PFQ Banner

This is PokéFarm Q, a free online Pokémon collectables game.

Already a user? New to PFQ?

Tip Fix Maybe?

Forum Index > Core > Suggestions > Rejected >

Pages: 123

Mirzam's AvatarMirzam

This post contains one or more BBCode Errors and cannot be displayed properly.

Error: Unexpected [th] - [table] does not allow it on line 6

If this is your post, please edit it to correct these errors. For now, the post will be shown raw, with no BBCode processing.

[quote=DrWho;1721317][style].bbcode_tooltip ~ .tooltip_content { position: relative; }[/style]Excellent suggestion, full support. Cut off text is a bother and this suggestion makes a massive improvement to [pit=legibility of forum posts.]See how much prettier this would be? ;-;[/pit][/quote] I've been playing with this since I was thinking about adding it to my skin, and the problem is by taking away the absolute positioning on tips you get some pretty funny behavior in some instances - tables being one. For example, I think code like this is popular in shops: [styleclass=brokentable][table][th=5x1]Relative Position Table[/th][tr][td][tip=Fire Stone][item=Fire Stone][/tip][/td][td][tip=Fire Stone][item=Fire Stone][/tip][/td][td][tip=Fire Stone][item=Fire Stone][/tip][/td][td][tip=Fire Stone][item=Fire Stone][/tip][/td][td][tip=Fire Stone][item=Fire Stone][/tip][/td][/tr][tr][td][tip=Fire Stone][item=Fire Stone][/tip][/td][td][tip=Fire Stone][item=Fire Stone][/tip][/td][td][tip=Fire Stone][item=Fire Stone][/tip][/td][td][tip=Fire Stone][item=Fire Stone][/tip][/td][td][tip=Fire Stone][item=Fire Stone][/tip][/td][/tr][tr][td][tip=Fire Stone][item=Fire Stone][/tip][/td][td][tip=Fire Stone][item=Fire Stone][/tip][/td][td][tip=Fire Stone][item=Fire Stone][/tip][/td][td][tip=Fire Stone][item=Fire Stone][/tip][/td][td][tip=Fire Stone][item=Fire Stone][/tip][/td][/tr][/table][/styleclass] [styleclass=normaltable][table][th=5x1]Normal (Absolute) Table[/th][tr][td][tip=Fire Stone][item=Fire Stone][/tip][/td][td][tip=Fire Stone][item=Fire Stone][/tip][/td][td][tip=Fire Stone][item=Fire Stone][/tip][/td][td][tip=Fire Stone][item=Fire Stone][/tip][/td][td][tip=Fire Stone][item=Fire Stone][/tip][/td][/tr][tr][td][tip=Fire Stone][item=Fire Stone][/tip][/td][td][tip=Fire Stone][item=Fire Stone][/tip][/td][td][tip=Fire Stone][item=Fire Stone][/tip][/td][td][tip=Fire Stone][item=Fire Stone][/tip][/td][td][tip=Fire Stone][item=Fire Stone][/tip][/td][/tr][tr][td][tip=Fire Stone][item=Fire Stone][/tip][/td][td][tip=Fire Stone][item=Fire Stone][/tip][/td][td][tip=Fire Stone][item=Fire Stone][/tip][/td][td][tip=Fire Stone][item=Fire Stone][/tip][/td][td][tip=Fire Stone][item=Fire Stone][/tip][/td][/tr][/table][/styleclass] You also can't just allow overflow on user content, or people might super break stuff I think haha. It may take more than just CSS to fix this, but I totally agree that it's worth doing. [style].brokentable .bbcode_tooltip ~ .tooltip_content { position: relative; } .normaltable .bbcode_tooltip ~ .tooltip_content { position: absolute; }[/style]
Rokon's AvatarRokon
Support! I'm not sure why it was decided to have them cut off, but I always hated it >w>;; All it seemed to do was hinder things.
cee - he/she/they - 21 icon from Rachel and Jun youtube sig sprite by me stoked sparksurfer! everything i post is to be read in the flattest voice possible
Mystera's AvatarMystera
You see how the second table in Tarashia's post works? I was thinking make all tips like that. So if you had one at the very bottom of your post it'll just pop up over your signature. This relative position thing seems okay too, but it is freaking out that table.
You can add a single line in style code brackets, to change tooltip position but of course, that would be a drag every post without a template. With templates however, if only people added another line and taught the user how to wrap the style class brackets around what is tooltipped. I support because not many people add code in their templates for tool tips. Outside of templates, it'll be too much hassle. So having the default tool tips act better, would help users all around.
Updated: Feb 24th
PF1 User Name: TRasenS. Avatar, buttons, coding done by me. Dex image from the Bulbapedia. Banner made by Tendlex on PF1.
Niet [Adam]'s AvatarNiet [Adam]
[tip] can be a powerful tool, but as you've seen it does have its limits. Contents of a post cannot ever be allowed to overflow beyond it. Any attempt to automatically calculate whether to tooltip is inside or outside the content area will inevitably mess around with the many templates and codes that users have on their profiles and shops, among other things, causing far more problems than it would solve. Not to mention, [a tooltip can contain variable content]

Like an Accordion

See?
so calculations would have to be dynamic and complex. Overall, just not realistic. If a tooltip's contents cannot be read, then it is a legibility issue and the responsibility of the post creator to notice and fix - we do have a Preview button, after all.
Clip from Pokémon anime, re-lined by me
-- OMNOMNOM!
Featured story: Injustice Feedback welcome!
Mirzam's AvatarMirzam
That's fair, the more I think about it the more weird cases have to be considered lol. @Mystera: The way the tip overlaps the table is called overflow in HTML/CSS, and if user-made content could overflow a post area, people could make stuff appear in places it has no business being, by accident or on purpose. For example, given unlimited CSS and overflow enabled, I could cause the whole page to be covered up. I mean it would be reportable, but could get pretty wild - best not to go there. Just allowing overflow into the signature wouldn't fix cases where users have no sig, or a sig that's shorter than the tip. (I hope I'm not coming off as preachy here I just like CSS ;w;)
Mystera's AvatarMystera
Well I didn't mean it could only go over the sig, I basically just meant let it escape the text area. I don't see extremely long tips being a problem because you can toggle it on/off yourself by clicking on/hovering over it.
DrWho's AvatarDrWho
No Tarashia you're not coming off as preachy at all, you're spot on. ^^ Btw, the post I made was only intended as an example to show how it would look like x3 I'm aware it worked for that post only and would completely mess up other things e.g. tables - so you're absolutely correct about that as well. I'm sorry about that, my post wasn't quite relevant to the discussion. ^^ But I love how you experimented to explore when it would fail, that's always an excellent way to see if something is functional ^^ Mystera - Like Tarashia said, if it went over the text you could make it so that there is no hover effect. You'd have to click it, and then it covers the entire page and you have to refresh and so on and so forth. Of course those things are reportable, but I think user input has its place and shouldn't go beyond those set boundaries. And thank you Niet for your response!
Avatar by Kaelwolfur. Sent from my PokéNav

Pages: 123

Cannot post: Please log in to post

© PokéFarm 2009-2024 (Full details)Contact | Rules | Privacy | Reviews 4.6★Get shortlink for this page