PFQ Banner

This is PokéFarm Q, a free online Pokémon collectables game.

Already a user? New to PFQ?

Feraligatr Name Fix

Forum Index > Core > Suggestions > Rejected >

Pages: 1234

youmu's Avataryoumu
alright. this is going to (HOPEFULLY) be my final post. there is absolutely nothing else to say, other than, regardless what it was intended to be, it is not what its name is. its, 100% canonical, official name, used everywhere, never changed, is Feraligatr. you can't get to decide what its name is "supposed" to be, or what it "actually" is, because despite that, its name is Feraligatr. it is a fun bit of trivia, that its name is spelled like that because of the limitations, but its name is still spelled like that. there is nothing changing this. staff can choose to use an incorrect/non-canon spelling if they choose, of course, because literally no one can stop them, but it will remain incorrect and confusing, for reasons that are not good. reasons that will literally be "because we can even though we know its wrong but we think it should have an 'o.'" its name is not supposed to be "feraligator." it was, but not anymore. that's all there is to it.
icon is official art from (Touhou) Silent Sinner in Blue help me
iOlrickx's AvatariOlrickx

QUOTE originally posted by DequellJones3

it's not like anything we're saying truly matters. We're not mods, so it's not up to us.
I just want to quote something Niet himself stated on another suggestion.

QUOTE originally posted by Niet

"Change this because it's useless to me." Even if this were a good idea, I would reject it just because of that, to be honest... Think about the community, not just yourself, ok?
So yes, what we say and how we word things, does indeed matter.
Other
• Current Type Race points: 0 •
DequellJones3's AvatarDequellJones3

QUOTE originally posted by PadfootTheWolf

I want to take a moment to say something, and this is not just directed at you either. I dislike it when people say "well let's leave it up for the mods/staff to decide". It literally is up to the users to offer support or not for a suggestion. The main reason staff steps in to say no is that it's either game breaking or not in line with what they want PFQ to be. If users don't talk about suggestions, what's the point in having them? Staff have plenty of other things than to go through all the suggestions threads every day. It's also a little rude to both sides of the argument that you're saying what we talk about doesn't matter. If talking about stuff doesn't matter, why do we have a suggestion forum? Sorry for my rant.
It's perfectly fine. I think you may have misunderstood me, tho. I just meant that the fact that people are spending so much time arguing on something as simple as a little name fix seems a little silly to me. Had this been something that could change the game, I agree, ALL and ANY argument would be valued greatly. Something like this tho? A support/not supported and a few sentences of explanation is sufficient. Staff edit: posts merged.

QUOTE originally posted by iOlrickx

QUOTE originally posted by DequellJones3

it's not like anything we're saying truly matters. We're not mods, so it's not up to us.
I just want to quote something Niet himself stated on another suggestion.

QUOTE originally posted by Niet

"Change this because it's useless to me." Even if this were a good idea, I would reject it just because of that, to be honest... Think about the community, not just yourself, ok?
So yes, what we say and how we word things, does indeed matter.
Read what I just posted, I explained my opinion better.
Lucretia's AvatarLucretia
throwing in my support, although my opinion has basically been stated already; Feraligatr is canon. Like, no ifs ands or buts about it. It's canon. It will remain canon, most likely. There are some things on PFQ that stray from canon and work. Like the different uses for items or the genders on legendaries. But the random name change is just... unnecessary? It strays from canon in a way that doesn't add anything to the site. It just adds confusion and anger (as we can see from this thread). Just because something was meant to be something else doesn't mean it IS that something else. Feraligatr was MEANT to be Feraligator at one point, sure, but it ISN'T. It probably never will be Feraligator. Y'know? I dunno. Now that o bugs me too. 100% support though. I hope a mod settles this soon, lol.
I am quite OCD about spelling and such. I have personally never played Pokémon, aside from PFQ, so if it was named "Feraligatr" I would assume it was a typo, as it is technically impossible to pronounce. I have seen a lot of players on this site who have also never played the Pokémon games, so "Feraligator" would make more sense, grammatically speaking Sure it might be "Feraligatr" in the official games, but what makes them right? Why is their way of doing it correct? So, no support, there is no need to change it
0 points Mouse's Midnight Market! S/A/M sales, boxboxes, gem swaps, summon sales & more Avatar art by me
DequellJones3's AvatarDequellJones3

QUOTE originally posted by Mouse 13

I am quite OCD about spelling and such. I have personally never played Pokémon, aside from PFQ, so if it was named "Feraligatr" I would assume it was a typo, as it is technically impossible to pronounce. I have seen a lot of players on this site who have also never played the Pokémon games, so "Feraligator" would make more sense, grammatically speaking Sure it might be "Feraligatr" in the official games, but what makes them right? Why is their way of doing it correct? So, no support, there is no need to change it
The main games are correct because GF and Nintendo sorta own the rights to Pokemon... Edit: Also, it was originally spelled that way because there weren't enough characters. However, there are enough to fully spell out "Feraligator" and they purposely left out the o. So no, it was not a typo in the main series games.
maractus's Avatarmaractus

Sure it might be "Feraligatr" in the official games, but what makes them right? Why is their way of doing it correct?
"what makes them right" they kind of own the game...? they? were kind of the ones who created feraligatr in the first place........?
icon is official mogeko art of chlomaki
InkedMyths's AvatarInkedMyths
I too support Feraligatr. That's how it's spelled cannonically, regardless of the reason why. This is coming from someone who screams at run on sentences.
The only Calamity here is the state my life is in. Forum avatar art by me of Millium Orion from the Trails of Cold Steel series
Niet [Adam]'s AvatarNiet [Adam]
As time has passed and character limits have increased, many things have had their name changed. PRZCureBerry became Parlyz Heal in Gen3, then finally Paralyze Heal in Gen6. Thundershock became Thunder Shock. Compoundeyes became Compound Eyes. So why did Feraligatr remain unchanged? Because Pokémon species names are trademarks. You cannot change them once registered. They are literally powerless to make use of the new character limit. We are not bound by that and so Feraligator and Victreebell can enjoy their full, intended spellings.
Clip from Pokémon anime, re-lined by me
-- OMNOMNOM!
Featured story: Injustice Feedback welcome!

QUOTE originally posted by maractus

Sure it might be "Feraligatr" in the official games, but what makes them right? Why is their way of doing it correct?
"what makes them right" they kind of own the game...? they? were kind of the ones who created feraligatr in the first place........?
They don't own this game. Niet and Garth do ;) your point isn't a point

Pages: 1234

Cannot post: Please log in to post

© PokéFarm 2009-2024 (Full details)Contact | Rules | Privacy | Reviews 4.6★Get shortlink for this page