PFQ Banner

This is PokéFarm Q, a free online Pokémon collectables game.

Already a user? New to PFQ?

Single post in Sprite Discovery Discussion

Forum Index > PokéFarm > Discussion > Sprite Discovery Discussion >

Corviknight's AvatarCorviknight
Ah, I know a lot of this is personal preference, but I will throw my hat in the ring because this has been bugging me for a while... I promise I don't mean this as a slight to the artists, I tried to phrase things nicely so hopefully it doesn't come off wrong u__u I get that for melan Raichu it was changed to be more saturated because the shiny was more saturated. But I feel like what is failing to be considered is that saturation on dark colors is far more severe on the eyes in terms of color theory. As an artist I desaturate my darks quite a lot, and to me, the new Raichu doesn't even look "dark" at all to me, just a super deep blue, and it's rather unappealing compared to a subtler blue. I'm not saying the old melan was perfect either, I don't care for the eyes and the blue needed tweaks, but I don't personally feel that this was a step in the right direction. I've noticed a lot of recent melan revamps are heading in that same "neon" direction. I am really not a fan, and it doesn't really look "melanistic" to me in any capacity, or even darkly colored, they just look like alternate shiny palettes. I don't think following the saturation of the shiny sprites 100% is wise, because in terms of color theory, you just can't shift the brightness down and have it look good all of the time. Just one of those things where I feel "consistency" needs to be balanced more with what's appropriate for a melanistic coloration. Matching saturation and hues across the wheels with other sprites also has an unintentional effect of making it look like someone just played around with the hue and brightness slider, which I know the staff doesn't do, but it's so much cooler to have sprites with more character and uniqueness. I guess the tl;dr is that it seems strange to me that the revamps happened in the first place because the sprites were too neon, and now we're looping back in that same direction with neon sprites (in some cases).
official project sekai art; icon is official TCG art
he/him + 22 + cst
© PokéFarm 2009-2024 (Full details)Contact | Rules | Privacy | Reviews 4.6★Get shortlink for this page