PFQ Banner

This is PokéFarm Q, a free online Pokémon collectables game.

Already a user? New to PFQ?

Regarding Art Theft

Forum Index > Core > Announcements > News Archive >

Pages: 123··· 8910111213

OceanBound's AvatarOceanBound

QUOTE originally posted by BlackLouie

Is this okay? A friend on deviantart made it for me:3 It's a picture of my fan character on the bottom of my post:3

Linking Credit.

[url=LINK HERE]Credit here[/url].[/url]
^ That is how to properly use a link. The url= part should have a link to proof of permission. Even if it is a friend. I have permission provided that my own boyfriend is allowing me to use his art if I decide to. So. When crediting, don't just say "a friend drew this." If they have a deviantart account, tell them to send proof that you're allowed to use said art. (Or, screenshot if they say in a description "so-and-so is allowed to use this.") Best to have permission shown than to just say "yeah, they're letting me." Because, the Staff can't simply just go by your word. (Since a lot of people steal and lie about permission.)
tarotBanshee's AvatartarotBanshee
Okay, first thing is making sure that my avatar is alright. It's from a doll maker site, and I made sure to move the signature when I cropped the picture. Is leaving the signature enough or would I still have to link to the specific maker in my signature? Wouldn't be a problem, I'm just wondering. Also, I've tested the google image search many times to no avail with lesser known works of art (as I used to save my pictures with certain names so i could find exactly what I was looking for, but of course I needed to credit them when I used a group for a collage) and just tried tineye. With tineye I first used a picture of mine that is only posted on deviantart, it found it much to my satisfaction..but then tried a few more of my pictures that I've posted and found nothing, and also put in a picture of Adventure Time fanart but I was given 5 links that didn't have the image on the pages at all, and were also just 5 different "goanimate" users. My problem isn't with not being able to use this picture now, as I had no intention to, but with these only sometimes being helpful.
Nagito's AvatarNagito
@tarotBanshee: Yes, unfortunately you won't always have luck finding the source through those methods. Like Ravyne said though, if you can't find the image through there or a manual search, just don't use the image. I've actually had the opposite problem from you: I find it much easier to find images through google while Tineye doesn't always work as well as I'd like it to. For example, if I look up your avatar on Tineye, I get no results. But on google I can find it linked to your PFQ account. I guess it'll depend on the image you're searching for, too. Edit: I have another question since users have 2 weeks to remove any offending artwork. If I see a user breaking this rule (I've seen several in the RP section especially) is it alright for me to PM them with a link directing them to this post or should that be left with you to deal with? Or should I report the offending posts? If so should the report be submitted from a user page, or some other way, if reporting multiple offenses? I don't want it to seem like I'm trying to step on anyone's toes. ^^;
My Links Journal | Mature Journal | Fairy-type Clan Casper | 22 | agender | they/them | INFJ Previously had the PFQ username kittens Avatar art by Ravoilie || Signature art by Turtlo
Amitia's AvatarAmitia
I do not usually make posts to announcements, but this time I would like to voice my opinion. I hope you do not find it offensive; this is not meant as an attack, but as a comment of personal opinion. Internet is full of pictures and full of people who use pictures. People are using headshots of their favorite movie or anime character as their avatar everywhere. They share pictures they like with their friends, perhaps post it somewhere to show how much they like it. By using some image they like in a forum avatar or signature they do not get money off of it. They do not get social benefits of it. And generally they do not even claim that the art is made by them. They are just trying to show what they like, in strictly non-commercial use. Most of tumblr profiles are simply people's collections of pictures they like. And that is how internet works. Governments try to regulate it, organizations try to use it to their benefits. But in the end, people do what they want online. They want to show what they like and share it with their peers. Requiring the source of every single image they use in their avatars, signatures and profile pages is, in my opinion, unrealistic and restrictive. Finding the original source of some anime character headshot is like looking for a needle in a haystack... Do not get me wrong. I appreciate rules, and I appreciate proper credits of artwork. But when people use "common" pictures non-commercially on some forum website, I do not see the point of adding sources to everything. If that is how the rules go, I think I will just refrain from using any pictures at all and probably eventually stop using the website. Also, if users have to do this, it should extend to the pictures throughout the site. Where is the source of the background picture? Or who made NPC Holly's picture and where did they say that it can be used? And considering the makers of PokéFarm did not make the Pokémon sprites that are used on the website, it would then make sense if every single Pokémon sprite on the site would show the source of it and the permission to use it on this site; especially since users make purchases on the site, which excludes this from the non-commercial category. Just wanted to give some feedback on the matter. Again, do not take it offensively. This is just my personal insight.
Niet [Adam]'s AvatarNiet [Adam]

