PFQ Banner

This is PokéFarm Q, a free online Pokémon collectables game.

Already a user? New to PFQ?

Rework Tournaments for accessibility & practical purposes

Forum Index > Core > Suggestions >

Pages: 12345··· 789

Iggyzilla tm's AvatarIggyzilla tm
I suppose after more thought and other's inputs, I do see the points being made by them as valid enough. It is true, that while some tournaments such as these can be seen as frustrating at times, it does inevitably even the playing field so to speak. Even when I thought upon it more, I'm by no means a super wealthy player either. So it does seem appealing to have a few tournaments such as these that sort of leave it up to chance a bit and perhaps give those newer or "somewhere in between" players a shot. Again, I understand the frustrations for sure. Even I was in the beginning... but after looking over other's comments and giving it some thought? I unfortunately will have to shift more twords no support. As while this is a game to have a good time on, I understand that perhaps not every event or mission will be as fun to me, but perhaps so to others and perhaps serves a purpose too. So perhaps the RNG should stick around, least for now, if it does help some of the player base have a fair shot.
Type Race Dec. 2020!
(Trophy by GnarleyQuinn!)
(Avatar is a Braxien/Zoroark hybrid created by myself!)
Protag's AvatarProtag
After giving my own comments some thought, I've felt like I've countered myself by saying that "RNG isn't fun but I enjoy it" ;; Lemme end the confusion by saying that I have developed a significant love-hate relationship with RNG based games. Yes, I hate my bad luck sometimes but I also know that there is nothing I can do about it, as the luck and draws are randomly generated. I still enjoy playing it though, as it is a game I loved playing. Extremely sorry for those that are confused, I have a sleepy brain ;;
Abbie ◇ she/her ◇ Married ================== Hoards:
spicy mons
/
Jade Orbs
//////
================= JournalClanShop
furina's Avatarfurina
Alright, I'm sliiightly annoyed by some of the things I have to read. I don't really like the tones of some posts, but I'll answer with utmost respect.

QUOTE originally posted by AlbedoWasTaken

Unfortunately, what you're basing Gacha RNG on is basically a misinformation and stereotype about it. It is the reason why parental controls exist, or why some parents don't want to let their kid handle any smart device. Either way, young parents nowadays should know the best ways on how to control their own childrenc especially with all the 'predatory games' out there. RNG is RNG; it is run by an AI or program that runs the numbers on a randomizer and gives you one that it thinks is the best result for that time. It doesn't matter if its run by a website or by a company that programs the game; RNG is just a randomizer designed to give you the best and worst possible outcome in the game. (...)
I don't like it when I'm told by someone that I'm basing things on misinformation, while that person doesn't present evidence that refutes my statement. Especially since you're talking to a psychology student here. Although I have to admit I could've linked you studies and articles that support my claim beforehand, which I'm sorry for. There are many more articles that talk about gacha/loot boxes, but I've at least linked three of them. There have been extensive studies about this matter. I hope this helps you! I don't want to go too off-topic about this anymore, though. You're free to PM me if you have any questions about gacha.

