PFQ Banner

This is PokéFarm Q, a free online Pokémon collectables game.

Already a user? New to PFQ?

Single post in General Feedback thread

Forum Index > PokéFarm > Discussion > General Feedback thread >

Kazzie's AvatarKazzie
So I've got some criticism, and I've got some corrections to make involving the legal disclaimer in the full details page of Pokefarm. I'll separate both points with a line of hyphens. Let me know if the legality point should go elsewhere. I'm gonna be honest when I say that this website's overall design is...rather poor. I've only been around for a few days but I just cannot get into this. There's tons of buttons creating useless clutter, and the button layout in general is confusing and unwelcoming. For example: why is there a rules button and a wiki button on the top and bottom of every page? Why can't there be a singular page for events and news? Why are some useful links in "More..." and "Other Links", such as the one for summoning items (which is never seen in any other page), placed alongside links like the one for the albino radar, which already has a button on literally every single page in the top menu bar? Why are genuinely notable areas, such as the Fishing Hut and Trade Centre that I only found just now, hidden under "More..." and "Nearby Places"? The way that these are placed creates a problem similar to the "Games & More" button on the main menu of Smash Wii U/3DS; it isn't immediately obvious as to how significant the button is, and, in fact, it's made out to look completely the opposite. The menu that pops up when you click the hamburger button under a Pokemon could be a lot better, too. And speaking of that hamburger button, I couldn't even find out where to edit my trainer avatar for a while because it's also kind of hidden; and when I did, I was met with a very barebones avatar editor (which, while offtopic, was disappointing). In general, a lot of these pages could be condensed, removed, or laid out better, because it feels like I'm browsing a website from the 1990s that's trying to look like a website from the 2010s. Not only that, but attempting to play Pokefarm without spending a cent is made difficult by the fact that every account upgrade is insanely expensive if you're trying to purchase them using credits. And that in of itself is made problematic by the slow, awful grinding process of getting interactions. There is no real quick and tolerable way to do it, and the maximum rate at which you can get interactions using the best and quickest possible method is pitiful, at least for what some of these upgrades cost (+/- 40 every 7 seconds in absolute best conditions). Please rework this into something more efficient, easier to find, and less time-intensive if possible. Pokefarm's active userbase will grow if it provides a system that's friendly to new players, efficient for those who want to invest a little bit more time (allowing new players to become returning players), and doesn't require so much attention. Pokefarm's tutorial can take days if new players can't immediately find and get accustomed to sorted/stacked fields, and that very nearly turned me off right after I started. And I'm still turned off due to how unintuitive and sluggish it is anyway. ---------- By the way, I want to take a moment to point out all of the faults in an excerpt taken from the "Full Details" page.

QUOTE originally posted by Pokefarm Details

We are often asked "how is this legal?" when it comes to the use of Pokémon characters. They are, after all, Nintendo's Intellectual Property. The late Satoru Iwata (4th president and CEO of Nintendo) was asked about Nintendo's stance towards fan works. Long story short, they are not interested in criminalising people who do something out of affection for Nintendo. You can read his full answer here (Question 14). PokéFarm Q is a show of love for Pokémon, both from us as creators and our community as players.
This misses a very important detail stated in Iwata's answer that says that they cannot allow works that are threatening their intellectual property. They won't criminalize people who do something out of affection, but they will rightfully criminalize people who are using their IP illegally, as any company looking to protect their IP should. Pokefarm isn't "legal" because you "show love" for Pokemon, it's "legal" because Pokefarm is inferior to the official games and doesn't get nearly as much attention. It is not seen and targeted as competition, because it is, quite frankly and objectively, not as good as what's made officially. On the other hand, lots of fangames were taken down because they were really popular, and they had so much effort put into them that it made them feel like real Pokemon games; all-new stories, new regions, sometimes even new Pokemon, new mechanics, and the prominent in-depth battling system that isn't sorely dumbed down to the point of being braindead easy (i haven't seen pokefarm's yet, so i cannot speak for it). If a new fan was shown one of those Pokemon fangames, it'd almost be indistinguishable from official games. They would see that as competition, not an online egg hatching simulator. That's the only reason why Pokefarm is, quote-unquote, "legal." In the end, making money off of others' IPs is and always will be illegal in most scenarios unless you're dealing with an indie developer who's feeling nice. And the sad reality is that if you make a really good fangame for free instead, with all of those intricate details like in-depth battling, a good story, et cetera, it'll get shut down too because of the simple logic threatening the protection of the Pokemon IP that is "why purchase a pokemon game for $40, when I can download this awesome fangame for free?" Regardless of whether or not you think this ideology actually helps with the sales of the Pokemon games, TPCI (not Nintendo; see below paragraph) finds it harmful and dangerous to the protection of their IP. It's difficult to come to a balance, and regardless of whether your fangame or website is totally free or paid-for, the best solution is always to just put your talents into an original IP. But I digress. As a sidenote to distinguish which companies own what; Nintendo does not own or control the Pokemon IP fully, as they own a third of the IP, and all they do is simply handle publishing and some licensing. Creatures Inc owns another third (they handle the TCG and have made a few spinoff games), and Gamefreak owns the last third (they create the main-series games we all know and love). The three of them are affiliates of The Pokemon Company International, which you could guess is the company that actually owns Pokemon. So...no, Pokemon is not Nintendo's Intellectual Property, although they do own a portion of the IP. The fact that this isn't common knowledge in a day and age where the internet lies in the palm of your hands is astonishing.
© PokéFarm 2009-2024 (Full details)Contact | Rules | Privacy | Reviews 4.6★Get shortlink for this page