PFQ Banner

This is PokéFarm Q, a free online Pokémon collectables game.

Already a user? New to PFQ?

Safety PSA & Legibility Reminder

Forum Index > Core > Announcements > News Archive >

Pages: 123

Suríya's AvatarSuríya

QUOTE originally posted by ChibiValy

QUOTE originally posted by Corviknight

I'm not really sure what you mean by the second part of that, if you're asking if you can use a rule-breaking .gif in a .png format, how would the format itself change anything? Unless you're talking about making it a still image, which is obviously always fine. Obviously what is disallowed is subjective to mods, but most animated gifs are still *allowed*. The problem is simply with flashy/fast gifs that can trigger migraines or seizures. And if you're ever unsure, PMing a mod is always going to be the most certain answer-- I know yosei-san deals a lot with legibility/gifs so they'd probably get back to you quickly c:
The problem itself here is that the .gif is probably - but I'm not really sure - (thats why I'm asking) flickering since it's moving the hands very quickly. Offcourse, is just a .gif with only 3 frames, but I just wanna be sure to don't create any problems to who is suffering health issue.
Your gif is slow enough, it's fine. We had someone check for me because I can't, personally, look at most gifs because they are fast. I'm one of the people affected by the flashing, blinking, strobing etc in those - among other people on the site, of course.
Current Hunt: Lunatone Chain Length: 1 — Shiny Total: 0 — Melans: 0/1
All UFT pokemon can be found in my fields. No trade PMs please.
MoonlightLeaf's AvatarMoonlightLeaf
I don't even know how to put a template on my LIST of an About Me Page(probably have to reorganize it once I figure it out), but I agree. As someone who is kinda sensitive to bright lights(no migranes or anything, just a major annoyance), I would hate to go on a page and boom, instantly, bright lights.
"There's a life out there to enjoy, so enjoy it!" - Leafy, BFDI Something I got from my failure of a Ralts hunt lol- PFP from the 2022 Advent Calendar!
Loksfjoer's AvatarLoksfjoer

QUOTE originally posted by kjokjo75

Is it okay to "fix" a template to fit the rules if the creator is no longer on the site (3+ months in my case)?
Small fixes like text size or colour are allowed to ensure the template follows the legibility rules. Big template-defining changes are not allowed if the template creator doesn't allow edits to be made.
~ Writer ~ Roleplayer ~ Collector of gems, jewels and fossils ~ My shop: Shop of shiny items My clan: Words of creation Avatar made for me by Armarouge
kjokjo75's Avatarkjokjo75

QUOTE originally posted by Calle

QUOTE originally posted by kjokjo75

Is it okay to "fix" a template to fit the rules if the creator is no longer on the site (3+ months in my case)?
Small fixes like text size or colour are allowed to ensure the template follows the legibility rules. Big template-defining changes are not allowed if the template creator doesn't allow edits to be made.
Thanks for the explanation. Now I don't have to feel guilty for the minor color changes.
ChibiValy's AvatarChibiValy

QUOTE originally posted by Suríya

Your gif is slow enough, it's fine. We had someone check for me because I can't, personally, look at most gifs because they are fast. I'm one of the people affected by the flashing, blinking, strobing etc in those - among other people on the site, of course.
Yeah, I lost like 2.5 on both eyes because of the same problem when playing that rhythm music game called osu, plus I got myopia. Thanks for the confirm by the way c:
Italy ● 31
25 June 1991
She/Her
● 🎮 ● 🎨 Boo&Woobat lover
credit
● BG from Mario Kart Tour ● F2U code by Gumshoe ● Other credits are on my About Me
Aemilia's AvatarAemilia

QUOTE originally posted by CosmosBound92

Is there a way to curb how many templates are posted for others to use that break legibility issues? I have no coding abilities, though I so wish I could, so I cannot create my own or even edit templates that break legibility issues. Could the site implement a lock on templates for others posts until mods can review them, much like we do for contest applications, to keep breaking legibility rules templates off the forums and users wouldn’t use them, unintentionally and unknowingly breaking the rules. I don’t have to first clue to look through the bbcode to know if breaks the rules or not, so I have used templates a number of times and broken the rules. Each time I reset my templates, it takes time to switch all my info over and to put it in the correct places, not that that is anyones problem of my own, it’s just frustrating to do it so often. Could this be a probable thing to do or would it just be too hard to implement?
This is seriously not something I would enjoy. Sometimes I sit down to work on and release several templates in one day after going weeks without doing a single one. This could also cause delays if someone gets a template commissioned because they'd likely incorporate them into this rule, which would negatively impact how many people would want a custom template if the potential wait could be doubled (or more because mods already have a lot on their plate). I understand being careful and having each user check each themselves, but a "validation process" would mean extra work on mods, unless they had a specific group of mods dedicated to checking each template, which isn't very feasible or honestly something that should be made as it only would affect a few users who actively create templates (myself included, I know of like three others who code for others as well, and a handful who code their own templates only).
Buying: BSDs 20 ZC Prisms 70 ZC
Icons/Template by Aemilia