QUOTE originally posted by Terabbit

As a user who was knocked off the board for being ill and unable to participate, I'm going to have to say No Support, in fact this exact suggestion was rejected a few years back because I made the same suggestion a few years ago. I find it strange you want to remove this RNG tourney that are VERY accessible to the average player base but don't call for the removal of tourneys like 'hatch specfic natures', which is also RNG based (yes, even with everstones it's still a lot of RNG) I can see that this whole suggestion stems from entitlement that you think you deserve a top 100 spot because you're an arceus player, it's why you're not going for tournaments that require paid site upgrades like shelter tourneys, or why you aren't going after a the nature RNG tourney because you KNOW you could place in that because you have the incredibly expensive DCPs to place in those types of tourneys. A lot of comments on this thread, particularly Leackys' absolutely stink of entitlement to get on the top 100, scour and berry tourneys even the playing field. Getting rid of them would only benefit those onsite who have an exceptional amount of resources to place in all other tournaments.
It's incredibly rude to pass off the struggles of fellow players as "entitlement", while the same players are doing their best to participate and place in the Leaderboard. Pointing out the flaws of a mechanic isn't entitlement — it's a genuine call for change, and it's especially because of their time spent here that they know how the mechanics work, and how incredibly unrewarding it is if you just let it leave up to luck and not on effort. Please don't do that anymore. The statement "Nature Tournaments are also RNG" is somewhat flawed. Yes, they are RNG, but they're not as horrible as Scour and Berry Tourneys. At all. You absolutely don't need to ruin your sleep schedule for that. When I wasn't an advanced player yet, I couldn't place in the Top 100 either. And I didn't find that weird or unfair, because that was my idea of Tournaments: effort results into reward. As soon as I used boosts like HM, Star Pass and other boosts, I started placing more. Scour Tourneys are a huge exception, because you can only hope your Pokémon come back with something valuable once every hour, while you're doing absolutely zero effort. It's completely impractical. To be really honest, all of this makes me consider calling for reworking the entire concept of Tournaments, because while they are fun, the fact that the prizes are new Exclusive Eggs does more harm than good. We could try to look for alternatives for releasing new Exclusive Eggs, and keep Tournaments for different purposes. That way, people can retain Arceus rank without complaining about RNG. Or we can scrap the concept of Leaderboards, although that also defeat the purpose of the name "Tournament"... Hmm.
forum avatar is furina from genshin impact
Mirzam's AvatarMirzam
I agree with Arsenal on this one. And with the rework to the long chain bonus I don't see this as being as critical as some other players do? Honestly I do think of the whole tournament system in general as being problematic and encouraging unhealthy play. But I've struggled to think of why the scouring one is so much worse than any of the others... I just keep coming back to the thought that they're all pretty bad. I've drawn graphs of the top scores in tournaments before and honestly it looked pretty bad to me, the huge difference in scores especially on hatching/interaction ones early in the season. But I'm really not a hard core player so take this with that in mind. Literally the only tournament I've ever placed in were berry ones, which was kind of nice tbh. Edit: Oh wait it looks like I got a couple evolve ones early on too but still
Terabbit's AvatarTerabbit

