PFQ Banner

This is PokéFarm Q, a free online Pokémon collectables game.

Already a user? New to PFQ?

Replacement of 'Gender' from Outfit Customization

Forum Index > Core > Suggestions > Completed >

Pages: 123··· 567

Mirzam's AvatarMirzam
I hope this doesn't come off wrong, like white knighting or something, but one practical issue I see with non-descriptive labels or none at all is for those who are vision impaired. Counter point would be that the skin tone is already like this, using Roman numerals - are people able to navigate that ok? Are the skin differences more obvious? (Considering that some of the body type differences are less obvious in certain outfits) Possible workaround: Tag the selections with ARIA kind of stuff but leave the visible content generic or blank? If someone who is more familiar with web accessibility chimes in I'll butt out, I have to consider it for my work but I'll admit I'm no expert :x

Personal, likely unpopular opinion

I'm not gonna lie, I like the gendered labels slightly more than 1/2/3 etc, because it makes the selection process easy for me - the images were likely created with gender coding in mind, and so the labels tell me what to expect when I make the selection - both from the image itself, and from people's perceptions of me should I choose said image. Maybe that's not great for the world we should be working towards. Maybe I'm too disconnected from the concept of gender to properly understand other people's strong feelings on the matter. All that being said, I would give up my convenience for other's comfort, especially since it seems that level of discomfort is much larger than the degree of inconvenience. Especially since for many the body style is likely set and forget, so you only need to figure it out once. Sorry if this comes off insensitive or irrelevant. It's not meant as an actual request to not implement the suggestion - but I felt it important for full disclosure, since I am human and my preference could be affecting my judgement... I don't want the accessibility thing to be a mask for my "real" reasons, and so I want my "real" opinion here too.
Cele's AvatarCele
If you have concerns with how an issue was addressed, please message Garthic directly instead of posting in the forums. This suggestion has been implemented, so it will be moved into the Completed subforum. If you do not agree with this implementation, please feel free to create a new suggestion to propose your idea.
sig code and sig bg image made by me

Pages: 123··· 567

Cannot post: Please log in to post

© PokéFarm 2009-2024 (Full details)Contact | Rules | Privacy | Reviews 4.6★Get shortlink for this page