PFQ Banner

This is PokéFarm Q, a free online Pokémon collectables game.

Already a user? New to PFQ?

Single post in The Becoming [A Pokémon Fanfiction] [PG-13] [COMPLETE]

Forum Index > Pokémon > Pokémon FF > Completed Pkmn FF > The Becoming [A Pokémon Fanfiction] [PG-13] [COMPLETE] >

Peridot Prior's AvatarPeridot Prior

This post contains one or more BBCode Errors and cannot be displayed properly.

Error: Unexpected [/background] - expected [/css] (opened on line 1) on line 93

If this is your post, please edit it to correct these errors. For now, the post will be shown raw, with no BBCode processing.

[IMG]http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2014/208/c/2/riolu_top1_by_brookreed-d7si9i1.png[/IMG][background=http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2014/208/7/2/riolu_middle1_by_brookreed-d7si9i6.png][css=padding-left:15px;padding-right:13px][color=lightgray][font=Times New Roman][center][size=11]♣ [b]Chapter 3[/b] ♣[/size][/center]The following day, Nodi gathers us outside. The sun shines brightly off the ever-present snow; by now, my paws have grown used to the cold, and my eyes to the glare. “Today we’re going to play a little game. Can you guess what the purpose of this exercise is?” Nodi says. “To show that Reason can’t hope to ever win a battle?” Gallant guesses with a brief glance in my direction. I shoot her a glare and stick out my tongue at her. Nodi shakes her head, ignoring the comment. “This game will serve to improve your speed as well as your quick thinking.” “Who needs speed when you can just sneak up on the opponent?” Snark asks. I glance at the Sneasel. For some reason, he seems to disappear if you don't pay attention to him. It's a bit unnerving, and even more unnerving to see the slash-mark scar across one of his eyes. “A Pokémon with well-rounded stats will be ready for any situation. Now, let me explain how this will work.” Nodi points to a large tumble of rocks that lead up towards the top of a cliff on the mountainside. “At the top of that cliff is a purple flag. Your goal is to claim it.” “That’s it?” Prior asks. “No tricks this time?” “Well, you’ll be competing against your fellow trainees. I have no idea what tricks they have up their metaphorical sleeves.” Nodi tips her head to the side. “Any more questions?” “Ha! This’ll be easy!” Prior declares. I glance at him, and I can see he’s already plotting a course up to the flag with his eyes. “If you’re ready, then...go!” The four of us take off in a flurry of snow. Gallant rushes ahead, with Prior on her tail. Snark is beside me--a moment later, he tackles me, attacking with sharp claws. “The newbie can’t even keep up!” Gallant taunts from the front as I wrestle with Snark, trying to avoid the Sneasl’s strikes. “He’s usele--oof!” Prior has taken advantage of her distraction, slamming into her and sending her skidding off course. Prior leaps onto the first rock in the pile, beginning to climb. Snark leaps off me and races ahead, leaping after Prior. I scramble to my paws and rush after him. Gallant catches up to me, and we race side by side, reaching the top of the first rock together. “You’ll have to do better than that!” I say, and swipe at her with a paw. “Idiot!” In one swift movement she slashes me with the sharp sail on her arm, sending me reeling backwards and crashing down to the bottom of the rock pile. The impact jolts me, and I lay on the ground, the wind knocked from me. My earlier excitement vanishes, and I gasp for air, trying to recover. “Get up, Reason!” Nodi shouts. I cannot. I am frozen, too dazed to move. The others are too far ahead now...I can’t win...I can’t win... “Reason! Get in there! You said it yourself that you wouldn’t quit. I expect you to keep that promise.” Nodi’s voice is encouraging, but firm. I raise my head. I can’t quit now. I have...to get...[i]stronger[/i]. I force myself to my feet as a rush of determination flashes through me, and leap onto the first rock. I am still dizzy, but I ignore the feeling and leap to the next rock, and the next. Up ahead, Snark is in the lead, and Prior and Gallant are close behind, duking it out in a fierce fight. “Here I come!” I shout, rushing towards the two fighting Pokémon. I manage to tackle Prior from behind. As I pin him down triumphantly, however, there is a sudden, blinding flash of light. The Prinplup’s body begins to glow, and the glowing light begins to change shape. In another flash the light vanishes, and towering above me on the rocks is an Empoleon. Prior, now evolved, does not hesitate in my