PFQ Banner

This is PokéFarm Q, a free online Pokémon collectables game.

Already a user? New to PFQ?

Search Box in Forums

Forum Index > Core > Suggestions > Rejected >

Pages: 12

Stardrops's AvatarStardrops
I'm not sure if this has been suggested before, considering it is a pretty common thing among most forums, but I would really like to see a search box in the forums. This could help people narrow down what they're looking for, instead of having to go through several pages in the forums just to find something. For example, if I wanted to swap gems with someone and went to the Trade/Trade Shop forums, I could easily just search "gem swap" and have all threads with "gem swap" in the name pop up! This would probably have the most use in the trade section of the forums, or even the art section for people who are looking for certain things to commission artists. I can not really think of any negatives..maybe it would make thread-makers have to make longer titles? Like Trade Shop thread-makers would have to put "gem swapping/shinies/summons/etc." in their titles instead of keeping them neat and clean, but don't most threads include that stuff anyway? TLDR; Suggestion Title: Search box in the forums. Suggestion Summary: Let people search key words in the forums. Positive points: People can find specific things they're looking for faster. Negative points: Can not think of many good negative points, let me know if you have any please. Reason For Consideration: This could help many people get business done and like I said, it could have more positive outcomes than negative overall.
Lørentius's AvatarLørentius
This has already been suggested multiple times and all have been rejected. Most, if not all browsers already have a built-in search bar. Digging through pages of threads is unfortunately required, but Ctrl+F is your friend.
Lore/Lorentius | They/them Avatar by feshnie on dA | 58881 Nanabs
Stardrops's AvatarStardrops
@ Lørentius Ah, okay. I usually access Pokefarm through my iPad, which is why I thought this would be a good idea. Thank you for letting me know this has already been rejected.
Sir Jaxxy's AvatarSir Jaxxy
Not only is it a great idea for mobile deviceses it is also very needed for PC. I have multiple suggestions I would like to make but have no idea of if they have been made already. I do know how to use ctrl F, however, I am not willing to spend the time to go throught 10s if not 100s of pages ctrl F each one. I have honestly never seen a forum that did not have the search function enabled and I have been online since the 80's.
Kayse's AvatarKayse
The amout of irony in here is unbeleavable. This is a perfect example as to why we would need a search function mainly due to the sheer amount of posts on the forums and espescially the suggestion forums. If this were not in the latest suggestions then I probably would have posted something dangously similer. A good example as to why and how this would help is the fact that if you are looking for something spesific in the trade forums then you could find it instataniously rather than posting something that has already been posted and feeling ashamed.
Angel Hope's AvatarAngel Hope

