PFQ Banner

This is PokéFarm Q, a free online Pokémon collectables game.

Already a user? New to PFQ?

Spriter Applications!

Forum Index > Core > Announcements > News Archive >

Pages: 123··· 8910

Sei's AvatarSei

Applications have closed!

Hey guys! I am Sei! Administrator and Art Director for this site. The time has come for us to re-open Spriter Applications. Yay! Sprites make up a very huge part of our site. Everything from icons, to Pokémon have been made by our wonderful art team! If you've ever wanted to be part of the PFQ Art Staff, here's your opportunity Please note we're mainly looking for spriters. If you can draw as well, that's fantastic, but it's people with a major focus on sprites that we want. If you can only draw well, I'm sorry but we're not looking for artists right now, but you're welcome to apply in the future should we ever require more artists! As a side note, if you're under the age of 17, we won't be inclined to hire you.. As a general, 18 is the sweet spot for being a staff member. However, if your birthday is close, send a message to either Garthic or myself first before applying. I'd also like to note that this is a volunteer position - there is no pay involved, you'd just be contributing your time and work to this site. This does mean that we're lenient on deadlines, but we do have them. Since no pay is to be had, it's not expected that you keep pumping out work like a machine. We understand that this is your free time, and that you're choosing it to spend time to help our site improve. The utilization of PFQ sprites is allowed for fusion work. You don't have to ask for permission to use them since the staff will be the only ones seeing them. If you wish to use the sprites after the applications have closed, send me a message and I'll grant permission for them to be posted to your profile, journal, or shop. The permission for PFQ sprites does not cover sprites outside of this application process. The rundown will be as follows: There are four categories, and each category has two subsections. You're allowed to complete as many as you want, but completing all four categories will obviously win you more favor and give the Art Staff and myself a good gauge of your skills. The only major requirement for applying is completing the first category: Recolours. This includes the albino palette and the palette swap. The categories are as follows: Recolours: Basic recolours! A Recolour is defined as taking a Pokémon's existing colours and changing them. How well this is done varies on the spriter -- it's something that the current art team does constantly when pumping out shinies, albinos and melanistics. Since it's such an integral part of being part of PFQ Art Staff, you're required to, at the very least, know how to do recolours. Revamps: Revamps are defined as taking a sprite from either the Gen 1 or Gen 2 games (RBY
Red, Blue, Yellow
- GSC
Gold, Silver, Crystal
) and "modernizing" it while keeping the original pose. Let's be honest here, folks; the sprites from those generations left a lot to be desired. sure, for the time they were made, they were absolutely astounding... But how about we update them and make 'em look fab? Fusions: Fusions are defined as taking two or more existing Pokémon sprites in order to create something brand-new. There's so much you can do with this! Create something that will astonish us! Scratching: Scratching is defined as creating something from nothing! The ultimate test in creativity! Can you create a Pokémon that feels like it belongs in the Pokémon world? Or can you sprite up an existing pokemon reposed in a completely new way? This is the ultimate test for a spriter, especially an applicant who wishes to be part of the PFQ Art staff! When submitting your application, please title your PM "Spriter application". I won't be providing any feedback, but I will message back informing you that your application has been submitted for review.

The Application process ends AUGUST 25TH server time.

Without further ado, the table below lists what you're required to send me for your application. It goes into the sub categories, and if necessary provides additional information. Should you choose to, you can send in additional information such as your age, possible availability, and anything you feel would be relevant for an application. Additional sprite work is acceptable, but if additional work is to be submitted, please fill out additional categories.
# Type Pokémon Info
Recolour
PF1's Vampire Gliscor Use an Albino palette! **REQUIRED**
Scizor & Mismagius Palette swap **REQUIRED**
2 Revamp Any Gen 1 Sprite --
Any Gen 2 Sprite --
3 Fusion Poliwag, Turtwig, Breloom and Squirtle Parts from all four Pokémon must be recognisable.
Applicant chooses 4 Pokémon You can use more if you choose to, but 4 Pokémon minimum!
4 Scratching Up to Applicant Repose
Fakemon Make a Pokémon based on a grass/dragon typing!
If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask!

