PFQ Banner

This is PokéFarm Q, a free online Pokémon collectables game.

Already a user? New to PFQ?

Less ambiguous icons to represent like/dislike?

Forum Index > Core > Suggestions > Completed >

arigateau's Avatararigateau
Is there a chance we could revamp the red heart/green heart icon system? When I first joined the site last week, it was super confusing to me what the red/green hearts meant, especially when it came to field types. Red hearts are a pretty universal symbol of "like" elsewhere. Coupled with the fact that, for example, ice type pokemon experience "green heart" in fire fields, it pretty seemed intuitive to me-- ice types would NOT be happy inside a volcano. So green hearts = bad, red hearts = good. Except it was the complete opposite. This might be helped by changing the red heart to an X mark, or the green heart to a check mark. Having different shapes for like and dislike would also adhere better to colorblindness web design standards.
Niet [Adam]'s AvatarNiet [Adam]
"Green = good, red = bad" is, at least in my opinion, fairly universal... But your point about colour-blindness is a very valid one. I shall look into some options there. Even if it's just making the red heart be a "broken heart" icon instead, that's better!
Clip from Pokémon anime, re-lined by me
-- OMNOMNOM!
Featured story: Injustice Feedback welcome!
Yeah! A broken heart would be perfect. Thanks for the speedy reply.
skiddo's Avatarskiddo

QUOTE originally posted by Niet

"Green = good, red = bad" is, at least in my opinion, fairly universal...
Yes, but context matters. There's a reason all the valentines cards feature red hearts instead of green ones :p I like the idea of dislike being a broken heart or a cross, to hopefully avoid others making the same mistake.
59 / 200
Not actively buying. Or actively doing anything in general.
(credits)
code by skiddo; banner by mochafox; sprite by pfq; bg is official
Enbees's AvatarEnbees
I also like the idea of a broken heart for dislike! I've long since come to understand them, but I will say they personally gave me a bit of pause as well at first, I think partially due to my experience with the Harvest Moon games; green hearts being around halfway to max affection, red hearts being max affection. So there definitely a moment of "okay is this saying green=they like it, and red=they love it, or like and dislike?" I definitely also agree that context matters, red and green are pretty universal, but when hearts are involved, a red heart is universally known as love, so using it to mean dislike can definitely give pause lol.
Current Type Race score = 0
Saving for Memory Stick!
352/200
All art by me.
CKewp's AvatarCKewp

QUOTE originally posted by Niet

"Green = good, red = bad" is, at least in my opinion, fairly universal...
I just realized with field types i thought the red hearts = love. I think it's because the heart shapes. red heart = love is also fairly universal, as @skiddo mentioned. It could be useful just to have a brief summary of what the like/dislike system is for fields in the tutorial, or something similar. It's mentioned in the beginner's guide but I didn't see it until now.
Niet [Adam]'s AvatarNiet [Adam]
Okay, how's that look? I just threw together some pixels :D
yeah!!!!!!!
Honey Bunny's AvatarHoney Bunny
I love it! You did an amazing job with it Niet!
Pfp from Pfq

Cannot post: Please log in to post

© PokéFarm 2009-2024 (Full details)Contact | Rules | Privacy | Reviews 4.6★Get shortlink for this page