PFQ Banner

This is PokéFarm Q, a free online Pokémon collectables game.

Already a user? New to PFQ?

Real Money Trading

Forum Index > Core > Announcements > News Archive >

Pages: 123··· 333435

Methos's AvatarMethos
17 June Edit: It's now been... a really long time since RMT has been disallowed. Four whole months. 142 days. By now, any RMT trades agreed upon prior to the ban going into effect should have long since been completed. Please note that any non-art-related RMT conducted after this date, regardless of the date the agreement was made, will be penalised in full. Penalties will range from the removal of trading privileges to permanent account bans, depending on the severity of the infraction, and we do not expect to be lenient regarding such infractions. Please take heed of this warning.
4 Feb Edit: Hey there, it's now been a week. Please remove all RMT offers from trade threads, trade shops, and non-art-related RMT from your profile pages, if you haven't already. Moderators will begin sweeping for remaining offers shortly.
Hello there! While we hope everyone has had a safe and pleasant 2022 so far, I'm afraid we come to you with some bad news. We've been reviewing the legalities around real-money trading (RMT) for some time now. You can see our previous announcement about RMT here, where we stopped supporting RMT on PokéFarm, but did not ban it. And this account breach incident where we first brought up issues with RMT and how it contributed to the rampant theft. After all of this, we've reached an unfortunate conclusion: In order to prevent legal issues, we are going to have to stop allowing RMT for PokéFarm digital goods. This includes both direct payments through services like Paypal and exchanging gift cards, whether physical or digital. Any RMT trade agreements found to have been made after this announcement is posted will incur site penalties ranging from a warning, to trade locks, to permanent site locks in the worst case scenario.
  • Any trade agreements for RMT made prior to this announcement may be completed, preferably as soon as possible.
  • Players have one week from the time of this announcement to remove any existing RMT offers from their Trade Shops and profiles.

I'll get into the legal stuff a bit later, but first I'm going to explain what we mean by "PokéFarm digital goods". This is anything obtainable from the game itself. Things that are PokéFarm digital goods:
  • Pokémon (whether regular, shiny, albino, melanistic, Delta, or Custom Sprites)
  • Items (ALL game items that can be found or purchased on PokéFarm, including items purchased with Zophan Canisters)
  • Currency (Credits, Gold Poke, Zophan Canisters)
To put it another way, anything that can be traded through your Trade Centre, the Market, or any other bit of PokéFarm.
As a knock-on effect, PokéFarm is also no longer going to allow players to use PFQ as a platform to arrange RMT trades for digital goods from other websites. If the other site allows RMT trading, please make any such trade arrangements over there. If the other site doesn't allow RMT trading, then attempting to arrange it here was already a violation of both their and our Terms of Service. Please make a big note that art is NOT a PokéFarm digital good. In the case of art (including templates), PokéFarm is only acting as a platform. The ability to use Paypal or similar to pay for art commissioned on PokéFarm is not affected by this change.
Now for the legal stuff. There are two big issues with RMT in exchange for PokéFarm's digital goods. The first might come to mind when you hear the term "loot boxes". RMT attaches a *monetary value to PokéFarm digital goods that was never actually intended, and because Boxes (and Box Boxes) can be purchased from other players using RMT, purchasing and opening those Boxes can constitute gambling and we can't allow that. Purchasing ZC (in-game or virtual currency) from the site and using that to purchase Boxes instead keeps this from being gambling in the legal sense, which is why gacha games have you buy things like Primogems in Genshin Impact or Saint Quartz in Fate/Grand Order. The other reason is rather more people-driven. Be honest; of everyone who has conducted RMT trading for PokéFarm digital goods, how many of you have declared any profits you made on your taxes? Some of you have made thousands of dollars, especially through trading digital currencies or melanistic Pokémon. Not all of you have done this, but PokéFarm really, really can't play host to tax evasion, or worse, money laundering. As some very notorious people have learned throughout history, you do not get on the bad side of the IRS or HM Revenue and Customs.
Things we know people are going to ask:
  • Can we have a grace period before this goes into effect? I'm afraid not. If this decision were being made for anything other than legal reasons, we absolutely would be giving everyone a grace period. But offering some extra time to do a thing that we just said is legally problematic rather sends the wrong message.
  • Can I still sell art for real money? Yes! As we said earlier, in fact, but I know that was a lot to read. We are not going to discourage anyone from using RMT for art commissions, beyond the obligatory reminder that it's risky and we can't do much to help if it goes wrong. (If anything, we think a lot of artists here are undervaluing their work and should be charging more than they are.)
  • What about Gragon's Gift? As the name states, Gragon's Gift is a gift, or a bonus, not a purchase.

