PFQ Banner

This is PokéFarm Q, a free online Pokémon collectables game.

Already a user? New to PFQ?

Implementing A 'Block' Feature

Forum Index > Core > Suggestions > Under Consideration >

Pages: 123··· 5354555657··· 858687

Cháösity's AvatarCháösity

QUOTE originally posted by Foxzebra

QUOTE originally posted by TaíntedDøll

QUOTE originally posted by mikestarprince

[snip]
[snip]
With all due respect, I don't think adding a block feature will lessen the amount of clickbacks you get if people are already purposely not clicking you. Your about me even says "If you don't want to click me because my beliefs and opinions aren't the same as yours.. that's your problem." There is no way to influence how others will click you since that is a personal choice. It is their problem and nothing you can do will stop that. You can't exactly force someone to click back. Now, I click back whoever clicks me, but that doesn't mean that I agree with their views. However, I do not represent the whole of pokefarm players. In reality, there is no way to control how people will click you so implementing a block feature will probably not affect the clicks you get. Since this game relies on others playing with you, there will always be people who don't return what you give. Likewise, you can't force people to trade with you either. If people already don't want to trade with you for personal reasons, a block will not change this. You say that this block will cause segregation and therefore crash the economy, but isn't pokefarm already "segregated" and thus the economy is already affected? In a perfect game, everyone will trade with you but the truth is that this is already happening to you, so a block will not do much. Also, if you are being harassed, please report that to the mods since that is against the rules. But, a person choosing to not click you is not against the rules. If people want to block for any reason, it should be their choice. We need a block feature for people who don't feel comfortable on the game, whether it's from poltical views or harassment and such.
Trust me, I do report it. That doesn't mean it wont stop. Nothing you said changes my mind. MY own profile and statements on clickbacks has literally nothing to do with this, as I stated before. I don't care about clickbacks. I'm speaking up for people who DON'T do 100k clicks a day, who DAY sit here clicking everyone online every 20 minutes, who DON'T have the means to do this stuff independently. KEEP IN MIND: I am in no way referring to people who actually have reasons to block people. I am referring to the massive amounts of users who will abuse the block feature. So STOP replying thinking you're correcting me, cause you definitely ain't. A block feature literally takes away a core point of this game. If people are let to believe they're allowed to judge others for no reason other than not being an "BLM" supporter, then they will never stop demanding. They will never stop black listing. Like I said in my original post, a PM block is the most that should be done. It serves the same purpose with the least amount of negative affects. If someone harasses you, REPORT IT and block them. I will die on this hill and I really don't care because none of you are even looking at the bigger picture.
• ᴠᴀɴɪᴛʏ • • δA/M Charks UFS

QUOTE originally posted by TaíntedDøll

If someone harasses you, REPORT IT and block them.
i apologize if you didn't see my earlier post saying this, but... yup! that's why in the mockup of what the block feature will look like, if you select harassment as your reason for blocking, you are encouraged to report them for said harassment!
  • Misc.
  • Important Mons
i'm mike. it/its. credits | journal | art showcase (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ︵ ┻━┻ will buy these
Shazi's AvatarShazi
I have locked this thread temporarily, I would like everyone to please take some time to step away from this and calm down a little as things are getting heated. This is also a reminder that this thread is NOT to try and convince staff we need a block feature it is to discuss what a block feature will look like.
498 Ice Fangs
102 Gray Stones
Mass Click Association - My Shop - Guide to 90%+ Pairs
Signature by Cele, Avatar by Me
Neonyan's AvatarNeonyan
Hello everyone! Now that we're unlocked, let's refocus back on what we want out of a block feature. Since it's tentatively confirmed that the block feature is going through, let's not worry ourselves too much with who wants and who doesn't want a block feature. Let's just work together to make sure this feature fits everyone's needs best. You are still welcome to voice your opinion if you do not want a block feature, but I'd request that we keep the discussion away from these things and just leave posts about not wanting a block feature alone.

As a reminder, here are some of the main points that the mods asked us to focus on and discuss. ( + Cele's post about lag, since it's still relevant to the conversation.) You can see all the important mod posts in the first post of this thread, as there are more.

Niet post 1 (MAIN POINTS HERE)

QUOTE originally posted by Niet

Okay, so now that we've established that you did indeed mean "basic", please provide answers to all of the following: - If a user has interacted with you before you blocked them, and then you block them, how should this affect the Clickback list of both the blocking user and the blocked user? - If a user has blocked another user, but then finds an Egg from the Shelter bred by the blocked user, should they be able to see it? Adopt it? What about its timeline? - If a user blocks another user, it is fairly trivial to prevent most interactions just by blocking access to the Profile and Summary pages. However, it would not be feasible to block forum posts (as doing so can lead to crucial loss of context in a thread). This means the [pkmnpanel] cannot be blocked, and so interactions would be possible through there. How would you resolve this, bearing in mind that Interactions are already the most server-stressful feature of the site and adding more checks onto them is a Bad Idea™? - Should a blocked user be able to buy items from the Marketboard put up for sale by the user who blocked them? Or vice versa? - Should Wonder Trades be able to randomly pair you up with a user you have blocked? If not, additional checks will need to be added that could potentially result in Wonder Trades remaining unmatched, or worse it keeps trying to match you with the blocked user and never resolves. Since Wonder Trades can't be cancelled either, there's no way out of such a loop. - Some users may want blocking to result in the blocked user effectively "disappearing" from their gameplay experience. How would you reconcile this with the fact that Tournaments have a leaderboard with a limited number of places? - Same question for Pokérus. How would you handle someone wanting to hunt for Pokérus, only to find that a person they blocked currently has it? Remember they can't interact with them if they've blocked them. I could go on, but these are the questions that must be answered before a block feature can be added to this multiplayer game.