FAQs

• My work/school/sleep schedule is a bit hectic. Is this alright? So long as you communicate with us and keep us up to date with the project you're working on, we'll have little issue. • Will there be future openings for other jobs, or is this the only opening for a while? We hire on an as-needed basis, for all staff openings. Sometimes users will message me saying they're interested in an Art Staff position and depending on our current workload and numbers, I may or may not take them on. I've since received four current spriters this way. • Can scratches be currently revealed gen 7 pokemon or would some staff rather not see spoilers? Since the staff and myself will be the only ones seeing them, gen 7 pokemon are allowed to be scratched and submitted as part of your application. • For the Fusions, do you want use to recolor them in any way or are they just basic fusions? Simply put.. show us your best work! The better you can make it, the more likely you are to be chosen as a potential candidate. • How many Spriters are you planning to take on this time? Ideally, three. But if I get really outstanding work from four people, then four. It depends on the quality of the submissions I receive.
Edits:
Date Edit
25/8/2016 Applications are now officially closed!
22/8/2016 Application closing date adjusted to 25/8/2016 instead of 1/9/2016.
14/8/2016 Amended what's required to be sent in along with a guideline on what additional information an applicant can provide.
13/8/2016 Listed requirements for submissions. If the albino palette or palette swap is missing from your submission, you have been sent a PM.
BananaLizard's AvatarBananaLizard
I'm interested in applying, but before I do, I need to ask one thing (maybe more): As a spriter, how available do I have to be? In my career, my hours fluctuate and I am sometimes unavailable for about a week or more.
Sei's AvatarSei
If you keep us updated with your schedule that's fine. As long as you're at least somewhat active in providing work, we're golden. We help each other finish off projects if needed, but we don't want an applicant to have to constantly rely on the other artists to finish off what they've started. In essence, so long as you communicate with us, we're gunna be fast friends. :)
BananaLizard's AvatarBananaLizard
mmkay 'nother question (I'm sorry I'll probably have lots of these xD) How is work handed out? Is it like "okay You do this, you do that etc?" Or do the spriters choose their projects from a list of "needs to be done"?
Sezzas's AvatarSezzas
Is it really important that all the spriters can make good sprites from scratch (like fakemon for example) or is it still valuable if you're good at fusions, recolours etc? c:
Plasma303's AvatarPlasma303
I got all excited when I saw the Spriter Applications heading. And then I saw the "18 and up" thing. Best of luck to you lot who are applying.
Profile picture drawn by @OscaRaczo on Twitter for my use.
Joshua Kiryu's AvatarJoshua Kiryu
Can scratches be currently revealed gen 7 pokemon or would some staff rather not see spoilers?
100/∞ || Shop Journal || Free Art
Ultra power bar 4.03%
Sei's AvatarSei

QUOTE originally posted by BananaLizard

mmkay 'nother question (I'm sorry I'll probably have lots of these xD) How is work handed out? Is it like "okay You do this, you do that etc?" Or do the spriters choose their projects from a list of "needs to be done"?
Work is handed out as sort of a mixture of the two. Since I've been with my current team for a while and know how they work, I'd have Novan-chan do a base sprite, and have Shazi do the recolors, or something to that effect. The more I know you and your strengths the better we can play to them.

QUOTE originally posted by Sezzas

Is it really important that all the spriters can make good sprites from scratch (like fakemon for example) or is it still valuable if you're good at fusions, recolours etc? c:
It is, and as mentioned, you'd have a much better chance of being accepted if you're able to do more. We don't want spriters who pixel over existing work and call it "original".

QUOTE originally posted by PotatoPig

I got all excited when I saw the Spriter Applications heading. And then I saw the "18 and up" thing. Best of luck to you lot who are applying.
If your 18th birthday approaching relatively soon, we may make an exception.

QUOTE originally posted by Psychokineticism

Can scratches be currently revealed gen 7 pokemon or would some staff rather not see spoilers?
Since it's going to be in a PM sent to myself, this would be fine.
Mewsona's AvatarMewsona
I can do basic fusions and I LOVE to do recolors. Sadly I'm rather young, (I'm turning 13 in a month) so I understand if I can't be accepted. But I'll send a picture of the sprites or something when I get the done.
Plasma303's AvatarPlasma303

QUOTE originally posted by Sei

If your 18th birthday approaching relatively soon, we may make an exception.
Well, I'd have to wait a few years for that one. It was just a matter of spriting being mentioned.

Pages: 123··· 8910

Cannot post: Please log in to post

© PokéFarm 2009-2024 (Full details)Contact | Rules | Privacy | Reviews 4.6★Get shortlink for this page