PFQ Banner

This is PokéFarm Q, a free online Pokémon collectables game.

Already a user? New to PFQ?

Implementing A 'Block' Feature

Forum Index > Core > Suggestions > Under Consideration >

Pages: 123··· 2526272829··· 858687

Cele's AvatarCele
re: lag Blocking won't have as much of an impact on the site as you think, D33R, specifically because we are likely not going to add the most lag-inducing aspects such as Shelter filtering (re: making sure you don't encounter eggs bred by a blocked user). Asking Sally to check all 40 eggs for their OTs every time you refresh would just be too much especially given that the Shelter is an already resource-intensive feature. This has pretty much been deemed too lag-inducing for not enough benefit to be practical. There's already less than a 1% chance you'll run into an egg hatched by someone you've blocked simply due to the sheer number of eggs in the Shelter. That's why "but the lag" is largely a non-point -- it's simply unlikely that this or other major lag-causers would be added to the block feature due to this exact concern. Those features would need to provide a benefit that is applicable to enough people and/or in enough instances to be worth it vs the server system's resources used or otherwise occupied by those processes. So, please do not use lag as a reason to not support this. Niet can make things work and will do whatever is possible to minimize the impact it has on the site in terms of lag. Don't worry about the implementation of it, and just stick to the pros and cons of the block feature itself and the features that you would like to see accompanying it.
sig code and sig bg image made by me
Miraidøn's AvatarMiraidøn

QUOTE originally posted by mikestarprince

i cannot agree with the argument of "just use css". why should you have to mod a game in order to enjoy it?
I play via mobile only bc I am in a situation where I cannot afford a computer and a monthly wifi bill on top of all my other bills. I can't use the tampermonkey CSS like I wish I could and I don't think I could just apply the CSS to my site skin either. I agree with Mike because one, not all kids have the computer literacy to be able to do the multiple steps it takes to use the tampermonkey code (let alone report or understand the bugs it has, and I follow the thread for the code and i know bugs are reported almost daily) and two, there are people who only play mobile whether it be by choice or by circumstance who do not have the option to use the code.
percy
or whiims
/ 26
jan 17th
/ they/them naughty collector / ingo enthusiast
i usually don't make trade threads for selling my specials till i get about 20 or so saved up but don't be afraid to shoot me a pm if you see anything in my uft field you want!
credit
Background from Pokemon Anime Icon by Me F2U code by Gumshoe
Szarkai's AvatarSzarkai

QUOTE originally posted by Cyndalavosion

Whit's post

QUOTE originally posted by Whit

No support. Listen: I'm a minority. I'm Jewish, Trans and disabled. I've also been abused and cyberbullied. Blocking is NOT an answer to this problem. Blocking does nothing against racism, homophobia, transphobia and ableism. Blocking is just plugging your ears and going-- 'lalala, i'm not listening.' Use your words, sort things out like an adult, or use the report button. Blocking WILL be used and abused for petty reasons if it's implemented, and people WILL end up getting hurt over it. People will use blocks just because they're offended, not because they're genuinely hurt like the intended use is for. If it's not a reportable offense, it's not really even an offense. Just get a chrome extention to filter out 'ALM' if you're that sensitive to other opinions, plenty of them exist.
Hope I'm not being rude saying this, but you saying that you got bullied, and then saying you'd rather face the bullying than have an option to not deal with it, seems kind of... wrong? To me? Not that you'd rather face it, kudos to you! Not everyone is able/willing, so it's good that you managed to do this! However! Not everyone, again, is able/willing, so it shouldn't be forced upon others to have to deal with it rather than just "plugging your ears" imo. It's also kind of naïve to saying to just use your words and sort it out like an adult. This requires both parties to be willing to sit down and do this, and the odds of that happening on a lot of situations is just... slim at best. I want a block feature for literally nothing related to any of the ongoing happenings, I just don't enjoy seeing and having the chance to interact with people that make me uncomfortable. -shrug- I dislike, this is meant in general not just to you but you did mention it so o3o, people just coming and assuming that a block feature will be """abused""" for petty reasons and people will get hurt. This assumption is going to screw over a lot of the users onsite that don't want to block people for petty reasons, but rather because they've been heavily wronged by a person, either on or offsite, and don't want to need to deal with seeing them. That falls into both offended and hurt by someone, in my eyes, which BOTH seem like valid reasons to block someone. You can't win everyones favor, you can't make everyone like you, and that's fine, but I shouldn't need to deal with people that spread lies and cause me issues because they dislike me, you know? I shouldn't need to deal with knowing someone I dislike is present on a site I'm just trying to chill on, and the block feature gives me the /choice/ to not have to know. If there weren't a choice, then it'd be a simple, yet unfortunate, case of "suck it up" but there is a choice and I don't think we should just ignore that because of the potential for people to use this incorrectly. I also dislike the idea that if it's not reportable it's not offensive. People are surprisingly good at "vaguing" which is the concept of making a jab at someone without making it obvious to whom you are being disrespectful to. It might be obvious to the intended target, but to staff it could seem like something very random that won't lead to any action being taken. What about if it's offsite too? Am I supposed to report someone and get something done when it's nothing to do with the site at all whatsoever? You specifically mention "ALM" so I'm not sure if your statement was in regards to that and only that or everything one might find offensive but, it still feels a little close-minded I feel :/