Niet Post 2 (MAIN POINTS HERE)

I had to step away because I was getting... frustrated, I must admit. However, I think that was due to me not communicating my side of things well enough, so for that I must apologise to Mandibuzzard. I would like to try again and make things clearer. There are two issues at play here: 1. Site performance. As you may have noticed, the site already suffers from occasional lag spikes that refuse any attempt to diagnose or fix. It's something that's been a real thorn in my side. Or Lego brick under my foot. There are about 5k users who visited the site in the last 24 hours. That's a total of about 12.5 million possible inter-person links. Of those, I would estimate that maybe a few hundred to a thousand blocks would be made. After all, most people either get along just fine, or are content to ignore each other. Even if I generously round up the number of blocks, you're still looking at less than 0.01% of potential inter-person links being blocked. For such a tiny fraction, it is absolutely not reasonable to add extra database lookups to the Shelter page, for example. The Shelter is highly optimised to work the way it currently does, and adding a "block check" to that would slow it down by several orders of magnitude. All of that, for a less than 0.01% incidence. Similar logic applies to other parts. On the other hand, blocking the Profile page is super easy, barely an inconvenience. This is what I mean when I say it's about compromise. 2. Game mechanics. PFQ is a game where every user is massively inter-connected with every other user. Most features involve interaction with other players in some form. Every single one of them will need to be tweaked to account for possible blocks. Many of them can probably be "fixed" by just anonymising the blocked user's name. ***** can work quite well because that's what we already use for censoring inappropriate usernames, so technically you don't know if it's a blocked user on the Timeline, or just someone who named themselves something rude. That's a good idea. What I might be able to do is add a filter to the Clickback list, such that blocked users won't appear on it - but they can still interact with you. That way you can benefit from their interactions, without even being aware of it and without the need to reciprocate. However, this may need some kind of limitation on it to keep things reasonable performance-wise. There may need to be a cap on how many people you can block, just to ensure it doesn't become a performance issue again, but that cap should easily be higher than anything you'll actually need. In any case, my "push-back" here is really just to try and drill down and get at what people want from this feature. "A block feature would be nice," sure, but figuring out exactly what it'd be used for will help with implementation details later. EDIT: To add an example of why a limit would be needed to prevent performance issues. There was a person who accidentally crashed the site every time they logged on. Eventually I figured out that they were subscribed to over 1,000 threads and had been offline for a long time, so there were many, many new posts and the system was trying to notify them of it. But that involved loading the usernames of the people who had posted. That was too much, and the server ground to a halt. That's why your forum subscriptions are limited now.

Cele Post 1 (RE: LAG)

QUOTE originally posted by Cele

re: lag Blocking won't have as much of an impact on the site as you think, D33R, specifically because we are likely not going to add the most lag-inducing aspects such as Shelter filtering (re: making sure you don't encounter eggs bred by a blocked user). Asking Sally to check all 40 eggs for their OTs every time you refresh would just be too much especially given that the Shelter is an already resource-intensive feature. This has pretty much been deemed too lag-inducing for not enough benefit to be practical. There's already less than a 1% chance you'll run into an egg hatched by someone you've blocked simply due to the sheer number of eggs in the Shelter. That's why "but the lag" is largely a non-point -- it's simply unlikely that this or other major lag-causers would be added to the block feature due to this exact concern. Those features would need to provide a benefit that is applicable to enough people and/or in enough instances to be worth it vs the server system's resources used or otherwise occupied by those processes. So, please do not use lag as a reason to not support this. Niet can make things work and will do whatever is possible to minimize the impact it has on the site in terms of lag. Don't worry about the implementation of it, and just stick to the pros and cons of the block feature itself and the features that you would like to see accompanying it.

Cele Post 2 (RE-FOCUSING THREAD)