QUOTE originally posted by Sakuya

As a user who was knocked off the board for being ill and unable to participate, I'm going to have to say No Support, in fact this exact suggestion was rejected a few years back because I made the same suggestion a few years ago. I find it strange you want to remove this RNG tourney that are VERY accessible to the average player base but don't call for the removal of tourneys like 'hatch specfic natures', which is also RNG based (yes, even with everstones it's still a lot of RNG) I can see that this whole suggestion stems from entitlement that you think you deserve a top 100 spot because you're an arceus player, it's why you're not going for tournaments that require paid site upgrades like shelter tourneys, or why you aren't going after a the nature RNG tourney because you KNOW you could place in that because you have the incredibly expensive DCPs to place in those types of tourneys. A lot of comments on this thread, particularly Leackys' absolutely stink of entitlement to get on the top 100, scour and berry tourneys even the playing field. Getting rid of them would only benefit those onsite who have an exceptional amount of resources to place in all other tournaments.
It's incredibly rude to pass off the struggles of fellow players as "entitlement", while the same players are doing their best to participate and place in the Leaderboard. Pointing out the flaws of a mechanic isn't entitlement — it's a genuine call for change, and it's especially because of their time spent here that they know how the mechanics work, and how incredibly unrewarding it is if you just let it leave up to luck and not on effort. Please don't do that anymore. The statement "Nature Tournaments are also RNG" is somewhat flawed. Yes, they are RNG, but they're not as horrible as Scour and Berry Tourneys. At all. You absolutely don't need to ruin your sleep schedule for that. When I wasn't an advanced player yet, I couldn't place in the Top 100 either. And I didn't find that weird or unfair, because that was my idea of Tournaments: effort results into reward. As soon as I used boosts like HM, Star Pass and other boosts, I started placing more. Scour Tourneys are a huge exception, because you can only hope your Pokémon come back with something valuable once every hour, while you're doing absolutely zero effort. It's completely impractical. To be really honest, all of this makes me consider calling for reworking the entire concept of Tournaments, because while they are fun, the fact that the prizes are new Exclusive Eggs does more harm than good. We could try to look for alternatives for releasing new Exclusive Eggs, and keep Tournaments for different purposes. That way, people can retain Arceus rank without complaining about RNG. Or we can scrap the concept of Leaderboards, although that also defeat the purpose of the name "Tournament"... Hmm.
But you're also neglecting to acknowledge other players who enjoy the scour tourneys. In fact you saying that scours and berry gardening are 'no effort' activities onsite is also incredibly rude. There are users who enjoy these activities more than hatching eggs and more than making interactions. Infact this tourney is better for people than interaction tourneys where users are forced to make hundreds of thousands of interactions just to place, now that actually is not healthy. There are people who can sleep and still place in these tourneys, infact "falling off the tourney board because I slept" can happen in literally any tourney as (i believe it was arsenal?) stated that they have been knocked off shelter tourneys because of timezones and sleep. The notion to get rid of tourneys because you (and by extension others) can't keep arceus rank 100% of the time is a very unfair idea. Pokefarm needs this little bit of intense competition every few months to keep it from going stale or getting boring. Tournaments also do wonders for F2P players who don't care for arceus rank who can sell their tokens for up to 100zc after a tournament to arceus players who did not place or want to hunt the new tourney mon. That's about 1 month HM for some players who otherwise would spend 2-4 weeks trying to make 5 box boxs and to take away that temporary but consistent stimulation to the economy from players would be downright dangerous to the playerbase who rely on that income and use it to play this game. What's the difference between being online for 12 hours a day and non stop clicking/hatching vs going online once every hour to claim scours or water berries? Both require commitment. Both require time and both are incredibly unhealthy habits. But this suggestion in particular is only calling for the removal of one of these things. The only difference i can possibly see in these RNG tourneys you want to remove vs the ones you dont want to remove is the accessibility. The reason you're being constantly kicked off the leaderboard is because a lot more players have a fair shot in this tourney. And to take that away from them because the competition is getting to tough for people to place is not fair to those who are putting in the time and effort to place. Because again contrary to your opinion, putting time into your day to check on scours is effort.
credit
Background drawn by AdimivA on twitter Gif created by JUSTICEBEETLE F2U & Icon code by Gumshoe
furina's Avatarfurina
did you seriously just call me self-centered for an issue i posted about with 19 upvotes LMAO It's literally a fact that Scours and Berry Tournaments are low-effort. You just click a little bit and wait till you need to retrieve your Pokémon or water your plants. That's very, very different from Egg hatching or interacting. And you just proved to me that Tournaments can be unhealthy for people... Which brings me to the point that we have to bring about change to how they work. And hey, if you find it unfair that I'm only calling for the RNG Tourneys to be removed, and not the effort-based Tourneys, then... I can just also call for the entirety of Tourneys to be removed. And I don't agree with that either, because as you said, competition is necessary in this game. But the current way of competition doesn't benefit anyone. That's why I'm calling for change. It doesn't have to be the thing I want it to be, but it needs to go at least to a direction that makes it better for anyone, whether you're an experienced player or not. All I know is that the current situation is crap.

QUOTE originally posted by Leacky

Alright, this will be short and very blunt and sorry in advance if what I'm about to say will sound rude to some of you but after seeing so many people not supporting this suggestion I really feel the need to say this. Who, do you think, needs to win the tourney Egg the most: somebody who barely plays the game, is missing many Egg and Dex entries even without the tourney Egg and hatches maybe a few parties of Eggs on a good day or somebody does many Melan hunts, who maxes out their Star Pass even on Shazi days and will actually need this Egg to maintain their Arceus Rank? And comparing the Scours that are on a timer to clicks and hatching Eggs is... just stupid. If you play the game enough you don't need to put way more effort and time into these tourneys than you already do without them to be in the top 100. I'm speaking from experience here. Let that sink in...
For some of us we are struggling to get to Arceus rank because we can't beat out all the people who spend a ton of time on the tournaments. Most of the egg and dex entries I am missing are all the tournament eggs and such. I play the game a decent amount, but I still do not have the time and currency to hatch a ton of eggs for the tourneys. The same people are going to be the ones on the leaderboard all the time for the tourneys, whether the egg is new or not. The same people will keep taking the chance away from others to get the new eggs ever after they have their egg to keep Arceus rank. I could get behind not having RNG tournaments for the first time an egg is released, but overall I think it is a good way for some people to actually have a chance on the leaderboard.
My profile picture is me playing trumpet. I currently have nothing else to put here so, I like music, video games, and potatoes. Check out my trade shop:
Gumshoe's AvatarGumshoe
I really just think Tournaments in general need some kind of rework. The majority of users I've seen don't enjoy them, and it most always loops back to the difficulty of maintaining Arceus rank. I, myself, have been trying to cool my jets on maintaining Arceus since the melan boost rework, but I do still feel the urge that I'm missing out, and it's incredibly frustrating when it feels like the only way I can """win""" is be lucky or unhealthy sleep
this is also me speaking as someone with a sleeping disorder that they have to take medication for
. If tournaments weren't so "important" I feel users wouldn't mind tourneys as much, RNG or frustrating or no. I'm not sure many users would participate in tourneys if they weren't so important for Arceus/monetary reasons. I just....really don't see people enoying them; it's more of a chore that I get allowance from than a fun game feature that I enjoy doing in my eyes. (I do understand I may be mistaken about the popular opinion, this is just my experience!) I think the melan boost rework helped a little bit, but I'm not sure it helped enough; at least in the eyes of major melan hunters. Arceus still feels mandatory to some, even if it isn't as mandatory as it used to be. But uh, yeah. For the suggestion itself leaning towards support. IMO RNG is not fun for game-improving features, and I really dislike feeling punished for sleeping properly. (Berries dont bother me as much as scours bc mulch can speed it up and you only have to check a few times a day rather than on the hour)
"Who knows? That guy...always keeps you waiting."
Chicken ★ 27 ★ they/them journal shop art shop
credit
★ pfp by me ★ sig img from Metal Gear Solid 2 ★ sig code by me
furina's Avatarfurina