Whit/Believe's posts

QUOTE originally posted by BELIEVE

Hopefully my reply doesnt sound like I'm simply trying to be argumentative , as that's not my intention. I might just be nitpicky , but saying to 'sort things out like an adult' on a site intended for children doesnt seem like the best idea. Blocking is quite literally so that you don't have to see , listen to , or overall interact with the person being blocked. If a person is hurt that they've been blocked , I feel the question would be how they know they've been blocked , as I dont believe telling them is really the best solution? ["Hey you've been blocked by 'user' !"would just stir up issues imo] To say that if it's not reportable , it's not an offense is really harsh imo. Again , as a site intended for children , I dont think minors should have to go out of their way just to feel comfortable or safe on a website that should already provide this , much less simply deal with it.
Also not trying to argue, just making things a bit clearer as I admit I was a tad harsh. I, personally, would feel less safe with a block feature than without one. When I was a child I was often bullied and excluded, and block features only encourage cliques and exclusion. I feel it's in the best interest of everyone, including minors, if we were all pushed to get along and play nice with eachother. This includes playing a game with others who disagree with you or hold other opinions. This includes playing a game with people who 'give you bad vibes' or offend you. I was the weird kid. I was the kid everyone ignored. I was the one who gave off the 'bad vibes' despite having good intentions and never breaking any rules. But people said, 'no, you can't play with me.' and that hurt. And it traumatized me. Block features allow this to happen. If it's genuine abuse or bullying, staff can and will take care of it. However, if we allow blocking for any reason- it will be used for reasons such as petty disagreements, 'bad vibes' and 'they make me uncomfortable' with no concrete wrongdoing, like how the feature is socially abused on other sites with block features. This has disastrous implications in a game that requires everyone to be able to interact with everyone for a fair chance. If one person blocks another, it's no big deal, but it can snowball. Friend groups and cliques exist on every site, and before you know it you'll have one user blocked by a signifigant amount of active players, thus completely harming their playability. If you don't want to see someone's profile, there's custom CSS for that. If you don't want to see certian terms, there's chrome extensions for that. We don't need to make it harder on staff NOR do we need to open up a pandora's box of abuse and hurt.
@ What Believe said; Agreed, but my point of view expands towards everyone regardless of age. I see where you're coming from with it being a children's site, but the fact of the matter is all ages play and not all ages are capable/willing of being respectful. Unfortunately. @ What Whit said; I don't entirely understand how you'd feel less safe with a block feature ^^; I apologize but I just... can't really picture how that'd be the case. Block features encourage not needing to deal with people you don't want to deal with, if someone blocks you but you don't block them, well. Better off honestly. I'm sure people will end up getting blocked without doing anything, but the silver lining to that is that's 1 less person to be fake with you or something, to cause you issues or to make you uncomfortable in the end. It feels like a win-win situation, in my opinion. You can't just not let anyone block anybody and just make them get along, that's not how it works. Block features don't really allow others to get shunned, that's just rude people. It's probably not going to be a *popular* opinion, but my opinion on this is what I said above, it feels like a win-win situation. If you get blocked by someone, then that's just another person you don't need to deal with being rude/fake/disrespectful. There's hundreds of thousands of players on here, you'll definitely find someone much better and much nicer. Taking away a block button because of what might happen, or because of what a rude individual might do, seems like you'd be letting them win, because unfortunately, rude people can and will always find a way to do just that. To be rude. Nip it in the bud, block them, or if they block you then that's still solved. I don't think I'd be offended if someone blocked me, it'd save me the trouble of needing to find out the hard way that's not someone I want in my life. "If it's genuine abuse or bullying, staff can and will take care of it. However, if we allow blocking for any reason- it will be used for reasons such as petty disagreements, 'bad vibes' and 'they make me uncomfortable' with no concrete wrongdoing, like how the feature is socially abused on other sites with block features." Staff can't handle everything. It's the sad truth, it'd be simpler if they could but they can't. I feel like you think staff can and that's why we don't need this but.. they can't, so we do need this. :c "If one person blocks another, it's no big deal, but it can snowball. Friend groups and cliques exist on every site, and before you know it you'll have one user blocked by a signifigant amount of active players, thus completely harming their playability. " Friend groups blocking a single person likely mean that said friend group already had a poor opinion on that person, even if not everyone in the group interacted with them, it's how people can be. I'd like to think people aren't causing major issues for a single person cause they dislike them, and thus push that dislike for said person onto their friends, I wouldn't force my friends to start disliking someone I do, but honestly in this scenario if that happens and if an entire friend group blocked you, or me, or someone else, it's really just. Again, you're better off without them? I'd willingly sacrifice my ability to click people that try to cause me harm, and thus not be able to click. I don't want to click badly enough to deal with that hate.
Please do not invalidate my experience. In my experience with exclusion and harassment, both were painful, but exclusion was exponentially more painful than harassment. I'll be open and honest about this: There is a now-inactive user on Pokefarm that harassed me to a near s*cide attempt when I was only 14. I came across their profile a year ago, and while it did trigger bad memories, I ultimately just clicked the 'next' button. If I can do it-- as a person with anxiety, autism, ptsd, and more, I believe the general public will be able to do it. I don't like people using their past experiences as a excuse to open a gateway to mistreating other people. This may be narrow minded of me, but... it's my opinion and I'm entitled to it. Again, I feel less safe with a block feature because exclusion is more painful than direct harassment. With the proper coping skills, direct harassment is more easy to handle. You can laugh at all the effort they're taking to hurt you, you can rise above it and feel superior. You can't escape that way with a click of a button to be silenced. And that's what this is, silencing people: This may be a UK based site but I'm rather sure they still have the concept of free speech there. "even if not everyone in the group interacted with them, it's how people can be." It's not just or fair to censor a person you've never even interacted with or given a chance. "You're better off without them." Not nessecarily, especially not on an interaction or community based site. If mods can't handle the workload, then just hire more mods. I'm sure plenty will be willing to volunteer their time even. One solution I can think of that could be a compromise is to make blocks have an expiration, make them temporary, but-- this might overload Sally, so I'm not sure. Ultimately, i'd rather deal with someone fake than someone who won't give me a chance. I'm a firm believe that exposure leads to growth and 'safe spaces' encourage stagnation. You need to face trouble in order to overcome it and learn social skills, which is something we should be encouraging in all ages. I've been in therapy for years and talking things out is how you get things fixed. We should push people to do just that, instead of allowing them an easy way out that will silence and harm in the process. Posts merged by staff.

