PFQ Banner

This is PokéFarm Q, a free online Pokémon collectables game.

Already a user? New to PFQ?

Regarding Art Theft

Forum Index > Core > Announcements > News Archive >

Pages: 123··· 56789··· 111213

Constantine's AvatarConstantine
Just shedding a little light on everything, What I’ve done is a simple post in my journal of all links, sources and the likes of images I will use in the future. Of course these are images I will be posting repeatedly! So these are easily sourced. Now for those who are threating about having to post the information again and again; just slap a link in your signature with the title ‘Art information and sourcing’ at least then staff and moderators will know where to look and it certainly saves you time. When it comes to finding rare sources I understand your pain. One image I’m quite fond of was from an old Castlevania art book! It took me around an hour of translating the Japanese signature to cross referencing the artist and then seeing who the art belonged to. As its official concept art I cited Konami, but because the artist deserves recognition and acknowledgement I also cited her. Honestly all I can say is ask yourself this; Do you really like that image? Do you really want to use it? Is it worth your time? If your answer is yes then do your homework and cite it! If you like the image and its at such a good quality that you want to use it; then give the artist credit so others can find the artist themselves and appreciate what they’ve added to the world. If the answer is no, then don’t bother using it, if it’s not worth your time then why use it? If it’s an RP character than actually describe them; you’ll find that most folk can visualise your character to the T when you go into an in-depth description. There's clans out there who actually help with this! I'm the leader of two of them! Let us help you! Yeah it's a pain, yeah i'd rather not do this, but I'm not getting smacked with a hammer and I do know the law xD. @Smooth Criminal I'd just have him send you a message through PF for which you can screenshot; short and simple.
♔ Fae King Give me equality.
Eltafez's AvatarEltafez
Smooth Criminal - Actually, the copyright is still within the artist's hands. However, you license it by buying (and therefor owning) it. As such, it's still best to credit the artist. After all, you didn't create it. Put simply: the copyright of an image is yours only if you made it yourself. Without the copyright, you have to credit the artist where possible. Edit: That is, unless the artist agrees to transfer all rights of the image to the buyer. From then on, you don't have to credit them - but it's still a nice courtesy if you do.
Avatar by me for my personal use only.

Links

Helpful: PFQ Rules | Staff Roster | Help Forums | PFQ Wiki Fan-made Tools: Calculator Personal: Journal
Template © Eltafez
OceanBound's AvatarOceanBound
Ah, okay! Thank you for the clarification. I'll have to ask them about that--but, I'm 100% sure they did in fact transfer the rights to me. However, I'll double check before doing anything with what I have. And, I figured. I'll get him to PM me it, so just in case he draws anything for me and I use it as a template--I'll have the proof of permission.
Constantine's AvatarConstantine

QUOTE originally posted by Eltafez

Smooth Criminal - Actually, the copyright is still within the artist's hands. However, you license it by buying (and therefor owning) it. As such, it's still best to credit the artist. After all, you didn't create it. Put simply: the copyright of an image is yours only if you made it yourself. Without the copyright, you have to credit the artist where possible. Edit: That is, unless the artist agrees to transfer all rights of the image to the buyer. From then on, it's not needed to credit them - but it's still a nice courtesy if you do.
I actually have some confusion with this. Usually with commissioned art; from what I've seen anyway is of original characters and OC's belong to the creator. I'm the lame type of person who considers writing and literature to be considered 'Art' and that stealing them is just as bad as stealing an image. If you've paid for an image of your OC I believe that it belongs entirely to you; I can't see an artist going 'well; I drew it; that image belongs to me now' which is in itself infringing on the commissioner's rights. I'd name the artist of course; if they want to be named; but i'd be miffed if art I paid for or had commissioned of an OC that officially belongs to me had to have someones elses names all over it. It's a joint creation! So; erm... I guess in cases like this you'd put; [Art by: [insert name] ] [Character Copyright: [Insert name]]
OceanBound's AvatarOceanBound
Well, generally I always credit art, 'cause I feel bad if I don't. (Even if they say they don't want credit. I still feel bad.) But, I have to agree with Constantine. An artist may have drawn something, however... If it's a commissioned piece of an OC, then... It's technically your's. However, I would still credit anyone who drew an OC. But... Wouldn't the rights still be yours technically?
LYagami777's AvatarLYagami777
I'm just wondering, if the owner of the art does not respond to messages sent referring to permission to use their art, how will you contact them to confirm suspicion of copyright infringement?
Nagito's AvatarNagito

QUOTE originally posted by LYagami777

I'm just wondering, if the owner of the art does not respond to messages sent referring to permission to use their art, how will you contact them to confirm suspicion of copyright infringement?
Is this referring to someone else's usage of an image that you're suspicious of the use of, or an image that you want to use? If it's one that you want to use and they don't respond, well, that's tough luck.

QUOTE originally posted by Sei

If you did not make something in your signature or avatar and you cannot get permission to use it from the original creator, remove it. I'm aware that some artists are inactive, but them's the breaks, as they say. You'll just have to consider yourself out of luck on using that particular image.
My Links Journal | Mature Journal | Fairy-type Clan Casper | 22 | agender | they/them | INFJ Previously had the PFQ username kittens Avatar art by Ravoilie || Signature art by Turtlo
Blank Banshee's AvatarBlank Banshee

If we fail to receive word one way or another, you will be asked to remove the piece. If you fail to comply, you will be removed while the piece is removed from wherever it was being used.
Eltafez's AvatarEltafez

QUOTE originally posted by Constantine

QUOTE originally posted by Eltafez

Smooth Criminal - Actually, the copyright is still within the artist's hands. However, you license it by buying (and therefor owning) it. As such, it's still best to credit the artist. After all, you didn't create it. Put simply: the copyright of an image is yours only if you made it yourself. Without the copyright, you have to credit the artist where possible. Edit: That is, unless the artist agrees to transfer all rights of the image to the buyer. From then on, it's not needed to credit them - but it's still a nice courtesy if you do.
I actually have some confusion with this. Usually with commissioned art; from what I've seen anyway is of original characters and OC's belong to the creator. I'm the lame type of person who considers writing and literature to be considered 'Art' and that stealing them is just as bad as stealing an image. If you've paid for an image of your OC I believe that it belongs entirely to you; I can't see an artist going 'well; I drew it; that image belongs to me now' which is in itself infringing on the commissioner's rights. I'd name the artist of course; if they want to be named; but i'd be miffed if art I paid for or had commissioned of an OC that officially belongs to me had to have someones elses names all over it. It's a joint creation! So; erm... I guess in cases like this you'd put; [Art by: [insert name] ] [Character Copyright: [Insert name]]
...I failed horribly at phrasing that, didn't I? xD Yes, you're right about the OC's and their images. Bought art is... mreh, a general concept. You've got commissions, prints, premade art, etc. Since you had already explained the thing about commissions, I was approaching from the other side. ^^;
Kiwani's AvatarKiwani

QUOTE originally posted by Ravyne

If we fail to receive word one way or another, you will be asked to remove the piece. If you fail to comply, you will be removed while the piece is removed from wherever it was being used.
I know that I will have problems removing the picture, since I somehow can't click to edit my post since I am on my phone and can't get to a computer.
*11/300 Fujin's Lamp All avatar credit of Nathaniel the Natu goes to Sina142's joint art shop.

Pages: 123··· 56789··· 111213

Cannot post: Please log in to post

© PokéFarm 2009-2024 (Full details)Contact | Rules | Privacy | Reviews 4.6★Get shortlink for this page