PFQ Banner

This is PokéFarm Q, a free online Pokémon collectables game.

Already a user? New to PFQ?

Single post in Crunch Time- A Foodies Clan

Forum Index > Other > Other Clans > Crunch Time- A Foodies Clan >

Cele's AvatarCele
[EDITING, post WIP / construction] I have an addiction issue with all things well-spiced and pumpkiny, so let's go.

Pumpkin Pie

You will need:
  • 1 pie crust
  • 1 small pumpkin
  • 1 splash heavy cream
  • 1 egg
Plus unknowable and potentially sinful amounts of the following:
  • Vanilla
  • Brown sugar
  • Cinnamon
  • Nutmeg
  • Cardamom
  • Cloves
  • Allspice
  • Ginger
Do the thing, Zhu Li:
  1. Wash and peel your pumpkin. I found that my potato peeler was excellent for this, leaving a generous amount of the meat behind. That's what you want. Cut off your stem as close as you can, and do the same with the blossom end of the pumpkin — that is, the brown circle beneath.
  2. Cut your pumpkin into sections, starting with halves and continuing until you have slivers that fit well in your hand.
  3. Scoop the seeds and the fibrous strands of funiculus, or pumpkin guts, out of each sliver using a spoon. The recipe does not use these removed parts.
  4. Cut the slivers of pumpkin meat into chunks.
  5. Pour pumpkin meat chunks into a large, deep pan and add 1.5 inches or 4cm of water, bring to a bubbling boil.
  6. As the pumpkin meat steams and tenderizes, mash into the water with a potato masher, continuing to boil.
  7. You'll be continuing to boil to reduce it now. Once you've got it to a decent consistency, turn off the heat and use a wire mesh strainer or similar to drain off excess liquid. Keep the more solid portion.
  8. Using a large blender, put the solid portion you just strained in. I know this is a wet ingredient, but I like being able to taste my seasonings without risking salmonella poisoning so this is where I added them in. All my spices were powders aside from the vanilla, which was a liquid extract, but toss them all in as well as the brown sugar, tasting and adjusting until you feel like you've gotten it right. Don't be afraid to use a lot of all of them. I winged it pretty hard and my pie turned out great.
  9. When you're happy with the seasonings, add your splash of heavy cream and the egg, and then blend it thoroughly.
  10. Blind bake your pie crust for a few minutes to set it.
Options for waste:
  • I like to pick the seeds out and set them aside to dry because they make an excellent salted roasted snack.
  • Dry the seeds to save and plant in spring.
  • You can compost the stem, blossom end, skin, seeds, and the funiculus. You can do the same with the eggshell.
  • If you have a pet that can safely consume pumpkin parts, these waste products from your project may make a very healthy snack for them. Just be careful about the stem; they may be able to nibble some meat off the bottom of it, but watch and remove it when they're done.
This was ridiculously, stupidly good. Like, it earned compliments from people twice my age when I've never made pumpkin pie myself before. Do it. Let me know what you think! Also, yes I've watched ATLA and yes I loved it. 💙✨
sig code and sig bg image made by me
© PokéFarm 2009-2024 (Full details)Contact | Rules | Privacy | Reviews 4.6★Get shortlink for this page