QUOTE originally posted by whiimsicøtt

i cannot agree with the argument of "just use css". why should you have to mod a game in order to enjoy it?
I play via mobile only bc I am in a situation where I cannot afford a computer and a monthly wifi bill on top of all my other bills. I can't use the tampermonkey CSS like I wish I could and I don't think I could just apply the CSS to my site skin either. I agree with Mike because one, not all kids have the computer literacy to be able to do the multiple steps it takes to use the tampermonkey code (let alone report or understand the bugs it has, and I follow the thread for the code and i know bugs are reported almost daily) and two, there are people who only play mobile whether it be by choice or by circumstance who do not have the option to use the code.
Custom CSS like described in this thread is easy to implement on mobile, even for the computer-illiterate. It does work injected into skins: That's how I use it.

QUOTE originally posted by CottonEevee

I would just like to say, since I've seen a lot of it- Saying that some people should "grow up and be an adult" is not right. You can't force someone to hunch their shoulders back and handle the situation themselves. It is a skil that children should learneventually, but seeing as this is a child-friendly site, children play on here, and some may have difficulty doing that, even with a parent around. And not just kids, but ids of all ages. I won't disagree with the fact that blocking people for petty things could (and probably will)create hurt feelings and exclusion. It's a pretty obvious outcome. The thing is, some people may just feel uncomfortable with certain people or not want to interact with them due to a conflict in the past. A likely counter: "Just ignore them, then!" What if THEY contact YOU? "Again, ignore them! If it becomes reportable, just report them." It's not easy just to"ignore them". Some people(like me) find it irksome to get PMs or random trades from someone you don't want to see, or sending/recieving interactions to/from someone you don't want to click or get clicked by. I agree that blocking them would still create hurt feelings, so I'm gonna see if someone else could think of a solution/end to my post.
It actually is that easy to just ignore them. All it takes is a pinch of self control and a click of the 'next' button. Or, you could use your words and say 'please leave me be.' And if they send repeated messages after that, you can report them for harassment. Just because you find something 'irksome' does NOT give you the right to censor someone or affect their gameplay. Perhaps a solution would be an option to close incoming trade requests/pms? This would be across the board, so no one feels left out or individually targeted.
Miraidøn's AvatarMiraidøn

QUOTE originally posted by whiimsicøtt

Custom CSS like described in this thread is easy to implement on mobile, even for the computer-illiterate. It does work injected into skins: That's how I use it.
Now that I know this I'll definitely looking into using at as I need some of the features lol so thanks. Edit: Even though I say this and plan on modding my game, I still stand by what Mike said about how you shouldn't need to mods to enjoy the game.