by Kaede

Suríya's AvatarSuríya

QUOTE originally posted by Aemilia

QUOTE originally posted by CosmosBound92

Is there a way to curb how many templates are posted for others to use that break legibility issues? I have no coding abilities, though I so wish I could, so I cannot create my own or even edit templates that break legibility issues. Could the site implement a lock on templates for others posts until mods can review them, much like we do for contest applications, to keep breaking legibility rules templates off the forums and users wouldn’t use them, unintentionally and unknowingly breaking the rules. I don’t have to first clue to look through the bbcode to know if breaks the rules or not, so I have used templates a number of times and broken the rules. Each time I reset my templates, it takes time to switch all my info over and to put it in the correct places, not that that is anyones problem of my own, it’s just frustrating to do it so often. Could this be a probable thing to do or would it just be too hard to implement?
This is seriously not something I would enjoy. Sometimes I sit down to work on and release several templates in one day after going weeks without doing a single one. This could also cause delays if someone gets a template commissioned because they'd likely incorporate them into this rule, which would negatively impact how many people would want a custom template if the potential wait could be doubled (or more because mods already have a lot on their plate). I understand being careful and having each user check each themselves, but a "validation process" would mean extra work on mods, unless they had a specific group of mods dedicated to checking each template, which isn't very feasible or honestly something that should be made as it only would affect a few users who actively create templates (myself included, I know of like three others who code for others as well, and a handful who code their own templates only).
At this time I do not think we are considering an approval process. That being said, it could change in the future at any time but I'll put it this way... this reminder is meant to lessen the amount of work we have been having to do with template corrections. Adding an approval system is a huge drain on our work-power and would only be frustrating for everyone involved. It's more likely that we will have a strike system (similar to hosting contests or clans) where failure to distribute templates that follow the legibility rules will earn a strike if the infractions are bad enough to warrant one. Strikes aren't given willy-nilly but they have been given to people for Clan issues and Contest issues already. It should be noted that I am speaking from a personal side of things as we haven't spent hardly any (if any) time discussing an approvals process but from those who weighed in, it's not a popular idea with us as it stands at this moment. That, as I said, could change but I don't personally see it happening.

What would be considered an appropriate framerate? Cele told me I might need to slow some of my GIF bait avatars down
Avatar credits: Melan Plusle & Minun Galaxy avatar made by Sharpy, (for my use only)
Suríya's AvatarSuríya

QUOTE originally posted by Alchemist's Fire

What would be considered an appropriate framerate? Cele told me I might need to slow some of my GIF bait avatars down
I honestly have no idea. I'm personally affected by fast gifs and flashing things and specific patterns/colors - I can be easily triggered for seizures so I will NOT be doing any of the speed checks. In fact I never do - my fellow Staff warns me against any potentially hazardous links so that I don't have any accidents. A good resource to ask would be Shazi, or Cele perhaps, about framerate because very often the two of them are helping to determine safe speeds when users ask or are reported for gifs. They have been around me for many years and have picked up on the 'safe zone' as a result.

I honestly have no idea. I'm personally affected by fast gifs and flashing things and specific patterns/colors - I can be easily triggered for seizures so I will NOT be doing any of the speed checks. In fact I never do - my fellow Staff warns me against any potentially hazardous links so that I don't have any accidents. A good resource to ask would be Shazi, or Cele perhaps, about framerate because very often the two of them are helping to determine safe speeds when users ask or are reported for gifs. They have been around me for many years and have picked up on the 'safe zone' as a result.
That's completely fair =) I didn't expect that you were doing the speed checks yourself if you're potentially at risk, I was just hoping you might know a number ^^ I've changed my avatar to a still image until I can ensure the frame rate is not an issue =)

Pages: 123

Cannot post: Please log in to post

© PokéFarm 2009-2024 (Full details)Contact | Rules | Privacy | Reviews 4.6★Get shortlink for this page