PFQ Banner

This is PokéFarm Q, a free online Pokémon collectables game.

Already a user? New to PFQ?

Change Ravyne Counter's Multiplier Format

Forum Index > Core > Suggestions > Rejected >

Pages: 1234

SUNNELIØN's Avatarhypermode-12.pngSUNNELIØN
hypermode.pngcomplete.pngc.png
I'd like to add that I'm not sure how one would come across his viewpoint but I can see someone thinking a "+2" day means you got 2 gems, yet you get three. I still think it's more clear to say "x3" which translates as "triple" very clearly.
S U N N E L I O N sunne ☀ they/them ☀ 21 ground.png ☀ 2528
S U N N E L I O N my shop art shop
S U N N E L I O N pfp: me sig img: norowa code: altered
If we're assuming they understand multiplication, we can assume they understand addition. I don't think any person who knows what "x3" means would be confused by "+2"... Secondly, yes, "x3" translates as "triple" very clearly. Except that's not the effect it has. If the Daily Task gives me a Medium gem on a x3 Ravyne Day, I don't get triple Medium Gems. I get the one gem I would normally get, two more from Ravyne, and the Medium from the Task.
LoneShadøw's AvatarLoneShadøw
arceus.pnga+.png
Actually if you know math then multiplication always occurs before addition, that's basic order of operations. The daily task adds on at the end as it should. As for the suggestion I'm on the fence, I honestly don't see the need to fix something that's not broken.
Journal 🐾 Shop 🐾 Avatar Credit
u.pngr.png8.pngc.png
(For one thing, saying multiplication "always" occurs before addition ignores the whole concept of brackets/parentheses, but that's being pedantic) Yes, I'm aware how order of operations works. However, the person I was replying to was saying that a) "+2" might somehow be confusing and "x3" is the better alternative and b) "x3" translates as "tripled". So I was saying that a) "x 3 + 10" is inherently more 'confusing' than "+ 2 + 10" (because, yes, as you say, the former requires order of operations, which the hypothetical user is somehow supposed to understand despite being confused by "+2") and b) it's only ever the 1 gem that gets "tripled".
Lucretia's AvatarLucretia
master.pngd+.png
I honestly don't support. In my mind, it's so, so much easier to see "x3" and know that "Oh, I'm getting 3 gems instead of one today" instead of +2 and saying "Ok so usually I get one so one plus two is three so I get three today..." It's a super basic step, yeah, but it's still annoying to do that extra step. Don't fix what isn't broken; changing it now would just be jarring and awkward for older players (which makes up a lot of the playerbase) and could lead to repetitive help threads (Rayvne +2???, etc.). It's unnecessary - it's something that doesn't really need to be "fixed". I dunno. I think it's easier to process "this is the number of gems I'm going to get when hatching any egg other than the first egg today" than "this is the number of gems I'll get on top of the usual 1 gem". I understand that others see this differently, though. At this point I think it's not really enough of an issue to warrant changing something that many players have gotten used to already.
Raichu's AvatarRaichu
champion.pngd+.png
I can understand how you might see that these could be problems that arise from a change of the format of the Ravyne counter bonus! These are arguments that have been expressed before by people who don't support this suggestion. These are the reason why I don't think any of your points would be issues if my suggestion were to be implemented: From your perspective, you know that every egg yields one gem. That is why x3 is essentially the same as 3 gems to you. So why would someone who knows that there will be one gem coming out of an egg assume that there would be a yield of 2 gems when a counter clearly says +2? Any person with fundamental knowledge of how many gems are made per egg can't possibly think that a +2 counter means 2 and not 3. Perhaps if the counter did not have a "+" on it, it would be confusing. That is not what I am suggesting, however. You don't see people asking on help threads why they haven't been able to hatch a shiny yet when the Sei counter bonus has something like 16% written on it and only 16%. It is obvious what the bonus is conveying, which is that shininess chance is x1.16 and not just a flat shininess chance of 16%. Your point that it would be an awkward change for seasoned players is also something I don't think would be an issue. As I have said before, there is an already-existing adding function of gems to the base value, which is the reward for hatching an egg daily on chain. The text explicitly says that the person will get 2 extra gems or a medium gem. It's just odd that two bonuses - chain reward and counter bonus - have the same flavor, which are increases in the amount of gems hatched per egg, but are expressed differently. This is the reason why I am pushing this suggestion - because the two bonuses are inconsistent. My point of bringing the chain reward up is to show you that an adder as the Ravyne bonus is not something an old player would be unfamiliar with. It has been a function of the game for a while already. I have also mentioned before that my suggestion is not calling for a fix on anything. To call for a fix is to say as if the multiplier isn't functioning correctly. It functions perfectly fine as it is; the point of a suggestion is to make alterations to the game. Many suggestions you see are not "necessary" but would be great additions to the game. My suggestion is definitely not game-changing nor is it the best addition to PFQ, but it is what I believe makes more sense than how it currently is. I, however, completely and utterly respect your opinion that how it is currently makes sense to you more!
Minxrod's AvatarMinxrod
champion.png
I feel like this will create unneccessary confusion. Keeping it as a multiplier still makes about as much sense as adding, so it seems like a change is unneccessary and would just create possibly more unneccessary misunderstanding .
Lucretia's AvatarLucretia
master.pngd+.png
I've made suggestions that haven't been "necessary" but instead were just things for consistency or the like too. I get the need for these suggestions and I support them. But this would just be... awkward. I don't see the need to change something that's been the same for years because of one egg you hatch per day. That's the only reason you might want to change it - because of the daily task extra gem(s), and that's literally only a problem for one egg a day. Yes I'm aware of your point about consistency, but in this case, I don't think consistency is an issue. "x3" works. People have gotten used to it and it clicks in our brains (at least, I think it does for most people). Changing it now would throw a bunch of people off - which I think is a problem. Sure - it's not a big change, and it's still easy to process - but it's a change, and that's what confuses people, y'know?
SUNNELIØN's Avatarhypermode-12.pngSUNNELIØN
hypermode.pngcomplete.pngc.png

QUOTE originally posted by Raichu

Your point that it would be an awkward change for seasoned players is also something I don't think would be an issue.
I have been on this site for nearly 10 months now. I'm used to looking up at the counters and saying "nice, x3 day today!" and starting to see a "+2" would be confusing at first because I'm used to a different sign being there. I'd bet it would take me a few weeks to get used to the "+2" meaning "x3" and "+1" not meaning no bonus due to the sign change. Maybe it's just be, but I could see that becoming a problem as well.
Nanicar's AvatarNanicar
master.pngd.png

QUOTE originally posted by JackTwinSpectrum

[…] "x3" translates as "triple" very clearly. Except that's not the effect it has. If the Daily Task gives me a Medium gem on a x3 Ravyne Day, I don't get triple Medium Gems. I get the one gem I would normally get, two more from Ravyne, and the Medium from the Task.
This in and of itself is a good reason to support this suggestion, guys, don't ya think? :/
Avatar portrait created with the Stardew Valley character creator.

Pages: 1234

Cannot post: Please log in to post

© PokéFarm 2009-2024 (Full details)Contact | Rules | Privacy | Reviews 4.6★Get shortlink for this page