Not editing this into my previous post since I want it to push a notif to anyone subbed. I'd really appreciate it if y'all took the time to read this! As a foreword, some things I'm going to say here are going to be in response to specific users and other things will be points I'm just bringing up because they need attention. I'm not quoting those users because this post is already long enough as it is and I believe I managed to make the point well enough without needing the context of those posts. Please let me know if that's not the case and I'll figure out... something.
There seems to be a widespread assumption that this is a simple thing that can just be done. As someone who's sat in call and watched Niet code in real time, he is better at this especially in the present day than he's given due credit for. While I said don't worry too much about things like lag, there are still things we have to keep in mind, also in regards to lag itself. Don't allow "lag" to be a prohibitive point that causes you to oppose this suggestion. Just remember that the features of the site stack on top of each other, intersect at different places, and branch off in other ways. This is true of a lot of complex coding projects. It's not even really a tree anymore, it's a straight up spiderweb simply due to the extent of it, where different parts rejoin and branch off again somewhere else down the line. Now, in terms of adding a block feature to this spiderweb, it's like adding roadblocks. You find a point in the spiderweb where you're like "I want this to no longer be an option for people who are blocked," but then you have to consider the likely many ways they can get around that via other paths in the web. This ties back to something I said previously that I would like to clarify. Any process Sally does will cause some amount of "lag" in that it simply takes some measure of time in order to complete. Whether that amount of time is efficient, negligible enough to be acceptable, and/or worth it for the benefit that is gained determines whether or not it's particularly "laggy" for the server or just par for the course, even if that time is measured in fractions of a second or even fractions of a millisecond. They add up quickly and become several seconds in total, enough to be noticeable, when Sally has to do a lot of searches and cross-referencing, such as for keeping track of which part of the spiderweb you're at, whether or not there is a roadblock, and the conditions that that roadblock imposes. This is in addition to everything Sally already does. The main intent of staff joining in this thread and trying to help it along was to request specific assistance in figuring out the conditions the roadblocks should have, trying to find a compromise between the "hard block where the blocked person(s) don't exist in my user experience at all" ideal and the reality of the situation where Sally can't take that amount of stress and we have to aim for a "soft block where the blocked person(s) still exist but where certain restrictions are imposed." There's also still ongoing evaluation on whether or not this is at all possible given what PFQ is and whether or not this is a feature that would have to be put exclusively on "PFNew" (affectionate nickname). If at all, mind. We're trying to meet with you guys somewhere in the middle but we want help finding where that point is. To that end, I'd like to request that we refocus on the suggestion itself and especially in answering Niet's concerns in his two posts starting here. I understand that some discussion has occurred on these points, but ultimately this is where the focus is further needed. If you understand the concerns Niet posed here, what are your own ideas for solutions to it? Given that a block is not a report, then either blocks need to be accompanied by a report through the block function itself or via the usual reporting process. This has basically been established, and the mock-up for this looked pretty nice. There's some questions, though. At what points should the initial block be allowed to go through fully automated and at what points should the block require Moderator attention? Should Moderators have to fully review every block request as we review and act on reports or approve Clans to ensure people aren't being nasty, or should we only review for certain reasons/causes? Are you opposed to the suggestion entirely for reasons not yet stated? If so, why? You do actually already have the autonomy and power to "block" users if you wish. You can use the features of browsers such as Google Chrome in order to "block" users by preventing the page from loading if it is a specific URL, such as a specific user page or specific PM conversation. This would not block the user on multi-profile or click lists, and the other user would still be visible in the forums, but this option is available to anyone who seeks these specific options. I'd also like to point on that blocking someone actually doesn't do really anything to de-escalate the situation (except perhaps in cases where that is your only point of contact), and in fact often serves to exacerbate the issue by allowing it to move off-site. This isn't victim-blaming, mind, it's just the truth about how some particularly nasty folks on the receiving end of a block may choose to act. It's also the reason why we would prefer, for example, child predator concerns be reported as early as possible - it's less so "it's your fault if they move on to harass someone else," and more so "we would prefer to stop this as soon as possible so that doing this to someone else is not an option that the offender has." We want there to be less victims of child predators, harassment, bullying, thefts, and so on, so we request that you report any concerning instances immediately. It has been noted that DNI for "Do Not Interact" seems to be a popular acronym in this thread and I've seen it on Trainer Cards in the recent past, but I would like to firmly request everyone discontinue the use of this acronym and instead use DNC for "Do Not Contact." As a Moderator who has had to enforce DNCs and had to tell people that I cannot enforce DNIs, I'll explain why. Due to the in-game mechanic of clicking being called "making interactions" and the fact there is an entire page of the site called the Interactions page (or "Today's Interactions" if you go by the header of the page), the concept of DNI itself becomes unclear. Are you asking for them not to contact you in any way (PMs, trade threads, etc.), or are you just asking them not to click your Pokemon? Given that Site Rule 2A says that people can click however they want
I cannot, as a Moderator, enforce that someone not click you. You can ask that they not do so. They simply aren't obligated per the rules to comply.
and due to the unclearness of DNI as a concept for the aforementioned reason, I cannot enforce a DNI given that not everyone will understand this caveat. I know it seems a bit pedantic but please, please say DNC instead. As an addendum to this, non-personal DNCs such as in TCs are unenforceable because there's no guarantee someone will see it - please use the PM function to make Do Not Contact requests. Remember to keep them polite. Moving on from that, someone brought up the laws on discrimination. To clarify on these laws, in both in America as well as in the UK, you cannot deny service based on discriminatory reasons (race, sex, sexual orientation, religion or beliefs even including political beliefs
eg. you can't bar them because they're a conservative, liberal, democrat, tory, etc.
, etc.). If you have a non-discriminatory reason, you can deny service. If you wish to deny service and provide no reasoning for it, you can do so. However, if your reason comes to light and it's discriminatory, you can be sued and held liable in the UK. Anyone remember the gay Colorado couple who just wanted to order a cake and got refused service? That's illegal in Colorado, much like it would have been illegal if it had happened in the UK. We operate fairly similarly on PFQ since we go by UK law - it's not exactly the same though. You can refuse service in your Trade Shops and threads to whomever you like and for whatever reason you like, just keep the reasoning to yourself or at least address it respectfully in private. DNCs aren't much different. You can request that someone never contact you again in any way and not provide a reason. They are obligated to comply, else they face consequences per the rules on general respect (Rule 2B). Anyone breaking a DNC should be reported - the only response you should ever receive to a DNC is the other person's acknowledgement that they see and/or accept it. Nothing else.
I'll leave the thread locked while I sleep tonight to give folks time to read this so it doesn't get flooded out, and then I'll unlock the thread in the morning. Edit: Apologies for the late unlock; today got a bit hectic. Please feel free to continue the discussion. Be kind to each other. 🙂

And now, this is the part where I have questions! These are directed towards staff -- please do not answer these questions for staff. 1.) Is this feature actually confirmed? We've had two instances of mentioning that the staff "doesn't need convincing" of this feature, but no offical statements about this feature going in. 1a.) If this feature is confirmed, could we be moved to the approved features section? 1b.) If this feature is confirmed, would it be possible for us to get a link to this thread somewhere in the news? I know this is asking a lot (and potentially inviting more discourse), but I feel like it's worth it to get more opinions from members who typically do not check the suggestions, or wouldn't otherwise be aware of this feature coming into existence. 2.) As far as I can tell, all of the talking points in Niet & Cele's posts have been answered at least two or three times. Do you want more discussion from other players on these points, or do you have other points for us to talk about? I suppose that wasn't as many questions as I thought I had, but hopefully these questions being answered will provide me & other members some peace of mind & clarity.

★ Zachary ★ They/He ★ 22 ★

Quiet nature collector.
Free Eggdex Help + Free Pair Creation Help Free Forum Templatescredits

credits

Code & Divider @Neonyan Signature Pagedoll @Vehemourn on Toyhou.se Forum Icon @Kotatsu on Toyhou.se
Just tryna answer the questions given by staff to maybe provide more answers, even if I end up repeating what others have said o/ Niet's Questions:

Question 1

Q: - If a user has interacted with you before you blocked them, and then you block them, how should this affect the Clickback list of both the blocking user and the blocked user? A: I'm not totally sure how it would be possible, but from my own point of view, if I block someone after they've clicked me, it'd be nice to just not see their name in my Clickback list, but again, not sure if that one is possible?

Question 2

Q: - If a user has blocked another user, but then finds an Egg from the Shelter bred by the blocked user, should they be able to see it? Adopt it? What about its timeline? A: I believe this might have been answered already, as I believe I saw someone mention it was basically impossible to hide eggs bred by specific people in the shelter. But, for me personally, I don't mind/care if I end up adopting an egg bred by someone I have blocked, since I hardly look at who bred the egg anyway, unless I'm hunting Unowns or hatched a special and want to see who bred it. For those who do care, maybe it could just say "bred by Someone in Daycare" but it might be obvious if someone has only blocked say, 1 or 2 people.

Question 3

Q: - If a user blocks another user, it is fairly trivial to prevent most interactions just by blocking access to the Profile and Summary pages. However, it would not be feasible to block forum posts (as doing so can lead to crucial loss of context in a thread). This means the [pkmnpanel] cannot be blocked, and so interactions would be possible through there. How would you resolve this, bearing in mind that Interactions are already the most server-stressful feature of the site and adding more checks onto them is a Bad Idea™? A: So, I'm dumb and might be answering this incorrectly, but if straight up blocking forum posts can't be done, it might be easier and better to just 'hide' the forum post? Example: I block User A. User B makes a thread and User A posts in the thread looking to buy something. I visit User B's thread and see a "Blocked post" with the option to "Show" the post (Like Discord does with blocked messages). As for the pkmnpanel, I don't mind if someone is able to click my Pokémon using a panel, I'd just want them not to show up in my Clickback list, that way I won't know they even did it.

