PFQ Banner

This is PokéFarm Q, a free online Pokémon collectables game.

Already a user? New to PFQ?

Single post in Sprite Discovery Discussion

Forum Index > PokéFarm > Discussion > Sprite Discovery Discussion >

Sei's AvatarSei

QUOTE originally posted by Hayashi Rin

Long response to Ledah's post

QUOTE originally posted by Ledah

Please remember that this thread is meant to discuss sprites from this site, not old sprites from the original Pokefarm. Please keep discussion on topic. A reminder about criticisms and critique: It is fine to dislike sprites and to have opinions that are not "Omg this is amazing!" You are entitled to your opinion and we do not mind that. What you are not entitled to do is bash things senselessly just because you don't like them. Saying it's "bad" or "poorly made" is not critique, it is just being rude and unkind to the artists who put a lot of time and hard work into creating these sprites. If you think something about the sprite doesn't work or looks odd, say so politely and offer a suggestion on what you think would work better. We may not implement whatever change a person suggests, but on the other hand, we might; it's been done before. TL;DR, mind your manners when talking about sprites. Don't be a jerk. It's not hard.
Just a bit of a reply to Ledah's comment, as I don't know if I can agree with all that was said. I would personally say that people referencing the old Ryukuza sprite is a legitimate discussion of the current topic, considering the new sprite is a remake of that old sprite as indicated by the fusion's name. If the artists don't want people to bring back up that old sprite, using a different name would have been best ;;' With that being said, nowhere in the site rules does it say we can't bring up old sprites, nor does the purpose of this thread. "This thread is the sister thread of the Sprite Discovery, which came to life to discuss the discovered sprites: how they look like, what's our impressions, etc." If staff doesn't want us bringing old sprites into these discussions even though they are in fact a part of the old alpha version/a previous make of this site (which would be like saying not to reference current fakemon sprites after Niet does the supposed next recode mentioned in the Discord chat a little while ago please do not question or discuss that here though), then create either a rule or add that to the original thread post rather than calling us out on something that isn't an issue otherwise. The last issue I had (I mostly agree with the last two paragraphs, though disagree with saying we are not entitled to speaking our opinions even if maybe a little rude), was that it's "not hard" to "mind our manners". I agree that it's rude and unkind to the artists to criticize their work especially with negative words like "bad" and "poorly made" rather than neutral words like "could use improvement" or "bland compared to XXX" or something. However, might I just say that I never learned how to give constructive criticism until college in the US, at the age of 19? It's a bit silly to expect kids and teens, which are many on this site, and even many older people to all just inherently be able to give effective constructive criticism. It takes a lot of learning and practice to do that, so it is actually, hard to many people..Thus telling users not to voice their opinions even if using negative words will effectively mute a large number of users' opinions, which would be a bit questionable for a community site. Maybe create a post somewhere detailing what is and isn't acceptable - as even what is rude or not is an opinion rather than a fact that everyone knows - if staff can't handle a bit of negative opinions from users..That isn't to say they should suffer disrespect, but disrespect and negative opinions about their work are two separate things. It's also unkind to call those of us who don't know how to give proper feedback jerks for what they believe to simply be their honest opinions, though perhaps uncensored ;w;' Yes it may also be hard to create the sprites, so people should put in a bit of effort to criticize those sprites effectively, but once again the purpose of this thread is not constructive criticism but to "discuss the discovered sprites". If staff want a place for constructive criticism of their sprites void of any negative opinions or feedback, they should create a thread with explicit rules defining what is and isn't allowed to be posted and go off of that thread for their user input; i.e. the post needs to have three valid points backed up by one or more suggested fixes. I will emphasize however, that it is a rule to respect other users, so we do need to be careful not to disrespect the artists' and their work..But negative opinions alone are not disrespect x TL;DR: We can reference old sprites until it becomes a rule not to, it's silly to expect positive or neutral opinions and feedback from all or even most users, make a thread for constructive criticism instead of relying on our opinions and/or discussions if you don't like them.
Apologies if anything was left out or worded poorly as it is late, but I'll fix that tomorrow if there're any pointed out issues ;w;'
Just want to mention that I agree with you here - There's nothing wrong with comparing the old sprites to their PF1 counter parts. I'll edit Ledah's post to reflect that. As for the discussion about Ryukuza in general, Spoodle is correct in that it was an edit of the gen 4 Rayquaza sprite. Kinchiona made it and as for the direction we decided to go in with it, I recall her mentioning that she just stuck wings onto it because it looked nice and she liked rayquaza / wanted to push an event out with it. There was no rhyme or reason to it other than "I want this". I feel like our revamped hybrid works a lot nicer and the dex description fits in nicely with that meld. Also, since it's a hybrid it is meant to be decidedly smaller than an actual Rayquaza, so that's why there's a size difference. Coloration wise, the normal and albino pull from Flygon while the shiny and melan are their own thing.

Here's the concept art for it, drafted december 2018

© PokéFarm 2009-2024 (Full details)Contact | Rules | Privacy | Reviews 4.6★Get shortlink for this page