PFQ Banner

This is PokéFarm Q, a free online Pokémon collectables game.

Already a user? New to PFQ?

Account Breach incident

Forum Index > Core > Announcements > News Archive >

Pages: 123··· 18192021222324

Ah, that was me, not Niet - see the "last edited by" :p Thank you for pointing that out, though - my mistake!
Beldarius's AvatarBeldarius

QUOTE originally posted by Katastrophy

That was bound to happen, as soon as the culprits name was revealed there was bound to be a mob...
You can't really expect anything else since this person is just a common criminal. You don't treat thieves with silk gloves in real life, so why would online be any different? Tbh, they stole real money from real people so I really wish they could be tried for theft in an actual court. That's all they really deserve, along with a mark on their criminal record. Probably not happening, but... wishful thinking. Here's to hoping the victims get recompensated.
lurk lurkedy lurk kaboom Character in avatar belongs to me Art commissioned from Chibimouto-chan

Pokémon Orphanage

Name: Yama-chan Adopt one yourself! @Pokémon Orphanage
Dystøpianist's AvatarDystøpianist

QUOTE originally posted by Beldarius

QUOTE originally posted by Katastrophy

That was bound to happen, as soon as the culprits name was revealed there was bound to be a mob...
You can't really expect anything else since this person is just a common criminal. You don't treat thieves with silk gloves in real life, so why would online be any different? Tbh, they stole real money from real people so I really wish they could be tried for theft in an actual court. That's all they really deserve, along with a mark on their criminal record. Probably not happening, but... wishful thinking. Here's to hoping the victims get recompensated.
Technically they didn’t steal any real money. The law is forever behind technology, and that extends to this as well. They stole virtual goods, basically numbers and pixels on a screen, something not really prosecutable (you can try to sue, but it’s sort of a grey area in the law). Every time they received money the person who paid the money received their compensation, even if it was stolen. This sucks, I know, try writing to your local public official about this. Edit: Relevant article on this topic, for those interested. The Netherlands and Japan have punished people for virtual crime before, so at least they’re ahead of the curve.
I have a complete set of Arceus plates! You can borrow them for 10k credits/10 gp/2 Zophan a plate! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1g8ybtF5fck
kattscribbles's Avatarkattscribbles

QUOTE originally posted by Niet

They would then siphon valuables from those inactive accounts, and then sell them to other players for USD. The thief has successfully profited in an amount exceeding £1,250, although it's impossible to determine the exact value as they sold the items to other players for money on PayPal.
From what I understand they sold items to people and charged actual money via Paypal, as Niet stated above. The true amount of what they gained isn't really known, as it's probably hard to calculate how much they've gained from selling stolen goods. Even so, it is still a game and such can't really be disputed as theft, at least not to my knowledge. EDIT: While they did steal virtual goods, some of these goods were sold for real money which tecnhcailly does count as theft in a sense. I'm not really into/well versed with the legal area so I might be missing stuff here and there, but from what I understand it still does count as theft.
Dragon VTuber of Chaos & Calamity Screaming, Boba Tea & Chaos 24/7 Signature by Myself, Art by penpupen
Kiwani's AvatarKiwani

Multiple Quote

QUOTE originally posted by CatEnergetic

They would then siphon valuables from those inactive accounts, and then sell them to other players for USD. The thief has successfully profited in an amount exceeding £1,250, although it's impossible to determine the exact value as they sold the items to other players for money on PayPal.
From what I understand they sold items to people and charged actual money via Paypal, as Niet stated above. The true amount of what they gained isn't really known, as it's probably hard to calculate how much they've gained from selling stolen goods. Even so, it is still a game and such can't really be disputed as theft, at least not to my knowledge. EDIT: While they did steal virtual goods, some of these goods were sold for real money which tecnhcailly does count as theft.
CatEnergetic, you have to take into consideration of laws from different countries. Pokefarm has people from all over, not just one country. You would have to go and research extensively of laws of where that person is from, and what your own country laws when it comes to theft of digital goods. Don't take my word for it, but I believe it would be more hassle and potienally money to go after someone from a different country legally. Again, that's just my opinion about it.
*11/300 Fujin's Lamp All avatar credit of Nathaniel the Natu goes to Sina142's joint art shop.
kattscribbles's Avatarkattscribbles

QUOTE originally posted by Kiwani

Multiple Quote

QUOTE originally posted by CatEnergetic

From what I understand they sold items to people and charged actual money via Paypal, as Niet stated above. The true amount of what they gained isn't really known, as it's probably hard to calculate how much they've gained from selling stolen goods. Even so, it is still a game and such can't really be disputed as theft, at least not to my knowledge. EDIT: While they did steal virtual goods, some of these goods were sold for real money which tecnhcailly does count as theft.
CatEnergetic, you have to take into consideration of laws from different countries. Pokefarm has people from all over, not just one country. You would have to go and research extensively of laws of where that person is from, and what your own country laws when it comes to theft of digital goods. Don't take my word for it, but I believe it would be more hassle and potienally money to go after someone from a different country legally. Again, that's just my opinion about it.
Ahh I totally forgot about other countries, thank you for reminding me! I agree, it would be a huge hassle trying to figure out each transaction and the laws of other countries. Especially with the amount of money that was involved, it'd be a lot of legal work which means a lot of fees to pay laywers, etc, aka big yikes.
Thats just awful I feel realy bad for the people who lost stuff and I hope they get what the lost returned to them. Stealing is unacceptable and dishonest in every way. I may be new to the site but I know this fact. If you steal you are being dishonest and should be ashamed of stealing. Thankfuly I have never bought ZC so I am okay. It just makes me glad not to have any ZC for the time being.
^_^
My Avatar was drawn by me there is no link cause it is hand drawn on paper and took a photo of it and shrunk it to the covered dimensions.
QueenCocoa's AvatarQueenCocoa
I was thinking about going and spamming the user for what they did but now theres kinds no point
Hello :> Link to my Summon shop!Feel free to visit ^-^ Super cute Avatar made by Dutchess Lunaire.

Badges!

Amanome's AvatarAmanome

QUOTE originally posted by QueenCocoa

I was thinking about going and spamming the user for what they did but now theres kinds no point
This is not okay in the slightest and will result in site consequences should it be done. Garthic has already given a warning to not spam this user because of their actions.
♡ ♡ ♡ ♡ Buying for zc - 60zc ZC UFT: 2 Free Toyhou.se Codes PM me! ♡ ♡ ♡ ♡
code: izu.ku| bkgd
Parafox's AvatarParafox
It's really sad to see that staff usually not makeing the name of users public who caused some sort of problem on the site does have a really good reason after all...
My username used to be Fuchsfee. Just call me Fox.
All images used for avatar and signature are recolors by me. Typerace icon made by myself. Only official game sprites used.

Pages: 123··· 18192021222324

Cannot post: Please log in to post

© PokéFarm 2009-2024 (Full details)Contact | Rules | Privacy | Reviews 4.6★Get shortlink for this page