Question 4

Q: - Should a blocked user be able to buy items from the Marketboard put up for sale by the user who blocked them? Or vice versa? A: Yes, the Market is already anonymous and there's no way of telling who listed what items, this poses no issue for me since I literally wouldn't know who I purchased a Market item from.

Question 5

Q: - Should Wonder Trades be able to randomly pair you up with a user you have blocked? If not, additional checks will need to be added that could potentially result in Wonder Trades remaining unmatched, or worse it keeps trying to match you with the blocked user and never resolves. Since Wonder Trades can't be cancelled either, there's no way out of such a loop. A: This is kind of a tough one, I'd ideally like to say "I don't want to trade or Wonder Trade with someone I have blocked" but as it seems to be a tougher one to implement, if it keeps trying to match me with a blocked user, it might be best to just allow Wonder Trades to match me up with someone I've blocked, since it wouldn't be them trying to break a DNC, I could just release the Pokémon later.

Question 6

Q: - Some users may want blocking to result in the blocked user effectively "disappearing" from their gameplay experience. How would you reconcile this with the fact that Tournaments have a leaderboard with a limited number of places? A: I'd personally say, either censor the name or change the name to 'Someone' or 'Blocked User' but make it so the name is an unclickable link, so we can't go visit the person's profile to find out who it is? Example: I've blocked User A and User B, both of these users appear on the Leaderboard as either "*****", "Someone" or "Blocked User" User C has a name I can click on to get to their profile, User A and User B do not have a name I can click on since they are blocked. That way, if someone really doesn't wish to see a certain name, or get tempted to visit the profile, they don't have to.

Question 7

Q: - Same question for Pokérus. How would you handle someone wanting to hunt for Pokérus, only to find that a person they blocked currently has it? Remember they can't interact with them if they've blocked them. A: For me personally, I'd say just make them unable to interract with me if I have them blocked, they're blocked for a reason and it's only 15 minutes, they could click the next person. But as I understand this might not be possible to do, since it's a multiplayer game, if they can click me, I'd prefer it if their name just didn't appear in my Clickback list, that way I'll never know they even clicked me. Personally I'm not gonna visit everybody I have blocked just to see if they got Rus from me, or if they clicked me.

Site performance.

Niet: it is absolutely not reasonable to add extra database lookups to the Shelter page, for example. The Shelter is highly optimised to work the way it currently does, and adding a "block check" to that would slow it down by several orders of magnitude. All of that, for a less than 0.01% incidence. Similar logic applies to other parts. On the other hand, blocking the Profile page is super easy, barely an inconvenience. This is what I mean when I say it's about compromise. A: If blocking the profile page is really easy, then I'm for a compromise. I mentioned in my other answer that I didn't really care if I obtain a Shelter egg from someone I have blocked, since I barely check who bred it anyway.

Game mechanics.

Niet: Many of them can probably be "fixed" by just anonymising the blocked user's name. ***** can work quite well because that's what we already use for censoring inappropriate usernames, so technically you don't know if it's a blocked user on the Timeline, or just someone who named themselves something rude. That's a good idea. Niet: What I might be able to do is add a filter to the Clickback list, such that blocked users won't appear on it - but they can still interact with you. That way you can benefit from their interactions, without even being aware of it and without the need to reciprocate. However, this may need some kind of limitation on it to keep things reasonable performance-wise. There may need to be a cap on how many people you can block, just to ensure it doesn't become a performance issue again, but that cap should easily be higher than anything you'll actually need. A: I think anonymising the blocked user's name is a great idea, and I even answered a couple of the questions before answering this one with the same thing, which I'm certain a lot of people would want. A: I'd usually be against a cap, but if you have a rough estimate of how high the cap would be, I'd love to know! Personally I don't think I'm going to be blocking that many people, so I doubt I'd even be using up much of the cap at all, I do like the idea of a filter being added to the Clickback list, it's one of the things I want the most from this feature, if it's not possible to completely hide a profile from someone, then I'd at least prefer not knowing they ever interracted with me.
Cele's Response About Lag

Response

Cele: Blocking won't have as much of an impact on the site as you think, specifically because we are likely not going to add the most lag-inducing aspects such as Shelter filtering (re: making sure you don't encounter eggs bred by a blocked user). Asking Sally to check all 40 eggs for their OTs every time you refresh would just be too much especially given that the Shelter is an already resource-intensive feature. A: As I've stated in this post alone, a few times, I agree with this. If it would make the site lag even more by adding a "Blocked Person Filter" to the shelter, then I'd prefer it not be added, which seems it won't be added anyway, but you get what I mean. 100% up for leaving the Shelter as it is. I answered Niet's second question, ending the post with "For those who do care, maybe it could just say "bred by Someone in Daycare" but it might be obvious if someone has only blocked say, 1 or 2 people." but as it seems this might not be doable, (Asking Sally to check all eggs for the OT), then I'd still be fine with the compromise of just leaving the Shelter how it already is, especially if it would cause even more lag.
Cele's Second Response + Questions

Response + Questions.

Cele: The main intent of staff joining in this thread and trying to help it along was to request specific assistance in figuring out the conditions the roadblocks should have, trying to find a compromise between the "hard block where the blocked person(s) don't exist in my user experience at all" ideal and the reality of the situation where Sally can't take that amount of stress and we have to aim for a "soft block where the blocked person(s) still exist but where certain restrictions are imposed." Cele: Given that a block is not a report, then either blocks need to be accompanied by a report through the block function itself or via the usual reporting process. Cele: Q: At what points should the initial block be allowed to go through fully automated and at what points should the block require Moderator attention? Should Moderators have to fully review every block request as we review and act on reports or approve Clans to ensure people aren't being nasty, or should we only review for certain reasons/causes? Are you opposed to the suggestion entirely for reasons not yet stated? If so, why? A: I believe a block should always be allowed to just go through automatically, as not everybody has the same reason for blocking. For example, I could simply block someone for backing out of a trade agreement multiple times, I wouldn't want that to have to be put under a "pending approval" state as it creates more work for staff and is just a simple block. However, if I wish to block someone who I have been harrassed by, has harrassed my friends, has done something to me whether on site or off, I'd like the option to "Include a Report" so I can state why I am blocking the user, give reasons why I am blocking them, include evidence if I can, and then have the block go through regardless while staff look through the Report that has been made, to see if they can do anything about it. I think any block that has been made under the 'Harassment' 'Hate PMs' or other similar categories, should be reviewed by staff and encourage the user who has been harrassed to make a Report, while still allowing the block to go through.
I probably rambled or included non-important stuff in my answers, but I'm not that good at explaining, so I hope my answers make some sort of sense 0:

