PFQ Banner

This is PokéFarm Q, a free online Pokémon collectables game.

Already a user? New to PFQ?

Single post in Daily backup failure + potential changes

Forum Index > Core > Announcements > News Archive > Daily backup failure + potential changes >

Gumshoe's AvatarGumshoe

QUOTE originally posted by Niet

I mean basically, if we need to rollback from a backup, things are already really really bad and there'd be a lot of compensation to go around - even if it's just rolling back a few hours! If you were to plot a graph of "badness over time rolled back", then it'd obviously start at zero with zero roll back time, massively jump up, then stay pretty level after that. Realistically speaking, rolling back a few hours is already so bad that rolling back a few days isn't actually significantly worse... That's why I'm leaning in favour of weekly rather than daily backups. The upside of not having 20-30 minutes of downtime every day is actually quite a positive effect.
I........uh I disagree, I guess? In my mind, losing at most one day of work is, in fact, not equal to losing up to 7 days of work. Losing one day of work (or a couple hours) is very very bad, yes, but I very much disagree that losing 7 days of work is only just as bad, or maybe a little bit worse but nothing significantly so. Especially with how random chance everything on this site is, it's not guaranteed that any amount of work can be made up equally. It's not "Oh well, I guess I'll have to do the past two days over again in the exact same way to get to where I was again!" Melans don't tend to work like that. And I know this statement could be used against me, as "Ah! Maybe, if it is all random, the amount of time lost doesn't matter! Maybe the redid days will be better for you!" could be a conclusion you could arrive to, but...I would still prefer to minimize the potential time that would be lost. I'd hate for a new melan discovery to be erased 5 or 6 days after the fact. Yes, it could still happen if it crashed on the same day, but it's potentially up to 7 times more likely to be lost if it's only once a week. (and I know it's all potentials and I know it depends on when during the week it happens, etc etc, the point is that there is a much longer period of time that is in risk rather than a shorter period of time that it is in risk) I suppose I am biased as I'm looking from the perspective of those who are relying on very small chances and the desire to secure/save the data if those chances finally roll in our favor, instead of the average user who may be more inconvenienced by losing a couple hours of playtime per week. I would rather not be able to play for a short amount of time rather than having something good happen (that is somewhat out of my control of if it will definitely happen or not) be exposed to higher risk due to it being in a risky situation for a longer period of time. (whoops accidentally upvoted instead of quoted >_>;;; darn u irreversible upvotes)
"Who knows? That guy...always keeps you waiting."
Chicken ★ 27 ★ they/them journal shop art shop
credit
★ pfp by me ★ sig img from Metal Gear Solid 2 ★ sig code by me
© PokéFarm 2009-2024 (Full details)Contact | Rules | Privacy | Reviews 4.6★Get shortlink for this page