I'll be open and honest about this: There is a now-inactive user on Pokefarm that harassed me to a near s*cide attempt when I was only 14. I came across their profile a year ago, and while it did trigger bad memories, I ultimately just clicked the 'next' button. If I can do it-- as a person with anxiety, autism, ptsd, and more, I believe the general public will be able to do it. I don't like people using their past experiences as a excuse to open a gateway to mistreating other people. This may be narrow minded of me, but... it's my opinion and I'm entitled to it. Again, I feel less safe with a block feature because exclusion is more painful than direct harassment. With the proper coping skills, direct harassment is more easy to handle. You can laugh at all the effort they're taking to hurt you, you can rise above it and feel superior. You can't escape that way with a click of a button to be silenced. And that's what this is, silencing people: This may be a UK based site but I'm rather sure they still have the concept of free speech there.
I'm just going to make my point short and concise but your experience with being to able to just 'click next' is not universal. I'm not saying that I'm not able to but I don't think it's fair if I as someone who could just click next to just speak for thousands of other people, some minors, by saying "if I can do it, anyone can learn to do it too". I'm not going to list off all the stuff that makes my brain tick the way it does but I'm not going to sit here and tell you that what makes yours tick is trivial. Because it's not. But you also shouldn't expect others to just grow a thicker skin. It's not realistic to apply the way you work to everyone and I'm sorry exclusion hurt you. Everyone deserves the autonomy to curate their online experience via a block button. Edit 2: I almost forgot to mention that freedom of speech is not a rule here but I think it's only mentioned in journal rules.
matecocido's Avatarmatecocido
look. your experience isn't invalidated, but you had to learn to sort things out the hard way. I'm 14 years old and mature enough to take care of my problems, but what about all those 8, 9, 10-year-olds playing this game ? do you want them to have to learn to act like an adult when they are only 8 ? my little brother is 9 and if he had to do this he wouldn't get over it. he is very very sensitive. I dont want other kids his age to suffer through it. it is not easy to ignore people, specially when they send negative messages to you and you can't do anything but ""ignore them"". you have gone through a lot and /now/, that you are 21, you can just click next, but others won't because they are more sensitive, more scared, or for any reason, and they are also valid. if you scroll up and check people's profiles, you'll see some of this people are 9-10 year olds. some are even arguing against you. so try thinking how would you feel if when you were younger you had the option to block that person harassing you. like also said before, i disagree with having to use a css to not see others, you have to change the game yourself to be able to play in peace.
»» NO PMS PLEASE !! «« * * * *
Szarkai's AvatarSzarkai

QUOTE originally posted by Colorful

I may imput more on this later, but please try not to double post ^^
Sorry about that! ^^;

QUOTE originally posted by matecocido

look. your experience isn't invalidated, but you had to learn to sort things out the hard way. I'm 14 years old and mature enough to take care of my problems, but what about all those 8, 9, 10-year-olds playing this game ? do you want them to have to learn to act like an adult when they are only 8 ? my little brother is 9 and if he had to do this he wouldn't get over it. he is very very sensitive. I dont want other kids his age to suffer through it. it is not easy to ignore people, specially when they send negative messages to you and you can't do anything but ""ignore them"". you have gone through a lot and /now/, that you are 21, you can just click next, but others won't because they are more sensitive, more scared, or for any reason, and they are also valid. if you scroll up and check people's profiles, you'll see some of this people are 9-10 year olds. some are even arguing against you. so try thinking how would you feel if when you were younger you had the option to block that person harassing you. like also said before, i disagree with having to use a css to not see others, you have to change the game yourself to be able to play in peace.
I change the game for ease of access, not for peace- it's just coincindence the same script I use to stack the click buttons also hides profiles. Please take a moment to think of how you'd react at 8, 9 or 10 being excluded and blocked for little to no reason. This comes down to who gets hurt more, and i think the blockee gets hurt more than the blocker because the blockee doesn't have a choice in how their gameplay is affected, or how their free speech is affected. Blocking basically gives anyone the power to be a mini-mod. Again, I've offered a suggestion of compromise: Make blocks have an expiration, could be a day, could be a week. Gives people time to cool down. Harassers will likely give up and forget by that tiime. I'm not perfect. I'm still sensitive. I'm still scared myself. You don't know all the traumas I've been through and I'm not obligated or obliged to share them all. But part of why I feel safe on Pokefarm is because no one can censor me over 'dislike' or 'bad vibes.' As long as I follow the rules I'm safe. And that's something I can agree with. No one gets to make up their own rules to shut me down.
Neonyan's AvatarNeonyan