Avatar is my sona, drawn by Saapricots!
×7/1000

Vaporeon26's AvatarVaporeon26

long quote by Colorful

QUOTE originally posted by Colorful

Hello everyone! Now that we're unlocked, let's refocus back on what we want out of a block feature. Since it's tentatively confirmed that the block feature is going through, let's not worry ourselves too much with who wants and who doesn't want a block feature. Let's just work together to make sure this feature fits everyone's needs best. You are still welcome to voice your opinion if you do not want a block feature, but I'd request that we keep the discussion away from these things and just leave posts about not wanting a block feature alone.

As a reminder, here are some of the main points that the mods asked us to focus on and discuss. ( + Cele's post about lag, since it's still relevant to the conversation.) You can see all the important mod posts in the first post of this thread, as there are more.

Niet post 1 (MAIN POINTS HERE)

Okay, so now that we've established that you did indeed mean "basic", please provide answers to all of the following: - If a user has interacted with you before you blocked them, and then you block them, how should this affect the Clickback list of both the blocking user and the blocked user? - If a user has blocked another user, but then finds an Egg from the Shelter bred by the blocked user, should they be able to see it? Adopt it? What about its timeline? - If a user blocks another user, it is fairly trivial to prevent most interactions just by blocking access to the Profile and Summary pages. However, it would not be feasible to block forum posts (as doing so can lead to crucial loss of context in a thread). This means the [pkmnpanel] cannot be blocked, and so interactions would be possible through there. How would you resolve this, bearing in mind that Interactions are already the most server-stressful feature of the site and adding more checks onto them is a Bad Idea™? - Should a blocked user be able to buy items from the Marketboard put up for sale by the user who blocked them? Or vice versa? - Should Wonder Trades be able to randomly pair you up with a user you have blocked? If not, additional checks will need to be added that could potentially result in Wonder Trades remaining unmatched, or worse it keeps trying to match you with the blocked user and never resolves. Since Wonder Trades can't be cancelled either, there's no way out of such a loop. - Some users may want blocking to result in the blocked user effectively "disappearing" from their gameplay experience. How would you reconcile this with the fact that Tournaments have a leaderboard with a limited number of places? - Same question for Pokérus. How would you handle someone wanting to hunt for Pokérus, only to find that a person they blocked currently has it? Remember they can't interact with them if they've blocked them. I could go on, but these are the questions that must be answered before a block feature can be added to this multiplayer game.

Niet Post 2 (MAIN POINTS HERE)

I had to step away because I was getting... frustrated, I must admit. However, I think that was due to me not communicating my side of things well enough, so for that I must apologise to Mandibuzzard. I would like to try again and make things clearer. There are two issues at play here: 1. Site performance. As you may have noticed, the site already suffers from occasional lag spikes that refuse any attempt to diagnose or fix. It's something that's been a real thorn in my side. Or Lego brick under my foot. There are about 5k users who visited the site in the last 24 hours. That's a total of about 12.5 million possible inter-person links. Of those, I would estimate that maybe a few hundred to a thousand blocks would be made. After all, most people either get along just fine, or are content to ignore each other. Even if I generously round up the number of blocks, you're still looking at less than 0.01% of potential inter-person links being blocked. For such a tiny fraction, it is absolutely not reasonable to add extra database lookups to the Shelter page, for example. The Shelter is highly optimised to work the way it currently does, and adding a "block check" to that would slow it down by several orders of magnitude. All of that, for a less than 0.01% incidence. Similar logic applies to other parts. On the other hand, blocking the Profile page is super easy, barely an inconvenience. This is what I mean when I say it's about compromise. 2. Game mechanics. PFQ is a game where every user is massively inter-connected with every other user. Most features involve interaction with other players in some form. Every single one of them will need to be tweaked to account for possible blocks. Many of them can probably be "fixed" by just anonymising the blocked user's name. ***** can work quite well because that's what we already use for censoring inappropriate usernames, so technically you don't know if it's a blocked user on the Timeline, or just someone who named themselves something rude. That's a good idea. What I might be able to do is add a filter to the Clickback list, such that blocked users won't appear on it - but they can still interact with you. That way you can benefit from their interactions, without even being aware of it and without the need to reciprocate. However, this may need some kind of limitation on it to keep things reasonable performance-wise. There may need to be a cap on how many people you can block, just to ensure it doesn't become a performance issue again, but that cap should easily be higher than anything you'll actually need. In any case, my "push-back" here is really just to try and drill down and get at what people want from this feature. "A block feature would be nice," sure, but figuring out exactly what it'd be used for will help with implementation details later. EDIT: To add an example of why a limit would be needed to prevent performance issues. There was a person who accidentally crashed the site every time they logged on. Eventually I figured out that they were subscribed to over 1,000 threads and had been offline for a long time, so there were many, many new posts and the system was trying to notify them of it. But that involved loading the usernames of the people who had posted. That was too much, and the server ground to a halt. That's why your forum subscriptions are limited now.

Cele Post 1 (RE: LAG)

re: lag Blocking won't have as much of an impact on the site as you think, D33R, specifically because we are likely not going to add the most lag-inducing aspects such as Shelter filtering (re: making sure you don't encounter eggs bred by a blocked user). Asking Sally to check all 40 eggs for their OTs every time you refresh would just be too much especially given that the Shelter is an already resource-intensive feature. This has pretty much been deemed too lag-inducing for not enough benefit to be practical. There's already less than a 1% chance you'll run into an egg hatched by someone you've blocked simply due to the sheer number of eggs in the Shelter. That's why "but the lag" is largely a non-point -- it's simply unlikely that this or other major lag-causers would be added to the block feature due to this exact concern. Those features would need to provide a benefit that is applicable to enough people and/or in enough instances to be worth it vs the server system's resources used or otherwise occupied by those processes. So, please do not use lag as a reason to not support this. Niet can make things work and will do whatever is possible to minimize the impact it has on the site in terms of lag. Don't worry about the implementation of it, and just stick to the pros and cons of the block feature itself and the features that you would like to see accompanying it.