QUOTE originally posted by Cele

The discussion over the past months/years was removal of RMT on the basis of users scamming one another / etc. Basically it being a heavily difficult issue to resolve when it comes to trade breaches, because we can neither force nor prove the reversal of funds via PayPal when a user tries to fleece or scam someone else. These discussions were ultimately not acted on because we didn't want to punish the many for the few. The discussion that began 14 Jan was on the basis of users likely not claiming their income from it on their taxes, which is what lead to the ban of RMT becoming final. This was legality that we came across - we could no longer argue it. We had to move to ban it immediately upon reaching that conclusion on its legality, and that is why we are here.

We are aware that this is not going to be a popular decision. I don't think anyone on staff likes it. Some of us really don't like it, since we were doing RMT ourselves. But legal is legal. We welcome feedback, suggestions, and discussion, but please keep it civil. Being upset is understandable. Abusive language is not.
*Monetary value: This refers to the ability to convert digital goods back into real-world currency, or to get money "back out" of the system.
Official site avatar. Current site avatars were created by the lovely DuchessLunaire.
Sharpy's AvatarSharpy
I very much understand why this is taking place but...I feel like many people are going to be quitting in droves now.

0 💖
PFP by pinkskittypow!

MochaFox's AvatarMochaFox

QUOTE originally posted by Sharpy

I very much understand why this is taking place but...I feel like many people are going to be quitting in droves now.
We have discussed that during the time of composing the post, but we did decide that this would be best to avoid any further... issues like the aforementioned stuff in Methos's post
✦ ✦
69/500+
153/500+
✦ ♥ Jacob Daniel born 7/17/18 ♥ ♥ Zander Leon due 8/1/24 ♥
✧ Template: [✦] | Avatar: [✦] | Background: [✦] | Font: [✦]
ShadowNova's AvatarShadowNova
I feel like this is my reason to quit. I really enjoy this game and friends here. Hatching pokemons is ultra satisfacting, but... Pokefarm was also nice way for me to have money to buy stuff for my pets ;-; And you know. I felt like this time was useful. And now what? Game without (almost without) updates, without news about new version, without events (ok, we had christmas...) and now you you block thing that kept some people here?
Avatar made by deliciousbread for me
Faux Føx's AvatarFaux Føx
Not that I personally have a problem with this but I think one of the issues is for players that have paid and quit or are quitting. They want to get some of that money back which I think is valid but it does become an obvious issue on it's own (I'm not suggesting refunds or anything of that sort, cause well it don't work like that lol). I think it's perfectly valid but certainly sucky for some people though it could discourage some to not purchase any upgrades anymore or as frequently and such.
Picture credit goes to TANAKABOX, Strike Tanaka creator of both website and Servamp series, offical character art (photo sourced from TANAKABOX)
MochaFox's AvatarMochaFox

QUOTE originally posted by ShadowNova

I feel like this is my reason to quit. I really enjoy this game and friends here. Hatching pokemons is ultra satisfacting, but... Pokefarm was also nice way for me to have money to buy stuff for my pets ;-; And you know. I felt like this time was useful. And now what? Game without (almost without) updates, without news about new version, without events (ok, we had christmas...) and now you you block thing that kept some people here?
Pokefarm was never intended to be a source of money for people. We are a website game where our focus is clicking eggs and hatching pretty mons. Making money on the side is understandable, but using Pokefarm as your main source of income seems kind of... silly?
ShadowNova's AvatarShadowNova
Don't put worlds I never said into my mouth please. It was kinda rude. [Mod edit: accidentally edited post instead of quoting to reply.]
sojubean's Avatarsojubean

