PFQ Banner

This is PokéFarm Q, a free online Pokémon collectables game.

Already a user? New to PFQ?

Toggleable account option to "check all" for mass release

Forum Index > Core > Suggestions > Rejected >

Pages: 12

musicalcakes's Avatarmusicalcakes
A "check all" button for mass release is something that many users want, yet has been rejected in the past due to making it easy to accidentally release stuff. I believe implementing it as an opt-in account option can solve this. If the "check all" button is disabled by default, it would prevent accidental releases that would come from it. Allowing players to choose to enable such an option would make everyone happy. Why do we need a "check all" button? -Reduces unnecessary clicking. Many players (including myself) need to be conscientious about hand and wrist health due to the repetitive nature of the game, and thus limit our activity appropriately. Forcing us to click every pokemon individually to release it can quickly add up to hundreds of clicks, which are hundreds of clicks we could have "spent" playing the actual game. It gets very frustrating when the limited time I allow myself to play has to be eaten up by releasing pokemon. -Forcing individual clicks only makes responsible players suffer at the hands of an irresponsible few. When faced with an unwanted, tedious task, the natural reaction is often to spam through it as quickly as possible. The people who do this will do so regardless of how many confirmation windows and safety features they have to click through, resulting in accidents, but why should the entire playerbase be forced to pay for their mistakes? Of course, some people do benefit from having to click individually, which is why the "check all" account option should be off by default, but allowing the option for a "check all" button will allow the more responsible players (who check their things carefully) to accept the risk of accident if they wish in exchange for an improved gameplay experience. -Tying into that last point, the more options a player has available to customize their experience, the greater their enjoyment of the game. -As others have pointed out in their suggestion threads, pokerus operates on a strict 15-minute timer and every second truly does count, particularly if you happen to contract it during a busy time of the day. No one wants to waste any more time than necessary releasing pokemon during it. Drawbacks: -Some accidents will still happen with this feature, but since it is an opt-in feature, it forces anyone who wishes to use it to accept sole responsibility for any increased risk. Please allow us to take on this risk if we choose to.
FraidyCat's AvatarFraidyCat
I think this is a very elegant fix for an important issue with dedicated players and newbies alike! I know I'll want this in the future, the opt-in puts me at ease for less accidents - while still having the option for when i need it.
Niet [Adam]'s AvatarNiet [Adam]
"Accidents" is far from the most important reason, but since you're going with that. What if you accidentally leave the option on after doing a planned mass-release, and then accidentally mass release other things. It's absurd. Please refer to the better reasons against having this.
Clip from Pokémon anime, re-lined by me
-- OMNOMNOM!
Featured story: Injustice Feedback welcome!
musicalcakes's Avatarmusicalcakes
The fact that you have to turn on the option in the first place means accepting a risk such as that. Besides, the confirmation window for mass releasing would still exist, allowing people to stop and go back and check. But all right, referring to past threads...

QUOTE originally posted by Niet

It is by design to not be too easy. If "Mass release" and "Mass move" behaved in the same way, how easy do you think it would be to accidentally release when you thought you were moving stuff?
Not very. Again, the confirmation window still exists and one still has to turn on the option for them to behave similarly at all. Anyone truly worried about making such a mistake should simply never enable the "check all" button.

QUOTE originally posted by Constantine

I'm of the mind that there's a reason there isn't a click and drag, it acts as a failsafe, so you stop and think just what pokemon you're releasing. Sure it may seem tedious, but you're more likely not to release a valuable/needed pokemon when you have to check each pokemon for release.
Slowing people down does not necessarily force them to think, or else we would have zero accidents in the current system. The people that do benefit from being forced to slow down are why the "check all" option would be opt-in only.

QUOTE originally posted by Garthic

Whilst it is a fault on them, that doesn't stop people from blaming us :P That said, it also makes it harder for people who garner access to an account that is not theirs to cause lots of damage in a short amount of time.
This is a better reason that I admit did not occur to me, however it is still possible to inflict massive amounts of damage quickly under the current system. The most irreplaceable pokemon are ones that most users have very few of. If a user has less than 100 highly-valued pokemon, they can still be released within a minute or two in the current system. Would seconds versus one or two minutes make that big of a difference? Does staff truly act that quickly? This sort of problem seems like it would be better be addressed by how unauthorized account access is handled, not how fields are handled.
Mystera's AvatarMystera
It doesn't matter how secure you think your site is, someone is still going to forget to log out on their phone or at the library and someone else is gonna get into their account. It happens. And a few extra seconds can help you irl to snatch the phone back before the hijacker manages to hit the confirm button.
Joshua Kiryu's AvatarJoshua Kiryu
Maybe using mass release requires the user to input their password, which would keep hijackers from being able to use the feature, and its required every time its used. The prompt might also help distinguish between moving pokemon/regular releasing and reduce accidents. I dont necessarily support but, maybe this would help.
100/∞ || Shop Journal || Free Art
Ultra power bar 4.03%
Mystera's AvatarMystera

