PFQ Banner

This is PokéFarm Q, a free online Pokémon collectables game.

Already a user? New to PFQ?

Single post in Sprite Discovery Discussion

Forum Index > PokéFarm > Discussion > Sprite Discovery Discussion >

SUNNELIØN's AvatarSUNNELIØN
I'd also like to add, as someone in the original exchange of three (3) posts, that in my opinion I wasn't particularly heated in the exchange-- I even ran my reply by a friend to make sure it wasn't combative!-- and the resulting thread lock seemed a little heavy-handed, giving the impression that any disagreement in discussion wasn't allowed. Forgive me if I'm wrong, but since this is a discussion thread, it should be fine to discuss disagreements, yes? I didn't continue the discussion because it felt like Seejay wasn't interested in actually discussing anything from the passive-aggression in his reply. But that's a done deal. Relevantly, I also really like the adjustments to the solosis line's base sprites. I think the adjusted shading actually portrays their squishiness a lot better than the canon ones! And while I personally think the colors on the specials are so-so-- the albinos are nice but the melans are ehhh-- they're still certainly an improvement. The old sprites had the basic albino creamy pale yellow with pink/red details and "solosis line but black and white" melan, but now they have much more personality :)! I do think that the line's color palette could be improved by bringing the melan's saturated magenta-ish colors a little closer to the body color with a more blueish-purple than a reddish purple. Especially since the melans are "intended" to follow the shiny coloration, more or less, perhaps a more indigo-blueish-purple color would suit the line? Also, shoutout to how the little orbs in the arms go from green -> blue -> purple. mirroring how the base sprite's go green/yellow -> orange -> red. That's such a nice little detail! And as one last note, very loosely addressing some of the comments here about the revamp project as a whole that've come about while I was typing, something that I remember seeing way back when the recolor project started is that the goal of the revamps isn't "just because they're old" or whatever. The goal is consistency! IIRC, art staff wants the albinos to follow the color schemes of the base sprites, and the melans to follow the color scheme of the shinies. So, the revamps not only often use better color palettes for more cohesive sprites, but they also adjust the color schemes/placements to reflect the melanistic design being, quite literally, a shiny albino. A really good recent example of this is in the new melan Ducklett line sprites, where Ducklett has a much darker/more saturated color while Swanna is paler/lighter, reflecting how shiny Ducklett changes a lot from the base sprite to a bright pink while Swanna's changes are much more subtle. Additionally, Swanna's color cools from the pink of Ducklett into a soft purple. The original melanistic sprites for both Ducklett and Swanna used the same grey and blue for the base color and the feather tuft, completely ignoring these nuances within and between the line's shiny sprites, so they were changed.
-> ->
It'd be silly to expect everyone to like these types of changes, but I respect that art staff decided with later generations of sprites to commit to the melans being "shiny albinos" and strive to make that consistent through the entire pokedex. I didn't even realize myself until I typed out the above example how much thought went into these sprites.
S U N N E L I O N sunne ☀ they/them ☀ 21 ☀ 0
S U N N E L I O N my shop art shop
S U N N E L I O N pfp: me sig img: norowa code: altered
© PokéFarm 2009-2024 (Full details)Contact | Rules | Privacy | Reviews 4.6★Get shortlink for this page