Please do not invalidate my experience. In my experience with exclusion and harassment, both were painful, but exclusion was exponentially more painful than harassment. I'll be open and honest about this: There is a now-inactive user on Pokefarm that harassed me to a near s*cide attempt when I was only 14. I came across their profile a year ago, and while it did trigger bad memories, I ultimately just clicked the 'next' button. If I can do it-- as a person with anxiety, autism, ptsd, and more, I believe the general public will be able to do it. I don't like people using their past experiences as a excuse to open a gateway to mistreating other people. This may be narrow minded of me, but... it's my opinion and I'm entitled to it. Again, I feel less safe with a block feature because exclusion is more painful than direct harassment. With the proper coping skills, direct harassment is more easy to handle. You can laugh at all the effort they're taking to hurt you, you can rise above it and feel superior. You can't escape that way with a click of a button to be silenced. And that's what this is, silencing people: This may be a UK based site but I'm rather sure they still have the concept of free speech there...
To this point specifically; I'm so sorry you've been through that. No one deserves that to happen to them. It's wonderful that you've been able to overcome that and can generally move past it, even when triggered. But your experiences are not universal. Not everyone can do that, as @whiimsicøtt has pointed out. Some people handle trauma and triggers, and their individual ptsd in different ways. There's (usually) nothing wrong with that. I believe its important for accessibility and a player-friendly environment to be able to implement a block feature.

...If it's genuine abuse or bullying, staff can and will take care of it. However, if we allow blocking for any reason- it will be used for reasons such as petty disagreements, 'bad vibes' and 'they make me uncomfortable' with no concrete wrongdoing, like how the feature is socially abused on other sites with block features. This has disastrous implications in a game that requires everyone to be able to interact with everyone for a fair chance. If one person blocks another, it's no big deal, but it can snowball. Friend groups and cliques exist on every site, and before you know it you'll have one user blocked by a signifigant amount of active players, thus completely harming their playability.
A block feature, as implemented in my version 2.0, would not disrupt gameplay in any way. It is essentially the custom css used to hide trainer cards, but with more customizability, flexibility, and supported by the site itself. This provides access to everyone -- mobile users and users who aren't tech savvy. I understand that one user being majorly blocked would impact their game play, hence why I adjusted my suggestion into version 2.0 to prevent this. The only place this would still impact and could be an issue on is the forms, as I've set them up in version 2.0, and I could see that being a problem. I'm willing to hear out suggestions on that, ahah.

Please take a moment to think of how you'd react at 8, 9 or 10 being excluded and blocked for little to no reason.
Children need to grow and learn like the rest of us, and deserve to be able to do so without too much hurt. While it stings to be blocked, it's a real life thing that will happen. People will choose not to talk to you, and people will avoid you. I think it's important to create a safe place for children online, but it shouldn't be a bubble. Children are going to use websites as they grow, and are going to eventually be blocked one way or another. They themselves can begin to use and understand the benefits of cultivating their own online experiences, by blocking people that they themselves find uncomfortable. Similarly, if I was a parent managing my child's account and supervising, I would prefer to be able to block users that I wouldn't want my child interacting
interacting meaning speaking with/communicating with, not the literal clicking ^^
with. Personally, I don't want to interact with younger children on this website. It feels inappropriate, as I'm an adult. (That doesn't necessarily mean it's wrong for adults to interact with children, just how I personally feel. Comfort wise ^^'). (Though to be honest I wouldn't want kids online at the ages of 8, 9, or 10. I know I would have handled it awfully. But, that's not my decision and not really the point right now, just something I wanted to point out since it kind of explains why my points / arguments here are a bit off/feel like I don't fully believe them? ig.)
Side note; I don't respond in here a lot because generally, I feel that I've said really all I have to say, and that my opinions are expressed by others who do reply in here frequently. I've stepped in to discuss a bit now since I feel some stuff is being overlooked, and I can help explain it a bit ^^

