PFQ Banner

This is PokéFarm Q, a free online Pokémon collectables game.

Already a user? New to PFQ?

Single post in Sprite Discovery Discussion

Forum Index > PokéFarm > Discussion > Sprite Discovery Discussion >

Rokon's AvatarRokon

QUOTE originally posted by DuchessLunaire

When it comes to the Albino/Leucistic, I like the updated versions cause I love consistency. I am happy that the staff found/set their certain rules when it comes to coloring these in, cause it makes it look as a whole set and not just a collection of "what looks good/cool".
Oh, same. As I said, I stan zombie Marowak.

And if there is a certain sprite you don't like I am sure that with some coding that is fixable?
There most certainly is. I'm personally (and slowly) building a code that replaces sprites with their HGSS counterparts. No bad on staff, I just hate some B/W stuff :p

I am currently learning how to sprite so please take my words with a grain of salt. But the shading in my eyes looks correct? The official sprites seem to follow a certain set of logic and guidelines when it comes to shading, from what I can tell the art staff follows those guidelines.
I don't think the shading defies logic; quite the opposite, they do a great job. I think that it doesn't follow the style of B/W. They go overboard with miniature details that are primarily absent in official sprites, and these mininute focuses make the sprites hard to digest.

I dont really see what is wrong shading wise with Faemísimo so I will skip that one before I say a dumb thing XD
It lacks a hard, focused light. Look up pillow shading.

When it comes to Goldesem I can immidiatly tell it is flying/floating because of the way the feathers/ribbons?
I didn't say it wasn't flying. I said I can't tell apart its pieces and that the way its body is positioned while floating is hard to tell due to the lack of coherent lines. Please read my post, after all of looking over your review what I can tell is that you didn't get my point anywhere. I don't mean this like, in a rude way. It's just frustrating to address someone who's arguing against something that was never proposed.

Desert Phasmaleef is based of a stick bug I believe at least in my head and those tend to be just one color. Its their whole act, they blend in pretending to be a stick. Phasmaleefs pokedex entry is all about how it uses its environment as protection from predators. Having a lot of contrast would work against this pokemon a lot.
I can concede on the logic of having very similar colours. But at the end of the day, remember that you're making art for people to look at. The environmental touch is nice and still plausible with contrast. Geodude is supposed to just look like a rock. It doesn't look mono-colour or otherwise an odd blend. Also, its forearms still look like they could be attached to either arm, and that's an issue regardless of your colour choice intentions.

As for minibitt I kinda agree and dissagree.
Don't have a ton to say regarding your points of Terabbit (which was the sprite in question, not Minibbit). Fair points. As I said, I hold bias due to my loathing of the Minibbit line all the way back to PF1. I've always felt it was wildly inappropriate in a Pokemon setting.

Kalahowli is based of a african wild dog I believe, and they have really buisy patterns so I completely understand that at first glance it is hard to see what is pattern and what is shading but if you look at it a bit closer and longer thigns at least for me start to make sense?
Here's the thing, DL: we aren't going to sit and stare at these sprites for 10 minutes like I did while writing the analysis on PFQ shading. Most people will look at it at normal resolution. We should be able to tell with only a few moments of looking what we're dealing with. Yes, Kalahowli is based on the complicated patterns of african wild dogs. That doesn't give it a free pass. Hence to me posting canon complicated designs.

I have cared for roosters in the past and I always remember their beautifull shiny tail feathers, so to me the highlights on Toxitrice look normal. To me they would look weird witouth.
I don't mean to scare you but we have a canon chicken line called the Torchic family which is also based on chickens. We also have Tropius whose butt is literally leaves. Ho-oh is based on a phoenix, but easily draws reference from peacocks. The highlights need to go.

Lastly to go with the mega's and pfq going for the more is better stuff... have you looked at the official mega evolutions? They are all about more wings, more spikes, more flowers, more ribbons, more hair etc.
The issue isn't more. If you think that, my post went over your heard. The issue is clarity. ---- I get your post was to say how others may interpret things. But please actually read what I was arguing... Your reply completely baffles me. I'm not questioning the interpretation of the sprites. I'm pointing out how it's different from B/W's style and in what ways.
cee - he/she/they - 21 icon from Rachel and Jun youtube sig sprite by me stoked sparksurfer! everything i post is to be read in the flattest voice possible
© PokéFarm 2009-2024 (Full details)Contact | Rules | Privacy | Reviews 4.6★Get shortlink for this page