Cele Post 2 (RE-FOCUSING THREAD)

Not editing this into my previous post since I want it to push a notif to anyone subbed. I'd really appreciate it if y'all took the time to read this! As a foreword, some things I'm going to say here are going to be in response to specific users and other things will be points I'm just bringing up because they need attention. I'm not quoting those users because this post is already long enough as it is and I believe I managed to make the point well enough without needing the context of those posts. Please let me know if that's not the case and I'll figure out... something.
There seems to be a widespread assumption that this is a simple thing that can just be done. As someone who's sat in call and watched Niet code in real time, he is better at this especially in the present day than he's given due credit for. While I said don't worry too much about things like lag, there are still things we have to keep in mind, also in regards to lag itself. Don't allow "lag" to be a prohibitive point that causes you to oppose this suggestion. Just remember that the features of the site stack on top of each other, intersect at different places, and branch off in other ways. This is true of a lot of complex coding projects. It's not even really a tree anymore, it's a straight up spiderweb simply due to the extent of it, where different parts rejoin and branch off again somewhere else down the line. Now, in terms of adding a block feature to this spiderweb, it's like adding roadblocks. You find a point in the spiderweb where you're like "I want this to no longer be an option for people who are blocked," but then you have to consider the likely many ways they can get around that via other paths in the web. This ties back to something I said previously that I would like to clarify. Any process Sally does will cause some amount of "lag" in that it simply takes some measure of time in order to complete. Whether that amount of time is efficient, negligible enough to be acceptable, and/or worth it for the benefit that is gained determines whether or not it's particularly "laggy" for the server or just par for the course, even if that time is measured in fractions of a second or even fractions of a millisecond. They add up quickly and become several seconds in total, enough to be noticeable, when Sally has to do a lot of searches and cross-referencing, such as for keeping track of which part of the spiderweb you're at, whether or not there is a roadblock, and the conditions that that roadblock imposes. This is in addition to everything Sally already does. The main intent of staff joining in this thread and trying to help it along was to request specific assistance in figuring out the conditions the roadblocks should have, trying to find a compromise between the "hard block where the blocked person(s) don't exist in my user experience at all" ideal and the reality of the situation where Sally can't take that amount of stress and we have to aim for a "soft block where the blocked person(s) still exist but where certain restrictions are imposed." There's also still ongoing evaluation on whether or not this is at all possible given what PFQ is and whether or not this is a feature that would have to be put exclusively on "PFNew" (affectionate nickname). If at all, mind. We're trying to meet with you guys somewhere in the middle but we want help finding where that point is. To that end, I'd like to request that we refocus on the suggestion itself and especially in answering Niet's concerns in his two posts starting here. I understand that some discussion has occurred on these points, but ultimately this is where the focus is further needed. If you understand the concerns Niet posed here, what are your own ideas for solutions to it? Given that a block is not a report, then either blocks need to be accompanied by a report through the block function itself or via the usual reporting process. This has basically been established, and the mock-up for this looked pretty nice. There's some questions, though. At what points should the initial block be allowed to go through fully automated and at what points should the block require Moderator attention? Should Moderators have to fully review every block request as we review and act on reports or approve Clans to ensure people aren't being nasty, or should we only review for certain reasons/causes? Are you opposed to the suggestion entirely for reasons not yet stated? If so, why? You do actually already have the autonomy and power to "block" users if you wish. You can use the features of browsers such as Google Chrome in order to "block" users by preventing the page from loading if it is a specific URL, such as a specific user page or specific PM conversation. This would not block the user on multi-profile or click lists, and the other user would still be visible in the forums, but this option is available to anyone who seeks these specific options. I'd also like to point on that blocking someone actually doesn't do really anything to de-escalate the situation (except perhaps in cases where that is your only point of contact), and in fact often serves to exacerbate the issue by allowing it to move off-site. This isn't victim-blaming, mind, it's just the truth about how some particularly nasty folks on the receiving end of a block may choose to act. It's also the reason why we would prefer, for example, child predator concerns be reported as early as possible - it's less so "it's your fault if they move on to harass someone else," and more so "we would prefer to stop this as soon as possible so that doing this to someone else is not an option that the offender has." We want there to be less victims of child predators, harassment, bullying, thefts, and so on, so we request that you report any concerning instances immediately. It has been noted that DNI for "Do Not Interact" seems to be a popular acronym in this thread and I've seen it on Trainer Cards in the recent past, but I would like to firmly request everyone discontinue the use of this acronym and instead use DNC for "Do Not Contact." As a Moderator who has had to enforce DNCs and had to tell people that I cannot enforce DNIs, I'll explain why. Due to the in-game mechanic of clicking being called "making interactions" and the fact there is an entire page of the site called the Interactions page (or "Today's Interactions" if you go by the header of the page), the concept of DNI itself becomes unclear. Are you asking for them not to contact you in any way (PMs, trade threads, etc.), or are you just asking them not to click your Pokemon? Given that Site Rule 2A says that people can click however they want
I cannot, as a Moderator, enforce that someone not click you. You can ask that they not do so. They simply aren't obligated per the rules to comply.
and due to the unclearness of DNI as a concept for the aforementioned reason, I cannot enforce a DNI given that not everyone will understand this caveat. I know it seems a bit pedantic but please, please say DNC instead. As an addendum to this, non-personal DNCs such as in TCs are unenforceable because there's no guarantee someone will see it - please use the PM function to make Do Not Contact requests. Remember to keep them polite. Moving on from that, someone brought up the laws on discrimination. To clarify on these laws, in both in America as well as in the UK, you cannot deny service based on discriminatory reasons (race, sex, sexual orientation, religion or beliefs even including political beliefs
eg. you can't bar them because they're a conservative, liberal, democrat, tory, etc.
, etc.). If you have a non-discriminatory reason, you can deny service. If you wish to deny service and provide no reasoning for it, you can do so. However, if your reason comes to light and it's discriminatory, you can be sued and held liable in the UK. Anyone remember the gay Colorado couple who just wanted to order a cake and got refused service? That's illegal in Colorado, much like it would have been illegal if it had happened in the UK. We operate fairly similarly on PFQ since we go by UK law - it's not exactly the same though. You can refuse service in your Trade Shops and threads to whomever you like and for whatever reason you like, just keep the reasoning to yourself or at least address it respectfully in private. DNCs aren't much different. You can request that someone never contact you again in any way and not provide a reason. They are obligated to comply, else they face consequences per the rules on general respect (Rule 2B). Anyone breaking a DNC should be reported - the only response you should ever receive to a DNC is the other person's acknowledgement that they see and/or accept it. Nothing else.
I'll leave the thread locked while I sleep tonight to give folks time to read this so it doesn't get flooded out, and then I'll unlock the thread in the morning. Edit: Apologies for the late unlock; today got a bit hectic. Please feel free to continue the discussion. Be kind to each other. 🙂