★ Zachary ★ They/He ★ 22 ★

Quiet nature collector.
Free Eggdex Help + Free Pair Creation Help Free Forum Templatescredits

credits

Code & Divider @Neonyan Signature Pagedoll @Vehemourn on Toyhou.se Forum Icon @Kotatsu on Toyhou.se
Kinshine's AvatarKinshine
I will just step in for a short time frame, because I have been watching this thread go hell. In fact, the state of this topic has gotten out of hand and derailed to the point it’s turned into a fight and caused numerous people to attack and lash out at one another behind messages and offsite messaging systems. However, let's talk about the real reason we are all are approaching this thread. One needs to look upon the pros and cons of each version of these so-called blocking methods, shall we? We need the best for the human race to be able to fully function, and fulfill the meaning of the site which is clicking. Nonetheless, we need to protect the players as well due to this world is corrupted, and no-one knows how to handle anything anymore. Let’s look through each person’s eyes even for a moment before jumping in like a wild pack of dogs that are just barking back and forth and getting nowhere. The best way to solve this is to just add the feature at this point. We have two features that have been stated on the front post as many have read. Unless people didn’t read it and that that’s your dam fault for not reading that fully before posting. I will be blunt; all you have to say is which version you like best. Then back it up, same goes with if you hate the idea. If you dislike someone’s opinion on what version it is so be it, but try to work it out so everyone can be happy. Honestly, you can’t make everyone happy, it’s impossible in nature and its impossible for a site. We all can just try and come together and find a way to help the site move forward a bit without fighting or going after people offsite which is very harmful and not even humane. Also, I’m going to vote while I am online, since D33R changed my opinion slightly. Even if I personal give zero cares what happens to the site because I do not play it. I stand to vote on the version that allows clicking and a way to not see the players you block. This is a win ~ win situation where we can successfully give the players what they are asking for “a block feature” that doesn’t tamper with the clicking. - Sukio
Avatar by: Nettle Bee | Pixel by: Bufuserk
matecocido's Avatarmatecocido

I change the game for ease of access, not for peace- it's just coincindence the same script I use to stack the click buttons also hides profiles. Please take a moment to think of how you'd react at 8, 9 or 10 being excluded and blocked for little to no reason. This comes down to who gets hurt more, and i think the blockee gets hurt more than the blocker because the blockee doesn't have a choice in how their gameplay is affected, or how their free speech is affected. Blocking basically gives anyone the power to be a mini-mod. Again, I've offered a suggestion of compromise: Make blocks have an expiration, could be a day, could be a week. Gives people time to cool down. Harassers will likely give up and forget by that tiime. I'm not perfect. I'm still sensitive. I'm still scared myself. You don't know all the traumas I've been through and I'm not obligated or obliged to share them all. But part of why I feel safe on Pokefarm is because no one can censor me over 'dislike' or 'bad vibes.' As long as I follow the rules I'm safe. And that's something I can agree with. No one gets to make up their own rules to shut me down.
being blocked from the features hurts much less than "learn to deal with them". i completely disagree with click blocking, so if you had read the whole thread (yes, it's a lot, but imo it's something everyone should do) you'd know my position. i believe only most forums, trades, and pms should be blocked, showing their name as *****. temporal blocking is a bad idea. you don't get over heavy stuff in a week. at least I don't, and I don't think even younger kids will. harassers don't forget either, there are crazy people out there who keep going and going. I've seen them. the fact that you are victimizing the blocked person. sorry but why, why, why. blocking people is a serious thing and I expect people know what they are doing, on the blocking page there should be an option (like stated on v2) that says "choose the reasons why you want to block this person" and /reasonable/ options would appear. so "I dont like dem unu" wouldn't be there. you're right, I don't know at all what you've been through, and I said it at the start, you have the right to be entitled to the things that happened to you. but I've also been through some stuff so I also know what I'm talking about. not as much as your stuff, but I have a place in this conversation too. so I repeat: wouldn't you have liked to have something to get that harasser to stop ? then let others have that option. and finally, this part *doesn't* go for anyone in specific- people have stated they are /begging/ for this. they need it. you can look and there are pages filled with reasons why they need it, long posts detailing reasons in great ways. thanks.
Anniss's AvatarAnniss
Thank you Cele for clarifying the lag talking point! I think it'd be reasonable for us who doesn't have knowledge or expertise in the coding area of this site to speak on the block function itself without taking coding/lag into consideration. Not because it isn't important, but because points to be made for coding and lag should be made only by the experts in the subject as to not cause confusion/misinformation. We could speak in hypotheticals all day, but it's superfluous when there are people who do know and might be available to give objective answers to such questions. Now, time to discuss :) In response to RèÏSÉñ:

QUOTE originally posted by RèÏSÉñ

[...] Who knows, maybe two people with opposing views can still find some common ground and cooperate in a game about clicking pokemon. [...]
Maybe they can, maybe they cannot. The case of cannot is just as valid as the case of can, or?