QUOTE originally posted by MochaFox

QUOTE originally posted by ShadowNova

Pokefarm was never intended to be a source of money for people. We are a website game where our focus is clicking eggs and hatching pretty mons. Making money on the side is understandable, but using Pokefarm as your main source of income seems kind of... silly?
While this doesn't effect me, I think calling it silly is a bit.. underhanded personally as not everyone has the ability to go out and work a "real job" It was a source of income to melan hunt and sell for money to be used where there isnt much of a possibility outside that. Especially for people who cannot do other things like art for it. Though I do understand the response this will likely have as "well pokefarm is a pet site game, not a job" and I get that, but that isn't my point. This'll probably be my only two cents here though. Do what you need to do to protect the site and your own pockets (referring to the people at the head who actually gain money from running this site, not "you" specifically).
Pokemon Art Shop | Fusion Adopt Shop | Pkmn/Items shop Active Trade Forums | Nature Collector Directory | My Journal 🍑 Naive/Timid/Impish Collector 🍑 🐝 Bee Lover 🐝
Flawless Dark Gem

Flawless Dark Gem

Gem

(: 0)

A beautiful Dark Gem that shines radiantly.

Sells for 10,000

Lv. 100 — +18,082,541
Aspear BerryAspear Berry
Aspear Berry (SOUR)
Cheri BerryCheri Berry
Cheri Berry (SPICY)
Chesto BerryChesto Berry
Chesto Berry (DRY)
Pecha BerryPecha Berry
Pecha Berry (SWEET)
Rawst BerryRawst Berry
Rawst Berry (BITTER)
Grass
Happiness 27%
Naïve nature
Nightmare Shroud

Nightmare Shroud

Summon Item

A shroud that is weaved from the darkest of nightmares. It appears to absorb light into it. With it, it's possible to summon the Legendary Pokémon Darkrai.

View/use Summon Items

Unsellable

Lv. 100 — +8,744,963
Aspear BerryAspear Berry
Aspear Berry (SOUR)
Cheri BerryCheri Berry
Cheri Berry (SPICY)
Chesto BerryChesto Berry
Chesto Berry (DRY)
Pecha BerryPecha Berry
Pecha Berry (SWEET)
Rawst BerryRawst Berry
Rawst Berry (BITTER)
BugFairy
Happiness 27%
Naïve nature
Snow Jewel

Snow Jewel

Forme-Change Item

A delicate jewel that seems to be frozen.

Sells for 325

Lv. 100 — +7,439,552
Aspear BerryAspear Berry
Aspear Berry (SOUR)
Cheri BerryCheri Berry
Cheri Berry (SPICY)
Chesto BerryChesto Berry
Chesto Berry (DRY)
Pecha BerryPecha Berry
Pecha Berry (SWEET)
Rawst BerryRawst Berry
Rawst Berry (BITTER)
BugFairy
Happiness 27%
Naïve nature
Everstone

Everstone

Special Evolution Item

A peculiar stone that prevents a Pokémon from evolving when held.

Sells for 250

Lv. 100 — +7,608,020
Aspear BerryAspear Berry
Aspear Berry (SOUR)
Cheri BerryCheri Berry
Cheri Berry (SPICY)
Chesto BerryChesto Berry
Chesto Berry (DRY)
Pecha BerryPecha Berry
Pecha Berry (SWEET)
Rawst BerryRawst Berry
Rawst Berry (BITTER)
BugFairy
Happiness 27%
Timid nature
MuttonMaw's AvatarMuttonMaw
I'm perfectly fine with this, as I don't really pay for a game and expect to get money back. I would simply hope that more updates continue to roll out that increase QoL/improve the game/etc, as this was a major feature for many players. At the end of the day, it's a game, not a bank. It's truly unfortunate for those more affected by this change; I can understand where they're coming from. EDIT: This post was made by an adult with adult responsibilities.
Art Shop - Trade Shop - Art Raffle PMD Snoozing Tessa Flair by justanobody2275 Avatar by aminahhime Moon Sprite(s) made by me
Leafstar15's AvatarLeafstar15
So I asked a cpl if I could buy a cpl things from them next friday because that's when I get paid, is that still okay? Cause I don't have the money for the things I want to get right this second.

Pages: 123··· 333435

Cannot post: Please log in to post

© PokéFarm 2009-2024 (Full details)Contact | Rules | Privacy | Reviews 4.6★Get shortlink for this page