PFQ Banner

This is PokéFarm Q, a free online Pokémon collectables game.

Already a user? New to PFQ?

Disallowing "Grab Bags"

Forum Index > Core > Suggestions > Completed >

Pages: 12345678

Gumshoe's AvatarGumshoe

QUOTE originally posted by Mouse 13

list of prizes: 1 shiny moltres 50 shiny magikarp (just examples bare with me) the owner hands out a magikarp to all the buyers and puts the moltres in a hidden field everyone who got a karp assumes someone else got the moltres. ta-da, scam. and a very hard one to pick up on if there had to be a list of what everyone got.. then it would be different. but again, not everyone would look at the lists on every single grab bag, and scamming people would still be fairly easy by "disappearing" the top prizes and putting a random username on the list saying they got the prize. who would bother to check when there's 40+ people on the list? it's just too easily abusable that's not even getting started on items...
How is any of what you're saying not applicable to raffles? Does everyone in a raffle check every username on the list just to make sure everyone who posted matches up? (And assuming no one is going to check who got the single shiny Moltres in a field of shiny magikarps is real silly, a scammer'd be 10000 times more likely to get away with keeping a good number of karps for themselves with that method BUT I know it was just hyperbole so :P ) In fact, it'd probably be a lot harder to do that with grab bags than with raffles if there's only one/few grand prizes, and raffles list the winners all at once while the grab bags come in one at a time! (Or at the very least, a handful at a time, considering how popular it is) The announcement of the winner of the grand prize would be very hard to miss, and hard to pass off as a fake username! Granted, I'm not saying it'd be impossible, I'm just saying this is technically already something that could be happening in raffles already, so pinning the blame on grab bags is siilly.
"Who knows? That guy...always keeps you waiting."
Chicken ★ 27 ★ they/them journal shop art shop
credit
★ pfp from Dungeon Meshi ★ sig img from Metal Gear Solid 2 ★ sig code by me
Rokon's AvatarRokon
Support. Grab bags are scams half the time, and as mentioned by other people, a form of gambling. There have been many reported cases of people getting gambling addictions from things like these, and loot boxes (a similar thing to grab bags) are outright considered gambling in some countries. And let's not forget that these soft gambling forms are targeted specifically at children. Aka the target audience of this site. https://www.google.com/amp/mashable.com/2017/12/01/19-gaming-gambling-addict.amp https://theintercept.com/2017/12/08/video-games-loot-boxes-gambling-gaming-star-wars-battlefront-2/ https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/games/2017/nov/24/gambling-regulators-to-investigate-loot-boxes-in-video-games I will admit that loot boxes are legal under UK law. But ignoring their danger and allowing them anyway is a bad move.
cee - he/she/they - 21 icon from Rachel and Jun youtube sig sprite by me stoked sparksurfer! everything i post is to be read in the flattest voice possible
MariNee's AvatarMariNee
The thing is, you're paying for grab bags, but you don't have to pay to enter in a raffle.
Rokon's AvatarRokon

QUOTE originally posted by MariNee

The thing is, you're paying for grab bags, but you don't have to pay to enter in a raffle.
And if you do, such as the owner enforcing a prize pool, there are rules to ensure everyone gets something in turn.
Morzone's AvatarMorzone

QUOTE originally posted by Rokon

QUOTE originally posted by MariNee

And if you do, such as the owner enforcing a prize pool, there are rules to ensure everyone gets something in turn.
So you just have to make similar rules for grab bags.... I mean, prize pools are essentially one giant grab bag. You have to give something, and you don't know what you;re going to get until you get it, and the only guarantee of the worth of what you could get is the fact that the prize pool has to always be visible. So if the prize pool for grab bags was always visible, wouldn't that create the same effect? (I mean the individual items, not categories)
Avatar was created for me, the sprite in the avatar was made by WriterRaven
Score: 0
in that case. if rules were enforced to assure grab bag fairness, then it's a raffle. and should be in the raffles forum. if it's for profit of the seller, then there's no way it can be fair for everyone
0 points Mouse's Midnight Market! S/A/M sales, boxboxes, gem swaps, summon sales & more Avatar art by me
Rokon's AvatarRokon
Took the words out of my mouth, Mouse. There is no way to make grab bags assured fair and equal. And if the owner is reeling a profit, it's not a contest. It's trading. You can't apply the same rules. Prize pools are literally everyone putting in something, and getting something back. Like a less specific secret santa. There is no one making a particular profit here.
Morzone's AvatarMorzone
Make it equal? no. That's kind of the point, that there are different option. But you can make it fair. As long as the buyer knows exactly what their getting into when they buy a grab bag, then the only discrepancy is if what's offered is worth the price, at which point a person can simply not buy the grab bag if they don't like the price. Just like in a trade shop.
ÅkØØmÎ's AvatarÅkØØmÎ
Support this. Too much grab-bags and this looks not fair. Big part of these threads are not clear
Gumshoe's AvatarGumshoe

