PFQ Banner

This is PokéFarm Q, a free online Pokémon collectables game.

Already a user? New to PFQ?

Single post in Sprite Discovery Discussion

Forum Index > PokéFarm > Discussion > Sprite Discovery Discussion >

*Pushes glasses up nose* (⌐■_■) Actually it's not a seahorse, it's a Hyppocampus. ...Lame jokes aside (since they are just gigantic deadly seahorses xD), the design is actually based on the mythical Hyppocampi sea monster. It has the upper body of a horse and the lower body of a fish~ Glaquine is, hopefully obvious, Glacier + Equine. Cavallost is a combination of three words; > "Cavallo", which is italian for horse > "Cavalry" cheers luv, the cavalry's 'ere!, which is soldiers who fought on horseback in the oldern days (and which refers to the armour on the design) > and finally "Frost" to make the -ost part. Because ice! I designed it with the idea that it burrows itself into the snow and swims/slides around with its fins sticking out, glowing like fire to attract weary travellers and cold pokemon. Then it eats 'em! Why isn't it fire-typed? Well, that's because what you're actually seeing with the fins isn't fire, but rather a pattern designed to look like fire (which even fooled you all ;3) similar to how some types of moth wing-patterns look like gigantic eyes, or how some non-venemous snakes and frogs have developed the same patterns as venemous ones so they don't get eaten. And, of course, anglerfish! You were right on the money, Zen! Why isn't it water-typed/in the water? Let me ask a question in return~ How do you know it can't go in the water/swim? ;) Dratini is found in the water and, despite that, isn't a water type! LeafGreen's pokedex entry is for dratini is: "Long considered a mythical Pokémon until recently, when a small colony was found living underwater." And Ultra Sun's pokedex entry for dratini is: "It's still weak, so it lurks on the floor of bodies of water, eating whatever food sinks down and living a quiet life." Similarly, dragonair: PKMN Stadium: "Lives in large bodies of water like the sea and lakes. It is said to have the power to change the weather and fly." Firered: "It is said to live in seas and lakes. Even though it has no wings, it has been seen flying occasionally." Ultra Sun: "Lakes where Dragonair live are filled with offerings from people, because they believe this Pokémon is able to control the weather." Because they spend more time above-ground in the snow to hunt their prey, it seemed a bit silly to have yet another water/ice type just for the sake of having it be water/ice. But just because a pokemon isn't water-typed doesn't mean it can't swim or hunt in the water! I like to twist expectations on their heads, and that's what this pokemon is all about~ The whole "burrows in the snow" part is also why I chose such "dull" and "pale" skin tones. They needed to be able to blend in, and I almost went with white before realising that might give them trouble in the water when their *bright white* scales reflect the sunlight. Ultimately, it made more sense to stick to icy colours, and then go all-out with the Shiny/Albino/Melanistic. I go into a little more detail about my inspiration and the design changes it went through in my journal, if anyone is interested more in the technical stuff and my full thought process, as well as art of my cute babies ~<3 Hope everyone likes the new addition to the fakemon family~! ^w^
Edited by Chronos
Edited by Me
Edited by Me
Edited by Me
Credits; Icon (see below), Signature
TCG Artwork
Icon is from the official Love Live School Idol Festival Mobile App <3
© PokéFarm 2009-2024 (Full details)Contact | Rules | Privacy | Reviews 4.6★Get shortlink for this page