PFQ Banner

This is PokéFarm Q, a free online Pokémon collectables game.

Already a user? New to PFQ?

Single post in Lag issues, progress, and planned maintenance [TBD]

Forum Index > Core > Announcements > News Archive > Lag issues, progress, and planned maintenance [TBD] >

Niet [Adam]'s AvatarNiet [Adam]
Two thoughts have resolved in my mind overnight. First: I've turned the server cache back on. While we may have the occasional desync, most of them will fix themselves without anyone even noticing - it was only because EggSweeper tends to be quite fast-paced at times that issues were noticed. This will drastically reduce CPU load (it was at 50% and immediately went down to 35% with cache on), which is a compromise I'm willing to accept. But second: I can't just keep ignoring the technical debt that PFQ has built up over the years. So many systems were made to "just work", without enough care and attention on making it work well and in a future-proof manner. Therefore I am hereby announcing my intention to make "Recode v2". Believe it or not, PFQ actually started life with the intention of being a Facebook game, back when those were a thing. Thank goodness we didn't! But it was designed as such. It was also done in great haste, and the UI was... a thing that existed. It lasted a little while but was soon replaced by The Recode, which is what we have now. We've been using The Recode for something like 10 years now, I don't actually remember. Maybe 8? Point is, it's a lot of time. The Recode was built with Gen 6 in mind. We just got Mega Evolution, Alolan Formes didn't exist yet, and much more besides. Every new feature that got added was just slapped on the foundation we had in order to work, but every single addition was just more spaghetti on the pile. Recode V2 will basically be an update for PFQ's code that brings everything up to date. This will be an ongoing project that I expect to take several months to complete as I translate all of PFQ's features into code that I am satisfied with today. When done, it should just be a drop-in replacement for PFQ with minimal disruption - most of the UI will stay the same (but implemented in a much more up-to-date manner), but there'll be tweaks and improvements dotted around, like half-finished features actually being finished (site skins...) and others being polished. That's not a guarantee though! Some things may change, but overall it would be fairly minimal. The game itself will still work the same way. I intend to bring back dev streams very soon - possibly even later today if I feel capable of it! These will allow you to come see what I'm working on in real time, though I can't promise I'll be good company as I focus :p We'll see how it goes. On a personal note, I want to refer to this:

QUOTE originally posted by arbor

Can I just say, I love all the positivity on these kinds of threads lately. I can remember a time (not that long ago, really) when nearly every announcement or update post was filled with angry, negative comments, no matter what it was about. I'm not sure what's changed- increased transparency from staff, mods cracking down on unproductive negativity, or something else- but it's just such a breath of fresh air, even as a spectator. Can't even imagine what a change it is to be on the receiving end of such comments. Sure there's going to be people who don't like each update, but I'm not seeing the anger I used to see, more "this is why I don't like this thing" comments. Again that could just be mods deleting posts faster, but from a reader perspective all the update posts seem to have a much healthier vibe to them.
Yes. I can 100% confirm that positive responses from the community are the number one reason for my restored energy and increased resolve. I never would've been able to even consider "Recode V2" even just a year ago, but thanks to the community support I'm more than happy to take this project on. We haven't needed to delete any posts here, the community really has improved in its attitude, and I am more than happy to "reward" that with a feedback loop of even more transparency and clarity on work being done :)
Clip from Pokémon anime, re-lined by me
-- OMNOMNOM!
Featured story: Injustice Feedback welcome!
© PokéFarm 2009-2024 (Full details)Contact | Rules | Privacy | Reviews 4.6★Get shortlink for this page