And now, this is the part where I have questions! These are directed towards staff -- please do not answer these questions for staff. 1.) Is this feature actually confirmed? We've had two instances of mentioning that the staff "doesn't need convincing" of this feature, but no offical statements about this feature going in. 1a.) If this feature is confirmed, could we be moved to the approved features section? 1b.) If this feature is confirmed, would it be possible for us to get a link to this thread somewhere in the news? I know this is asking a lot (and potentially inviting more discourse), but I feel like it's worth it to get more opinions from members who typically do not check the suggestions, or wouldn't otherwise be aware of this feature coming into existence. 2.) As far as I can tell, all of the talking points in Niet & Cele's posts have been answered at least two or three times. Do you want more discussion from other players on these points, or do you have other points for us to talk about? I suppose that wasn't as many questions as I thought I had, but hopefully these questions being answered will provide me & other members some peace of mind & clarity.
Not trying to answer for the staff but Garthic had said that they did have an approved version of a block feature but they’re still working out the kinks it seems

Long quote

QUOTE originally posted by Garthic

I just want to drop in and say that we did have an approved version of a block feature before but we couldn't figure out how to implement it - aside from some interactive issues (which we can now deal with) there was the question of exactly what it is we want a block to do - but moreover that a block feature of any kind should NOT function as a disconnect for reports. But it's also not a report. It's... Complicated. We have a generic idea but for the most part those are our issues. We don't want it to lead to no reports so we can actually deal with things (such as the fellow that we learned was placed on probation for his actions). I will say that our active role in this is probably the most important thing... We've been so active in dealing with these things but I wish I could say the same for the police and even the FBI. We were so adamant to report such issues that at one point we were given Interpol's phone number. Interpol is NOT a number civilians are supposed to have! That's a number for international police forces to talk to one another and we're... Well, not police. And we were told as much when they asked us to identify ourselves. That was admittedly a little bit scary. Honestly the fact we got that number is a little bit alarming - either someone screwed up and just did the wrong thing or they plain and simple didn't know what to do... My point with that being that if they won't, or can't for whatever reason, do something - we definitely have to. This is why we can't have that disconnect. If we can resolve that problem then a block feature is no longer an issue and can be implemented post-haste.
Avatar credit can be found in my journal under the art tabs
signature by Kattscribbles, with help from Wardove. Official Pokemon Art
Neonyan's AvatarNeonyan
From the wording of that quote, I had thought they meant there was previously (as in, like in the past before my thread) an approved version of the block feature, and they are only now re-looking into it because they believe they could fix some of it. That is just my interpretation of that quote, though, idk for sure!
carinae's Avatarcarinae
hi i'm not too good at explaining things, feel free to ask for clarification! these are just my personal opinions of how i'd like it to be implemented c:

q: If a user has interacted with you before you blocked them, and then you block them, how should this affect the Clickback list of both the blocking user and the blocked user? a: i'd like to not see the blocked user in my clickback, it would be fine for the blocker to appear in the blocked user's "sent" list.

q: If a user has blocked another user, but then finds an Egg from the Shelter bred by the blocked user, should they be able to see it? Adopt it? What about its timeline? a: hmm, it would be possible for the blocker to see and adopt the egg, the timeline would say " bred in daycare by *****".

q: If a user blocks another user, it is fairly trivial to prevent most interactions just by blocking access to the Profile and Summary pages. However, it would not be feasible to block forum posts (as doing so can lead to crucial loss of context in a thread). This means the [pkmnpanel] cannot be blocked, and so interactions would be possible through there. How would you resolve this, bearing in mind that Interactions are already the most server-stressful feature of the site and adding more checks onto them is a Bad Idea™? a: the blocked user can click the blocker, see answer to question 1. if the blocker can see the pkmnpanel, they can check whose pokemon it is before clicking ("*****"). i know this might be a bit more work for those who just automatically go to click pkmnpanels, but it's probably bearable.

q: Should a blocked user be able to buy items from the Marketboard put up for sale by the user who blocked them? Or vice versa? a: yes, i agree with doduo, the market is anon so you wouldn't know.

q: Should Wonder Trades be able to randomly pair you up with a user you have blocked? If not, additional checks will need to be added that could potentially result in Wonder Trades remaining unmatched, or worse it keeps trying to match you with the blocked user and never resolves. Since Wonder Trades can't be cancelled either, there's no way out of such a loop. a: aaah, i would prefer to not be able to trade with the blocked user at all, but if this breaks the system somehow (we could wait for some other people to come online and wt i guess?), having "*****" in the timeline would be fine.

q: Some users may want blocking to result in the blocked user effectively "disappearing" from their gameplay experience. How would you reconcile this with the fact that Tournaments have a leaderboard with a limited number of places? a: again, i think "*****" would be fine when the blocked user is shown anywhere!

q: Same question for Pokérus. How would you handle someone wanting to hunt for Pokérus, only to find that a person they blocked currently has it? Remember they can't interact with them if they've blocked them. a: 15 minutes isn't too long, they could just wait out the blocked user's pkrs.
may edit this later.
elliot • they/them quit, dm xim#7352 if you need me
Neonyan's AvatarNeonyan
You know, I spent so much time trying to keep up with the thread (maintenance wise and moderating wise), that I don't think I've ever properly written down my personal answers to the prompts that mods asked. So I'm going to do that now! Also; I copied the below accordion hidebox(es) with the questions in place, and an empty place to put your answer, and pasted it in the first post. You can use this like a template to fill in with your own answers! You can find this in the first post of this thread, under the Announcements tab.