QUOTE originally posted by Kayse

The amout of irony in here is unbeleavable. This is a perfect example as to why we would need a search function mainly due to the sheer amount of posts on the forums and espescially the suggestion forums. If this were not in the latest suggestions then I probably would have posted something dangously similer. A good example as to why and how this would help is the fact that if you are looking for something spesific in the trade forums then you could find it instataniously rather than posting something that has already been posted and feeling ashamed.
Well you aren't entirely right or wrong here. Yes, this CAN be an excuse or example why this suggestion is needed. BUT... If you can use the control+f feature, it's pretty easy and fast. Here's what I usually do when going through pages to find something. Simply type out the word in the first page. Copy the word or phrase. Go to another page, open the feature, and paste. I can go through roughly 50 pages within 10 seconds using my method. I understand why some people can't use a laptop or desktop and why they think having a search box would be much more helpful consider they can't use the control+f feature. Here's what I found using my phone. I use a Note 5 and am using a chrome browser to demonstrate. Go to the three dots thing at the corner to go to the more features. Scroll down to "find in page" and click it. Type in the word or phrase you are searching for. Copy that particular word or phrase, go to another page, and do the exact same thing I do with a desktop above. It takes a bit longer but it still works. Or here's what I do most of the time. I read. Yes, I read all the titles of the pages. If you are a fast reader, then great. You take half the time I read, which is completely fine and doesn't make me envy you one bit. Or skip. Lots of people skip through the pages to find what you need and it works 99.99% of the time. There are literally 4 ways here where you can substitute out the search bar. I want the search bar is helpful in many ways, but you got to understand. There isn't more than 100 pages here for you to search so I don't see a point where a search bar is needed where there is only about 20 pages or even less to go through. I did consider the fact maybe you have dylexia(mostly spelling that wrong because I do in fact have that), ADHD, or other medical issues where it is of your convenient. There are a possibly a great deal of users who do have those issues but I don't really see them complaining. They probably do complain about it but I just never saw them. Again, this is my opinion and through my experience. Please try to be understanding and don't attack me for my own opinion. I am trying to be reasonable and just stating facts that I know of. If I'm wrong, tell me I'm wrong with facts and proof to back up why you are disagreeing. If you don't, then I know you are being one of those people. Oh, and no support. At least not with your reasons.
  • Trades
  • Links
  • Credits
Check out MY SHOP AND SERVICES(including hunts)!! 🍵Trading CS pets and items for PFQ. SELLING EVERYTHING I HAVE FOR CURRENCIES!!!
Nunka's AvatarNunka
While we did have an Experimental Search bar at one point, I honestly don't think it's too nessacary. While it can be a bit inconvient Try using Google. It's not too hard of a tool to use. If you include site:pokefarm.com after your Keywords, it'll search only Pokefarm for those exact words. You can also use site:pokefarm.com/forum to Limit to just forums. If you include the Forum's name such as "Trades" or "Rejected" it will, most of the time, limit it to just those forums or Subforums within that Keyword. Doing search bar Rejected site:https://pokefarm.com/forum/ brings up about three pages of stuff from the Rejected forum about a Search Bar of some sort, Forums/Pokedex/Fields ect being rejected. However usually manually is the best way to go in the cases such as trade threads. If a thread is active, it'll usually be on the first three pages. Some threads that have a Designated stuff such as "Gem Swap" will state so in the title. It's why so many people list stuff in their title, it's a good way to previw content without clicking. As mentioned "ctrl+f" can help with this a LOT.
The point is that "Search" is a built in function to any forum software. For it not to show up it has to be disabled in the admin controls. It is not like we are asking them to take months to reprogram the forums to add a basic feature that will enhance the use of the forums. If it is necessary for one person or many should not matter. I personally have multiple health issues that affect my hands and can not go through even 10 pages of doing ctrl-F let alone 100. As for folks not complaining, that is because it is simpler for them to just not use the forums then to ask for a function that should be automatically there.
Niet [Adam]'s AvatarNiet [Adam]

QUOTE originally posted by Sir Jaxxy

The point is that "Search" is a built in function to any forum software. For it not to show up it has to be disabled in the admin controls. It is not like we are asking them to take months to reprogram the forums to add a basic feature that will enhance the use of the forums.
You do realise that this is custom forum software that I built from nothing, right?
Clip from Pokémon anime, re-lined by me
-- OMNOMNOM!
Featured story: Injustice Feedback welcome!

QUOTE originally posted by Niet

QUOTE originally posted by Sir Jaxxy

The point is that "Search" is a built in function to any forum software. For it not to show up it has to be disabled in the admin controls. It is not like we are asking them to take months to reprogram the forums to add a basic feature that will enhance the use of the forums.
You do realise that this is custom forum software that I built from nothing, right?
No I din't. However, as a former coder, I also know adding a search feature is not that dificult. I just don't see why it wasn't included from the start as it is a basic "quality of life" feature that honestly has no downside/negatives.

Pages: 12

Cannot post: Please log in to post

© PokéFarm 2009-2024 (Full details)Contact | Rules | Privacy | Reviews 4.6★Get shortlink for this page