PFQ Banner

This is PokéFarm Q, a free online Pokémon collectables game.

Already a user? New to PFQ?

Single post in Server performance and desyncs

Forum Index > Core > Announcements > News Archive > Server performance and desyncs >

Mirzam's Avatarhypermode-12.pngMirzam
helpinghand.pnghypermode.pngcomplete.pnga.png

QUOTE originally posted by Grumpy Kitwurm

...Locking just someone's interactions for some seconds or minutes...
Does such a limited locking feature exist? I thought the lock levels were like trade, forum, site. It wasn't forseeable imo to be able to arbitrarily lock site features vs disabling an entire account that was causing significant collateral effects. Niet explicitly said he didn't even have enough access at that point to do a full root cause analysis due to the outage, let alone make new tools to perfectly solve it. That being said, I'm very glad that efforts will be made for the lock wording to be more explicit in the steps to take for resolution in case of error.

QUOTE originally posted by Grumpy Kitwurm

At the top of your first post you said the code is old and it's the main reason behind the lag at reset. Later you said it's the custom CSS people use. Like I said, I'm not a web developer so I don't know the details. I was just saying users shouldn't be punished when you can't prove they are breaking the rules. And if QoL was the actual problem, why is it something you can just enable from the settings? If it is an approved site modification, then it's not just some random CSS distributed among the users and people shouldn't be punished for using it.
The initial post was made two days ago. It's likely additional analysis has happened since. In particular, this quote seems informative:

QUOTE originally posted by Niet

It was entirely based on the fact that normal gameplay follows specific patterns of actions, and the affected users were exhibiting patterns that were completely inconsistent with normal gameplay. This, ultimately, was caused by the injected CSS removing the need to even look at what you were doing to "play" the game, and resulted in excessive calls to certain endpoints that did not make sense.
I don't agree that people are getting punished for using the QoL and similar features. I don't even really agree that a temporary lock after knocking over a server is "punishment". Managing the edge cases that arise because of the interaction between the intended way to do something and how people actually do it, especially after years of min/maxxing, is challenging, and sometimes unintended things will happen as a result from any party involved. I agree that there were mistakes made here, largely in messaging (what to say, when, why). But I don't think some of your characterization of the events is fair.
© PokéFarm 2009-2024 (Full details)Contact | Rules | Privacy | Reviews 4.6★Get shortlink for this page