QUOTE originally posted by Amitia

Also, if users have to do this, it should extend to the pictures throughout the site. Where is the source of the background picture? Or who made NPC Holly's picture and where did they say that it can be used? And considering the makers of PokéFarm did not make the Pokémon sprites that are used on the website, it would then make sense if every single Pokémon sprite on the site would show the source of it and the permission to use it on this site; especially since users make purchases on the site, which excludes this from the non-commercial category.
Someone didn't read the copyright information that pops up when you click the link at the bottom of any page. That said, it does need updating, but it is there! ;)
Clip from Pokémon anime, re-lined by me
-- OMNOMNOM!
Featured story: Injustice Feedback welcome!
Nataku's AvatarNataku
EDIT: Might be handy to make no avatar an option? I can't change it unless I add another link. Real difficult that. EDIT EDIT: I had a cute mew picture before with a signature that I couldn't make out so I specifically put below it that the mew isn't mine and all credit belongs to the owner whose signature was in the image. I removed it now, but I'm wondering if adding a disclaimer as I did and referring to the signature clearly on the image would still make it theft since I clearly state I do not own it and it belongs to whoever made it. PS: Does my avatar need my name in it? I'm confused on that. It's my artwork that I used from my own deviant account. You can view the full picture in my box next to my pokemon along with my deviant art name and as said I added in the description on my deviant art account that I'm using it here and my name here is Nataku. You know to prove it's my account before people start arguing it's not. I've had that happen on gaiaonline before. Rather annoying. Do not want to spend another 8 days arguing over my own account ^^;
When life gives you lemons;kindly accept its misguided charity and incorporate them into your scheme for world domination~ Anonymous My avatar is mine. From the image 'yes milord'. Proof:MY Deviantart account!
Uzumi's AvatarUzumi

Most of tumblr profiles are simply people's collections of pictures they like.
Tumblr is actually a really bad example. A lot of artists on Pixiv states that they do not want their art being reposted on Tumblr. Guess who don't care about this? People who use their Tumblr profiles as a collection of pictures they like. Guess who don't know that the artist don't want their art reposted on Tumblr? People who reblog the posts from these people. Artists on Pixiv delete their art because they're sick of random people using it without asking or sourcing them. Artists delete their own art because people keep stealing it. The people who made this pretty picture you like can be the same people who deleted this picture because nobody respects them as the person who actually drew it.

Finding the original source of some anime character headshot is like looking for a needle in a haystack...
Let's make a test: What does take more time/money? Finding the source of a picture or learning to actually draw such a picture and then drawing it just so that people use it how they please without even mentioning you. Also guess why it is so hard to find the original source? Because nobody sources it. Artists spend time and money to draw the things we like. Artists are humans so treat them like you would treat humans and don't take away something they own. Posting something without asking if you're allowed to and not even sourcing them is stealing even if you don't use it for your own benefit. Artists are human beings not just machines to make art how is this a difficult concept.
Blank Banshee's AvatarBlank Banshee

Do not get me wrong. I appreciate rules, and I appreciate proper credits of artwork. But when people use "common" pictures non-commercially on some forum website, I do not see the point of adding sources to everything. If that is how the rules go, I think I will just refrain from using any pictures at all and probably eventually stop using the website.
If you have so little respect for people and the work they do that you advocate outright stealing their work, I don't think you stopping using the site would be much of an issue. Threatening 'well i'll just quit if you don't do what I say' means little to nothing; if you aren't going to follow the rules we put out, you won't be on the site for long anyways. I'm sorry you disagree, but this is a matter that is far out of that league. This is literally a legal matter, and if you refuse to understand we will begin to have issues.
ZeroXC's AvatarZeroXC
I had a question. What about memes (not that we use them much on PF1 or PFQ)? Do art theft rules apply to that as well?
Avatar is official art from Witch Hunter Robin
Corviknight's AvatarCorviknight
Zero: If someone took the time to make it, then it should be credited. Even if the meme is free to use, credit should still be given so that the mods are able to make sure that it is free to use. Guys. It's not hard. If it's an image, credit it. :p
official project sekai art; icon is official TCG art
he/him + 22 + cst

Pages: 123··· 8910111213

Cannot post: Please log in to post

© PokéFarm 2009-2024 (Full details)Contact | Rules | Privacy | Reviews 4.6★Get shortlink for this page