PFQ Banner

This is PokéFarm Q, a free online Pokémon collectables game.

Already a user? New to PFQ?

Implementing A 'Block' Feature

Forum Index > Core > Suggestions > Under Consideration >

Pages: 1234567··· 858687

Mandibuzzard's AvatarMandibuzzard
I am absolutely lost. What on earth was uncovered on this site that implementing a block feature got you in contact with interpol??? Anyway most people on other sites generally report before they block? And forcing a reason to block as repeatedly suggested works if that doesnt. I'm still at a loss this site took til now to work on a basic feature.
Niet [Adam]'s AvatarNiet [Adam]
With all the discussion that's happened with regard to how a "block" feature would affect various core gameplay elements, I'm utterly astounded that you could still think this is a "basic" feature...
Clip from Pokémon anime, re-lined by me
-- OMNOMNOM!
Featured story: Injustice Feedback welcome!
feyral's Avatarfeyral
I think they meant basic as in “everywhere has one”. Not as in easy to make. Essential might be the better word...? But I’m not Mandibuzzard and I can’t say for sure what they meant Just my take! :3
Is...is that a serious response? Every other site past the 1990s I've been on has a block feature. Including various children's games. NEOPETS has a block feature and their back end coding is as clean as a junkyard after a trash fire. Hard to implement, sure. Basic? Very much so. I cant believe this site apparently has worse back end coding than Neopets that coders would not touch for 21 years... Also @cute yes, I meant essential. It's legit a major core of web design unless my expensive college class mislead me lol I played PF1, this site was recoded once already was it not? Like I'm sorry if this is coming off as rude but I'm equally astounded that this wasnt addressed then.
Okay, so now that we've established that you did indeed mean "basic", please provide answers to all of the following: - If a user has interacted with you before you blocked them, and then you block them, how should this affect the Clickback list of both the blocking user and the blocked user? - If a user has blocked another user, but then finds an Egg from the Shelter bred by the blocked user, should they be able to see it? Adopt it? What about its timeline? - If a user blocks another user, it is fairly trivial to prevent most interactions just by blocking access to the Profile and Summary pages. However, it would not be feasible to block forum posts (as doing so can lead to crucial loss of context in a thread). This means the [pkmnpanel] cannot be blocked, and so interactions would be possible through there. How would you resolve this, bearing in mind that Interactions are already the most server-stressful feature of the site and adding more checks onto them is a Bad Idea™? - Should a blocked user be able to buy items from the Marketboard put up for sale by the user who blocked them? Or vice versa? - Should Wonder Trades be able to randomly pair you up with a user you have blocked? If not, additional checks will need to be added that could potentially result in Wonder Trades remaining unmatched, or worse it keeps trying to match you with the blocked user and never resolves. Since Wonder Trades can't be cancelled either, there's no way out of such a loop. - Some users may want blocking to result in the blocked user effectively "disappearing" from their gameplay experience. How would you reconcile this with the fact that Tournaments have a leaderboard with a limited number of places? - Same question for Pokérus. How would you handle someone wanting to hunt for Pokérus, only to find that a person they blocked currently has it? Remember they can't interact with them if they've blocked them. I could go on, but these are the questions that must be answered before a block feature can be added to this multiplayer game.
I just do not understand how this isnt a basic feature, a block was covered in my single html course as one of the 'basic (word used)' features you establish before you go live with account based sites. You recoded the site, I dont understand why this wasnt addressed long before now? -removes any interaction from clickback, point of a block is to not interact with the person at all. -if they dont want to interact with said user at all, why would their eggs show up for them? -legit look at any other website with forums and how they handle blocking -All of this is basically "should you be able to interact with the blocked person" and no. That is the point of a block. Unless I've been using it wrong all this time. -Pokerus? Sucks to suck but if I block someone, NO. I just lose out on that shot. -(missed the wondertrade bullet) block goes into effect asap once it's done. Cannot trade with that user again as an option. There are some great suggestions here about soft and hard blocking that legit go through solutions from other websites that answer most of yours as well. I'd consider rereading those.
Your answers represent the ideal, which is nice. But some of them just are not practical. It is not practical to interrupt the Shelter loading process just on the off-chance that one of the Eggs might have at some point passed through the hands of someone you've blocked. It is not practical to override the Wonder Trade matching process as this could quite easily lead to an unresolvable infinite loop. I absolutely understand the desire for this feature. But the implementation of such a feature would need to strike a balance between the ideal and the practical - and honestly, "no block feature" is better than "a half-baked block feature that can be worked around by a particularly malicious user". At least for now.
Nightmøn's AvatarNightmøn
For the eggs and wondertrade, I'll said it would be fair if its up to us to check the timeline. If we don't want any pokémons with the blocked username in their timeline, we just have to release it.
My first language is french! So sorry in advance for misunderstanding xD Profile picture made by myself! Gacha for DCP!
feyral's Avatarfeyral
If a block feature is put into place and someone purposefully circumvents that feature they should be punished. I have to imagine circumventing a sites security feature would be punishable in the instance you have mentioned. In my opinion, going along with the system I have proposed... a Pokémon’s timeline wouldn’t be subject to moderation. IF someone is hardblocked the username just becomes asterisks or is changed to ‘Blocked User’. This would not affect the shelter. I can’t say much about wondertrade because I simply don’t use it. But if someone is blocked and you can’t interact with them, ideally it would remove them from your pool of possible wondertrade matches..? * apologies for any typos, I am on my iPad now and my keyboard is wonky. Please let me know if I can elaborate further on anything I have mentioned previously, or if there are any outstanding issues you can see with my previous suggestion on page 4 of this thread. I’d love to troubleshoot my intensive block list idea, Niet. Edit: I will have to respond to the feedback tomorrow, as something has come up and I will not be able to spend more time on this tonight. Looking forward to troubleshooting :3
Hiding the username is a potential idea, yes. Although I still have some concerns about that. Let's say you "hard-block" an abusive ex. They're the only person you've blocked. You then adopt an Egg and it says "Bred by (blocked user)". Hmm, I wonder who that could be? So it's a good solution, but still far from ideal.

Pages: 1234567··· 858687

Cannot post: Please log in to post

© PokéFarm 2009-2024 (Full details)Contact | Rules | Privacy | Reviews 4.6★Get shortlink for this page