QUOTE originally posted by Psychøkineticism

Maybe using mass release requires the user to input their password, which would keep hijackers from being able to use the feature, and its required every time its used. The prompt might also help distinguish between moving pokemon/regular releasing and reduce accidents. I dont necessarily support but, maybe this would help.
And that's better than clicking each individual Pokemon? I think not. Personally, I just use Snap Links (FF add-on).
Joshua Kiryu's AvatarJoshua Kiryu
Pretty sure typing a line of text is way shorter than clicking 40 times (i dont know what either of those things are but maybe that's helpful for someone at least)
Dorugamon's AvatarDorugamon
As it stands, people already accidentally release Pokèmon, I still don't know how they manage to do it at times, but it happens. While having a checkall for Mass releasing would be a nice quality of life improvement, the main issue I see is the blame game. In the time I've been lurking from what I've seen, the community can be very very confusing, in that they want XX then when XX happens, people complain. There is no way to make everyone happy, and as it stands, when it does happen - People will suggest it be changed back to the way it use to be, and/or blame it on staff for the change even taking place! The way it is now slows people down enough that it hopefully prevents some accidental releases, but not all. However, having a checkall speeds up the process incredibly, while it's "convenient" it increases the number of accidental releases tremendously. It can have a triple confirmation and that still wouldn't prevent people from just okaying everything without taking a better look at what they are doing. Saving time in this instance is not a valid reason - You have to accept that some things in life are time consuming, and sometimes that is for a good reason. One could easily look at it and say "but if it were XX way it would be done much faster." Faster, does not mean better or even more efficient. Not to mention - Managing your fields is part of actually playing the game, so those clicks you may feel are "wasted" - well, then the same would apply to the time/clicks you spend to organize fields in the first place.

QUOTE originally posted by Psychøkineticism

In terms of having it password protected - That is not a good idea. Why?: People access PFQ from a plethora of different places, a lot which may even be public. While the security of each account is majorly up to each user - you can't exactly control if people are watching what you are doing in public. Yes this information is input every time you login - however, for it to be used every time you are going to mass release? That is an increased chance for someone's password to be stolen and for the account to be breached. However, I did think of a way the system could -possibly- work, but that requires additional changes, and is a rather different suggestion altogether - seeing as I don't want to be a thread hijacker, I won't share that here, but feel free to PM me if needed and I'd be more then happy to share that suggestion.
My avatar is Dorugamon from the movie "Digimon X-Evolution", ©Toei Animation.
ynne's Avatarynne
I fully support this. If someone wanted to make damage to account, they can trade away all currencies or release all melans or whatnot in a few seconds anyways. Accidents will always happen. The rules could outright state that it's own responsibility if you use this option. Also, we could get an option to manually lock (sort of) some pokemon that we don't want to trade away nor dex trade. So in case of release, it wouldn't allow releasing them similarly to how it doesn't allow releasing account locked or freshly adopted pokemon. If someone wanted to steal them, they'd have to manually toggle each of them, which would give the needed extra time. Honestly, this function is so much in demand and it comes up over and over again, I... don't think that making it optional would hurt anyone. People can take responsibility for their own actions just fine. And like was already mentioned, this system doesn't prevent them. I saw several times people ask for help finding their accidentally released albinos and such. This covers both arguments against it, I don't remember any other but I'm sure those would have solutions as well.
Grassium Fragment

Grassium Fragment

Z-Crystal

(: 0)

A fragment of Grassium Z. Collect enough of these to trade in for a full Z-Crystal.

Sells for 100

Lv. 100 — +3,952,273
Aspear BerryAspear Berry
Aspear Berry (SOUR)
Cheri BerryCheri Berry
Cheri Berry (SPICY)
Chesto BerryChesto Berry
Chesto Berry (DRY)
Pecha BerryPecha Berry
Pecha Berry (SWEET)
Rawst BerryRawst Berry
Rawst Berry (BITTER)
BugGrass
Happiness 27%
Docile nature

Pages: 12

Cannot post: Please log in to post

© PokéFarm 2009-2024 (Full details)Contact | Rules | Privacy | Reviews 4.6★Get shortlink for this page