moment of awe and confusion. He slashes towards me with a bladed wing. I leap upwards to avoid the attack, barely managing to dodge. A blur rushes past me, and I can see Gallant still racing for the target. She turns slightly so that I catch the sneer on her face. Prior lets out a cry of anger and a burst of water appears, propelling him towards the Gabite. He opens his beak and shoots a beam of water. The Aqua Jet attack hits home, and Gallant stumbles. I race side by side with Prior now. Ahead, Snark is reaching for the flag. I speed up. I [i]will[/i] win. I slam into Snark, pulling him away just before he can grab the flag. Just before we can both fall from the rock pile, I hurl him away from me, sending him tumbling back down. I was hoping Snark would hit Prior on the way, but Prior dodges and rushes at me. I make a grab for the flag, hooking it over my paw just as Prior barrels into me. We both go crashing down, landing hard on the snow below. I shake my head to try to clear the dizziness, but as I do I feel the flag tugged from my paw. “Hey!” I shout, rolling to my feet as Gallant presents the purple flag to Nodi. “I reached the flag first!” Gallant glances over her shoulder. “There was nothing about reaching it first. It was simply whoever claims it.” Nodi nods once. “Fair enough. Gallant wins!” “What?!” I shout. I had worked so hard, and was sure I would win. I [I]had[/I] won. Gallant had taken my victory from me. Behind me I can hear Prior sitting up slowly. He rubs his right wing. “Oooh, my flipper...” I should be concerned about him, but I can only focus on Gallant and the smug look she wears on her face, holding the purple flag on her claw. “As for you, Prior,” Nodi says. “You performed well.” “You bet I did!” The Empoleon drops his wings to his sides and stands proudly, the sunlight glimmering off his three long, pointed horns. I grit my teeth. That should have been my flag. It [i]was[/i] my flag, [i]is[/i] my flag! I growl softly to myself. Next time I wouldn't be so stupid...I would evolve to my most powerful form and win, just as Prior had done. Yes, that’s what I’ll do. I will evolve and surpass everyone. Then not even Gallant can use cheap tricks like that to beat me. “The newbie is still standing,” Gallant says with a mocking laugh. I lunge at her, attempting to hit her with my paw. She darts nimbly out of the way with a cackle. “You know what I’m going to do, Reason? I’m going to wear this flag so that every time you see me, you remember that I beat you.” She ties the purple cloth around her neck, and then turns her back. “See you later, newbie.” She heads off across the snowy field. I stare after her, glowering. Prior clears his throat. I turn to look back at him, where he is speaking to Nodi. “So...now the important matter. I know I still have more to learn, but...I think it’s time for me to go.” I stare at him. I had only gotten to know him yesterday. I thought we were forming a friendship. Was he saying he wanted to leave--already? “But we didn’t get to train against each other!” I protest. I glance at Snark, who joined us unnoticed. “Snark, help me out, here!” Snark glances at me and shakes his head silently. “Perhaps we’ll meet again someday, Reason. Then we can have that battle.” He turns to Nodi. “Thank you...for all you’ve done.” “You take care, Prior. And we’re always here, if you ever decide to come back. Keep that stiff wing in good shape, just like I taught you.” Prior flexes his wing and then embraces Nodi. “Goodbye...” As Nodi and Snark turn to head back to the cave, I watch Prior as he walks in the opposite direction. I had been hoping to become friends with him--he was the first friend I would have ever made. I wanted us to try to reach our goals together, to get stronger. I guess I’ll just have to get stronger for the both of us now.[hr][center][color=white]♣ [url=http://q.pokefarm.org/forum/post/360854][color=white][u]Go to next chapter[/u][/color][/url] ♣[/color][/center][/font][/color][/background][/css][IMG]http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2014/208/4/a/riolu_bottom1_by_brookreed-d7si9ib.png[/IMG]
Links:DeviantArtGeneration IV ClanMy FanfictionPilcrow Pines Art ShoppeMy JournalCurrent Mood: Entering the new age of art. Feel free to send me your art, fanfiction, and roleplays. I'm always willing to take a look at them. Like my signature and avatar? Commission your own at my art shoppe. ...Look at all this space I haven't used.
© PokéFarm 2009-2024 (Full details)Contact | Rules | Privacy | Reviews 4.6★Get shortlink for this page