Question #1

Question;

If a user has interacted with you before you blocked them, and then you block them, how should this affect the Clickback list of both the blocking user and the blocked user? Originally posted by Niet

Personal Answer;

I would prefer that you cannot see the person you've blocked's username on your click-back list. In my mind, this would expand to the interactions page as well. I would also settle/be happy with their name showing up, but being censored with ****s. The person who has been blocked would not be affected. They can still see that they've sent you interactions, and if you, for some reason, interact with them, they can still see it. Both on their clickbacks, and interactions page.

Question #2

Question;

If a user has blocked another user, but then finds an Egg from the Shelter bred by the blocked user, should they be able to see it? Adopt it? What about its timeline? Originally posted by Niet

Personal Answer;

Best case scenario for me would be that yes, you can see this egg & adopt this egg. It's timeline would be ***'d out, though.

Question #3

Question;

If a user blocks another user, it is fairly trivial to prevent most interactions just by blocking access to the Profile and Summary pages. However, it would not be feasible to block forum posts (as doing so can lead to crucial loss of context in a thread). This means the [pkmnpanel] cannot be blocked, and so interactions would be possible through there. How would you resolve this, bearing in mind that Interactions are already the most server-stressful feature of the site and adding more checks onto them is a Bad Idea™? Originally posted by Niet

Personal Answer;

I believe this was posted before my version 2.0, which proposes that interactions would not be blocked in any way.

Question #4

Question;

Should a blocked user be able to buy items from the Marketboard put up for sale by the user who blocked them? Or vice versa? Originally posted by Niet

Personal Answer;

Yes, blocked users and users who do blocking should be able to buy and sell from one another using the marketboard. The marketboard is anonymous to begin with, and items don't have timelines; there is zero reason to complicate things.

Question #5

Question;

Should Wonder Trades be able to randomly pair you up with a user you have blocked? If not, additional checks will need to be added that could potentially result in Wonder Trades remaining unmatched, or worse it keeps trying to match you with the blocked user and never resolves. Since Wonder Trades can't be cancelled either, there's no way out of such a loop. Originally posted by Niet

Personal Answer;

This is tough for me. In an ideal world, I would not be paired up with someone I've blocked in Wonder Trade. However, it's clear that there are issues with that concept. If this is too laggy / impossible, I would prefer that we simply have any Pokemon traded to us by a blocked user have said blocked user ***'d out in the timeline.

Question #6

Question;

Some users may want blocking to result in the blocked user effectively "disappearing" from their gameplay experience. How would you reconcile this with the fact that Tournaments have a leaderboard with a limited number of places? Originally posted by Niet

Personal Answer;

As much as I wish that blocking would just make someone vanish from my life entirelly, that's not how that works. A simple fix to this would be, again, to simply *** out the user's name.

Question #7

Question;

Same question for Pokérus. How would you handle someone wanting to hunt for Pokérus, only to find that a person they blocked currently has it? Remember they can't interact with them if they've blocked them. Originally posted by Niet

Personal Answer;

Once again; this post was made before version 2.0. They would both still be able to interact with one another. If you block a user, and they have Pokerus, clicking on the Pokerus button while they have it would trigger a pop up, saying "A user you have blocked currently has Pokerus. Continue?" Upon clicking yes, you're taken to their profile. Their username, about me, and trainer card would be ***'d out. If you are blocked by someone with pokerus... nothing happens for you. This is simply my preference, but obviously some things can be bent around here.

Longer Question #1

Question;

1. Site performance. As you may have noticed, the site already suffers from occasional lag spikes that refuse any attempt to diagnose or fix. It's something that's been a real thorn in my side. Or Lego brick under my foot. There are about 5k users who visited the site in the last 24 hours. That's a total of about 12.5 million possible inter-person links. Of those, I would estimate that maybe a few hundred to a thousand blocks would be made. After all, most people either get along just fine, or are content to ignore each other. Even if I generously round up the number of blocks, you're still looking at less than 0.01% of potential inter-person links being blocked. For such a tiny fraction, it is absolutely not reasonable to add extra database lookups to the Shelter page, for example. The Shelter is highly optimised to work the way it currently does, and adding a "block check" to that would slow it down by several orders of magnitude. All of that, for a less than 0.01% incidence. Similar logic applies to other parts. On the other hand, blocking the Profile page is super easy, barely an inconvenience. This is what I mean when I say it's about compromise. Originally posted by Niet

Personal Answer;

Once again, this post was made before my version 2.0 was posted. Users would still be able to interact with one another, and many people, including myself, have expressed since that they do not mind coming across a blocked user's egg or Pokemon.

Longer Question #2

Question;

2. Game mechanics. PFQ is a game where every user is massively inter-connected with every other user. Most features involve interaction with other players in some form. Every single one of them will need to be tweaked to account for possible blocks. Many of them can probably be "fixed" by just anonymising the blocked user's name. ***** can work quite well because that's what we already use for censoring inappropriate usernames, so technically you don't know if it's a blocked user on the Timeline, or just someone who named themselves something rude. That's a good idea. What I might be able to do is add a filter to the Clickback list, such that blocked users won't appear on it - but they can still interact with you. That way you can benefit from their interactions, without even being aware of it and without the need to reciprocate. However, this may need some kind of limitation on it to keep things reasonable performance-wise. There may need to be a cap on how many people you can block, just to ensure it doesn't become a performance issue again, but that cap should easily be higher than anything you'll actually need. Originally posted by Niet

Personal Answer;

I would agree that a cap makes sense -- PFQ relies on interactions, and limiting those interactions is... difficult, to say the least. It's better and easier to avoid that kind of restriction. As for a blocking limit -- my first instinct is to say 100 people. That's a fair amount -- I can see some people hitting it, but they really do not need more then that. I personally would see myself blocking 20-30 people at most, and then being done completely. That extra 80-70 people is fallback, like you mentioned, to help cap out those who might be a little... overzealous with the block feature. Sidenote; I could personally see it being lowered to 50 if really needed, but its good to have options open if possible, imo.
Neonyan's AvatarNeonyan
Bump! Also, would love to get some answers on the questions I asked a few posts ago to the staff, if anyone on there has time ^^'

Pages: 123··· 5354555657··· 858687

Cannot post: Please log in to post

© PokéFarm 2009-2024 (Full details)Contact | Rules | Privacy | Reviews 4.6★Get shortlink for this page