really long post :P

Still no answer on why PFQ Boxes aren't considered gambling? :V (Re: If grab bags are gambling, how aren't boxes gambling?/Comparing gambling of grab bags to gambling of AAA lootboxes) Is it because you can get them for 'free' by spending time to earn them without currency? Does it stop being gambling if purchasing them for currency or real life money is only optional and for people who don't want to wait hours to get them? (As seen in lootboxes for BF2/OW?) Is it because we've used them so much we more or less already know what chances there are of getting something rare or bad? Does knowing the chances stop making it gambling? (Like how we knew the chances for OW's boxes?) Is it only gambling when the chances are unknown or if the chances are unfavorable? And on a related note, is it not gambling because it's an official site's RNG and we can trust it because of that, unlike grab bags? (Like how every loot box is also determined by official RNG) Is it because you don't /have/ to gamble but sell it to someone who'll take that risk? Does someone purchasing something from you for the chance to get more than what they paid for it not make it gambling because /you/ didn't have to gamble? Is it because you can only obtain some items through the boxes themselves, items you can't purchase directly from the site? (Summons/Mega Stones) Is it because you can pay real life money to directly purchase boxes? Oh, wait...Those are some of the worst hated aspects of lootboxes.... I'll make this clear, I don't think PFQ's boxes should be gone, or that they're bad even. I'm just trying to get people to think about what the real issue is here, and what is reasonably acceptable/unacceptable and why. (Hint: It is not because something that could be labeled 'gambling' under such broad terms is something wrong. It is wrong when (at least IMO) A. There is deliberate misinformation/lack of information and/or B. It is on a large enough scale and affecting/meaning so much to so many people that it becomes a problem. It's real, reaaal silly to compare giant AAA games with their audience size to the audience size of PFQ. I don't think PFQ boxes are harmful because they simply aren't worth as much to nearly as many people than do expensive prizes in immensely popular AAA games. That's when people can really lose so much money, when the cost of the prizes climbs up to hundreds of thousands of dollars, and there are so many people that also recognize that worth, and there are so many potential people to be allured to that and try their hand to win it. I'm not saying it's impossible on PFQ, but highly unlikely. There may be small cases of people spending much more money on here than they should, but not nearly enough to warrant the cause for alarm that games like BF2/CS:GO/OW/etc are producing. And to compare AAA lootboxes to PFQ user grab bags is just.....ludicrous. No one's gunna go bankrupt because of a grab bag, even if they clear out every single seller's entire stock of prizes. PFQ stuff just isnt worth that much money. (If they're reckless they //could// lose a good amount of money if they really tried, but again, how is that different than spending that money on boxes?) But, I digress. Way too much.)
TLDR: Gambling with the definition of "Buying a randomized prize in the hopes of getting more than what you paid for" =/= inherently bad Lack of enforcement of fairness/truthfulness/publicity of contents in randomized prizes = potentially harmful/(and the real important word here folks) exploitable (Though, again, this is my opinion. :P After thinking it through. A lot. And giving supporting evidence and reasons on why I think so.) Again, my stance is I would prefer to see grab bags regulated with rules re: raffles, but if that were too much work I would rather them gone than continue being potentially/easily exploitable with no rules against it.

Pages: 12345678

Cannot post: Please log in to post

© PokéFarm 2009-2024 (Full details)Contact | Rules | Privacy | Reviews 4.6★Get shortlink for this page