PFQ Banner

This is PokéFarm Q, a free online Pokémon collectables game.

Already a user? New to PFQ?

Single post in Retrieving Farm Notepad Contents through API

Forum Index > Core > Suggestions > Retrieving Farm Notepad Contents through API >

Hakano Riku's AvatarHakano Riku
While I think it would be quite amazing as someone who also likes to poke around with code, I think the limitations of the current site are what makes this not viable. At least, not easily so. The original version of the website was released back in 2009! Quite early for the internet, considering Youtube was only just launched four years prior (just for reference). The APIs and programming languages used in websites back then were just kicking off and were NOTHING compared to what they are now. After the initial launch of the website, Niet changed site code as and when (and has been the sole programmer for the website mind you); long story short, it's a bit of a mess and not at all easy to work with, and new APIs and code are only strung in where possible, hence the new site being worked on from scratch. The new site should be MUCH easier to work with and easily allow for a website API. At least, that's the goal haha. So while I would also like this, I just don't believe it's easily viable right now and even if it were it might be a bit hacky to work with. For example, calling a request to the server for a notepad file will return text in the form of the HTML that is displayed; you would need to then parse the HTML for the actual text you want anyway. Not as easy as just, "get this file's text". Niet would have to entirely change the website - from scratch - to fix these behaviors in every little corner. Unfortunately, the best way to fit your needs right now is to use an external source for holding your text files such as Github, Dropbox, or anywhere else that allows you to overwrite/update files, or work around the hacky nature of much of the current code.. I will say though, it is possible to use the notepad if you're willing to put up with how it works and use the dev tools though! (If I'm wrong and it is more viable than I think; +1 to suggestion lol)
Avatar of Dian Rubens from Spice & Wolf
Type Race Score: 0
Type Race Clicklist: HERE
© PokéFarm 2009-2024 (Full details)Contact | Rules | Privacy | Reviews 4.6★Get shortlink for this page