PFQ Banner

This is PokéFarm Q, a free online Pokémon collectables game.

Already a user? New to PFQ?

Single post in Sprite Discovery Discussion

Forum Index > PokéFarm > Discussion > Sprite Discovery Discussion >

Seejey's AvatarSeejey

QUOTE originally posted by SUNNELIØN

... This guy? Are you sure? /lh I get that some people DO like the old neon sprites, but I think most of us here can loosely agree that current melan Emolga is... Not Good, Actually. I find the bright golden eyes unsettling, the flat greys boring, and the blight sky blue wing pockets in stark contrast to the eyes jarring and overall just not a very aesthetically pleasing sprite. Hence why staff is currently redoing a lot of the old melans-- they firstly don't look like melanistic creatures and secondly often just don't look great. It's not that they "can't be black and white anymore" (they can, actually, and there are several new albinos and melans that use desaturated colors) or even "what everyone would expect" (do me a favor and google melanistic animals, several of them are not just straight black, and albino animals often have lots of pink) but that don't you think if every albino or melan was just flat, desaturated colors with occasional pops of bright color, that'd be kind of boring? I like that now there's a wider variety of color palettes art staff is using to recolor pokemon, as opposed to Way Back When when melan sprites were various shades of dark grey with occasional out-of-place sections of bright color. Plus, there is still a place for dark greys. Like look at new Arcanine-- especially the Hisuian one! That one's pretty nice, with the dark greys and blues! Or Cofagrigus, which also has a lot of neutral tones amongst darker, more harmonious blues as well.
I won't do you a favour and Google anything because I know melanistic animals ain't 'straight black' and that's why I said 'what anyone would expect' and not 'what they are'. Plus Pokémon aren't animals. There's no melanin in Beldum, but a black one is what I would expect from a melanistic one and I believe I ain't alone. Since you're asking, I don't think these special recolours being predominantly white or black would be boring (that's why I posted my comment 😉) and I think shinies are already funny enough. And I get you taking my wording as 'harsh'. We see people policing each other's opinions everywhere on the internet, but I still think dark shades of brown and moss could be put under the 'dirt colours' umbrella term. If you think I need to learn another word to call these colours you could send me a PM with suggestions (though I'd prefer you didn't). In the "Sprite Discovery Discussion" I only wanted to express my impressions on discovering these sprites' colours as the artists might care about them as I'm one end user and not, if it really needs to be said, insult anyone nor anyone's art (the new shading is absolutely amazing in every new sprite and I'm very aware that I couldn't sprite a plain square if I tried) It's really just the colours. It's really just my opinion.
pfp
official Pokémon sprite
© PokéFarm 2009-2024 (Full details)Contact | Rules | Privacy | Reviews 4.6★Get shortlink for this page