[...] It also creates scenarios where someone makes a topic that everyone can agree with like 'how niet can improve the site!', but now the people you blocked can't post there because they offended you somehow. So not only can they not read your suggestion, but they cannot suggest something of their own as well. Now if they want to publicly discuss neutral topics (and many of the topics I see on the forums are) they have to avoid the threads created by people who blocked them and make their own. [...]
Me and others have brought up in previous posts a system for forum blocking which makes it so that threads on things that will affect every site user cannot be affected by forum block. TLDR; Some sections of the forum will not be affected by a block in the name of keeping discussions open for everyone. In these places there has been suggested things like hiding the post of a person you've blocked so you can decide on interacting or opting out of the discussion. For personal threads that do not affect more than the blocker and the blocked (Think journals, RPs, Art Shops etc.) you would not be able to post.

[...] Learning to 'sort things out' is an adult skill, and one that kids should learn. You can only keep someone from seeing something offensive or triggering for so long. Plus, outside of the cyberworld (twitter/tumblr/reddit) people are capable of saying terrible things and there is no block feature. Someone says something that offends you, then you speak up or move on. Maybe it's just me but I think that is the kind of attitude people need these days, and the internet isn't a bad place to learn it. [...]
This is a sentiment I find absurd. Yes, especially online you will find things that are offensive/triggering, but why would you not teach kids to remove that source of discomfort? Why would you advicate for children repeatedly exposing themselves to what they do not like in an effort to "grow thicker skin" when you can teach them ways to keep themselves safe by either not being in online spaces that expose them repeatedly to such things, or give them the tools for filtering? There is something to be said for first exposure being unavoidable, but it is another thing to allow repeat exposure and normalization. We should not put forth the sentiment to children that the horrible things done on the internet under the guise of anonymity is acceptable and inevitable. Yes the internet is horrible, but you don't have to contribute to that. It might be a thankless, endless job to provide safety to minors, but it should not be discarded as useless. And yes you can "block" someone irl. You can refuse to be in the same space as them, you can refuse to engage with them, you can ignore them. If someone says something terrible to you, you as an autonomous person with free will can and should remove yourself from that situation irl or online, and a blocking function allows for stricter enforcement of personal boundaries in instances where involving laws is not an option for whatever reason.

[...] If racism was extremely prevalent here, I would probably wholeheartedly support this feature, but as I said before I don't see it. I tried to look for it too, but after 50+ profiles I didn't see much of anything. [...]
I genuinely don't think you said this in bad faith, but the implication of this wording is that you'd be fine with racism until the point you've decided it's "extremely prevalent" however much you personally and subjectively ("I don't see it.") decide what that is. Should you not have a zero tolerance policy on any and all racism?

[...] If it is a dogwhistle then... ignore it.[...]
... What? I should just move on from hidden, violent rhetoric that can and will hurt others? Why?

[...] No one is forcing you to read everyones profile, trainer card, or forum posts nor should they. [...]
I agree, no one should be forced to look at things they do not want to see. Implementing blocking as a filtering feature where I can hide aspects that I do not wish to look at from specific users will help me not having to repeatedly expose myself to it. If your point here is that I should be able to just not read things naturally, that would mean I need to personally make a conscious effort to look away from visual elements that pop up over and over and maybe even at random times if there is someone specific I do not wish to look at. Constant vigilance in keeping your vision off of such things will become tiring if all you want is to avoid is certain cards while clicking online users, for example, and hiding it will make the game more accessible to me again. If my vision is naturally pulled towards giant bold letters on my screen, is it fully my fault then if I am exposed to something unpleasant, and do I deserve the discomfort?

[...] For that matter, I don't think anyone should be able to force you into a situation where you cannot interact with them without knowing why [...]
Here I will disagree outright for what might be concidered "controversial" reasons. You are not owed my time, as I am not owed yours. If I find we were to fundamentally disagree in a manner that does not break site rules, but would make any possible interactions unpleasant in nature of our disagreement, I would argue for that I shouldn't have to spend my limited time on this earth interacting with you. If you wish to dispute this, I have mentioned an additional feature of being able to contest blocks in my first post in this thread.
In response to Whit:

I'm not going to repeat points @whiimsicott made that I agree with. That'd just be a waste of time and bog down this already ridiculously large post. However, I too want to state that while I do not wish to invalidate your experiences, they are not universal and how you deal with and handle issues will not be feasible for everyone. In a discussion such as this, one cannot draw purely on one person's personal beliefs and experiences, though they are very valuable as proof of one viewpoint and needs to be met when implementing something for everyone.

[...] You can't escape that way with a click of a button to be silenced. And that's what this is, silencing people: This may be a UK based site but I'm rather sure they still have the concept of free speech there. "even if not everyone in the group interacted with them, it's how people can be." It's not just or fair to censor a person you've never even interacted with or given a chance. [...]
This is a misuse of the concept of free speech. Free speech does not mean everyone has to platform or listen to you, or even that you are owed their time of day. Freedom of speech functions solely in protecting you from being legally persecuted for what you say. Aka staff cannot censor you. Everyone else doesn't have to listen at all, harsh as that may be. That's how freedom of speech works.

