PFQ Banner

This is PokéFarm Q, a free online Pokémon collectables game.

Already a user? New to PFQ?

Single post in Sleight of Heart -- [COMPLETED]

Forum Index > Other > Original Fiction > Completed Original Fic > Sleight of Heart -- [COMPLETED] >

KadiroKapira's AvatarKadiroKapira

Part 7

I don’t find out. By the time we finish talking, it’s dark. Our chips are long gone, and we both agree to head back to the dorm for the night. It wasn’t the way I planned to spend the day, but I don’t have any complaints either. I know where I’ll be heading Monday morning, and despite the kiss, I really did enjoy spending the day with Marilyn. Guess I can drop the “Ms.” now. Weird as she is, I think I’ll be able to tolerate her for as long as we’re staying in the same dorm. However, part of me still hopes today is a fluke, and she’ll have lost interest by tomorrow. I will feel more comfortable if I can return to “Plan A” and become the most anti-social person on campus. As we leave the union through the food court’s exit, I notice the campus looks much different at night. Scattered along the streets and walkways weaving the grounds are numerous, lit street lamps that give the area a serene glow while crickets chirp their overlapping tunes. Marilyn pauses for a moment to take in the scene. “You know…” she starts, but is cut off by a tune from her phone. For some reason, it sounds familiar, but I can’t figure out why. Curiously, she checks the screen, and a wide smile almost instantly spreads across her face. She holds up a finger to me and steps out of earshot while answering the call. I nod slightly. For a brief moment, I feel taken aback… as if someone is infringing on our time. But then I remember my place and settle down after a breath. Why in the world should I care who she’s talking to? And more importantly, what business is it of mine? Absolutely none. I return my attention to the peaceful campus and note the arrangement of buildings beyond the union’s parking lot. Narrow roads separate each structure, and a couple have sparsely filled parking lots visible from where I stand. My first guess is they’re all dormitories, especially since all of my classes are in buildings on the opposite side of the union. I notice a light colored sedan slowly driving down one of the roads, heading away from the union. I think I can use the scene to practice mood setting as well as sketching backgrounds. I make a mental note to return here tomorrow night before returning my attention to Marilyn. Her call had apparently ended. Gripping the phone tightly in her hand, she stares blankly at the ground and huffs. Feeling a frown creasing my brow, I lower my head slightly and ask, “You okay?” A smile quickly claims her face as she turns to me. “You know it.” Liar. This time, her smile doesn’t even look the same as earlier. Whatever that call was about, she doesn’t care to share it… which suits me just fine. “But can you do me a favor? Can we take a picture together? You’re my first friend here, and I want to show you off to my sister.” Was it her sister on the phone? I shrug. “I guess so.” “Yay!” she enthusiastically cheers before pressing a couple icons on her phone’s screen and snuggling next to me. She raises the phone and aims it down at her face. I have to crouch slightly to see my face next to hers in the frame of her phone. She poses with a flirty pout, and I manage a smirk before she snaps the pic. The flash temporarily blinds me, but Marilyn hastily goes to work pressing icons before I can blink away the spot in my vision. “Thanks, Karl. I owe you.” What? What did that mean? “Owe me for what?”
© PokéFarm 2009-2024 (Full details)Contact | Rules | Privacy | Reviews 4.6★Get shortlink for this page