PF1 when there was a Quest mode which made unlocking stuff even more tedious (or in the case of Missingno, PkMnaPkMnfPkMnk
No, that's not a keysmash. That's an actual Glitch Pokemon you could obtain in PF1.
, and Gosold, an utter crapshoot), so I didn't have much faith that I'd be able to bring over the Pokemon I actually wanted to bring over anytime soon. But that's just one aspect I disagreed with, which could be adjusted. This feels like throwing the baby out with the bathwater.
My babies: Avatar - art by myself / You can call me PH or Hatcher c:

Pages: 123··· 67891011

Cannot post: Please log in to post

© PokéFarm 2009-2024 (Full details)Contact | Rules | Privacy | Reviews 4.6★Get shortlink for this page