[...] One solution I can think of that could be a compromise is to make blocks have an expiration, make them temporary, but-- this might overload Sally, so I'm not sure. [...]
This will require personal management to upkeep. If blocks are not permanent people will -instead of letting them expire- ensure they renew them. That is more effort on the blocker's part, and defeats the purpose of the block being non-permanent in the first place. It's and interesting concept, but I think something like contesting blocks (as I've mentioned earlier) or perhaps other solutions would work better.

[...] Ultimately, i'd rather deal with someone fake than someone who won't give me a chance. I'm a firm believe that exposure leads to growth and 'safe spaces' encourage stagnation. You need to face trouble in order to overcome it and learn social skills, which is something we should be encouraging in all ages. [...] We should push people to do just that, instead of allowing them an easy way out that will silence and harm in the process.

[...] This comes down to who gets hurt more, and i think the blockee gets hurt more than the blocker [...]
Subjectivity aside, why is the harm that can follow from exposure less relevant than the harm from having boundaries enforced upon you? How do you judge which harm is more valid objectively? How is a stable (or stagnation as you refer to it as. I disagree with this sentiment, which is why I've renamed it stability. Feel free to disagree.) space to exist in online bad? Enforcing your own boundaries and giving your time and energy only to those who will respect that is a very valuable social skill. Concidering the sheer amount of people you are exposed to online, I wouldn't say it's unreasonable to have a stable homebase of friends to return to, nor to want to shield that stability by not inviting every single person you meet into said group. You cannot befriend everyone, it is physically impossible to have deep interpersonal connections with everyone. If someone blocks you that you've never interacted with before, that is a valid concern and maybe we should discuss under which circumstances blocking should be reportable instead of saying it should not exist at all, but I will stand by my point that one is allowed to reserve themselves from any social interaction for whatever reason they may have to set such boundaries. I can say that we SHOULD allow easy ways out, because not everything should be as tough as possible, and people does not need to be constantly pushed, and how would my point be less valid than yours, objectively speaking?

[...] But part of why I feel safe on Pokefarm is because no one can censor me over 'dislike' or 'bad vibes.' As long as I follow the rules I'm safe. And that's something I can agree with. No one gets to make up their own rules to shut me down.
I think we have two very different views on "censoring". You can still speak freely even if someone doesn't want to listen, and that would not be censoring you. If they supressed you, if they shut down your speech
Here I do not mean that they exit the conversation or stop listening. I mean if they stop anyone or everyone from seeing what you've said at all.
, if they interfered with what you said, that would be censoring, but not platforming you, giving you their time of day or simply not listening is not censoring. If someone doesn't want to listen to you, you aren't actually owed their time. It might suck if you have something you want to tell that person specifically, but it's not illegal for them to have personal boundaries.

[...] If you don't want to see someone's profile, there's custom CSS for that. If you don't want to see certian terms, there's chrome extensions for that. [...]

[...] but what does blocking do that just ignoring or reporting them doesn't do? [...]
Again, @RèÏSÉñ and @Whit neither of you argue against implementing blocking strictly as a filtering feature (an argument I've made a little earlier in this thread), but still shut down the suggestion in its entirety on the base of there being either chrome extensions or saying that someone should just ignore it. Would you two also still be against blocking if it was only to filter out/hide things like about mes/cards/forum icons or other things that you two use arguments like "get a chrome extension" or "ignore"? Having a site-based version that does what the chrome extension does, or simply hides things so I don't have to see it every single time I come across someone randomly, but does not affect gameplay otherwise. It is great that you have found ways to filter this out, or shoulder your way through without it being too much of a personal detriment, but implementing it like this would make it fully accessible to browsers that are not chrome/devices that can't use such extensions to begin with, and people who do not experience life as you do can have a better experience on-site and be incentivised to be more active! For CSS I am once again asking if there is one easily available and useable that allows a degree of flexibility in exactly what you can remove, and even then if you advocate for the use of CSS and/or browser extensions, could you not argue for a blocking function that works essentially the same as those would? That'd be easier to use and more accessible if Niet implements it well (Which he probably would). (Apologies if my post brings up points previously expressed by others. I've been at writing it for a while, and the activity has been going faster than I could perfectly edit around (10 new posts since I started). For that reason I would like to apologize for spelling mistakes too (English isn't my first language), I'll try and go back and edit out the most egregious ones, but I want this post posted at some point :9)
Avatar is an absolute unit drawn by me.

Pages: 123··· 2526272829··· 858687

Cannot post: Please log in to post

© PokéFarm 2009-2024 (Full details)Contact | Rules | Privacy | Reviews 4.6★Get shortlink for this page