PFQ Banner

This is PokéFarm Q, a free online Pokémon collectables game.

Already a user? New to PFQ?

Change Ravyne Counter's Multiplier Format

Forum Index > Core > Suggestions > Rejected >

Pages: 1234

Lucretia's AvatarLucretia

QUOTE originally posted by JackTwinSpectrum

[…] "x3" translates as "triple" very clearly. Except that's not the effect it has. If the Daily Task gives me a Medium gem on a x3 Ravyne Day, I don't get triple Medium Gems. I get the one gem I would normally get, two more from Ravyne, and the Medium from the Task.
But... If you think of it that way, I can very easily just say you get one gem from the egg, Rayvne triples it, and then you get the medium from the task. This is only a problem for one egg a day. One. But the problem is that this not a harmless change; it could be jarring and awkward for older players who are used to "x3". Especially since you're now going to have the x4 bonus be a "+3" bonus - that's just confusing if you're used to seeing the multiplication sign there instead of the plus. I'm all for "minor" suggestions that fix minor things for consistency because they have no backdraws. But this could majorly confuse people for relatively small payoff. Sorry for commenting so much. I just really cannot support this.
Raichu's AvatarRaichu
I think you're underestimating how much the single egg you hatch everyday relates to the Ravyne counter. You're talking about the only two ways to boost the amount of gems you get per egg. If there are only two ways that affect gem yield, why are they differently textualized? The whole argument that JackTwinSpectrum posted is that x3+10 is inherently more confusing than +2+10 because there doesn't need to be order of operations. That - I don't think is arguable. There are more ways to interpret the interaction between a Ravyne counter multiplier and the chain bonus than between a Ravyne counter adder and the chain bonus. This exact statement is something you mentioned, as you argued that you can just as easily say that you can multiply at the beginning instead of at the end. I also really don't think that a change to the bonus would be jarring or confusing. The font size for the counter bonuses is large enough that you can tell the difference between a + sign and x sign. Quite easily. It's also not like the font is so large that you can easily glance at the number of the bonus and not be able to notice that the sign is + and not x. It's enough of a change that users will be able to see that the sign has been swapped.
No support from me because (as an example) +2 would be more confusing and technically more work than a x3. x3 is basically look at the number for how many gems you're gonna get, but +2 is here's your bonus now add one to see how many you get per egg. It's very simple math that we see as automatic, but it's still doing math. Meanwhile, I've never looked at the Ravyne counter and though "oh it's x3, that means I'm getting three times one gem" - it's always just "there's the number, that's how many gems I'm getting". I've never really thought of the Ravyne counter as needing to do the math, unlike Niet or Garth or really any other counter.
Call me "Padfoot" please. They/them. Avatar done by panpixel Flarotis design by PFQ
No support, 3*1=3. And *3 is easier for some people.
Hello!
Lucretia's AvatarLucretia

QUOTE originally posted by Raichu

...I also really don't think that a change to the bonus would be jarring or confusing. The font size for the counter bonuses is large enough that you can tell the difference between a + sign and x sign. Quite easily. It's also not like the font is so large that you can easily glance at the number of the bonus and not be able to notice that the sign is + and not x. It's enough of a change that users will be able to see that the sign has been swapped.
(this will be my last post, since I feel like I'm just repeating myself) I wasn't really talking about the font size at all - I'm more talking about people being used to the x and then becoming confused because it's a +, even when the font size is very readable. It's the mere fact that the sign has changed (seemingly randomly) would be enough to confuse people. People do not look at the counters for long. They glance at them because they are used to their old format. That's what I mean - it's not like I'm looking at the bonus counters active today for more than a few seconds because I already know what the format of them are. I'm used to Rayvne's x3, so I don't waste time to check the sign because, well, they've never been changed before (to my knowledge). I absolutely know that if it were changed today I would be confused for hours. Most users are used to the x3 and read it only as "3" - meaning the gems they'll get today - and changing it to +2 would be probably result in people going "wait, what?" at least a few times.
Niet [Adam]'s AvatarNiet [Adam]
Going to bump this over to rejected. There's actually quite a bit more to it than just displaying the number differently, as that number is also used in the code to actually give you the Gems, which would need completely changing for it.
Clip from Pokémon anime, re-lined by me
-- OMNOMNOM!
Featured story: Injustice Feedback welcome!

Pages: 1234

Cannot post: Please log in to post

© PokéFarm 2009-2024 (Full details)Contact | Rules | Privacy | Reviews 4.6★Get shortlink for this page