QUOTE originally posted by Gumshoe

I really just think Tournaments in general need some kind of rework. The majority of users I've seen don't enjoy them, and it most always loops back to the difficulty of maintaining Arceus rank. I, myself, have been trying to cool my jets on maintaining Arceus since the melan boost rework, but I do still feel the urge that I'm missing out, and it's incredibly frustrating when it feels like the only way I can """win""" is be lucky or unhealthy sleep
this is also me speaking as someone with a sleeping disorder that they have to take medication for
. If tournaments weren't so "important" I feel users wouldn't mind tourneys as much, RNG or frustrating or no. I'm not sure many users would participate in tourneys if they weren't so important for Arceus/monetary reasons. I just....really don't see people enoying them; it's more of a chore that I get allowance from than a fun game feature that I enjoy doing in my eyes. (I do understand I may be mistaken about the popular opinion, this is just my experience!) I think the melan boost rework helped a little bit, but I'm not sure it helped enough; at least in the eyes of major melan hunters. Arceus still feels mandatory to some, even if it isn't as mandatory as it used to be. (...)
I think you took the words out of my mouth. Really worded well. I'm sorry for not being as good as you with words.
quinnpanda's Avatarquinnpanda

That's about 1 month HM for some players who otherwise would spend 2-4 weeks trying to make 5 box boxs and to take away that temporary but consistent stimulation to the economy away from players would be downright dangerous to the playerbase who rely on that income and use it to play this game.
i understand what you’re saying, and i respect your opinion, but some of it’s a little iffy imo? the hard goals in other tournaments (such as evolving pokemon at 60 points or hatching shelter eggs at 108) are easy and achievable to anyone while still getting 5 tokens. you have 5 days to do that, so even with an a pass (24 adoptions) you can get those 108 shelter eggs within 5 days with minimal clicking. people sell valid rte’s for cheap and they’re not too hard to get. i know what you mean, i was in that place before where selling tokens was my primary source of money.

my tourney results from season 9

in 3 of the first 4 tournaments of the season, i met the hard goal while still being a new player. (for reference, my first tourney was the third-to-last of season 8.) the first 3 tournaments that i participated in from s9 were, in order, “hatch eggs,” “adopt and hatch eggs from shelter,” and “hatch a variety of eggs.” i am also a f2p player and have not spent real money on this site. this shows that it’s possible to get the same amount of tokens from a “hatch eggs” tournament and a “scours” tournament. hatching pokemon, however, is much more enjoyable than going back to scours every hour and praying you get something good. i truly hope this doesn’t come off as combative or rude, i completely see your point!
= 20 = 20
Template credit: izu.ku Avatar credit: Agent8

Pages: 12345··· 789

Cannot post: Please log in to post

© PokéFarm 2009-2024 (Full details)Contact | Rules | Privacy | Reviews 4.6★Get shortlink for this page