PFQ Banner

This is PokéFarm Q, a free online Pokémon collectables game.

Already a user? New to PFQ?

Spriter Applications - CLOSED

Forum Index > Core > Announcements > News Archive >

Pages: 1234567

Ok so I have a question. I want to apply, but I can’t do one of the trials and that one being Scratch spriting. I would just beat myself over about how it looks. Could I still apply?
I buy Fire feathers for as much as I sell them at my co-op shop. I post really random stuff in my journal, also check out my sprite shop. Profile picture is made by Kottorachi Sig by CottonEevee for HorrorGal13's use only * BG
Sei's AvatarSei

QUOTE originally posted by RiverBlossom

I just want to make sure I'm understanding what's needed in the application, because my brain is a little funky and I can't fully tell if I'm reading it correctly: Trial 1 requires three different sprites of the same ONE fusion concept. (eg, if you're merging Onyx and Gyarados, you want to see three different sprites depicting an Onyx-Gyarados fusion. This set of three would NOT include an evolution, like Steelix and Gyarados). Trial 2 requires one recolor of an existing pokemon sprite. Trial 3 requires 2 reposed sprites (doesn't have to be the same pokemon). Trial 4 is the ONLY trial that requires non-sprite art. It requires at minimum exactly 2 pieces of concept (eg non-sprite art) and 2 sprites, one per concept. Do I have all that right?
Trial 1: Pick three different Pokémon to make one unique sprite. Trial 2: As you described. Trial 3: As you described. Trial 4: 2 sprites: A basic stage and an evolution or a single stage make and female split (like meowstic) which will need icons made and concept art shown. You had it half right! I'll be sure to clarify these things when I'm able to.

QUOTE originally posted by ScarletWolf-tb

Silly question, but just clarifying- the art examples are like, pixel art sprites? Edit: Would it be possible to have an example of what a completed submission looks like? I'm a visual person, haha, so I just struggle with overthinking written instructions quite a lot. Thank you!
Yes this is expected to be pixel sprites barring the concept art required for trial 4. Even if you feel like your art is weaker, it's good to know where the Applicant stands in terms of their drawing skill.

QUOTE originally posted by FlärînãFåïry

For recolors, we don’t have to recreate an entire sprite, do we? We’re supposed to use a preexisting sprite to then recolor? And for fusions, the same thing? Or do you mean that we take reference from the currently existing sprites and create a fusion from scratch? Just wanted to clarify before I start! I was too afraid to ask questions last time.
No, recreating sprites for the recolor isn't required. The purpose of the Recolor(s) is to test the Applicant's ability to make a palette that is visually appealing. Any sort of palette is fine. Fusions have a 3 sprite minimum - either Canon or from our Fakemon. Light scratch work to fill in missing detail or enhance the fusion is allowed. Look at Orthrus, kyukori, and noismoem lines for examples.

QUOTE originally posted by HörrörGäl13

Ok so I have a question. I want to apply, but I can’t do one of the trials and that one being Scratch spriting. I would just beat myself over about how it looks. Could I still apply?
It might weaken your chances, but you're still welcome to apply! We do a lot of odd jobs on art staff, so if you feel like you're weaker with scratch work, bulk up your app with more recolor and fusions.
Ok, last post from me i swear, haha trial one, we're fusing three pokemon into one new one? What exactly is scratch spriting/scratch work? Is that like... rough lines? Similar to initial sketches in unfinished work Could you please clarify what you mean by non-sprite art? Would these just be sort of rough sketches? Like, planning out the sprite before putting in the work of the completed sprite? Thanks! I just want to make sure I fully understand what is required so that I don't miss anything or do something that isn't required.
Luxray Café ~~Commissions & Adopts~~

QUOTE originally posted by ScarletWolf-tb

Ok, last post from me i swear, haha trial one, we're fusing three pokemon into one new one? What exactly is scratch spriting/scratch work? Is that like... rough lines? Similar to initial sketches in unfinished work Could you please clarify what you mean by non-sprite art? Would these just be sort of rough sketches? Like, planning out the sprite before putting in the work of the completed sprite? Thanks! I just want to make sure I fully understand what is required so that I don't miss anything or do something that isn't required.
I think I can help with some of the things you asked ^^ Scratch spriting means making an entirely new sprite from nothing! It comes from the phrase "starting from scratch" it still means to make a completed sprite! Non-sprite is like, regular art. Drawings of the pokemon/fakemon. Possibly with various poses or colour themes, depending on your line of thought for the concept!
0 points Mouse's Midnight Market! S/A/M sales, boxboxes, gem swaps, summon sales & more Avatar art by me
Kaelwolfur's AvatarKaelwolfur
If, let's say, once upon a time, I was part of the sprite team on Pokefarm 1, would I still be allowed to apply? ^.^'

QUOTE originally posted by Mouse 13

I think I can help with some of the things you asked ^^ Scratch spriting means making an entirely new sprite from nothing! It comes from the phrase "starting from scratch" it still means to make a completed sprite! Non-sprite is like, regular art. Drawings of the pokemon/fakemon. Possibly with various poses or colour themes, depending on your line of thought for the concept!
Oh, thank you! This helps a lot! This clears a lot of my confusion, haha.
vampirecatboy's Avatarvampirecatboy
in trial four, you say icons are required. what do you mean by icons? are icons the smaller sprites of the pokémon, like those that can be seen in the display images like the image below, or is it something else entirely? also, does concept art need to be in colour, or can a palette be included with annotations explaining where the colours will go?

૮₍ ´ ꒳ `₎ა aloysius ?! he/vam+ ★☆ 21

adhdtistic canadian & #1 psyduck lover
rentry LinkLinkcredits

credits

Code @RAINB0W Forum Icon Pokémon the series Signature Pagedoll Pokémon the series
Shazi's AvatarShazi

QUOTE originally posted by vampirecatboy

in trial four, you say icons are required. what do you mean by icons? are icons the smaller sprites of the pokémon, like those that can be seen in the display images like the image below, or is it something else entirely? also, does concept art need to be in colour, or can a palette be included with annotations explaining where the colours will go?
Icons are the smaller images you find in game when you open up your party. We use them for PKMN codes, display codes and evolutionj displays so they're pretty important~
496 Ice Fangs
102 Gray Stones
Mass Click Association - My Shop - Guide to 90%+ Pairs
Signature by Cele, Avatar by Me
AsymDoll13's AvatarAsymDoll13
How large are the icons, btw? ^^ I'm tempted to apply, but I need that info first.
Type Race: 452 Profile pic by xaandiir from their artshop (click their name for the shop!) Here thar be Dragons
Shazi's AvatarShazi

QUOTE originally posted by AsymDoll13

How large are the icons, btw? ^^ I'm tempted to apply, but I need that info first.
we use a maximum of 32 x 32 pixels for icons. some of the canon ones are bigger but I'm working on that ;)

Pages: 1234567

Cannot post: Please log in to post

© PokéFarm 2009-2024 (Full details)Contact | Rules | Privacy | Reviews 4.6★Get shortlink for this page