PFQ Banner

This is PokéFarm Q, a free online Pokémon collectables game.

Already a user? New to PFQ?

Discord Server Ping Roles

Forum Index > Core > Suggestions > Completed >

Kieri's AvatarKieri
Stealing this idea from another server where it works quite well, but the addition of opt-in "No Pings" and "Pings Preferred" roles on the PFQ Discord server for those who don't want to be (reply-)pinged, or would prefer to be in conversations. Roles themselves aren't of too much use, but role icons can be used to add an indicator, as below: As it stands, I regularly see people pinging those who don't like pings, either because they forget (thanks Discord for making it default...) or don't know. An icon indicating a user prefers not to be pinged would keep it visible enough that when one goes to reply, it's likely to be noticed. Doesn't guarantee anything, but still. On the other hand, I myself (and several others) prefer to be pinged in replies as I regularly lose track of conversations, and a ping brings my attention back. Another role may help with this as well, as several users don't ping by default to avoid accidentally pinging someone who prefers not to be. This should be relatively straightforward to add to the server, and I don't see any particular downsides to the role inclusion, but happy to discuss~
Stay hydrated~ Avatar by Squidacious [p]
Kieri's AvatarKieri
Bump~
Kieri's AvatarKieri
Came up in discussion on the Discord server so I remembered this exists again. Bump~
JoanOfArceus's AvatarJoanOfArceus
I support this idea! It can be difficult for me to remember who does or doesn't like being pinged in the official discord. A role selection like this would help me greatly! That and it could prevent agitating people while they're busy. Is it possible that these roles could be changed by the user if necessary?
WIP - Assets are from DDLC
scavengers's Avatarscavengers
i wouldn't personally need this, but i see no reason for it not to be a thing! i've seen quite a few users leave chat/be made uncomfortable because people don't often check abouts for ping information, and a lot of people don't even realise that pinging might not be preferred by some people. would love to see this implemented.
pfp is pixel art, done by me! its my little alien hyena fella so cutest tiepnsy
Arretrea's AvatarArretrea
Support from me. Idk how hard/easy it is to do, but if possible, it would probably be a very good addition for the people that is bothered by it. It gets brought up fairly often on the discord, and since I have no idea how I managed to partially mute pings myself, I can't really suggest that to other people... :( Or, I could, but if they ask how, I'd have no idea.
Mudkip emoji, made by me
Score: 0
Niet [Adam]'s AvatarNiet [Adam]

QUOTE originally posted by toxiCandy

That and it could prevent agitating people while they're busy.
Okay but if someone is busy, they should use the tools that Discord already provides: ability to mute servers (temporarily or until further notice), Do Not Disturb mode, etc. When you reply to a user, it is not your responsibility to worry about "what if they don't want to be pinged?", it is their responsibility to mute pings if they do not want to be pinged. And if they don't know how? Well they can ask - either other Discord users, or Google - and find out.
This suggestion is, frankly, a waste of time. Instead of getting people to use existing Discord tools, the suggestion wants me to go out of my way to add a "role", that users can self-select, and it wants everyone to go out of their way to double-check every single person whose messages they want to reply to, to see if they have this role. Also they must do this without ever making a mistake because it might "upset" someone (who doesn't know how to use Discord properly). Just... no.
Clip from Pokémon anime, re-lined by me
-- OMNOMNOM!
Featured story: Injustice Feedback welcome!
With all due respect Niet, there was a nicer way of saying "no, I don't agree." I run a few servers and adding a role that simply says "No Pings" or "Pings" takes less than twenty seconds, and if they're self-added then that means the mods don't have to worry about going in and manually asking everyone and giving them that role. You mentioned users going out of their way to see, but if it is a role they're given, just like User or Booster, then no one would be going out of their way. It takes more time to ask if someone minds being pinged than to check their about me/roles which is one click. I personally don't care for pings so I don't know if a role or icon is better but I think a kinder rejection would have been better suited instead of insulting others by saying they don't know how to use things, no one's allowed to make mistakes, and calling their suggestion a waste of time. It's hurtful and it's discouraging. There are plenty of reasons why people don't like being pinged and turning off all pings for a server isn't always the answer, as there could be important things, like announcements or warnings, people miss out on. Maybe it's useless to you, but to others this would save numerous "I don't like being pinged"/"Don't ping me" messages. I've seen some users purposely ping users that don't like to be pinged and Cele had to step in. Something like this could help prevent that.
She/Her Avatar by Hoffnungstern on DeviantArt as a YCH Check out my shop!
Team Fire 2024 | Art by LilypadLife
Yeah, the mods are on my case about my response here too. Maybe I'm too close-minded about it. Moving to Under Consideration while further internal discussion takes place, but this is not a guarantee of implementation.

QUOTE originally posted by Sunnyoldbear

I've seen some users purposely ping users that don't like to be pinged and Cele had to step in. Something like this could help prevent that.
No... Implementing this suggestion would make that particular scenario worse, because it broadcasts to such trolls who is and isn't a "good target" for such trolling. But that's a separate issue anyway. Harrassment isn't gonna be tolerated either way.
It was implemented.

Cannot post: Please log in to post

© PokéFarm 2009-2024 (Full details)Contact | Rules | Privacy | Reviews 4.6★Get shortlink for this page