PFQ Banner

This is PokéFarm Q, a free online Pokémon collectables game.

Already a user? New to PFQ?

Sprite Discovery Discussion

Forum Index > PokéFarm > Discussion >

Pages: 123··· 527528529530531··· 748749750

Gwafaiai's AvatarGwafaiai
Oh, I think I get it. So the sprites that were supposedly removed were missing from the rebooted wiki and the users didn't notice they were missing? (Sorry for the bothersome dumbness, all nighters aren't fun)
Ange ✦ She/They ✦
agender pan
journalshop
F2U code by Colorful
Hoard:|| Buying: | |
Poison Deltas
Sei's AvatarSei

QUOTE originally posted by Remilia

Oh, I think I get it. So the sprites that were supposedly removed were missing from the rebooted wiki and the users didn't notice they were missing? (Sorry for the bothersome dumbness, all nighters aren't fun)
Basically! If you look up any sprite page the oldest history available would be from early october 2018. We swapped servers for the wiki and couldn't get back any information - much to the frustration and dismay of the wiki editors.
ValleryP's AvatarValleryP
I remember quite well when we had to reupload everything. Unfortunately due to the the server mishap we weren't able to get the sprites from before any redo's were done because no one kept a back stock of those sprites. I know at one point someone was working on trying to get the old sprites in order to have them up there again but I'm unsure how well that had worked out. There was only a handful of sprites that some users had but definitely not all of the originals of say the Kanto region. It was a frustrating time for everyone to be honest but with teamwork we were able to get the current sprites back up and running on the new wiki server.
Score: 0

Apocalyptic Growlithe Pic|Avi by Kattling
Vixony An's AvatarVixony An
So none, or very few members, of the art staff kept any sprites on the devices they were created with? Y’all make a sprite, upload it, then delete the file from your pc?
Terabbit's AvatarTerabbit

QUOTE originally posted by Vixony An

So none, or very few members, of the art staff kept any sprites on the devices they were created with? Y’all make a sprite, upload it, then delete the file from your pc?
The sprites are probably really old and made on devices that the art staff might have upgraded or broke. I do think that pokefarm should maybe look into an archiving system more reliable than the wiki for sprite updates but thats 100% up to the staff and if they don't want to do that they don't have to and we dont have the right to demmand those sprites from them. Especially since the art team are volunteers. Even if some art staff did have the old sprites they don't need to post them and we shouldn't be asking them or suggesting that they lack archiving skills just because they might have the sprites on a private server/drive. Even if they did just delete them its none of our business how the art staff organize their personal computers/tablets whatever they use.
credit
Background drawn by AdimivA on twitter Gif created by JUSTICEBEETLE F2U & Icon code by Gumshoe

QUOTE originally posted by Vixony An

I feel like it would be unreasonable to expect artists to keep every single sprite they have done in the past years on their hard disc on top of having new sprites to work on. While old vs new sprite comparison would be nice, I personally think the newer sprites are extremely well done and there is a visible improvement. Melan Kyogre looks amazing. Although I'm not fond of its primal form in general, purple works well and it makes it seem like it's glowing without having the actual glow effect. I honestly can't wait for melan Mega Ho-oh Q and Stakataka to be discovered to see the colour palette art team choose for them.
Offering 20.000 for 6IV Ditto Disclaimer: I'm not native English speaker. Please read my posts and messages in calm and friendly tone, and do ask for further clarification in case of confusion. Thank you! ~
Gwafaiai's AvatarGwafaiai
@Rebecca I believe some of the issue is that with the wiki death and new sprites, some users don't care for the new ones and want to use the really old ones for css, but can't because they dont exist anymore (ie me trying to find that og white and gold umbreon, rip), not necessarily being an old vs new comparasion.

QUOTE originally posted by Remilia

@Rebecca I believe some of the issue is that with the wiki death and new sprites, some users don't care for the new ones and want to use the really old ones for css, but can't because they dont exist anymore (ie me trying to find that og white and gold umbreon, rip), not necessarily being an old vs new comparasion.
I wasn't commenting on the wiki storage and 'asking for old sprites' situation since I have nothing to say about it besides artist having full right to delete them from their pc. I just said old vs new sprite comparison would be nice and that I like the new ones.
ValleryP's AvatarValleryP
@Vixony An~ I do not know if the art staff has any to be honest. I just help upload stuff like the sprites and I, personally, do not keep all of the sprites I upload on my computer because they can take quite a bit of memory. Once you think about ALL of the pokemon plus their albinos/melans. So you gotta think 800+ x 3 of each one that is about 2400+ sprites not including any that are redone (which is what 3 soon to be 4 regions plus the redos of the ones that they went back on and fixed again?) . That's quite a bit to keep on a computer or where ever. I don't think art staff or even regular users like you and I ever thought that the wiki would fritz out and basically corrupt all of the files. Those of us who helped did what we could which was which ever sprite was current at the time. @Remilia~ I can understand your point as well and I don't know about others but I personally mourn the fact that we weren't able to retrieve the Original sprites even if it was just for comparison or for what you stated.
Vixony An's AvatarVixony An
@ValleryP, @Rebecca Gold & @Optimus Prime I understand all of that and do not expect them to keep all of their sprites on their computer (or other storage options). But it’s hard to believe that they would remove ALL of them from their computer. @Optimus Prime It was a question out of curiosity and not a demand to contact retired art staff and ask them to look for their sprites. I’m not going to ask them to go out of their way to do that.

Pages: 123··· 527528529530531··· 748749750

Cannot post: Please log in to post

© PokéFarm 2009-2024 (Full details)Contact | Rules | Privacy | Reviews 4.6★Get shortlink for this page